Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agronox posted:

It wasn’t complete filler, right? It implies pretty heavily that Brad King is selling out UA. That hasn’t come up before.

Uh no. He is just learning about the Class opposite his, as he is not familiar with 1A, unlike B, and he is going to be working with them on the trip.

Also they wanted to give us a recap on their quirks. I highly doubt Vlad is a traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I didn't realize how much I've missed Bakugo's screams until they assaulted my eardums again.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

What chapter does the latest episode fall on (or if that isn't cannon at all, then the one next week)?

Since I didn't see anyone quite answer this: The episode isn't cannon but is vaguely inspired by some omake from vol. 6. Next episode should start with the back half of ch.70, if everything is back on track.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

En Family Mook posted:

Since I didn't see anyone quite answer this: The episode isn't cannon but is vaguely inspired by some omake from vol. 6. Next episode should start with the back half of ch.70, if everything is back on track.

Thanks. drat, so the show is like 40% caught up with the manga.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks. drat, so the show is like 40% caught up with the manga.

If all they do is animate about 45-50 chapters a year they'll basically stay exactly far enough behind the manga to never catch up, assuming Horikoshi can stay healthy and they actually want to continue animating it.

Given the nature of the production I'd say they would sooner just stop producing it than let it become another Bleach/Naruto filler purgatory thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shere posted:

Given the nature of the production I'd say they would sooner just stop producing it than let it become another Bleach/Naruto filler purgatory thing.

Good.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Shere posted:

If all they do is animate about 45-50 chapters a year they'll basically stay exactly far enough behind the manga to never catch up, assuming Horikoshi can stay healthy and they actually want to continue animating it.

Or whatever the gently caress happened to One Piece.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Or whatever the gently caress happened to One Piece.

What happened to One Piece? I ask because I stopped watching the anime a long time ago and stuck with the manga.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

What happened to One Piece? I ask because I stopped watching the anime a long time ago and stuck with the manga.

Imagine an anime that adapted less than one chapter per episode. Now stop imagining, because that is literally what is happening.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what do one piece fans in japan think of that state of affairs anyway

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Never thought I would see a show where the protagonist sleds on explosions.

This show really is great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sirtommygunn posted:

Imagine an anime that adapted less than one chapter per episode. Now stop imagining, because that is literally what is happening.
I don't think Dragon Ball Z ever even got that bad.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Is the anime that close to the manga or are they just being dumb and weird?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the anime that close to the manga or are they just being dumb and weird?

Oda takes a break every 4 weeks, plus the 3 or 4 breaks shonen jump goes on yearly, while the anime shows an episode every week, rain or shine. Their choices are animate 3/4 of a chapter every week or go seasonal and since people are gonna tune in every week regardless they aren't going to go seasonal and lose a juicy timeslot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Raposa posted:

Oda takes a break every 4 weeks, plus the 3 or 4 breaks shonen jump goes on yearly, while the anime shows an episode every week, rain or shine. Their choices are animate 3/4 of a chapter every week or go seasonal and since people are gonna tune in every week regardless they aren't going to go seasonal and lose a juicy timeslot.

They should just make a fun filler episode 4 times a year.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At least filler arcs can be skipped.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Right, filler arcs at least present the option to skip if the filler is bad while still enjoying the main story content. One piece say screw that and ruined the original story too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/heroaca_movie/status/983434381149663232

More movie stuff. The movie characters are Melissa Shield and her father David Shield. David designs support equipment and is responsible for All Might's hero outfit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wonder if filler will still be a thing if all anime goes streaming over the next two decades or so.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Raposa posted:

Which is idiotic. It's only the most hilariously popular manga of all loving time, I'm sure if they went seasonal every station from here to the end of time would be falling over themselves to give them a primo time slot when they said "Hey we're ready with the next One Piece season".

I mean we can't even hope for a One Piece Kai or something because at the rate One Piece is going we'll all be dead before that happens.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wonder if filler will still be a thing if all anime goes streaming over the next two decades or so.

Beyond One Piece actually continuing in two decades (which is likely, but let's ignore that for a moment), it's very unlikely. Filler comes from anime airing continuously while its source material is going on as well, requiring something to fill up the time until the manga comes out. The reason why anime does this is to keep useful timeslots.

If TV finally died and everything moved to the internet, then the concept of timeslots would disappear completely as we'd move to an on-demand style of service where you can get anything at any time. As such, the need of filler would completely disappear, and every series that adapts an ongoing manga or light novel would take a seasonal format like My Hero Academia has. The only "filler" that'd remain is simply padding to hit the slightly less than 30 minutes of any episode, and that can genuinely be beneficial to a series, adding to the pacing and showing stuff the manga did not, as well as maybe random but extremely few anime-exclusive episodes that wouldn't affect much in the grand scale of things. And maybe recaps if they end up releasing slower than wanted, but that, hopefully, would disappear too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If things moved to that format, they could just do Netflix-style recaps people could watch whenever a new season happened or something to catch people up, no need for recap episodes since everything's right there and they don't need space-filler episodes anymore. Would also result in things being less rushed hopefully, due to the move away from the brutal schedule most anime is made on nowadays. (Another thing that'd mean there's no need for recap episodes.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Never thought I would see a show where the protagonist sleds on explosions.

This show really is great.

The basic shonen template is a hero too drat stupid to know how dangerous what he's doing is.

Deku is not stupid.

Which makes it even better when he does it anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The basic shonen template is a hero too drat stupid to know how dangerous what he's doing is.

Deku is not stupid.

Which makes it even better when he does it anyway.

I didn't take this into account until now.

Every other Shonen protagonist is either stupid (Goku, Luffy) or a hothead (Urumashi). These traits are likely common as it gives an excuse for the protagonists to "go on an adventure" and be reckless. But Deku is not like that at all. He's very smart. He's driven due to his belief to be brave and do the right thing, and most of all self-improvement.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Deku is still incredibly reckless though. But the cool part is that they actually address it in the story. It's not like in One Piece where Luffy can beat the poo poo out of a poison man and only suffer minor consequences.
Deku's hands are still hosed up. Which is a neat detail. I also like how Ida still has a scar from his fight with Stain.

It's details like those that really drive the point home that, in this series, actions have consequences, and that requires a different set of protagonists than you're typical shonen

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tangentially related to thread topic :v

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Beyond One Piece actually continuing in two decades (which is likely, but let's ignore that for a moment), it's very unlikely. Filler comes from anime airing continuously while its source material is going on as well, requiring something to fill up the time until the manga comes out. The reason why anime does this is to keep useful timeslots.

Black Clover showed otherwise as early as episode 2.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Futaba Anzu posted:

I remember when the anime was still young and tons of people talked about how they'd love mha filler

I never remember Ikkyu-San having filler episodes.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, we've been over that for the last two pages, but you sure added a whole lot to the conversation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chill out, thanks.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Who on earth would not be down for a year or so of Coast Guard Frog?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
with good writing sure

it was a weak episode

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This episode wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I appreciated the swerve of the girls' swimsuits being much more conservative.

A wholly inoffensive but still quite skippable episode.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
subs or dubs? looking to watch something isn't just jojo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Agoat posted:

subs or dubs? looking to watch something isn't just jojo
If you're starting from the beginning and not likely to binge the dub is quite good, if with a couple of quirks, YOUNG MIDORIYA

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Nessus posted:

If you're starting from the beginning and not likely to binge the dub is quite good, if with a couple of quirks, YOUNG MIDORIYA

Heh.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Dub is really good, but I did have some issues with the sound mixing especially during the tournament arc. Sometimes it's pretty hard to hear people speaking. Especially during action moments. But you can always activate subtitles.

Also I can't get used to Froppy's voice. It's not bad but not what I expected at all. (not saying it's bad though)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Dub is worth it for Chris Sabat All Might. The line writing/translation is on-point too. I really like almost all of the casting they did, there are a lot more hits than misses, and Deku's actor in particular is pretty drat good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou got a good VA too.

Chris Sabat really knocks a lot of lines or of the park. His version of the S1 climax is fantastic.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Iida is Genos so no way I'm siding against the Japanese VA on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find that a lot of the comedic moments don't work as well in the dub.