Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
started this series yesterday, partly because the pictures of how wild it gets in later seasons in this thread's op. good op, op

all the principals are a little ridiculously good-looking, and i'm actively rooting against almost everyone but octavia and linc(q?)oln. death to the settler-colonialist sky bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ain't no jobs for a Paul Giamatti in genre tv these days

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
do the girls in bellamy's harem at the start of s1 ever get any characterization

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it was pretty funny seeing the Man from Z Nation show up in a show that also features Mt. Weather as a major setting

preeeeety disappointed the rest of the space pricks made it down though, was looking forward to seeing them die in orbit

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm in the back 1/4 of Season 2 now, and I see what y'all are saying about Kane. He's come along way from being the sky bitch top cop

does clarke's mom ever make a similar u-turn or does she stay terrible? i will not consider 'she dies' a spoiler, but please don't tell me the reason, i'd like to enjoy that to the fullest

e: and are Jasper and Monty seriously not a couple? between the Masper ref in the op and them sharing a tent in S1 i just took it for granted that Jasper was bi and Monty was gay and they were shacking up like everyone else in the first 100. them playing Jasper as straight and him and monty as 'just close friends' in S2 threw me for a loop

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 29, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astroman posted:

Now keep an eye on Murphy, who is the Best Character In The Show, and Jaha, who is loving insane. :allears:

I'm in very early S3 and i'm starting to come around to that first position, yeah. That was a quality freakout while he was trapped underground for three months. Jaha's been clearly insane since the incident with the 'last baby on the ark' though.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
pretty disappointed to see Bellamy revert to his S1 ways as soon as he's presented with a male role model as obviously dumb and belligerent as he was back then

the sky bitches must be genetically predisposed to falling to fascism at the first opportunity, after culling anyone who stepped out of line on the ark for 97 years

i already know from glancing at wikis that pike kills lincoln, i just hope his comeuppance for that is righteous and visceral

e: and christ almighty is clarke's mom the worst post apocalyptic leader on television. never thought somebody would take that crown from Rick on Walking Dead, but here we are

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
full nihilist jasper is even better than suicidal alcoholic jasper

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
finished s4 late last night. really enjoyed the breakdown of all the societies we'd gotten to know in the face of apocalypse. impressed by how different each successive season was, though certain notes (people getting shot just as they're about to stab someone else; clarkemom making terrible terrible choices) certainly get replayed again and again. the polis stuff got a little hokey when lexa was in charge, but as all that started to unravel in the face of coups, the breaking of the line of commanders etc. it got very interesting again. count me in for more warlady sky rippa, whenever and however the vault dwellers dig their way out. murphy and emori are the protagonists of this story in my book though

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
does uh

does clarke paint with her own black blood now

cause that's cool

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah. the kid is probably the last true-born nightblood too, not that it seems likely the grounder survivors in the bunker will care anymore

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is one show where the end of each season has felt complete enough to be the end of the series, even 4 if you cut the bit from the end of the finale of clarke in eden

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
she's the ice nation woman who kicked octavia off a cliff that one time. she slipped into the last Conclave to try and skew things in favor of Roan, was banished when he confronted her, encountered the crew who went back to the Ark ring on their way to ALIE's island, and now six year's later she's NeoSkykru sleeping with Bellamy

can't remember her name for the life of me but she's had a wild ride

e: and all the clarke time will be justified when we spend the next episode with Warlady Sky Rippa, her vizier Jaha, and the increasingly insane survivors trapped in that bunker an extra year and a half

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acacia REI posted:

Giving the Grounders such a disproportionate representation in the bunker over Skaikru

we are all grounders

real talk if there'd stayed 400 skaikru in the bunker, plus ~800 from the other 11 clans, there would've been an open civil war between skaikru and the rest long before it was even safe for the bunker to open. there would've been far too clear a demarcation between skaikru and everyone else

making skaikru's allotment proportionate to the the other clans was the only chance for the group sharing the bunker to avoid slaughtering each other outright. happily, it was also the most just choice

the sky rippa will be a leader beyond the dreams of the commanders

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
octavia is not a commander, the line of the commanders and the rule of the flamekeepers is broken, and good riddance.

octavia is the girl under the floorqueen of the underworld

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Because they have actual worthwhile skills and understand how to maintain the bunker which will be critical to their survival for the next 5 years. So yea unironically gently caress the grounders. Or are you seriously suggesting they should kick a real doctor / engineer / technician out and let in one of their healers / builders because it's the same thing?

if a second string guard bro with no notable technical skills like miller was on clarke's list of 100 (and he was, since we see him pulled away in the second cull) then skaikru's doctors and engineers were already accounted for. next

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
octavia is exactly the warrior empress wonkru needs

what she's accomplishing here is glorious, genuine cultural syncretism

she's ishtar embodied, right down to the dead tammuz-husband, founding an empire in the underworld, i can't get enough

may she feed those tech'd up old worlders from the gagarin their intestines, and the nightbloods too if they object

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
a little disappointed to see Jaha go, but honestly somebody should've knifed him over the whole 'becoming the prophet of robot apocalypse' thing a long time ago

his last act definitely saved the survivors of skaikru from kara's cowardice and treachery tho

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its amazing that those people who built the bunker prepared for everything but never considered the possibility that a nuclear apocalypse could make that huge rear end building collapse above the one and only entrance

well that building did survive one nuclear apocalypse pretty well, it just wasn't up to a second one a hundred years later

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ALIE didn't even really predict the praimfaya (love that word) too far out, she just detected the first nuclear plant cook-offs and did the math

she would've been powerless to do anything about it too if Jaha descending from the ring hadn't given her a source of juice to go mobile with

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
from what Jasper said and did cyber-Vancouver was really nice. he had a dang triple-scoop strawberry ice cream cone when Clarke spied him there

and i expect ALIE's longer-term plan lay along the lines of using facilities at the island or in space to vat-grow a fresh human race after the praimfaya, one where everyone gets the Key at birth. for all we know taking the Key uploaded each citizen's genetic code along with their minds to the City of Light, it might've been possible for ALIE to place everyone who joined in new, perfected versions of their old bodies if they liked.

then Clarke ruined it all, naturally

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm frankly astonished a human child survived six years alone with her, nightblood or not

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
oktavia blodreina gonna show clarke who the real Khan of Khans is

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i doubt they're eating the meat outside of ceremonial purposes, which is fine by me honestly

but i'd be astonished if the bodies aren't becoming fertilizer or getting used to grow mushrooms like on The Expanse

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder what the big terrible crisis of season 6 will be

my money's on zombies

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if madi and a mildly dull-edged wanheda caused this much trouble for skaikru2, they have no chance against wonkru

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clarke's going to bridge the divide between Wonkru and Gagarinkru by banging the hell out of the prisoner general

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
as always and ever, Abbie is the worst

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the betting that by the end of this season Monty reaches the conclusion that Jasper was right

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really want octavia to either feed clarke her own face or step down gracefully once some sort of modus vivendi is reached with gagarinkru, but i've got a terrible feeling this ends with clarke or bellamy (or both) having to kill her

probably soon after octavia kills echo

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
diyoza's not the only woman in gagarinkru, at least one of the skinheads in the prisoner files Raven and Murphy paged through was female

their population's probably a lot more slanted gender-wise than wonkru though

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it just occurred to me that even with the losses of the Dark Year (which I assume to be the first year after they exceeded the 5-year span the bunker was supposed to carry them through), Octavia's insistence that every component clan of Wonkru send 100 into the vault still saved roughly double the ~400 people Jaha was willing to save by sealing up Skaikru alone down there

Bloodreina saved more lives through the Final Conclave and the blood pit than Wanheda took at Mt. Weather

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vermain posted:

I did have a giggle at those xenomorph worms, though. The killer death wave wiped out every living thing except for the loving parasitic worms living at the bottom of the ocean floor, eh?

oh i think it's far worse than that

those worms could just be the larval stage of that gigantic carnivorous lamprey that attacked Murphy and Jaha's boat on the first trip to ALIE's island. which may now be warped into a shark-sized sand lamprey, given how this show treats nuclear apocalypse like a wild and lethal sort of magic

there could be all manner of terrible creatures already warped by a hundred years of life and reproduction after the first nuclear war, mutated even further by praimfaya

speaking of weird monsters, last season when the nightblood serum crew ventured to ALIE's island and was set upon by those gun drones, Emori said some vague stuff about there being far worse things than the drones lurking around the island, the same things the drones were actually intended to defend against. i wonder if we're going to find out what she meant by that, since post-praimfaya mutant weirdness is now definitely on the table

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Madi made the right call, everybody is underestimating Octavia. And Octavia was right to have death botanist shoot the people who would desert Wonkru for the neo sky bitch imperialists

Kane becoming a straight up traitor to his people, becoming Diyoza's Kissinger and hapless sexual conquest, is pretty hilarious

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
murph and emori are probably my favs on the cast since lincoln was killed, i liked how believable their falling-out on the ring was, i liked how in-character their reunification was.

hopefully this means an eventual return of the murphy and emori who were whispering in each others' ears and so confident in their bond during that scene between them and clarke in the becca-bunker kitchen

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
man this is getting disappointing. bellamy and clarke have turned almost as bad as season 4 Abbie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
before the end of this season I really hope Octavia gets to fight Bellamy without being recovering from invasive worms, or poisoned or whatever, and finally whoop his rear end properly

• Locked thread