Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Educational content has all but left broadcast television. National Geographic and a few other stragglers hang on, but TLC went the way of dysfunctional family drama, Discovery channel fell in love with blue-collar jobs, and The History Channel found crab fisherman and never looked back. Don't get me wrong—some of this content is great in its own right, but for fans of the informational and educational side of things there's been a dearth of content for years.

Like podcasting before it, YouTube has come into its own over the past couple of years, offering a massive platform for incredibly niche programming. However, their channel discovery tools are woefully underbaked and it's hard to find anything if you don't already know what you're looking for. So this thread is here to recommend and discuss various educational or informational content amongst a sea of cute cat videos, sad teenagers playing guitar, and vine compilations. This content doesn't have to be dry, as personality is a huge part of many YouTubers successes. And it doesn't have to be traditional educational content, as you'll see from my personal list.

So here's what I'm subscribed to. I've tried to break everything down by category but there's a lot of overlap:

Science
Crash Course: Easily digestible history, science, mythology, economics, and more, well animated
Isaac Arthur: Incredible television-length breakdowns of spacefaring futurism concepts, if you can get past the speech impediment
Fraser Cain: Space and astronomy
Ted-Ed: Short, animated TED talks
Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell: Pop science, well animated
Vox: News and culture
standupmaths: Pop mathematics
SciShow: Pop science
Today I Found Out: Pop science and culture
PBS Digital Studios: Pop science
PBS Ideas Channel: Pop culture, technology, and art
PBS Infinite: Math and our universe
PBS Space Time: Astrophysics
Mental Floss: Pop science/trivia
It's Okay to Be Smart: Pop physics
AsapSCIENCE: General science, animated
Braincraft: Psychology and neuroscience
Cody's Lab: Sort of like Mythbusters, but for chemistry
Deep Look: Animal science focused on the small
John Michael Godier: Space news updates
Fig. 1: Science research out of the University of California
Quartz: Sociological video news and essays
Sixty Symbols: Physics and astronomy
Smarter Every Day: Exploring the world using science
Stated Casually: Science and genetics
The Good Stuff: Pop Science
The Thought Emporium: Taking science out of the lab
Brain Scoop: Science from The Field Museum in Chicago
Veratisium: Science and education
Wendover Productions: How our world works

Technology
N-O-D-E: Advances in technology with a cyberpunk bent
Motherboard: Incredible investigative science and sociological journalism
Seeker: Technology and innovation
Techquickie: Technology news
Chrontendo: playing and reviewing every NES game in depth, chronologically
Tom Scott: Science, technology, and society
Techmoan: Reviews of forgotten and outdated technology
The 8bit Guy: Reviews of forgotten and outdated technology
Tested: Adam Savage propbuilding and technology

History
PBS Eons: The history of the Earth, eon by eon
Townsends: 18th Century Living
Calico Jackson: breaks down dinosaurs in pop culture with an eye to paleontological accuracy
The Living Past: Nature, dinosaurs, evolution
Beta64: breaks down early versions and unused content in video games
Did You Know Gaming: History of popular videogaming franchises and hardware
Gaming Historian: In-depth history of popular videogaming franchises and hardware
Trey the Explainer: Pop paleontology and cryptozoology
Thagomizers: Paleontology, art, and culture
Ben G Thomas Animal science, with a bent toward paleontology
Defunctland: Disney theme park history
Yesterworld: Disneyland and Disney history

Film (warning: variable quality ahead)
ImageworksVFX: Visual effects breakdowns from a visual effects company
Legacy Effects: Special effects breakdowns from a special effects company
Steve Johnson FX: Special effects breakdowns from one of the greatest special effects companies, sadly defunct
StudioADI: Special effects breakdowns from a special effects company
Every Frame a Painting: Great film essays, sadly defunct
Lessons from the Screenplay: Essays on film storytelling
Make-Up Effects Group: Special Effects Techniques
Filmmaker IQ: Film technique history
No Small Parts: Career breakdowns of beloved or undervalued character actors
Nerdwriter: Great film essays
Lindsay Ellis: Film essays with a feminist bent
Science vs Cinema: Turns out movie science is wrong sometimes
Pop Culture Detective: Essays about politics and masculinity in film
FilmJoy: General film essays
Cinema Tyler: General film essays
Like Stories of Old: General film essays
Films&Stuff: More general film essays
Must See Films: More general film essays
iamthatroby: More general film essays
KyleKallgrenBHH: More general film essays
Movies I Love (And So Can You): More general film essays
Now You See It: More General Film Essays
kaptainkristian: Loveletters to films
In Defense Of: Defending undervalued films
Storytellers: More general film essays
The Discarded Image: More general film essays
The Film Theorists: More general film essays
The Royal Ocean Film Society: More general film essays

Other
Binging with Babish: Making food from pop culture with great production values
Andrew Huang: breaks down pop music production in a really accessible way, very "YouTube Personality"-based at times
BonApetit: cooking with an eye toward trendy foods and techniques
David Bull: Japanese woodblock printmaking
Great Big Story: Pop storytelling and sociology
How to Cook That: Baking weird and fun monstrosities
How to Make Everything: How do you make a sandwich from scratch? Absolute scratch, sourcing every element yourself. Or a telescope? Or chocolate? Or makeup?
Klayton Fioriti: Obsessive essays on the Jurassic Park franchise. I can't with good conscience recommend it. But I watch every video.
Luke Towan: Insanely detailed Modelmaking
Kathy Millatt: Modelmaking techniques
Loft Pursuits: Making hard candy
nuggetnogin: Sweet, enthusiastic southern guy metaldetecting and river trawling, ignore the psalms
That Japanese Man Yuta: Dispelling sterotypes about Japanese culture from the Western perspective
The Proper People: The most interesting, least douchey urban explorers I could find
TheGreenMachineLtd: Aquascaping fishtanks into gorgeous forests, sadly defunct
The Wolfe Pit: Guy buys disgusting food from dollar stores and reviews them with subtle social commentary
This Is Dan Bell: Tours of abandoned and depressed shopping malls
Village Food Factory: A man makes food for his village
Summoning Salt: Speedrunning world record breakdowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Do yourself a favor and drop Pretty Good somewhere into this list, which was actually my pick for the 6th best show of last year.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Great War for the history section thanks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TheGreatWar

The channel is covering world war 1 week by week 100 years later with the main episodes and then Q&A and special episodes ontop of that covering various subjects or people throughout the war.

Probably the best youtube 'project' out there.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a great list! Might I humbly suggest:

CineFix, movie channel that, despite its focus on list videos, actually offers fantastic in-depth analysis of film and film techniques.

Adam Neely is a working musician in NYC who regularly posts videos about music theory and analysis as well as regular gig vlogs. He’s really good at explaining difficult concepts, and even his “meme” videos contain educational content.

Clint aka Lazy Game Reviews mostly reviews old games and strange computer peripherals (which he calls oddware). Though not technically educational, he frequently gives background on the people and companies who made the things he’s reviewing, which gives a good view of the computing world of the late 80’s/early 90’s. He also does a decent Duke Nukem impression.

Finally, Peter Brown posts videos of him making things in his wood shop. Though I originally subscribed due to his habit of putting things like gummy bears into craft resin and fashioning axe handles out of them, he is surprisingly informative, to the point where I feel like I could step in front of a wood lathe and fashion a half-decent... chair leg?

[Edit: forgot about Captain Disillusion! He debunks viral videos while explaining how to do the visual effects used in said videos. If you’ve ever seen a video and wondered “huh, how’d they do that?” you can probably find the explanation on his channel.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 19, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs streams a bunch of their (guest) lectures for the internet to enjoy. Topics include problems facing modern journalism, democracy/challenges in brazil and the global south in general, challenges when fighting poverty, displacement of peoples, and many other topics that are international and political.

they also occasionally make ~1 min videos on something that's noteworthy in some way where one of their professors gives a bullet-point overview of wtf happened, its causes and consequences, for example here's nick barnes providing context on Brazil deploying the military in combating lawlessness; or Maung Zarni on the Rohingya genocide

basically a good series of analyses on various topics in international affairs.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 19, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friends hate it when I put youtube on because a lot of my youtube tastes tend to skew slower, educational, and dry. Ergo, "boring." But that's ok with me. Here's some channels I watch. It's going to skew mostly video game centric.

Digital Foundry is an offshoot of Eurogamer that reviews games on a technical level. If you're conflicted on what console you should pick up a game on, they're a great resource.

Slope's Game Room is notable for his videos where he details the complete history of video game series. He's British and skews heavily on Sega.

Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit is a look at game mechanics and how developers utilize them.

Jeremy Parish from Retronauts's channel has video essays where he chronologically reviews NES/SNES/GameBoy games from from a historical context. It's a very ambitious project.

Ok, that's enough video game youtube channels.

Lon.TV is a computer/tech channel that has the air of the Tech TV glory days.

I'm certain that This Is Dan Bell will be posted here by other people if it hasn't been posted by the time I get this out, so I'll also post a local guy who does the same thing. Retail Archaeology mostly chronicles retail stores in Arizona, focusing mostly on dead/dying malls.

Rob Dyke is a true crime channel. He gives the same vibe as 90s true crime shows like Unsolved Mysteries and Forensic Files. He has no reverence for the serial killers when he does biographies for them.

Company Man makes videos where he talks about the history of corporations. Two popular series he does are "Bigger Than You Know" where he talks about all the subsidiaries some corporations have that you might not be aware of, and "The Decline of..." where he talks about why certain companies go out of business or are in danger of doing so. He did one about Toys R Us a few months ago so when the news broke last week I was able to smugly tell people that Amazon had nothing to do with it.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 20, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cooking shows are another thing that cable TV has decided to throw by the wayside in favor of shows that absolutely need to have Guy Fieri and/or a competition theme to them. Personally, I just wanna learn how to make something without all the drama or hassle. All of these channels focus on one kind of cuisine. Some of them are more educational than others but they're all good sources of recipes.
  • Cooking With Dog is a Japanese cooking channel. No, they don't cook dog on it, the dog sits on the counter while an old Japanese lady makes the dish. Unfortunately, Francis (the dog) died in late 2016, so videos have been less frequent and without him.
  • Maangchi makes Korean food. The New York Times called Maangchi the Korean Julia Child for her quirky charm. For her part, Maangchi responded by saying she has no idea who Julia Child is.
  • Nisha Madhulika makes Indian food. You have to turn on the closed captioning for English subtitles, as she speaks in Hindu. Every recipe here is vegetarian but there's no stopping you from adding whatever meat you want to the dishes. Also very relaxing to watch.
  • Pailin's Kitchen is a Thai cooking channel. Pailin is based in Canada but born and raised in Thailand. I just started subscribing to this channel but Thai food is one of my favorite cuisines.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gonna second the ownage of LGR, Captain Disillusion and Dan Bell.

Here's a few I like:

Defunctland: I was told to post about this in here. This guy mainly talks about theme park rides that are now closed. He goes in to detail about their inception, what the ride was liked and why it eventually closed. I really like him a lot, and he puts out videos at an kind of scary pace

Bright Sun Films: Covers much as the same stuff as Defuntland but also goes into closed businesses and other failures. Also does some Dan Bell like urban exploration.

Did You Know Gaming: Just brief little videos full of random facts about varios video games and video game topics. Nothing amazing but often informative and contains a few things that I didn't know.

Core-A Gaming: A guy explaining a bunch of the intricacies of fighting games and the fighting games community.

Fleb: Just a guy (who I believe is a puzzle maker by trade) that goes through various puzzles and how to solve them.

Larry Bundy Jr: I think this guy used to have a game related show on BBC but these days he's mostly on youtube. His videos may look like clickbait gaming listicles at first but his stuff is actually usually very interesting, well researched and full of facts I'd never heard before.

Night Mind: A Breakdown of various horror related media (mostly horror series). The host is not quite as insightful as he thinks he is, but his stuff is still very enjoyable. Also that man has a silky smooth voice.

Nightmare Masterclass: Basically the same as above but from a different perspective. Also not as insightful as he thinks he is, but more in a college Freshman kinda way. Still some good stuff.

pannenkoek2012: OK, this one is extremely specific. This is a guy that's devoted his life to beating Mario 64 pressing the A button as few times as possible. That might not sound interesting but the videos explaining some of the stuff he does are loving bonkers

Edit: just noticed two things I posted were already in the OP. Oh well...

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 20, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Numberphile: stereotypically quirky mathematicians explain strange numbers, weird geometric constructions, and other perplexing things.

Mr Carlson's Lab: a small man dwarfed by far too many oscilloscopes. Explains electronic topics slowly, calmly and deeply. The Bob Ross of vacuum tube amplifiers.

Game Hut: old-school Sega programmer reveals low-level coding tricks & secrets of game effects.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 20, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ynohtna posted:

Game Hut: old-school Sega programmer reveals low-level coding tricks & secrets of game effects.

Ooh I forgot about Game Hunt. He’s got some really interesting videos about what they tricked the Genesis into doing, like displaying hundreds more colors than it was actually supposed to and fitting an FMV intro into a Genesis cart. Very cool stuff.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This are all super popular but they haven't been listed as yet.

Vsauce Educational Channel that focuses on (as per their Wikipedia entry)
Veritasium General Science, with a focus on dispelling public misconceptions about Science
Captain Disullusion Goes in the Film/VFX section but this channel focuses on dispelling viral/paranormal hoax videos highlighting the SFX tricks used to accomplish them.
CGP Grey General Education focusing on politics, geography, economics, history, and culture

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm quite fond of School of Life. They're a little dry, but tend to have one or two insights that make it worthwhile.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Anubis is a YouTube channel that highlights state parks in Florida, and possibly state parks elsewhere in the future. It's named for the greyhound the channel creator takes on her trips. According to her dog's Instagram page (@anubis_the_greyt), she's also big into astronomy, so there may be some of those videos in the future. Very relaxing videos and Anubis is all smiles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UChalKOKFNdPgcheruAamx6Q - Batzilla the Bat

This is one of a few channels from Wildlife Habitats, just videos of Bats being Cute but there is a lot to learn from them about Bat behaviour, like the reason they always give the babies pacifiers - Bats latch onto their mothers while children with their teeth being the most secure method - when their teeth are clamped around a teat, real or artificial, then they "know" that they are in no danger of falling. Not having a dummy can result in slight panic because of most of the babies being orphans who have no mothers to attach to.

Also some of the rescue vids go into the problems that a lot of bats face, like Large Aperture Netting - terrible lovely netting used to protect fruit trees from birds, that bats often get badly caught in. Happily a lot of orchard owners do switch to less dangerous netting (basically if you can get your finger through a hole, a bat gan get it's head through it or worse) when told about the effects, although a small minority are cheap assholes about it. As a result one of the main non-medical expenditures is buying large swathes of Good Netting to donate to orchards to increase the chance the switch is done.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Some more that I enjoy:

Michael Jamison loves animals, especially tigers, and loves sharing lessons and insights about animals and his relationships with them. Tigers react to kittens is a fun one. He's not strictly educational, but he's certainly fascinating.

Do you like art? Do you wish you could paint? Or do you just love watching someone paint? Then watch Watercolor by Shibasaki, the Japanese Bob Ross.

Does that inspire you to want to learn drawing? Proko's got you covered. He is the #1 recommendation in Creative Convention when anyone asks how they should learn to draw or improve their art. He has a series about learning the basics, but does interviews with artists and gives advice that even experts can learn from. Some of the videos are NSFW simply because you gotta learn how to draw sexy nudes before you learn to draw boring clothes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like just about everything Hank Green is involved with, but the regular sci-show channel is really hit and miss, and the hosts can make or break it. I think Hank and Michael kill it, while Olivia and Stefan are really hard to watch. Sci show space and psych are top notch though.

I've been seriously binging PBS Eons lately, and i think it's my favorite youtube edutainment right now.

For History stuff I'm a big fan of Knowledgehub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVEkH14Jrc

They have a sister channel that's pure speculative fiction called AlternateHistoryHub that's sometimes good, sometimes bad, but overall if you like speculative historical fiction I think this guy does it pretty well.

Extra Credits: Extra History
is also really neat, although i'm not a huge fan of the pitch-shifted voice, I enjoy them nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ZZeCDGHJE

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Some more of my favourites.

Georg Rockall-Schmidt: a sardonic lava lamp talks about films (e.g. how the Predator movies changed over time), pop culture and sometimes other stuff (i.e. 10 signs I'm a dickhead).

Physics Girl: accessible physics explanations, experiments, weird interactions, and awkward academics.

This Guy Edits: strong insight, advice and tips on editing film from a well-experienced pro.

Markus Fuller: Markus tears synthesizers apart - and lays bare all their gubbins - so you don't have to.

ElectroBOOM: Medhi takes all possible electrical shocks to his gubbins - and barely survives - so you don't have to.

Ben Eater: building an 8-bit micro-computer piece by piece on breadboard.

Two Minute Papers: breezy bite-size overviews of the latest advances in science, with particular bias towards AI and photo-realistic rendering.

AI and Games: Dr Tommy Thompson breaks down game AI architectures and game applicable research.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
A lot of the majors have been touched but I'll thrown in:

Zenos Warbirds - Lots of interesting historical military/training films as well as some more modern stuff. It's mostly relating to aviation but there's a few other topics as well. Fascinating little time capsule.

Townsends - Old timey/historical cooking channel with a little bit of primitive technology thrown in. Wanna know how to make 18th century fried chicken or potted meat? Go here.

Primitive Technology - Didn't see this one mentioned yet so here you go. Related channels are worth checking too.

Linus Tech Tips - Computer nerding/building/reviewing stuff. There's a lot of these channels out there but they actually seem pretty reliable.

AvE - Engineering and manufacturing channel. It's very much geared to people in the profession I think but interesting to listen in on.

Dark5 - Covers unsolved mysteries, conspiracies, spooky/creepy stories in brief. Wouldn't take it seriously, mostly just for fun but they do hit some interesting topics now and then.

edit: whoops just realized Townsends was in fact mentioned

Erghh fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 22, 2018

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Erghh posted:

AvE - Engineering and manufacturing channel. It's very much geared to people in the profession I think but interesting to listen in on.
ave is geared towards any man or woman that has ever wanted to dick around in a garage or shed with machines to see how they chooch.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

This thread is right up my alley!

Some of my favorites:

3Blue1Brown: Good explanation of math topics. If you took Calculus but didn't really learn it because of the way it was taught, you might understand after seeing his animated diagrams.

The Action Lab: Science experiments you can do at home, like boiling water using a blender or making a home-made particle detector.

Technology Connections: Shows the history of different technology, recently focusing on different storage media.

Objectivity: A Numberphile spinoff showing rare museum artifacts in soothing voices.

What's Inside?: A guy and his son try to find interesting things to cut in half.

Game Developer's Conference: Seminars showing the artistic and technical process behind how video games are made.

Ask a Mortician: You'd be surprised how much time you can spend hearing stories about death and dead bodies.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
More? More!

Fran Blanche: "Apollo Computer Anatomist" Fran loves explaining things like the first LEDs, guitar effects, spaceship tech, tubes, and similar circuitous eccentricities.

8 Bit Music Theory: Why does Mario music sound "fun"? What are that sonic hedgehog's secret songwriting tips? Want to learn some jazz reharmonization tips from pokemon? Here's your start button for that.

Jonathan Meades: archive of somewhat surreal, deeply caustic video essays often but not always about place, architecture and culture.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Great thread idea and very impressive list! I probably watch more YouTube content than television content. Just about everything I would have suggested has already been posted, but here are two that aren't quite Discovery Channel-esque but worth checking out:

Wisecrack - Examining film, television, video games, and books through the lens of philosophy.

New Rockstars - Very smart and in-depth analysis of current hot pop culture.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like this woman's videos about her experiences being deaf (IIRC she started being able to hear and it just... faded over time and now she's stone deaf) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFuL2KYRdc

She's quite funny and her very 1950s-chic aesthetic is quite unique.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

BioEnchanted posted:

I really like this woman's videos about her experiences being deaf (IIRC she started being able to hear and it just... faded over time and now she's stone deaf) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFuL2KYRdc

She's quite funny and her very 1950s-chic aesthetic is quite unique.

I've met Jessica (we live in the same town) and she's great!

Clickspring: Yet another channel for those who appreciate metal working with an incredibly obsessive attention to detail. You'll find here beautifully documented steps of machining spares and tools, a large wheel skeleton clock from raw stock, and "a recreation of the Antikythera Mechanism in its most authentic form to date, with the intention of establishing the nature of the tools, techniques and technology used to create it."

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I didn't see it posted, but The Signal Path is a real electronics heavy channel. They guy is way smarter than I ever will be but if you want to watch (or fall asleep to) some real long videos about tearing down and repairing oscilloscopes, network analyzers, power supplies, or crazy microwave stuff; this might just fascinate you.

Also, he's got this bitchin painting hanging in his workshop:

This channel, Connor Wolf, also has a lot of electronics teardowns and repairs, but it unfortunately hasn't been active in a year. Also, the guy is goony looking as gently caress.

I'm also a fan of Shango066 and his repair videos of old vacuum tube/transistor radios and tv's. Jordan Pier has a lot electronic repair videos as well, mostly focusing on older audio equipment.

LGR/Lazy Game Reviews talks about a lot of old PC games, PC hardware, or other random electronics from the 80's,90's and early 2000's and does it in a very friendly way.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 8, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like to watch documentaries on rivers when I'm winding down for the night. There's an excellent one on the Danube that I've seen like 5 times

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Simone Giertz

If you watch Tested you might have seen Simone pop up from time to time. Her main thing is building lovely robots and it really scratches that old Mythbusters people building ridiculous stuff itch for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A few new favorite channels:

Deja View: Did you know that there was an unauthorized Turkish Star Trek TV show with a wacky new crew member? Or that there was an Indonesian ripoff of Rambo—shot twice with an Australian and Indonesian actor for different markets? Or an animated Korean ripoff of Tron, or a Brazilian Planet of the Apes ripoff, as well as an entire Japanese TV series ripoff? This terribly dressed man will introduce you to all of them and many, many more.

History Of Comics On Film: Exactly what it sounds like, and far, far more comprehensive than you'd think. From a series on every adaptation of The Green Hornet to many versions of Superman (and a dozen more) to obscure jungle comics togoofy live action TV specials, the narrator breaks down the history of adaptations of comic books and comic strips over time with some solid dry humor. Warning: the production values and audio is pretty rough on the first dozen or two, but vastly improves after a point.

Oliver Harper's Retrospectives & Reviews: A quick movie summary followed by a thorough breakdown and review of genre films. Well-produced and well-researched.

• Locked thread