Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Even though it hurts more every time I do it, I love widening my mohole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
no ring

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I am looking but can't find a mod that will unfuck the "exchange technologies" option in diplomacy. Them literally always offering the cheapest research I haven't researched (meaning one I intentionally skipped) for my most advanced one is obviously an okay starting position for a negotiation, but there are literally no negotiation options or ways to interact with other colony's techs aside from stealing them. I'm trying to go Fully Automated Space Communism every time by providing for as many needs for me and my fellow human colonies as possible but the diplomacy is so incredibly rudimentary that I'm not even sure why the Exchange Techs option is even there.

EDIT: Also let me bank and spend research points or at least choose my first tech off the bat because automatically dumping that initial boon getting halfway through Hygroscopic Vaporators every map when the first square has water revealed is so common that the irony isn't amusing anymore

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 2, 2019

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
One thing this game is missing is a water -> oxygen generator. The MOXIE is good but it does not work during a dust storm. There is already a water -> rocket fuel and this would pretty drat much be the same thing and it's very old tech.

edit :

it could even be part of the green mars thing, makes the o2 and burns the hydrogen off to make power + greenhouse gasses

ded fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 13, 2019

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

ded posted:

One thing this game is missing is a water -> oxygen generator. The MOXIE is good but it does not work during a dust storm. There is already a water -> rocket fuel and this would pretty drat much be the same thing and it's very old tech.

edit :

it could even be part of the green mars thing, makes the o2 and burns the hydrogen off to make power + greenhouse gasses

I mean, hydroponic farms exist. Running algae in a hydro farm consumes water and reduces oxygen need by 1, while providing a small amount of food as a byproduct. On a dust-heavy map, running a hydro farm in each dome can help a lot.

A larger algae farm would be cool, but oxygen is honestly one of the easier resources to manage. Moxies are cheap and require very little energy, and oxygen tanks are similarly easy to make. Once you get access to large oxygen tanks, you don't really have to worry about air anymore.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
If you have access to decent concrete or metal deposits, you never need to build a polymer plant. Machine Parts and Electronics are hard to come by via trade, but most rival colonies will throw polymers at you all day for building materials.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I pulled the trigger on this game, and I'm waiting for some refund cash to make it into my wallet to buy the terraforming expansion, which I'm told makes the game go from a 7/10 to a 9/10. Should I wait for the expansion (aka go to sleep cuz it's midnight and me and my partner are officially Olds), or futz with vanilla first?

This was kinda asked a few pages back, so I'll reframe the question: what percentage of stuff from the terraforming expansion is front-loaded? I never played the main game, but I'll wait for refund money to buy the terraforming expansion if that's better.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 1, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You won’t do much Terraforming until you’re up and running; you need to focus on getting self-sufficient before you can divert the resources. Wouldn’t hurt to jump in and play around before you get the Dlc just to get a feel for the game

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah the first few dozen sols play out about the same with or without terraforming. Gotta learn the hard way that Mars is a cold, cold planet anyways, might as well take the dive.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Good thing the game did not give me a eulogy for my first Mars born that died, like they did with the last founding member. "Here lies Orion Peterson, first born away from earth, first son of martian soil. He never went to school and was a bartender for his entire life."

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
This game is weird and I'm not sure what I need to do after I get my first dome up and kind of sort of running.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can look at your Sponsor Goals and Milestones for general things to aim for. Some kind of event should start happening (depending on your setup options). Trying to become self-sufficient is a good plan, either build another dome nearby or scout out another good position for one. Even a partially running research lab might drastically increase your research rate.

EDIT : After you ship in people the first time, you have a period until you can ship in more, this is cut short if you have a birth.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Expand and grow, become self sufficient

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I tend to outsource research a lot early on, is this dumb?

Unrelated the game has stopped recognising workshop mods for me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Splicer posted:

Unrelated the game has stopped recognising workshop mods for me.

No, that's what I do to get some early tech without spending valuable founder slots on scientists.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

No, that's what I do to get some early tech without spending valuable founder slots on scientists.

The scientists I don't mind, I can always have them working the grocery stall. It's the expensive research buildings: those electronics add up quickly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alkydere posted:

The scientists I don't mind, I can always have them working the grocery stall. It's the expensive research buildings: those electronics add up quickly.

If the scientists are working the grocery stall, they aren't researching and therfore may as well not be scientists.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I do a lot of outsourcing too. Gotta spend on something. And super early it'll pay itself back from like the social tech that gives money and such. A lab is probably a dome 2 or 3 thing but can kick out a lot (especially if you find a dome site with a few overlapping perks). SM is mostly a chill game though, so play at whatever rate.

And yeah, scientists working a grocery still want Gaming or Luxury or whatever so are worse than untrained yokels because lower comfort.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're going to outsource research then early on is generally when you will do it, because outsourcing can easily double your gain, or even give you gain when there was none before, and help unlock the early techs a lot faster.

Whereas later on outsourcing pales in comparison to what you can produce and stuff is more expensive.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

only if you're doing so much outsourcing that you lack the cash to buy necessary stuff from earth

cash is kind of useless, if you're self sufficient and your bank account keeps stacking up then might as well outsource research

and as said above, outsourcing critical early tech like sponsor research boosts, bigger rockets, the 50->30 fuel to fill a rocket techs, you want those as soon as possible

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I usually spend all my cash on electronics, some prefabs, a set of rovers, and then a bit of outsourcing. With the goal being rapid self sufficiency and electronics being the time limit until I find a rare metal deposit to exploit.

Strip the surface of metal with the transport rover, convert what's needed to machine parts with a prefab factory, never buy polymers or machine parts or metal. The only thing you're actually dependent on in that setup is finding a rare earth node to make electronics, but everything else is largely location agnostic, because you can collect enough surface deposits to keep you in metal for a long time, easily enough to find a node.

So of the things to spend money on, research is a decent one, much better than many of the options. You only need one set of prefab buildings and rovers, so the rest of the funding goes between research and electronics.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 2, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you're playing as blue sun, you get tricked into research outsourcing, when in reality you should be purchasing high quality applicants by the rocketfull

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

luxury handset posted:

if you're playing as blue sun, you get tricked into research outsourcing, when in reality you should be purchasing high quality applicants by the rocketfull

If you're playing as Blue Sun you're kinda not worrying about money anyways since they're the corporate hellhole/mining exploitation sponsor. Well they were supposed to be the Mining Exploitation sponsor then Brazil showed up.

They're still one of my favorites because of their concrete excavator drone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Are any of the non-Green Planet DLCs any good? Not counting the skin ones, obviously.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 3, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Are any of the non-Green Planet DLCs any good? Not counting the skin ones, obviously.

Space Race fleshes out the sponsors. Before they were just a handful of bonuses. With it you get a unique unit and building for each sponsor (larger or smaller but faster rockets, unique rovers, out of dome research labs, etc.) and Sponsor goals that give you something to aim for and a bit of a boost with their rewards. Oh and a few new sponsors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Admittedly kinda a dumb question (sorry for the bulk of them), but what's an average-to-low difficulty in terms of percentages? Even after picking easy settings, I find that everywhere on the globe is hitting 230ish percent in terms of the numbers, and I'd prefer to have something simple early on.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Admittedly kinda a dumb question (sorry for the bulk of them), but what's an average-to-low difficulty in terms of percentages? Even after picking easy settings, I find that everywhere on the globe is hitting 230ish percent in terms of the numbers, and I'd prefer to have something simple early on.

honestly anything under 200% is pretty easy, unless you pick a specifically frustrating challenge like turbo disasters or no immigrants or something

the percentage difficulty meter is scaled for people who can, like, barely comprehend video games in general, or are extraordinarily stoned

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

honestly anything under 200% is pretty easy, unless you pick a specifically frustrating challenge like turbo disasters or no immigrants or something

the percentage difficulty meter is scaled for people who can, like, barely comprehend video games in general, or are extraordinarily stoned

I fear I might be stoned or something, because it seems I'm fundamentally lost :(

I sent out a shuttle to get some colonists, which blew out my drone support. Now I've got a ton of facilities that are broken down, drones that refuse refuse to repair anything (even if I've got the drone ship sitting right next to them, and no commands seem to work to bind them to it) and I can't seem to find an option that just lets me command them to go on a maintenance spree.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 3, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Did you build a drone hub? Drones need to be controlled by something or they'll just sit and be useless. If you didn't build a hub and their batteries are all dead then you'll have to revert to a previous save. The drone hub should be one of the first things you place.

Isn't there a tutorial? I recommend starting with that to get the basics explained to you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh, that's what did it: I was thinking that I needed metal to keep things repaired; evidently I needed machine parts this entire time. No wonder why they weren't doing poo poo.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Oh, that'll do it. Every building needs something specific for maintenance, solar panels take metal for instance but wind turbines need machine parts. Others need polymers or electronics. Always make sure you have a little of everything available.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

I fear I might be stoned or something, because it seems I'm fundamentally lost :(

I sent out a shuttle to get some colonists, which blew out my drone support. Now I've got a ton of facilities that are broken down, drones that refuse refuse to repair anything (even if I've got the drone ship sitting right next to them, and no commands seem to work to bind them to it) and I can't seem to find an option that just lets me command them to go on a maintenance spree.

there's a few bits to the game that you'll need to master first, but the learning curve on this game plateaus fairly quickly once you untangle the early game

each building will have a little timer at the bottom of its menu which shows you how long till the next maintenance cycle, as well as the icon of the single resource needed to repair it

machine parts are probably the most critical early game resource, but they're not too bad to make. a small parts factory staffed up will keep you mostly afloat in the early game. you'll gently caress yourself if you build too many windmills before your parts manufacturing takes root

also keep in mind that drone controllers have limits. a drone hub controls 20 drones max, a drone rover does 8 drones iirc. you can boost these limits with later tech. having a drone rover is a good backup because it doesn't need maintenance (but it will get broken by rare bad weather). so if your drone hub dies all the drones tied to it will go braindead, you can move them around by clicking them individually and sending them to a different controller, but chances are you'll need to bring your drone rover over if you have one (or, in an emergency, land a rocket) to fix the drone hub

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 3, 2020

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Drone hubs and rovers, the radius is only for automatic actions, you can select one and check it's charge level, a fully charged drone can cross a good chunk of the map and repair rovers and scanning towers on the periphery of your map.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Or even build say, Sensor Towers out of drone control range, though that amount of micro is a little overkill it can be handy for spreading out your scanning boosts a little more early on, especially if you get the 0 maintence/power for sensor towers tech (which is always kinda early)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Even with the bars at a low level, I'd like to disable disasters entirely (never enjoyed them, in any city-building game, ever). Workshop isn't helping, but I figure the modders are being too clever by half and have their mods titled something fancy. Anyone know where I can find one?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Even with the bars at a low level, I'd like to disable disasters entirely (never enjoyed them, in any city-building game, ever). Workshop isn't helping, but I figure the modders are being too clever by half and have their mods titled something fancy. Anyone know where I can find one?

Check the rules when setting up a new game. There's a "disable disasters" setting.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Meteors are kind of nice to have sometimes, but if you have Space Race you can send rockets to herd them anyway.

And yeah, the special rules bit of set up includes a bunch of stuff to make bits of the game easier if you prefer (though the more noticeable ones will block cheevos)

I also found youtube videos useful in having some idea of what the early steps look like. But it was watching some that made me buy the game so obviously, bias and YMMV

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Disasters are super rare and tame if you choose a landing site with the minimum level of each. Having them on also makes Terraforming more satisfying since it eventually gets rid of them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alkydere posted:

If you're playing as Blue Sun you're kinda not worrying about money anyways since they're the corporate hellhole/mining exploitation sponsor. Well they were supposed to be the Mining Exploitation sponsor then Brazil showed up.

They're still one of my favorites because of their concrete excavator drone.
If I had a wish for an expansion it would be the ability to go rogue on a colony scale and ditch you sponsor for a government type or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, mars declares independence would be an incredible next expansion but i kind of feel like they're done with significant expansions. haemimont signed a deal with frontier (the elite: dangerous and jurassic world studio) to publish a new game, and haemimont isn't big enough of a studio to develop two AA sized games at once