Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Problem description: After 13 months of using a Sapphire RX-480 GPU, it will no longer post to BIOS. I was writing a grad assignment and playing Pillars of Eternity, when the machine suddenly powered off. Powering on the machine won't let me get into BIOS anymore. Replacing the RX-480 with my old GTX-560 in the interim allows me to enter BIOS, windows, etc...

I don't do any bitcoin mining, and for all intents and purposes I usually game at 1680x1050 on medium setting with the RX-480 as I don't like it when it gets loud. Barely any dust to speak of in the case / fans / etc as it's above the floor in a dust-free room. Computer is plugged into a GFI strip + whole house GFI (just in case).

Attempted fixes: There were some old documented issues from other users in the past about having to update one's motherboard's bios to be able to use a EFI boot; however none of this was done 13 months ago when the cards were first installed - BIOS was updated about 4 months ago. Regardless, I've tried toggling "legacy rom boot" as a solution in google, trying a different power rail of my GPU, trying the card in the other PCIE slot, trying the card without the PCI-e 8 pin power rail, and even toggling the 'v-bios' switch on the card (although the documentation states it's only an overclocking toggle, not a legacy/uefi toggle)...

Recent changes: No recent changes spanning 2 months (bought a new mouse 2 months ago). The sister system (exact same specs / card, etc... owned by my cousin 500 km away) is running fine. The RX-480 ran fine when we first installed them 13 months ago (and running on a 2011 bios).

Other info The sister machine with the same specs is still running fine, albeit at a MUCH heavier load (my cousin downloads a lot/ keeps the machine on all the time, has more HDD's, does mining, torrent... plus it is much dustier, stickier, and we usually end up using his garage compressor to clean his machine. On the other hand, every day I'll turn off my machine at the power bar itself after it completes a shutdown. Could this cause wear+tear on some of the capacitors?

One last thing... When the machine did suddenly shut down, my "MemOK" button was flashing upon reboot. I cleared the CMOS thinking perhaps the memory died. I Reseated the ram, replaced the RX-480 with the GTX-560, and everything booted up ok.

--

Operating system: Windows 7, 64 bit, legacy bios mode (same as sister machine)

System specs: (Sister machine is same, barring more HDD's)
Motherboard => ASUS P8P67 Rev. 3.1, (2011).
RAM => Kingston HyperX ram (2x4bg chips) @1600 mhz. (2011)
CPU => Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3ghz (2011)

SDD => Crucial M4 128 gb (2011)
HDD => ST3000DM001 (3tb Hdd) (2016)

PSU => Antec Basiq 550w (2011)
MONITOR => LG w2252TG

Keyboard => PS/2
Mouse => G403

BIOS Version => 3602

--

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, and posted on the GPU thread; they recommended I visit here.

Much appreciated - I wish I could test this card in another system, but all my older systems predate 2011. If this card needs to be RMA'ed - would I contact Sapphire directly, or go through newegg.ca?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Most likely the PSU is failing due to its age and doesn't have enough power to run the new card any longer. It's also possible that the new GPU died. In this situation I'd try a newer quality PSU from the list in this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

Guigui posted:

...every day I'll turn off my machine at the power bar itself after it completes a shutdown. Could this cause wear+tear on some of the capacitors?

Turning a computer on/off daily can shorten the lifespan of some components.

Guigui posted:

Much appreciated - I wish I could test this card in another system, but all my older systems predate 2011. If this card needs to be RMA'ed - would I contact Sapphire directly, or go through newegg.ca?

I'd try newegg if a new PSU doesn't help.

• Locked thread