Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I don't know about the default, but there's a button in the top right that you can cycle through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah I know about that but I always forget about them when actually playing. If I could start the game by setting new defaults I might actually see them.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Splicer posted:

Is there a way to change your default skins?

Not in the base game afaik, I had to download a mod to change the default apartment skin. It would probably be pretty trivial to duplicate that mod and adapt it for other buildings, though.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Trains are everything I hoped they would be.

I have a medium dome working 9 mines. :stare:

DLC worth it imo.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Trains are everything I hoped they would be.

I have a medium dome working 9 mines. :stare:

DLC worth it imo.

Ooooh, question: are there train signals, so I can play this as OpenTTD Mars? Or is strictly one train per track?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo that's so good. Lack of trains has been my biggest gripe since day 1, I'm buying this tonight.

Question: Do the trains connect through elevators into the underground?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Ooooh, question: are there train signals, so I can play this as OpenTTD Mars? Or is strictly one train per track?

Trains are back and forth from one station to another station only, no through traffic. You can have multiple trains running on the same line, though.

Demiurge4 posted:

Question: Do the trains connect through elevators into the underground?

I don't have below and beyond but there's no way to connect tracks across any kind of height difference, or across maps. You'd just have to deliver to the elevator with one train and pick up underground with another.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh poo poo, I thought they'd just be transit between dome clusters. I didn't know you could use them to just...manspread across the surface of Mars like that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Cracking up at the $20 Official Dev Team massively ambitious DLC delivering nothing anyone wanted from the concept and essentially being "base game but fiddlier", and now the $7 Community "It's Trains" DLC fundamentally changes the flow of the game up to and including starting dome placement.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 29, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
can colonists use trains to migrate between domes, like how shuttles pick up and move them? or are trains only used to carry workers to an external job location and back?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Moving colonists is absolutely one of the jobs of the monorails. And they can carry supplies.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The resource movement seems not great (maybe it's buggy?). I was early on in the game, with a single dome, and a longer rail line to a rare metals deposit. I had an RC transport automated to pick up meteor resources, and it would often dump the metal into the monorail station at the rare metals deposit. And no matter how I tweaked the settings, I couldn't get any of that metal sent back to my dome. Rare metals were shipped just fine (outpost only sends, dome does not send) and I set metals to the same settings, but they wouldn't move. The two stations were in disconnected drone networks, and so I was depending on it to also move the materials necessary to maintain the outpost, but it would often not send machine parts and then the rail station itself would break down. Once I expanded a bit and got the drone networks connected they were fantastic at moving people.

I was also shocked at how expensive the rails were, so they're probably not a "founders stage" thing like I thought they might be - that initial monorail line I built cost over 100 concrete, plus all the metal, electronics, and machine parts to build the stations and trains. Looks like it might be much more beneficial in the late game like Fuzzysocksucker demonstrated, or maybe as a way to spread to a second dome area before you've got shuttles, but oof you've better have a lot of concrete.

As an aside, I just this morning realized that when you place passages between domes, you can click to route a path (just like with tracks) rather than having to carefully build domes so the passage automatically goes where you want it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How are Revelations and Lifestyle? Worth getting now or wait for a sale?

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I was also shocked at how expensive the rails were, so they're probably not a "founders stage" thing like I thought they might be - that initial monorail line I built cost over 100 concrete, plus all the metal, electronics, and machine parts to build the stations and trains. Looks like it might be much more beneficial in the late game like Fuzzysocksucker demonstrated, or maybe as a way to spread to a second dome area before you've got shuttles, but oof you've better have a lot of concrete.

I built a short line fairly early to exploit a close by rare metal deposit, but we're talking 'inside drone hub, outside of dome range' close. Definitely not a founder stage thing, but doable early enough to get electronics production started if your rare metals are in a inconvenient spot. But they're really super game changing good in the mid game/late game to actually use all the deposits on the map. That medium mining dome+trains was way cheaper on materials (except maybe concrete) and manpower than the six small domes it would have taken to cover all the deposits. Previously I would have bee lined the mohole rather than even try. I'm now thinking of trying one mega dome to mine the entire south side of my map.

FISHMANPET posted:

As an aside, I just this morning realized that when you place passages between domes, you can click to route a path (just like with tracks) rather than having to carefully build domes so the passage automatically goes where you want it.

Wait WHAT? :stare: I've played this for years and how did I not know this. :cripes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Splicer posted:

How are Revelations and Lifestyle? Worth getting now or wait for a sale?

So far, I'm really liking Revelations. The DJ is obviously a whole fundie sort, but his spots are so short it's really not an issue. Lifestyle's DJ is more talkative. Both have grade A music, with Revelations feeling more...space theme-y.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Wait WHAT? :stare: I've played this for years and how did I not know this. :cripes:

Somehow inspired by the fact that you click to route tracks as you place them (saw that in a preview video) it somehow occurred to me to try it with the passage. I'm amazed that over years of playing I've never even accidentally clicked while placing a passage. Even reading the help text it's not super obvious that you could do that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alkydere posted:

So far, I'm really liking Revelations. The DJ is obviously a whole fundie sort, but his spots are so short it's really not an issue. Lifestyle's DJ is more talkative. Both have grade A music, with Revelations feeling more...space theme-y.
Oh I've never done a church of the new ark run, I'll definitely pair that up with revelations for a go.

Found the pack for 25% off on WInGamesStore so I picked it up with Lifestyle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FISHMANPET posted:

also shocked at how expensive the rails were, so they're probably not a "founders stage" thing like I thought they might be - that initial monorail line I built cost over 100 concrete, plus all the metal, electronics, and machine parts to build the stations and trains. Looks like it might be much more beneficial in the late game like Fuzzysocksucker demonstrated, or maybe as a way to spread to a second dome area before you've got shuttles, but oof you've better have a lot of concrete.

Between this game and Satisfactory, I wonder if developers understand that trains came before fully autonomous vehicles, and that they're specifically easier and cheaper to build, develop, and maintain? I mean, I get that drone stations are the default method of moving things around and connecting areas, but it's so absurdly silly to me how some developers keep making trains a luxury item instead of a cheap basic workhorse.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's exactly because trains are cheap, move a ton of freight and basically permanent fixtures once placed. If you don't gate them in your game there's no utility to anything else. I was actually half expecting them to remove the flying drones when they added the trains, but I guess the elevation change still leave them some utility.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Thought I was gonna have to demolish one of those turbines, but guess not!

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Splicer posted:

Oh I've never done a church of the new ark run, I'll definitely pair that up with revelations for a go.

I’ve been trying to work out the beginnings of a New Ark run. They have one particular mission objective that has been fouling me up: Get 10 Founders to 90 comfort. The closest I’ve gotten so far is 8/10. I also noticed that I had a few Founders have their comfort stall out (e.g. one stayed at 72 and his log stopped adding calculations). Part of my issue could be that I’m playing with Chaos Theory on so maybe I’m just not getting Comfort upgrades that I normally would in time. I would let go not meeting this objective but it’s the only way to get them sponsor research per sol.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hmm, perhaps the commander profile that gives the hanging gardens might be of help since it boosts the comfort of all residences in the dome. Focus on picking up hippie founders so they get a boost from visiting the super-garden too? Of course that means you can't use the New Ark's unique spire in your starting dome.

It's honestly one goal I've never hit myself.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think you can do it with 2 basic domes. Temple spire in one, diner spire in the other. The diner spire gives luxury so it's actually pretty cheap for that but you probably want a vista anyway.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

With the tourist update there's also the Ampitheater now. A worker-free building that gives Relaxation, Social and Luxury you can build right from the start.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

I’ve been trying to work out the beginnings of a New Ark run. They have one particular mission objective that has been fouling me up: Get 10 Founders to 90 comfort. The closest I’ve gotten so far is 8/10. I also noticed that I had a few Founders have their comfort stall out (e.g. one stayed at 72 and his log stopped adding calculations). Part of my issue could be that I’m playing with Chaos Theory on so maybe I’m just not getting Comfort upgrades that I normally would in time. I would let go not meeting this objective but it’s the only way to get them sponsor research per sol.
You can have more than 12 founders if you stall on the founder stage until you get the +colonists rocket tech, maybe having some spares might help?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 30, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

It's exactly because trains are cheap, move a ton of freight and basically permanent fixtures once placed. If you don't gate them in your game there's no utility to anything else. I was actually half expecting them to remove the flying drones when they added the trains, but I guess the elevation change still leave them some utility.
Basically trains are the transport equivalent of this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FISHMANPET posted:

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Do you know about the middle mouse click?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Me: Bouncing off of map after map (partly because I kept getting greedy and failing to get a medium dome by day 5 as India, I've done it before) wanting to play with trains.

Only now realize there's a new Commander Profile: Transport Tycoon 2x free small station, large stations unlocked, half price track construction.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Splicer posted:

You can have more than 12 founders if you stall on the founder stage until you get the +colonists rocket tech, maybe having some spares might help?

Yea this might be a good idea in case I get a bugged one again. Stalling out but getting the bigger rocket might mean you can get the 20 Martian-born by Sol 50 easily enough still. The reward isn’t as significant for that one but I’ve been hitting it pretty easy.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Hmm, perhaps the commander profile that gives the hanging gardens might be of help since it boosts the comfort of all residences in the dome. Focus on picking up hippie founders so they get a boost from visiting the super-garden too? Of course that means you can't use the New Ark's unique spire in your starting dome.

It's honestly one goal I've never hit myself.

I may need to play around with the commander profile. I went rocket scientist last time hoping to use the second rocket to send in people to serve is service jobs quickly to boost comfort of the founders. The reason I would hesitate on hanging garden is because New Ark comes with the Temple spire. I did try last time to go with as many hippies as I could like you suggested and farms over ranches to get their comfort up. Also, I tried party animal to buff up. End of the day, may have to just find a map with vista instead of goofing off on Olympic Mons. Or maybe if I could strategically hit the 1 billion currency objective quickly, buy a lot of polymers to get a temple in one temple and hanging garden in the second dome. I’ll have to see after I pick up the trains.

If someone goes for the achievement, I would also recommend avoiding founders that demand gaming if you can. I went in for last ditch on electronics stores to try to get over the hump both attempts and it wiped out my resources. I mean the colonies could still keep going but I didn’t have the resources to go after anything else quickly.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I've had five colonists over about 45 sols decide they had worked out a sick shortcut around waiting in line for the train which nobody else had figured out and then die gasping in the crimson soil.

I'm a really huge fan of space trains! Kind of aggravated that they can't go down ramps for whatever reason though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s because it’s a space railway, not a space funicular!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s because it’s a space railway, not a space funicular!

three more people have just walked out into the desert on their way to a better life in the other dome complex

i am starting to think there might be something wrong with the volunteers

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
That's just the call of The Big Empty. Becomes irresistible to some after years of working in the Martian mines.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve got sub-half-hour waiting times consistently and it appears the train route itself takes two hours.

There’s rockets making regular cargo runs, they can just get Earthsick and leave they don’t have to gently caress over my recruitment pool!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've had a few decide they could walk it themselves. It was after I'd opened my domes, so if they'd just grabbed a few extra bottles of water they might of made it.

Relatedly, I had two colonists die from being struck by lightning in an electrostatic dust storm, that was a new one for me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly the train expansion is just really good, the game finally clicks for me properly. I run a bunch of mods for QoL stuff, the content expansion mod (used to be Silva's mods) is really great and along with the earlier underground mod plus the usual QoL (zoom distance, breakthrough previews on map selection) I can really tailor my experience any way I want and just build a cool colony.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ve got sub-half-hour waiting times consistently and it appears the train route itself takes two hours.

There’s rockets making regular cargo runs, they can just get Earthsick and leave they don’t have to gently caress over my recruitment pool!

There's a new rule when making the games to reduce how far your dudes will walk since, you know, you have trains.

Probably one of the better options to select if we're having colonists just walk into the sunset.

FISHMANPET posted:

I've had a few decide they could walk it themselves. It was after I'd opened my domes, so if they'd just grabbed a few extra bottles of water they might of made it.

Relatedly, I had two colonists die from being struck by lightning in an electrostatic dust storm, that was a new one for me.

Yeah the lightning strikes are super rare due to the fact that if the workers are in a building they're fine. They have to be on foot to be hit. I've had it happen to me maybe...twice? Though the trains probably mean it might happen more often now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

Yeah the lightning strikes are super rare due to the fact that if the workers are in a building they're fine. They have to be on foot to be hit. I've had it happen to me maybe...twice? Though the trains probably mean it might happen more often now.

I just decided how I'd like to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Probably one of the better options to select if we're having colonists just walk into the sunset.

Yeah the lightning strikes are super rare due to the fact that if the workers are in a building they're fine. They have to be on foot to be hit.

Walking into the sunset is just the new Judge Dredd option when you send a colonist out of the dome to bring lawfulness to the untamed (and probably uninhabitable) barrens. :black101:

I’ve only had one death from the lightning strike and oddly it was inside a dome but right at the entrance to a passageway. I wondered if there is a little glitch space there.