Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Gamerofthegame posted:

Game's cute. It's hella Tropico tho, to the point I'd say take Tropico and nix the banana republic charm and add sci-fi trappings instead and presto, surviving mars.

It isn't bad. I'd recommend waiting for a sale, though.

If nothing else the pacing on the game is very strange. It's slooow, to the point I'm honestly not sure how that got through QA.

I gotta agree on the pacing, I'm enjoying myself but I took the day off for this and after about 8 hours of play I have 1 small and 1 medium dome and am just now considering a third. I got my first hints of The Mystery 30 minutes ago.

This game feels like 50% a more complex Banished, 20% a simpler Anno, 30% population management of Tropico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah the inability to connect domes really squashes a lot. would be cool to build one dome of farms, another of apartments, central one with services etc.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's weird too because connected domes were shown in early screenshots.

Anyway I fired up my first game last night. I picked the Church of the New Dawn because I've watched the streams so I totally know how to play :smug: It hasn't gone well.

First of all you only get 1 rocket, you get 0 sponsor research and rare metals exported yield 20m. Everything so far has been a constant battle against death spiralling out of control, with a total loss of power at least 3 times so far. The first time a dust devil took out my entire powergrid, the second one was a big freeze and the third time was another dust devil. This all happened immediately after my founder stage and I've lost probably 6 colonists to deaths so far and another 8 to earth sickness. The last dust devil also took out my drone hub and drone rover so I had to sit there for a long time until my rocket got back and repaired the grid.

This is fine.

I finally managed to stabilize my colony last night, bringing in more geologists, a pair of medics and some scientists to keep my metal extractor working and went to bed just before another big freeze started. I have doubts I'll survive this freeze but I have ultra sensitive solar panels so I might be able to squeeze through if I stop all other productions.

Game is rad.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah the inability to connect domes really squashes a lot. would be cool to build one dome of farms, another of apartments, central one with services etc.

:yeah:

How can I ever live out my Apprentice Adept fantasies if I can't have some domes entirely devoted to decadence and amusement?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Disasters need to calm the gently caress down. Dust tornadoes are building seeking monsters that straight go from building to building. Took out my water and oxygen connected to my dome, then swung down pretty drat far to hit my drone control building. Had to drive a drone truck to just barely save my colonists. I get things stabilized and the same thing happens but also gets my drone truck and I'm hosed.

I guess the quick start thing dropped me off in an area with high dust storm chance? I dunno but it was quite frustrating.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

The domes working that way creates the central mid-game challenge of balancing out your domes to cater to the needs of their respective inhabitants, while requiring you to manually create a logistics network for products from specialized domes. If they would work the way you described, it would almost entirely remove the space limitation for in-dome buildings, which is what forces you to make choices.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Right now my main annoyances with the game are the logistics of transporting stuff around via drones and the fact that you can't batch reassign drones from one hub to another. The fact that the drones will try to rebalance between stockpiles helps a lot for preventing resource starvation in any given hub area because as one poster up thread mentioned, you can put stockpiles in the overlap area and daisy chain things together that way. Still, I wish that the drone hubs would just expand the drone active area, like in factorio, instead of only being able to direct their drones around in that area. Maybe there will be a mod for it.

So far so fun though, agree that the pacing is quite slow at the start but getting better.

Don't be like me and gently caress up and put your first done just out of range of the buried metal deposits!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The domes working that way creates the central mid-game challenge of balancing out your domes to cater to the needs of their respective inhabitants, while requiring you to manually create a logistics network for products from specialized domes. If they would work the way you described, it would almost entirely remove the space limitation for in-dome buildings, which is what forces you to make choices.

Which would be fine except that there is basically no good way to manage logistics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

It's weird too because connected domes were shown in early screenshots.

That I believe is actually just a type of dome you can build, it's elongated and holds two spires.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That's exactly what it is, the "Oval Dome"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's real weird that you can't connect them even by building adjacent cos that would make for interesting logicatical challenges and with the variety of dome shapes you could make some interesting complexes. Even if it meant degrading service quality for having to cross domes.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Now, I haven't had the chance to play it myself yet, and I'm still at work, but I have been watching a bunch of streams and gameplay.

I see a lot of complaints about logistics ITT. Have none of you used shuttle hubs?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Want to echo some of the thread opinions: there's a lot to like in this - especially the early robo-game - but not having a universal logistics network a la Factorio was a weird choice.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That's what the shuttles are for though? I think the early game is supposed to be a series of independent domes with basic infrastructure, loosely connected with the transport rover. I really dig the slow early game, I've made an effort to not go above 2x speed and a lot of the time I'll just go down to normal speed and watch my little colony :3:

Once I get a good base of people I can start going for the martian born techs and from there I think the game will really streamline.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I also noticed that Kalypso is still publishing a Tropico 6 this year and I wonder what caused the break for the devs to move over to paradox.

A big beef of mine with Tropico has been their DLC policy and I'm really hoping this game adopts the Skylines model of intermittent expansions and massive mod support.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I did not survive.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hahaha, got the Oval Dome on my current map (it's a breakthrough) and since my colony is being rated by how many dudes I can support...yeah, sure I'll totally queue that up right quick! Doesn't hurt that my sponsor is India so I'm starting with Medium Domes and a 20% discount on construction costs.

Also, I was hurting for cash until I got an anomaly that gave me a whopping $300M and 3K research points.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Demiurge4 posted:

That's what the shuttles are for though? I think the early game is supposed to be a series of independent domes with basic infrastructure, loosely connected with the transport rover. I really dig the slow early game, I've made an effort to not go above 2x speed and a lot of the time I'll just go down to normal speed and watch my little colony :3:

Once I get a good base of people I can start going for the martian born techs and from there I think the game will really streamline.

shuttles are a dice roll if you get them tho, it's tech and not standard

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Gamerofthegame posted:

shuttles are a dice roll if you get them tho, it's tech and not standard

Doesn't one of the leader backgrounds start with it revealed?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So I have been playing this for a bit and here is my biggest takeaway. Solar power is for suckers. Build windmills, or if your rich import sterlings.

Another tip keep poo poo away from your mines the dust they kick up seems to greatly increase maintenance.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
The AI rover that controls drones is huge for expanding and keeping on top of resources. Was struggling until I ponied up to ship one to my colony.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

metasynthetic posted:

This game feels like 50% a more complex Banished, 20% a simpler Anno, 30% population management of Tropico.

imo 20/20/60 but yeah

how many of yall complaining about difficulty started on anything other than the very easy start? imo this game is a bit complicated and has some long term growth decisions that make it easy to death spiral, or build yourself into a corner where you have to wait forever for resources to tick. there's a lot of stuff that isn't stated where you could end up screwing yourself by not building it, such as drone coverage or stockpiling for maintenance

game is good but not great so far. worth a buy right now but hold off if you're on the fence or aren't sure if you want tropico on mars

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Just figured out drones will do automated logistics if you overlap drone hub coverage by a bit, and put a universal storage depot in the overlap.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Only played for about an hour and plopped down my first dome, game is pretty cool. Wish there was more of a tutorial and that I would have noticed you have to build a dome near the metal deposit, might restart.

One thing that seems like it might get annoying is maintenance on some buildings seems to generate really fast.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Popete posted:

Only played for about an hour and plopped down my first dome, game is pretty cool. Wish there was more of a tutorial and that I would have noticed you have to build a dome near the metal deposit, might restart.

One thing that seems like it might get annoying is maintenance on some buildings seems to generate really fast.

Make sure they're not near any extractors and you're not landing and taking off rockets near them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Has anyone played far enough to see if there’s a way to make completely sustaining colonies? It seems like eventually you’re going to run out of resources that you can even export to buy more.

I get that that period is probably extreme late game, but I always take issue with builder games that don’t let me go full sustaining.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
apparently there's maaaagic producers later on, probably through breakthroughs

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There are deep veins that are low grade (produces slowly) but are infinite. There's also a wonder or two that produces resources.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Not 100% sure how the tech tree works, but there are techs for finding and mining deep versions of all the basic resources and for building everything you can buy from earth. Assuming you are guaranteed to get these techs at some point in each playthrough, then it should be possible to have a fully self-sustaining colony for as long as most people are likely to play the game.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 16, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
How far do my concrete extractors spew dust? It just says "nearby" without giving me any indication of how many tiles away I need to place my power generation.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Has anyone played far enough to see if there’s a way to make completely sustaining colonies? It seems like eventually you’re going to run out of resources that you can even export to buy more.

I get that that period is probably extreme late game, but I always take issue with builder games that don’t let me go full sustaining.

By three domes I had a theoretical self sustaining colony. Had a lot of good resources underground near the area, luckily. Production for machine parts and electronics wasn't keeping up though and I started to drown in a tide of babies they kept producing.

I would murder for a mod that had a button to automatically force ALL colonizers into their specialization jobs within their same dome. That or drastically reduce the moral hit for working in jobs they hate but refuse to stop working in them.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Where in the heck does this game keep saves?

e: Oh hey messing with modding found it! user/appdata/roaming/Surviving Mars on windows

Jorge Bell fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 16, 2018

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

boner confessor posted:

tropico on mars
As someone with 800+ hours on my steam shame counter for Tropico games, this sounds like an excellent buy for me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I am loving this game so far. But I also love Tropico, and I love space stuff, so that fits. Almost had my first colony die when a dust devil came through my entire base, knocking out almost all of my power production and all but 1 drone hub, and that one was pretty far out of my base to keep my water running. Rapidly degraded to where my one dome had no power, water, or oxygen.

I only recovered by powering down everything but that drone hub so that my 2 wind turbines provided enough power, had it create a new drone hub next to my wrecked base, which finally got things working before anyone actually died.

Close calls like that are why I like games like this.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i have a real problem not building my power grid to avoid rimworld style zzts, which afaik don't exist in this game (pipes and cables can break which leak resources so valving is still a good idea)

is the exploration rover useful for anything other than popping anomalies? does it increase the sector search speed? doesn't seem to in my testing

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

boner confessor posted:

is the exploration rover useful for anything other than popping anomalies? does it increase the sector search speed? doesn't seem to in my testing

The only thing I've found is a tech that makes it passively generate research.

Meteors seem to generate anomalies when they land sometimes, so it's at least got some long-term use.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cool, I’m glad there are deep veins and other methods for sustaining.

Allegedly there are techs to reduce the penalties for people working outside of their specialty and by “midgame” according to a post on the subreddit, and a few folks seemed to fall into “trying to min-max that is an exercise in frustration for marginal benefit” which I’m going to choose to believe so I can stop fiddling with every single job site.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Martian born is a fantastic trait with the techs. No penalties for working outside, no penalties for disaster. Lots of production boosts etc.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have literally hundreds of food lying around and dozens idle drones but my colonists are starving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I have literally hundreds of food lying around and dozens idle drones but my colonists are starving

Do they have a place to eat it that’s staffed?

I made this mistake my first time by not having a diner in their dome.