Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I get hating on recap episodes, but it's kinda ridiculous to hate on one that's done at the beginning of season 3 and that adds some filler content of it's own.

I2ll put it this way: I'd rather there be a recap episode than 5 minutes of recap at the start of evert episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There'll still be that anyway :twisted:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That opening is hot garbage though.
It ends just when it's finally starting to pick up.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Why not just not do recap instead, do they think viewers are this stupid? Your season opening should be engaging.

Terrible waste of time episode, I would rather just get 5 minutes of recap so I could at least loving skip it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I rewatched the series like two months ago to get ready for the new season, that'll show me! :v:

I'll echo the disappointment at the opening, it's particularly notable after every other opening for this show being awesome as hell.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Pakled posted:

I rewatched the series like two months ago to get ready for the new season, that'll show me! :v:

I'll echo the disappointment at the opening, it's particularly notable after every other opening for this show being awesome as hell.

Yeah, this OP is pretty bland.

This show has such a good cast. They're good kids :3:

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I really like the visuals, but I'm not too keen on the song. It'll probably grow on me though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I quite like the OP song, have since the preview. I guess I'm the wrongest moron in the anime room.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
Are recaps really absolutely necessary though? Most shows especially into the 3rd season have enough faith that the viewers know what the show is about and it works out. And if they forget it's not like the old episode are forever lost in time unable to be revisited. Also it's not like MHA is a deep web of lore and intrigue that really needs a recap tbh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There is seriously no pleasing some of you. Episode was fine. Kinda weird to open on a recap episode, but it's also not a big deal. Kinda like the Mineta stuff wound up not being a big deal either.

Can't we all just enjoy our super people show?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I laughed at the race, at least.

It was a harmless tone-setting catch up episode for people that havent seen or thought about the series since season 2 ended.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Season 2 opened on recap episode too, so I guess recap episode is something that will happen at the beginning of every Season. :shrug:

And if we HAVE to have a recap episode, doing it like this and giving it a proper setup and bunch fun little interactions between the class is probably the best way to do it. Also the outright denial of the usual pool/beach episode cliches was appreciated.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

StopHangingDjs posted:

Are recaps really absolutely necessary though? Most shows especially into the 3rd season have enough faith that the viewers know what the show is about and it works out. And if they forget it's not like the old episode are forever lost in time unable to be revisited. Also it's not like MHA is a deep web of lore and intrigue that really needs a recap tbh

Yeah, you go ahead and tell the production companies in Japan that "Hey, your recaps probably aren't necessary!", I'm sure they'll all look at each other and say "Of course, how were we so blind"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ibblebibble posted:

I quite like the OP song, have since the preview. I guess I'm the wrongest moron in the anime room.

I was trying to get in first and preemptively defend the EDM OP song, but looks like I'm too late :(

I liked it too

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I liked the song and the animation a lot, independent of one another.

Having them combined didn't work too well.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

Terper posted:

Yeah, you go ahead and tell the production companies in Japan that "Hey, your recaps probably aren't necessary!", I'm sure they'll all look at each other and say "Of course, how were we so blind"

I mean sure whatever, that doesn't make it good story telling which is what I care more about. I found the episode mostly boring and forgettable. Doesn't mean I hate the show just that I didn't like this episode

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The first episode could have been a no-budget gainax manga cutouts clip show and it'd still wouldn't have hurt its ratings or its future success. Let's just be thankful they care enough to make it a proper-ish episode.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The OP is really nice. The song is pretty average which is disappointing since Uverworld can do some really good poo poo. No saxaphone??

Also recaps are fine and normal and the Tsuyu filler ep last season was good. It's filler- it's never going to be substantial unless you guys somehow WANT Bones to start doing their "anime original plot" stuff to MHA. I liked it but take a good hard look at FMA 2003 and think, "Do I want Bones to do substantial filler or rewrite that make the anime canon unique from the manga?"

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Shere posted:

It was a harmless tone-setting catch up episode for people that havent seen or thought about the series since season 2 ended.
Hi this is me.

I appreciate that some amount of actual effort was put into it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Season 2 also began with a recap episode, and then the next episode was half recap and half actual show. I'll count us lucky if this is all we have to endure.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was not even bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this show airs on actual tv and is aimed at pre-teen boys, i think reminding people who only catch it when its on tv, is, well, understandable and normal.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I liked the recap episode. I like watching this cast just gently caress around

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

this show airs on actual tv and is aimed at pre-teen boys, i think reminding people who only catch it when its on tv, is, well, understandable and normal.

I am fine with it but honestly I would be cool with just a recap rather than trying to sandwich a story in there

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am fine with it but honestly I would be cool with just a recap rather than trying to sandwich a story in there
I think it was fun. It's pretty much there to establish who is friends with who, reinforce some archetypes a little, and provide a bit of comedy.

Also I feel like the anime crew legit trolled the portion of the audience that whines about the (insanely tame) fanservice stuff by having the girls' swimsuits featured prominently in the twitter/media previews and then having the actual episode have them show up in (duh, of course) their school issued swimsuits and have all of the dudes basically reenacting an episode of Free!.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I actually like the OP. Mainly because I never heard of that group before the that OP song is hype as gently caress for me. I just understand that they kinda shoulda cut out that pre-chorus chunk so that the chorus has more room in the OP.

If someone made an edit of The OP so that chorus starts at 0:58 instead of 1:13. I think that one thing there dragged it down just a bit.

But I still like it a lot. It's not miserable and that's all that matters to me.

Also jesus recap episodes are necessary, this isn't a netflix binge series. (I'd wait the extra time if they really did release the whole season at once, dubbed and all) I don't really think they would cover any more of the manga if they were just told to scrap a recap. What they cover is planned from the start, recap or no.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the song but I feel the images in the OP are out of order for the song and they don't match.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

God, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. It doesn't sync up at all and it really takes me out of it.

Also theres nothing wrong with recap episodes its just slightly underwhelming to start out with one imo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Episode was good.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Having watched all of s1 and s2 last week I didn't need a recap episode but as far as recap episodes go it was fine.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I've had this on my "I've heard this is good, I should start watching this at some point, especially before it gets too long" list for a while. Can someone sell me on actually starting it?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It's real good, you should watch it.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

lobster22221 posted:

I've had this on my "I've heard this is good, I should start watching this at some point, especially before it gets too long" list for a while. Can someone sell me on actually starting it?

It has the best BGM for heroic moments ever.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

lobster22221 posted:

It's standard shounen but everything it does it does very very well. It's one of those shows that make you feel like you're a kid again watching a show on TV and actually getting invested in it even if you can probably guess what is going to happen (after years of watching tv/anime).

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

lobster22221 posted:

Lucky for you there are recap episodes if you want to jump ahead. :shepface:

(You should totally watch from the beginning though, it's an amazing series and it's not long at all right now.)

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Woah, that is nice.

Ularg posted:

(You should totally watch from the beginning though, it's an amazing series and it's not long at all right now.)

I'll probably do this. If I start a series, I will binge it. I hate starting in the middle, even with recaps. No idea why I decided to try Gintama(It was worth it)

gmq posted:

It's standard shounen but everything it does it does very very well. It's one of those shows that make you feel like you're a kid again watching a show on TV and actually getting invested in it even if you can probably guess what is going to happen (after years of watching tv/anime).

Is it on par with or close to HxH? If so, I think that would definitely seal the deal.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 7, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

lobster22221 posted:

Is it on par with or close to HxH? If so, I think that would definitely seal the deal.

As someone who watched HxH right after season 2 ended, yes.

That said HxH has higher highs, but much lower lows. My Hero Academia is consistently good, but not as good as say the best of the YorkNew City and Chimera Ant arcs. But then again it's less than 40 episodes so far.

Edit - Comparing the series is like comparing apples and oranges. One focuses on bringing the standard Shonen formula to the 2010s era, while the other focuses on deconstructing the entire genre, if not storytelling in general.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 7, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

As someone who watched HxH right after season 2 ended, yes.

That said HxH has higher highs, but much lower lows. My Hero Academia is consistently good, but not as good as say the best of the YorkNew City and Chimera Ant arcs. But then again it's less than 40 episodes so far.

I think I'll give it a shot then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Season 1 will feel kinda slow to people I think because it's a lot of world and character building, and the stakes don't get really real until the end. Season 2 is excellent and improves on S1.

Season 3 (outside of this opening filler/recap episode) is basically the point at which the poo poo well hits the fan and the stakes and consequences for what happens escalates dramatically.