Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Jessie Hann
The Ghoul

Do you believe in Hell? Most people don't, that's fine. I mean, Fire and Brimstone, God and Satan, Sins and Punishment... it all sounds like an elaborate fantasy when you think about it. It's a story you tell little kids to make them act right. "Don't do bad things, or you'll go to Hell. Follow the rules so you can go to Heaven." But what do you really think happens when you die? You just die and decay and decompose, right? Fade into nothingness. But what if it wasn't that? What if you died, and you found yourself... right where you were? Still on Earth, somehow.

It'd be weird, right? You'd almost everything was normal, and that you didn't die. But then you notice everything that's wrong. You can't feel happiness anymore. You can't feel any emotion anymore. You feel nothing. The only thing you can feel, deep-down, is this hunger. This big, terrifying need to do terrible things. To inflict suffering on others. And then you think... "Oh. Is this what Hell is?"

What if Hell isn't some otherworldly place? What if Hell was all around us? What if Hell is just a place where happiness doesn't exist? What if it's just a place where everyone wallows in misery? Where everyone is cruel all the time? What if, instead of looking like a fiery underground pit, Hell looked completely normal?

What if Hell existed on Earth, and it was Elm Hall all along?

1. Why were you sent to Elm Hall in the first place?

Well, I used to be different. I used to be someone that could smile. Someone that could laugh, cry, and puke. I used to be someone that you could call a good kid. I went to the best school, I had the best grades, I had it all worked out. But I couldn't handle it. It was all an act. A facade. Deep down... I hated it all. I wanted it to end. There was a point I had eight tests in one week. I couldn't do it. And I knew if I didn't do it, I'd lose everything. I'd lose my 4.0. I'd lose my chance at all my scholarships. I wouldn't be able to get into college. I'd ruin everything my parents set up for me.

So I tried to get out of it. I jumped off the school roof. I thought it would work. It didn't.

Well. It sort of worked. Hitting the ground did all the things you might expect to happen to the human body. There was a thud, a crunch, a pain like nothing I had ever felt. And then a slow, slow darkness. And then I woke up again, right where I was before. Almost like nothing had happened. There was no pain anymore... but there wasn't anything else, either. I had changed. I had lost something, it took me a while to notice what.

My school did not take kindly to people jumping off of their roof. Even if, in my case, you happened to be perfectly fine afterwards. They kicked me out, but not to here. Not yet. They sent me out into the wilds of the regular school system. When my parents found out, they were furious. Yelled at me for hours. But I noticed something. As much as everything was coming crashing down, as much as things were as bad as they could be... I didn't care. It didn't matter to me. The part inside of me that would normally be screaming and crying... just wasn't there. It was like a part of me had been torn out. There was a hole. A void. Or maybe that was the part of me that died when I hit the ground.

Part of me was just missing. And I would never get it back.

I went through the next few weeks on auto-pilot. Just walking forward, day after day. I sat where I was supposed to sit, I went where I was supposed to go. But when I really needed to do anything I just- didn't. I was basically a zombie. I wasn't thinking anything, I wasn't feeling anything. Maybe if things stayed that way, I might still be out there. Stuck in an endless limbo. But they didn't. There was something in me that was changing. Something that was growing more and more painful. A voice that was screaming louder and louder. It was the void. The hole. That space where my lost feelings once were. There was a hunger in there. A hunger that was eating me up from the inside. Rotting me like the earth should have been. But i didn't know what to do. I had no idea how to handle. So I didn't. I just kept going on auto-pilot. Not thinking.

Then one day I just snapped. There was this one girl. Quiet. Misfit. You might say that she was like me. If you didn't know better. She was fragile, like I used to be. Nervous, on-edge, worrying. She had this aura that to this day I remember how it felt. How it smelled. How it tasted.

I needed it. I needed it like nothing I had ever known. Like nothing I could comprehend.

My body just snapped into action. I can barely even remember exactly what happened. It just happened. I lunged at her, and I bit her. I could taste her blood, and I could taste her fear. It made me feel... alive, somehow. For a moment it felt like I had never even died.

It didn't take long for me to get caught. That girl's screams were pretty loud. Needless to say, that school didn't tolerate that kind of behavior. And they sent me here... where I probably belong.

2. You've already made an enemy of one of the students/staff members here. Who was it and what did you do to piss them off?

Jay Cameron, the wannabe marine. He tried to scare me with his truck, and I scared him right back. I think word's gotten around about that, though, so I don't know who else has their eyes on me.

3. Tell me about an interesting place in the local area/school grounds.

Have you been to the Fairwinds Mall? It's about a dead mall as you can get without it actually dying. Everything's falling apart, nothing's been maintained, the decor hasn't changed in decades... but still there are somehow five or so stores still clinging to life there. It's a place that should not exist.

4. Tell me about a rumor going around the school.

I've heard that this school used to have a basement. In the west stairway there's a spot where a door clearly should be, but there isn't. If you tap on the bricks there, apparently it sounds hollow. People say that there used to be a Cold War fallout shelter down there, but then they blocked it off. For some reason.

5. Give me a thread title that isn't terrible.

Welcome to Elm Hell

The Ghoul posted:

Name: Jessie Hann
Look: Pale
Eyes: Weak Eyes
Origin: Resurrected?

Stats:
Hot -1 Cold 1 Volatile 2 Dark -1

Ghoul Moves:
The Hunger
You have a Hunger for: Fear

When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a promising feeding opportunity, roll to Keep Your Cool.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. A few hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
¸¸-Heal 1 Harm;
¸¸-Mark experience;
¸¸-Take 1 Forward.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, create a new Hunger.

Darkest Self:
Your dull hunger sharpens. You can’t focus on anything else but feeding. And in addition to your peculiar cravings, you recognize something else. That primordial hunger which connects all hungers. Flesh, blood, meat. You escape your Darkest Self once you’ve overindulged, or you’ve been locked out for long enough to regain composure.

Your Backstory
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them a String.

Did anyone watch you die? If so, you gain 2 Strings on each other.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jessie the Ghoul

Ferrosol posted:

Who tried to scare you and what did you do to them to show them what real fear was?

You're talking about Jay Cameron. Shaved head. Marines tattoo. Short fuse. Often yells about what he thinks is wrong with this country. He likes to threaten people with his truck sometimes. When people are in the road, he turns on his hi-beams and slams on the gas like he's going to run them over. Always has a big laugh about it.

One morning he decided to do this to me. I'm walking in the parking lot when I hear that loud engine and that loud stereo. I turn around and I see those bright lights shining in my face. Then a rev and a screech and he starts driving towards me. I think he expected me to jump out of the way like everyone else. But I didn't.

I mean... it's not like he could do anything to me that hitting the ground couldn't. Or even if he did... would it even be that bad? Maybe it would have been more logical to get out of the way, but it's not like there was anything inside me making me want to do so. It's not like I have any of my own fear left anymore. So I just stared at him, as his truck came closer, and closer. I could see his face pretty clearly. Until the very last second he had this big grin, but then it began to crack. You could see the panic start to creep in. But it didn't make a difference. By the time he reacted it's not like there was any time to stop anyway.

And then he hit me. Crack, thud. A moment later I'm lying on the ground, and aching all over. But I was still functional. I get up, and I look at him, and he's... not quite scared, but somewhere close. Somewhere between angry and shocked. Close enough to be appetizing. I could smell it, I could feel it. That fear I needed to feel human again. It was there. I just needed to dig it out.

Before he could really react, I'm at the side of his car. Driver side door. He stares at me. Asks what the hell is wrong with me. I stare back, wait, let a moment pass. Let the tension drag out a little bit further. Time is your friend in situations like this. I could tell what I looked like. I was a mess. Scratched up, bloody, a little broken.

"What did you expect to happen?" I looked him in the eye and I asked. "...Are you ready for what's going to come next?"

Then I reached through the window. Grabbed him. He flinched, started to panic. He tried to get away by reversing his car as fast as he could. Started dragging me along the asphalt, scraping my legs and feet. I didn't let go. This goes on for a little bit. I put my other hand on the car to make sure I don't fall off. Eventually it stops. Jay throws open the door and forces his way out. He puts some distance between us and he pulls out a knife. Yells at me to get the gently caress away from him. I don't, of course. I give him another glassy-eyed stare and I start to walk towards him yet again.

I can smell it even more now. I've pushed him into a corner. He's completely on edge. That rush I needed was almost there... All I needed was one solid push.

So I lunged forward and grabbed the blade of his knife with my bare hand. In normal circumstances, possibly the worst move one could make. But I didn't care, my hands would always heal with time. Blood immediately started going pretty much everywhere, and Jay... I don't think Jay had any idea what do anymore. Nothing made any more sense. Then I put my other hand around his neck and squeezed. I asked him, "Are you going to do this again? Are you going to do this again...?"

He shook his head. His eyes finally started to plead with me. And that feeling came back to me. The rush, the high, the wholeness. I could feel his fear, and I felt whole.

Ferrosol posted:

How have your parents tried to help you be your "normal self" and why did it not go the way they planned?

They decided to bring me to a fancy office downtown, where they could sit me down with a therapist and act concerned at me. "Honey, we're worried about you. Are you okay? Is something wrong?" As if there was any question. As if they expected it to be that easy. As if they expected things to end like some daytime tv drama, with a cry and a hug.

When I jumped, they had no idea that anything was wrong. Until then, they never even pretended to care about me. They just wanted me to meet their pre-set goals, and as long as I was on track everything was fine. And now they thought they could come in and act like they understood. I could feel that old resentment still burning in my heart, actually. Even when most everything else was gone, that was still there. So I chose to tell them what I thought. Exactly what I thought, holding nothing back. I told them how much I hated them. I told them how worthless I thought they were.

And then I went a step further. I told them the real truth. I told them what it felt like to break every bone in my body. I told them what death felt like. I told them about the void in my heart, and how the smell of fear makes me feel alive again. I told them everything.

And then we left with multiple anti-psychotic and anti-schizophrenic medications. That's how they dealt with that.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jessie's Backgrounds:

quote:

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them a String.

I saw something amazing the other night. A monster, illuminated in the pale moonlight. A beast, radiating menace. An embodiment of pure horror and terror, right out of an old fable. The Werewolf. Gary Reynolds.

The moment I saw him, I felt this... awe in my heart. I felt it beat, I felt it tremble in a way I had completely forgotten about. I've seen the faces of the terrified dozens of times before, but never have I seen anything so terrifying. Anything so powerful. Anything so... beautiful.

I want to see that face again. I want to see that body again. I want to see him. I want to see his strength, and his terror. I want to feel it first-hand... and then I want to break it. I want to break him. What do you think a Werewolf looks like when he cries? What do you think he'll sounds like when he screams? What do you think... what do you think will happen when all that raw emotion inside just comes spilling out?

quote:

Did anyone watch you die? If so, you gain 2 Strings on each other.

David's face is familiar to me. There's something strangely familiar about him, as if I know him from somewhere before. As if there is a thread binding us together. Sometimes I catch him staring at me, so the feeling seems mutual... But I can't give any explanation why.

Other's Backgrounds:

quote:

You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face each other. You leave your blinds up. Each gain 2 Strings on one another.
Ming Fan moved next door to me recently. She's interesting to watch. More interesting to look at than anything in my own room, at least. Nothing in my own house has any meaning to me anymore, so sometimes I look out my window and into hers. To remind myself of what mundane life is like.

It's like diorama, just for me to watch. Sometimes I wondering what's going through her head, when she's doing things like studying or just laying on her bed.

quote:

Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them.
People have said that the smell of death is the worst there is. They are wrong. Death in itself is sterile and pure. It is the processes of life that surround it that smell. And when it comes to the stenches of life, Ivy Rana smells like life in the very worst way. Very muddy, very sweaty, extremely biological. Being around her makes my digestive system remember how to want to vomit. That smell is a constant reminder of the very worst parts of being alive.

"Ivy, being around you makes me want to die." I've told her this, on multiple occasions. If dying again could bring me to another layer of death where I wouldn't have to smell her anymore, I would.

(Ivy gets the Condition "Killer Stench")

code:
Ignore this map it's outdated
                     [Mr Taylor]             
\Door        [Ryan]        [    ]        [    ]        [      ]   
|            [Jay ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Jessie]   
|            [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [      ]   
|            [    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Ivy   ]   

Takanago fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 30, 2018

• Locked thread