Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've never personally dealt with the cast iron ones, only the stamped steel jobbies so I didn't realise they weighed that much. I carried a 6' steel one outside and just flushed it both ways with a hose for about 15 minutes, I'm amazed there was space for water inside with the gunk that came out and that was only about 15 years old at most.

Yeah, they're heavy as gently caress, and that was a little one. Then again, since the house layout is mostly closed, the radiators aren't enormous. In my apartment, the living and dining rooms are open, so the living room has a monster radiator that's 36 ribs long (about seven and a half feet), a little over two feet tall, and about a foot wide. Wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing half a ton.

While the Satan's buttpee inside the system was black and gross, it was not thick, and it didn't have a strong odor because I don't think there was anything organic in it, just rust and minerals, probably. Hoping that there isn't too much buildup.

On the plus side, the cast iron is fantastic at holding temp and radiating steady, even warmth everywhere. I like it so much better than forced air. When house shopping, we saw a few older houses where the radiators had been replaced with forced air, and it was a huge black mark against the house for us. Still have bad memories from the first house I lived in here, freezing my rear end off trying to get ready in the morning while the vent produced windchill and made it worse.

peanut posted:

Amish carpenters is so dreamy :swoon:

Seriously! They are the best. Let my work know that I was running a bit late because we were talking to an Amish contractor, and a couple colleagues were like, yo how do you find an Amish contractor?? because they want work done also. Amish craftsmen are in high demand here because they do excellent work. Not always the cheapest, but usually the best.

Next step is talking to his father-in-law about millwork, because we need a lot of it and that is our splurge thing in the kitchen. I need Eastlake style cabinetry that goes all the way to the ceiling and poo poo. Needs to be worthy of the house and look like it actually belongs (another huge problem with updated old houses we looked at while house shopping - incongruous kitchen design that clashed with the rest of the house, so it's a blessing in disguise that there's not anything going on in the kitchen in this house - it's a total blank slate and I don't have to feel bad about ripping out a serviceable kitchen just because I don't like it.)

Also I was pleased with the Amish guy because when we showed him some of the deteriorated windows in the attic, he suggested that it might be better, if the window is too far gone, to just build an exact replica of it with new wood pieces and stuff. Like it was a no big deal carpentry job. Only issue would be to try to pull an Amish carpenter out of the constant barrage of cabinet and furniture making for long enough to do some windows. Other window guy we talked to knew his poo poo but he didn't have any carpenters at his company and couldn't really help us with the old windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Queen Victorian posted:

I've seen these and would be very interested in trying them out in fixtures with exposed light bulbs. Would be on par with the era of the house too, since that's what light bulbs looked like in 1910 when the house was built. Actually we need a bunch of light fixtures in general, because the ones that came with the house are for the most part ugly and/or broken, with a couple that are just outright missing (only the base where the bulbs screw in remains). I also need to find a really pretty antique for the living room that's worthy of the plaster ceiling medallion. And an epic one for the dining room, too.
We've been window shopping this site: https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/

Mostly for ideas but maybe future purchases.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

just another posted:

We've been window shopping this site: https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/

Mostly for ideas but maybe future purchases.

I love that site. I already have a couple of these on my wishlist: https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Cast-Iron-Transom-Operator-in-Antique-Iron-Finish?sc=12&category=79

Can't tell exactly which finish I need because the remaining sets are all slathered in paint, but from where I've been able to scrape off the paint, it looks like iron, and I'll be commencing hardware stripping soon enough. I know I'll have to wait to spend $250 bucks on the transom windows when we have more pressing matters like getting flooring done before we move in next month.

Also been meaning to order a tiny ball catch for the door on my antique sideboard (known issue - it was missing when we bought it from Craigslist years ago). Would be nice to not have the one door always swing in too far.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Got woken up way too early by weed whackers next door (gently caress gardening crews that start with their loudest tools at the crack of dawn) so I'll post a small update:

Met with an additional contractor yesterday morning. This guy was pretty thorough in his assessment and pointed out some small issues previous contractors did not. However, I don't think the caliber of his finished work was at the level we want. He also seemed kinda set on working with cabinet people already in his circle, which would make it more annoying to try to get my custom Amish millwork. Still want to hire the Amish contractor, even if we have to wait the longest for him to be available. Also it might turn out the Amish might be the most cost effective option - we pay them for labor and supply materials that we buy (without contractor markup) and don't have materials cost muddling up the quote.

Also, the window guy who came and assessed our windows (more details forthcoming in the windows writeup I'm (still) working on) got back to us with some quotes. Interestingly, he has a huge stained glass transom window that he thinks will fit in on of our front windows (our house has been completely stripped of stained glass so I REALLY want some stained glass). He sent a pic and a price, and its gorgeous and price is on par with similar windows for sale online. If it fits we will most likely buy it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I like this thread because we're in a similar situation; we bought an 1897 Dutch Colonial last November.

It has some great character features that immediately made us fall in love with it, particularly downstairs, with glass-front built-ins in the foyer, exposed beamwork in the dining room, and parquet hardwood. At some point the bathrooms and kitchen were horribly redone, but they're functional and we can use them while saving up. Similar issue also with no satisfactory drainage in the basement and water comes through the stone foundation walls, so an interior french drain system is in the cards someday. There's also an attic that is "finished" but needs to be completely overhauled. The floorboards are in awful shape and I don't dare walk on them without shoes of some sort.

I've been slowly working on tearing up carpet in the upstairs rooms. There's hardwood underneath but unfortunately two rooms were painted (one brown, the other yellow on top of black?!) and the other two had adhesive residue from some older carpet. From the one picture it looks like you've done a great sanding job (also, are those top nail floorboards?). I've been doing a fairly mediocre job of it, but I'm still fairly proud of the one room I've finished even if I know that down the road we'll need to redo it again or have professionals come in.

I randomly stumbled across a semi-hidden doorbell like this one that I'd love to see if it's salvageable and could maybe even be reconnected, though it's probably too corroded.

I'm kind of like your fiance and get anxious when I feel like I'm not making progress on at least <i>something</i>. But I know a lot of the major projects are impossible on our own, so I guess I just want to work on the things I know we can do ourselves since we're not in a position to shell out major money for the big stuff.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

z0331 posted:

I like this thread because we're in a similar situation; we bought an 1897 Dutch Colonial last November.

It has some great character features that immediately made us fall in love with it, particularly downstairs, with glass-front built-ins in the foyer, exposed beamwork in the dining room, and parquet hardwood. At some point the bathrooms and kitchen were horribly redone, but they're functional and we can use them while saving up. Similar issue also with no satisfactory drainage in the basement and water comes through the stone foundation walls, so an interior french drain system is in the cards someday. There's also an attic that is "finished" but needs to be completely overhauled. The floorboards are in awful shape and I don't dare walk on them without shoes of some sort.
Congrats on your new old house! Yup, all those issues sound oh so familiar. So many projects.... Still though, if you're into the traditional styles and high-level craftsmanship that you can't get anymore (unless you have buttloads of money), then old houses are the way to go.

We met another neighbor yesterday, an elderly woman who'd been in the neighborhood for ages. She was walking by and saw us on the porch and asked us if we'd bought the house. We talked about some of the work we were doing, and she said that this row of houses had been here forever and that they're great old houses with great bones and that she was happy to see us giving the house the love and care it deserved.

quote:

I've been slowly working on tearing up carpet in the upstairs rooms. There's hardwood underneath but unfortunately two rooms were painted (one brown, the other yellow on top of black?!) and the other two had adhesive residue from some older carpet. From the one picture it looks like you've done a great sanding job (also, are those top nail floorboards?). I've been doing a fairly mediocre job of it, but I'm still fairly proud of the one room I've finished even if I know that down the road we'll need to redo it again or have professionals come in.

Thanks! We did get some more experienced help with the sanding (fiancé's stepdad). Yeah, those are top nail pine floorboards. They are also the subfloor (we took off the quarter round and saw the edge of the flooring, and it was just joists underneath). Victorian houses almost never had hardwood in the attics.

All in all, we probably took of an eighth inch of surface off the floorboards, most of it paint. Huge job (that we still haven't finished) but so very worth it.

quote:

I randomly stumbled across a semi-hidden doorbell like this one that I'd love to see if it's salvageable and could maybe even be reconnected, though it's probably too corroded.

My dude, we have the exact same doorbell in our house. It's mounted on the baseboard in the back corner of the foyer. Been painted over a couple times, but it still works great and sounds good and like a real doorbell (because it IS a literal real doorbell). I think the circuitry is pretty simple - pushing in the doorbell button completes an electrical circuit to the doorbell, which spins the little motor that moves the clapper. Take your finger off the doorbell button, circuit disconnects and the doorbell stops ringing. You could probably take the doorbell and hook it up to a battery pack or something to test it safely - century-old electromechanical devices tend to be pretty simplistic. Probably call an electrician to fix the doorbell circuit itself if that's not working.

quote:

I'm kind of like your fiance and get anxious when I feel like I'm not making progress on at least <i>something</i>. But I know a lot of the major projects are impossible on our own, so I guess I just want to work on the things I know we can do ourselves since we're not in a position to shell out major money for the big stuff.

I think now that we've started, the ball is up and rolling. It was that inertia to get started. And we're taking on projects that don't take meticulous planning and preparation, like sanding the floors and ripping up carpet and figuring out paint colors. Next couple weekends I'll start working on stripping door hardware.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I grew up in an 1880 house but it's in Idaho and had been modified so many times that it lost all charm but still had all the pain of a 100-year-old structure. lovely drywall on lath on plywood on silver asbestos-painted studs (there was a fire in 1961) with a porous river rock foundation.

Not all old buildings are cool and that makes me sad because your house is awesome.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Queen Victorian posted:

I've seen these and would be very interested in trying them out in fixtures with exposed light bulbs. Would be on par with the era of the house too, since that's what light bulbs looked like in 1910 when the house was built. Actually we need a bunch of light fixtures in general, because the ones that came with the house are for the most part ugly and/or broken, with a couple that are just outright missing (only the base where the bulbs screw in remains). I also need to find a really pretty antique for the living room that's worthy of the plaster ceiling medallion. And an epic one for the dining room, too.

I grew up in a house without overhead light fixtures in the bedrooms, so using lamps instead of overhead light is automatic for me. There's a boob light on the living room ceiling in my apartment and I've literally never turned it on in the six years I've lived here. I'm all about the lamps. And yes, it's much better for evenings than glaring overhead lighting, especially you can't dim the overhead lighting. I don't get how the previous owners dealt with all that stark blue light in the bedrooms. Judging from the state of the house and the style/quality of furniture they left behind, I don't think they were all that into lamps or good lighting.

Yeah, I'm all about lamps. Still have ceiling fans everywhere though because it keeps my heating/cooling bills reasonable.

My kitchen has the saddest fixture, a big fluorescent bar in a terribly 90's plastic shell.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lamps are awesome. gently caress booblights, too harsh from a point source. If you're going to have overhead lighting, fluorescent or LED strips are so much better for even spread.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So I've been insanely lately - it's getting to wedding planning crunch time, which has us working on the house and then going home and doing seating charts and stuff and not me loafing on my computer posting house pics for you guys. Or finishing those stories I said I'd post (still working on them, don't worry).

Anyways, some small updates:

- finished the second coat of polyurethane for the attic floor over the weekend. It was hot as balls, and it being the attic meant that it was extra hot. Our sweat is now literally sealed in the floor. Box fan helped somewhat, but we could only do work in the mornings so had to split cleaning/prepping and application over two days. Once it's all cured we can paint and then stash poo poo up there.

- Looking into hardwood options for the three rooms on the second floor that don't have top flooring. There's the pine plank subflooring that we know would look nice if we cleaned it up, but from what we've seen under the carpet, it's pretty beat up, more so than the flooring in the attic. Also reeeally don't want to do that huge sanding/refinishing project again. Easier to just put more flooring on top of it. Gonna be expensive though - 500 sq ft or so of flooring.

- Trying to figure out paint colors and we are overwhelmed. I have NO idea what colors I want the rooms to be, and neither does fiancé. We want to paint the attic and probably the master bedroom before we move in.

- We will probably have to deal with drainage issues and basement water infiltration sooner rather than later because it's super bad. No standing water, but visible dampness everywhere and rain water pouring into the basement via walkout stairs. Looking into replacing the long-missing cellar door. Also probably a dehumidifier for the time being to keep the mustiness down.

- We want to get some ladders, a general purpose one for inside work on our tall-rear end ceilings, and a big one for getting up to the windows and gutters from outside. We measured, and we will need a loving 32' extension ladder to reach the gutters and attic windows.

- Learned about the neighborhood association. Turns out a guy on my block is heading a neighborhood initiative to get street lining trees planted everywhere :3:

Our street historically had trees, but the last of them died/fell over like eight years ago and they were never replanted. Will definitely be getting in on that. In general, this neighborhood association is about stuff like coordinating garage sales, block parties, and planting street trees and no wannabe HOA bullshit.

Anyways, I'll try to post more pics/stories, but ugh so busy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Don't worry, keep it out of the archives and post a pic once a week and we'll be happy.

Also covering the floors you don't want to reno is a good move, it'll always be under there if you change your mind in the future.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
As far as paint colours go, take a look at the Pantone sets and figure out what colours you like and what ones you don't like. Have your fiance do the same.

For your bedroom, blues and purples are nice since they're very soothing and tend to help some with relaxing and getting to sleep. But the important part is "you and fiance will be able to stand looking at the colour for the next couple of years".

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

cakesmith handyman posted:

Don't worry, keep it out of the archives and post a pic once a week and we'll be happy.

Also covering the floors you don't want to reno is a good move, it'll always be under there if you change your mind in the future.

I just need to make a regular window of time in the evening to spend on the computer. I lurk a lot via phone, but long posts with pictures are a bitch so I don't bother until I get to my computer, which is rarely.

And yeah, placing flooring on top will be great. We COULD restore the existing pine plank subfloor, but it's painted and also beat up pretty bad (probably why previous owners laid down carpet (badly and sloppily). Honestly, if the carpeting was in perfect condition and had been professionally fitted and installed, I'm thinking we might have just kept it for the time being and made new flooring a much lower priority. Buuuut the carpet is super gross and sloppy, so we gotta rip it up).

Materials are going to be expensive - we're looking at at least $3.50/sq. ft. for 550 sq. ft. or so of solid wood flooring, plus tool rental/purchase. Our aim is to match the oak flooring that's already in the one bedroom and hallway. I've determined it to be select plus grade, which increases cost for our new flooring, but holy hell having knots and excessive color variation would look like poo poo in this house. The flooring downstairs is clear grade, with the super narrow boards they don't make anymore. Even upstairs, the board width is 2", and the smallest standard width we can get nowadays is 2-1/4", which is good enough for upstairs bedroom.

I'm hoping that with what we put it, it'll stay in for the long haul. Only way I could see someone ripping it up in the future is in the event of some catastrophic damage, or they are a jackass with no taste.

tinytort posted:

As far as paint colours go, take a look at the Pantone sets and figure out what colours you like and what ones you don't like. Have your fiance do the same.

For your bedroom, blues and purples are nice since they're very soothing and tend to help some with relaxing and getting to sleep. But the important part is "you and fiance will be able to stand looking at the colour for the next couple of years".

We grabbed all the free brochures and pamphlets in the paint section the other day at Home Depot for ideas and inspiration. At least with me, my difficulty with figuring out paint colors is that I grew up in a house with an entirely white interior. All the rooms were white. The trim was white. My dad didn't let me or my siblings choose colors to paint our rooms (like all our friends got to do) so our rooms were white also. My parents have since repainted, but now the entire interior is a different color - a very lovely pale gold color with white trim, but still all the same color. So the idea of picking out a bunch of different colors and have them work individually and also be somewhat cohesive is daunting.

We were actually considering some sort of blue for the master bedroom. So many types of blue though. As for purple, neither of us are big fans, but looking at the late Victorian color pallet on the Sherwin-Williams website, there's a lot of purple: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/ho.../late-victorian. Put in the context of our very Victorian house, I don't think they'd be all that bad. I'm currently put off purple in general because the other main bedroom is a super gross lavender right now. And underneath it, there are signs of bright cerulean blue, which would have looked loving terrible and even worse than the current lavender. Previous owners had terrible taste in paint color. Even worse, some of the rooms look recently painted (with leftover cans of paint in the basement), so I think they painted the rooms all the dumb colors for putting the house on the market. I would have been happier if they hadn't bothered.

And another wall coloring consideration: I know the interior design thread crew is gonna eviscerate me, but we are seriously considering wallpaper for some of the rooms. I mean, it's a Victorian - most interior rooms were probably wallpapered at some point. There are remnants of (ugly floral grandma) wallpaper in the closets. Wallpaper is what folks put on their walls back in that era. We'd want stuff that's more subtle and uses few colors (so not full-color bouquets repeated ad nauseum across the wall). Stuff like this:

https://www.birchlane.com/decor/pdp/silk-impressions-327-x-205-in-reg-damask-wallpaper-roll-nowi1144.html (the blue would be nice for bedrooms)

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/walls-republic-everlasting-3297-x-208-damask-wallpaper-wrep1235.html?piid=17379644 (I like the idea of white/neutral wallpapers - lets you have the white without being completely boring)

https://www.birchlane.com/decor/pdp/waverly-byzance-27-x-27-paisley-wallpaper-doq1758.html?piid=15352905 (I kinda love paisley - would put the red in the den. Would be able to pull it off in this house, I think)

I know jackshit about wallpaper so would have to research it more and possibly hire out installation so we don't gently caress it up forever. My only direct experience with it was when I was a kid and my cousin and I helped our grandma peel off the old wallpaper in her kitchen so she could put up new wallpaper.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Authentic Victorian homes would have been as gaudy as possible unless it's a school or monastery.

Edit: We have wallpaper, I like it. It was installed by a pro (DIY would have been miserable and ugly.) White patterns are great on ceilings, too. You can balance out strong colors with white ceilings and plain wainscotting.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 8, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

peanut posted:

Authentic Victorian homes would have been as gaudy as possible unless it's a school or monastery.

Yeah, I don't know where the whole 'the past was drab' thing came from. Probably from 'well, this is what it looked like after years of soot and not being cleaned'. I see it in medievalists too, which is silly as hell given we know what dyes were available and using them on period fabrics gets some kickin' rad neon level colors.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Yeah, I'd been doing some research on Victorian interiors, and they were ludicrous, especially the high style ones. I want to be true to the era when doing the interior, but not THAT true. Don't think I can handle wallpaper on the ceiling, or four types of wallpaper and borders in one room.

Just look at this: http://www.bradbury.com/victorian/victorian.html

Yeah.... thinking we'll tone down the wallpaper and for rooms we don't wallpaper, some nice colors. I do think we can get some more vivid ones, but we have to be careful because while the wrong shade of white isn't going to be that bothersome, the wrong shade of red or deep blue is going to look waay off.

As for furnishings, as word has gotten out to the extended family that we bought a huge old Victorian, we've been gifted lots of Victorian era furniture that relatives had sitting around or in storage. We both love antiques, so this is great. The one thing I'll have to shell out for is a huge Eastlake hall tree to go in our ostentatious foyer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
From the Victorian era: Lincrusta and Anaglypta wall coverings! They're really striking, but I doubt that they're cheap.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Queen Victorian posted:

We grabbed all the free brochures and pamphlets in the paint section the other day at Home Depot for ideas and inspiration. At least with me, my difficulty with figuring out paint colors is that I grew up in a house with an entirely white interior. All the rooms were white. The trim was white. My dad didn't let me or my siblings choose colors to paint our rooms (like all our friends got to do) so our rooms were white also. My parents have since repainted, but now the entire interior is a different color - a very lovely pale gold color with white trim, but still all the same color. So the idea of picking out a bunch of different colors and have them work individually and also be somewhat cohesive is daunting.

I know jackshit about wallpaper so would have to research it more and possibly hire out installation so we don't gently caress it up forever. My only direct experience with it was when I was a kid and my cousin and I helped our grandma peel off the old wallpaper in her kitchen so she could put up new wallpaper.

Okay, so two things here. 1) You're overthinking the cohesiveness, probably. I mean, yeah, you probably don't want anything to clash horribly. But if the room has doors that can section it off from the rest of the house? Don't worry about cohesiveness unless you expect those doors to be open the majority of the time. The bedrooms don't need to blend with the hallway, and the kitchen doesn't have to work with whatever rooms lead into it.

2) Wallpaper is miserable to work with and I would advise using it sparingly. It's possible that it's gotten less awful since I last had to help out with it, but I'd use it for trim only. That way, you're not having to deal with getting whole ceiling-to-floor panels hung perfectly, just small strips that can go anywhere on the wall you want.
If you really really have to have the whole wall done with wallpaper, definitely get a professional to do it for you. Imagine the tedious and obnoxious part of trying to get a screen protector onto your electronics, and then make it a whole wall worth of work. That's what putting up wallpaper is like.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

tinytort posted:

Okay, so two things here. 1) You're overthinking the cohesiveness, probably. I mean, yeah, you probably don't want anything to clash horribly. But if the room has doors that can section it off from the rest of the house? Don't worry about cohesiveness unless you expect those doors to be open the majority of the time. The bedrooms don't need to blend with the hallway, and the kitchen doesn't have to work with whatever rooms lead into it.

The place where cohesion is vital is the downstairs - the foyer, living room, and dining room. These will be more or less open to each other all the time. And they are designed to flow from foyer to living room (parlor) to dining room. There are pocket doors, but they are glass-paned French doors, so even if we do close them, you can still see into the other rooms.

Right now, the foyer is cool sage/olive green (not a particularly good one), living room is bright apricot, and dining room is this dingy greenish white/grey/off-white that I can't quite pinpoint because it shifts depending on lighting. The downstairs coloring sucks right now. Kitchen doesn't matter because it's completely closed off (or will be once we replace the missing doors - gently caress you POs for losing those). It's gonna be white anyways.

Upstairs matters less, but the bedrooms all have transom windows that'll let you see the color/affect light in the hall. So here it would be nice to just not have ridiculous clashing. I do actually like the idea of getting a peek of the different room colors through the transoms. Hallway itself will probably just be white/ivory (similar to what it is now).

quote:

2) Wallpaper is miserable to work with and I would advise using it sparingly. It's possible that it's gotten less awful since I last had to help out with it, but I'd use it for trim only. That way, you're not having to deal with getting whole ceiling-to-floor panels hung perfectly, just small strips that can go anywhere on the wall you want.
If you really really have to have the whole wall done with wallpaper, definitely get a professional to do it for you. Imagine the tedious and obnoxious part of trying to get a screen protector onto your electronics, and then make it a whole wall worth of work. That's what putting up wallpaper is like.

Yeah if we do go with wallpaper, it'll be sparingly, probably in just a couple rooms. And we would hire a pro to apply it. And borders is a thought too.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Posting again because I can't figure out multi quote on the mobile app.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

From the Victorian era: Lincrusta and Anaglypta wall coverings! They're really striking, but I doubt that they're cheap.

These are all divine and basically what I want. Probably way over our budget though. Might even be too fancy for the house - this is the kind of stuff that goes into the Industrial Age robber baron mansions but maybe not the bourgeois houses for upper middle management like ours. Then again I might be underestimating our house because it's been painted over and crapped on so much that it doesn't look nearly as nice as it was intended to, probably.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Queen Victorian posted:

Posting again because I can't figure out multi quote on the mobile app.

These are all divine and basically what I want. Probably way over our budget though. Might even be too fancy for the house - this is the kind of stuff that goes into the Industrial Age robber baron mansions but maybe not the bourgeois houses for upper middle management like ours. Then again I might be underestimating our house because it's been painted over and crapped on so much that it doesn't look nearly as nice as it was intended to, probably.

Well, wallpapers plus carries a selection of both anaglypta and lincrusta, and they both seem to have Victorian era (that's when they were invented) and more modern designs. I don't have a good feel for wallpaper, but if you click to the link, they have a bunch of different anaglypta and lincrusta styles, complete with prices. ed: ouch, lincrusta is really expensive, anaglypta a lot less so.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Ugh guys I've been so busy with wedding stuff (getting married two weeks from now oh god) and trying to move into the house - that's happening on Tuesday so our apartment looks like it's been ransacked because we're sorting and packing. We still haven't bought a washer and dryer (haven't been able to get to the dealer because we have packed schedules and they have dumb hours) but luckily there is a laundromat two blocks from the house for the time being. I think out of all the houses we looked at, this was the only one that didn't come with a washer and dryer.

And then two days after we move, we take off for the PNW to attend a wedding that I'm in (the issues with this wedding need its own thread - I'm more stressed about it than my own wedding).

So yeah, I'm frazzled as gently caress and we're not doing much in the way of house projects, and probably won't be until mid-August when we're back from the wedding/post-wedding getaway (sort of a honeymoon but not really because we're piggybacking on the family trip to the lake so we can save some money to buy hardwood flooring).

Can't wait for all of this to be over so I can sit on the porch of our new house and drink beer (I have not been drinking very much beer because wedding dress).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I got married (the first time ...) about ninety minutes away from Pittsburgh. Despite being late June, when we woke up that morning it was fifty degrees outside, and it was raining sideways.

It was supposed to be an outside wedding.

And you know what? It all still worked out fine. So don't be nervous. poo poo is going to pop up no matter how well you thought you planned, and all you can do is shrug you shoulders and let it slide. It'll be great.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Thanks dude. I think I'm going to be okay with the weddings (hate traveling but once I'm there it's always better). I know my wedding will be nice (my sister is the planner and has been amazing - I'm eternally indebted) but my friend's wedding the week before is a crapshoot - luckily the best man and one of my fellow groomswomen have taken the helm and I think it'll be lovely (there is now a rain plan - there wasn't one before, despite being an outdoor wedding in a literal (temperate) rainforest). I hope so. Despite the poo poo he's put us through for this, I adore my friend and want it to be beautiful.

Now, moving is imminent and it's wearing on me like crazy. Been completely melting down over the dumbest poo poo lately (cumulative stress hooray). We have so much goddamn crap in this apartment (it's huge and we've been here for six years). We're throwing money at movers with their own truck because gently caress moving - I don't want to do another self-move ever again.

On the plus side, when we move, we are trading up our cable/internet package to ludicrous internet speed (15 mb to 1 gb) and gaining DIY Network. Restored is a fantastic show (caught a couple episodes that aired on HGTV) and Brett's intense respect for history and historical authenticity and attention to detail is unbelievably refreshing after hate-watching so much "we need to go open concept and add shiplap" HGTV bullshit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Queen Victorian posted:

Thanks dude. I think I'm going to be okay with the weddings (hate traveling but once I'm there it's always better). I know my wedding will be nice (my sister is the planner and has been amazing - I'm eternally indebted) but my friend's wedding the week before is a crapshoot - luckily the best man and one of my fellow groomswomen have taken the helm and I think it'll be lovely (there is now a rain plan - there wasn't one before, despite being an outdoor wedding in a literal (temperate) rainforest). I hope so. Despite the poo poo he's put us through for this, I adore my friend and want it to be beautiful.

Now, moving is imminent and it's wearing on me like crazy. Been completely melting down over the dumbest poo poo lately (cumulative stress hooray). We have so much goddamn crap in this apartment (it's huge and we've been here for six years). We're throwing money at movers with their own truck because gently caress moving - I don't want to do another self-move ever again.

On the plus side, when we move, we are trading up our cable/internet package to ludicrous internet speed (15 mb to 1 gb) and gaining DIY Network. Restored is a fantastic show (caught a couple episodes that aired on HGTV) and Brett's intense respect for history and historical authenticity and attention to detail is unbelievably refreshing after hate-watching so much "we need to go open concept and add shiplap" HGTV bullshit.

There's also the whole 'spending the rest of your life with a wonderful person you love and building a home together', as well as the faster internet.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah, my mom basically let my fiancée -- in both weddings -- make broad-stroke decisions, and then filled in the details as needed. My family and my ex in-laws are all pretty chill so there weren't many teeth-gritting moments, but my current in-laws (in particular my mother-in-law and her family) can at times be prone to piling on stress rather than helping ease it, and in that case my mom and the bridesmaids assumed the role of interference -- finding subtle ways to pull folks away when they were making things stressful, etc.

Moving does, in fact, suck. It would take ~*~the perfect home~*~ to get me out of this place willingly.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

spog posted:

There's also the whole 'spending the rest of your life with a wonderful person you love and building a home together', as well as the faster internet.

Well that goes without saying :kiddo:

"On the plus side" was not really the right turn of phrase, now that I think about it. The new cable package is a perk and one of those little things to look forward to with moving, but not the only plus by any means. Also had TV on the brain - was watching it while posting. Needed to get my mind off everything else.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

Well that goes without saying :kiddo:

"On the plus side" was not really the right turn of phrase, now that I think about it. The new cable package is a perk and one of those little things to look forward to with moving, but not the only plus by any means. Also had TV on the brain - was watching it while posting. Needed to get my mind off everything else.

yeah, I'm just busting your metaphorical balls on your phrasing. Good luck with it all

(Tertra - how's your hand doing?)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

yeah, I'm just busting your metaphorical balls on your phrasing. Good luck with it all

(Tertra - how's your hand doing?)

It's looking better -- it was starting to look like it was getting infected yesterday, but I think it was just inflamed from lifting, since my pinky finger's distal knuckle was rubbing up against it. Today it's a lot easier to see the hole.

In other news, even Amazon knows Mondays suck.

But we also had some visitors today. I hate it when they're in the front yard, last thing I want is to see these guys splattered across the road directly in front of my house.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Jeez, that's a deep hole. Looks like you'll need to patch that with spackle.

Still painful?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Jeez, that's a deep hole. Looks like you'll need to patch that with spackle.

Still painful?
Only when Tet Jr mashes a finger in it like he's trying to find out where I hid the loot. It's been about 48 hours, so it doesn't sting when I wash it or anything anymore. I'll probably put a layer of Dermabond over it now, since I work in twenty minutes.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Moving day today and it's been a shitshow. Fiancé is over at the house with the movers unloading, and I'm still packing. We severely underestimated both how much poo poo we actually had and how long it would take to box it all up during all that time we didn't have anyway. Since it was not all boxed, we didn't get it all on the truck. At least we got all the big items (e.g. piano).

It's amazing how much poo poo you collect if you stay in one place (that is sufficiently sized) for long enough. Now that we have a house that is twice the size, it's gonna be twice as bad :v:

Also I hear that the movers are displeased with our desire to have offices in the attic, which involves stuffing our giant heavy desks through a tiny doorway. At least my vintage Steelcase kinda comes apart. Not fiancé's oak desk though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Moving is always a poo poo show, best of luck. Need pics of the vintage steelcase too, they're awesome.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Haha, we just did that. Went from a (largeish) two bedroom apartment we'd been in for 4 years to a four bedroom colonial. We hauled stuff all week, and the movers still filled a 26' truck to the goddamn brim. I was there for three days after filling my Dad's suburban with more stuff. Hopefully you're smarter than I am, and didn't run yourself so ragged you got sick right after. :D We didn't pair it with a wedding, but we do have a six month old.

We paired the wedding with changing jobs and moving states four years ago - all in the same week!

And yes, going to need pics of the desks and offices.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Yeah we were our apartment for six years (well, me for six, him for almost five - started out with roommates). It's three bedrooms and very spacious, so we accumulated a TON of crap and didn't even realize it because the space just kept absorbing it.

I didn't even talk about phase two of moving - we had a follow up moving day all last night (like literally pulled an all-nighter) with a Uhaul box truck that will still filled to the brim AFTER the movers got the major items. It totally didn't seem like that much stuff! So that sucked a lot. We shoved the stuff into the living room and are now bound for the west coast tonight for all this wedding stuff (attending one and then getting married ourselves). Will get to sorting out the house once we get back. Ugh it was the worst and I'm glad it's over with.

Edit: Probably will be a while for desk pics. Steelcase was successfully delivered to the attic after they figured out how to get the legs off. I got it for free from one of the science departments at my university. They were just giving away a pile of old surplus Steelcase desks. I took the coolest, least beat up looking one and it's been my desk ever since.

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 26, 2018

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hey I'm back! Our wedding happened and was amazing, and now we just have the house to work on. We're in town for a couple days to get our bearings and then we're driving up to New England for about a week for a mini honeymoon. After that, we'll be trying to get more flooring in before we have to turn the heat on (still have the radiator system drained so we can disconnect and move around radiators to get floorboards underneath them).

Anyways, I'll try to get some sleep. One thing that's so nice about this house compared to our apartment is how quiet it is. There's a very distant city din but the predominant night sound is insect chorus.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Congrats and enjoy the honeymoon.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
That's great, congrats and looking forward to future posts.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Thanks guys!

Late next week after we get back is when the long, long haul of house projects begins in earnest with no distractions like weddings on the west coast.

We also have a fuckton of unpacking/shuffling to do (we have so much crap oh my god where did it all come from). We'll need to be doing some more furniture moving on the second floor to get the gross old carpets up and lay down new flooring.

And then once the other big bedroom is refloored and repainted, we might consider having that as our master bedroom. We picked the green room because it's the only one right now with a decent floor, decent color, and has a fireplace and a nice nook for a wardrobe. Downside is that it faces the street, which is dead quiet at night but starts getting some traffic pretty early. Might be mitigated once we pop in an AC unit and not keep the window open for the box fan. The other room is quieter and also darker, but needs work before we settle in. It is just about as big as the green room and also has a fireplace, but doesn't have that nice wardrobe nook, and is currently a gross purple with gross carpet. Also one of the windows is seriously jammed and is stuck about an inch open - we can't budge it (even with a pry bar) so we'll have to take it apart and fix it.

Oh yeah, and we're still missing a washer and dryer. Thought about going to the laundromat after work (thank goodness there is one two blocks around the corner) but I think we'll just pack a bunch of dirty laundry and do it once we get to the vacation house. And then pick out the toughest, dumbest, simplest, least HE-compliant machines we can find when we get back. Like commercial grade Maytags or older model Speedqueens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I bought a Speedqueen and it's a tank. Didn't bother to look at water usage or anything. Works great.