Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I order poo poo on amazon, but only if it's fullfilled by amazon and is prime and poo poo.

No real issues, but I also buy books in actual physical stores, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Google average salary for fedex driver and average salary for ups driver. It's drat near double for the ups driver.

I wonder if being in a union has something to do with this drastic discrepancy

:shrug:

edit: so yea ups pays more but they arent pulling in 100K lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why would anyone buy video games much less before reviews are out morons

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the cancel subscription button position change is the least worrisome problem i can think of right now

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

Why would anyone buy video games

Because we aren't all law-breaking pirate scum.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Support the devs, reeeee

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I dint buy or play video games they are fot dickdongs

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Pick posted:

Have you never ridden the HYPE TRAIN pick? It's sometimes more fun than the game itself!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

the cancel subscription button position change is the least worrisome problem i can think of right now

Have you ever seen people back into parking spaces?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

Have you never ridden the HYPE TRAIN pick? It's sometimes more fun than the game itself!

I do not hype unless it’s for a new Edmund Morris drop

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pawn 17 posted:

Ah I see someone pre-ordered no man's sky

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

big trivia FAIL posted:

:shrug:

edit: so yea ups pays more but they arent pulling in 100K lol

eh I was bullshitting with my driver back when I worked for USPS a bunch of years ago and he asked me how much I was making, and he told me with overtime he makes 100k. Anecdotal but I don't think he was trying to impress me or anything.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Hell Yeah posted:

they raised fees on third party sellers, third party sellers sell 95% of the used books on amazon.
I guess that explains it but what a pisspoor business model.

I'm not buying a used book that's only a couple bucks cheaper than brand new but I'm also not going to pay full price instead.

There are a lot of other cheap used book websites.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rad Russian posted:

1. Have PRIME for fast free shipping
2. Use camelcamelcamel to actually know if you're getting a good deal or not. Don't buy poo poo at its peak price.
3. Put all purchases on PRIME card for automatic 5% off everything
4. Do not buy any random food / grocery store items on Amazon unless they're classified under PRIME PANTRY, so order the full box of poo poo once you need them. This way they're actually cheap.
5. Never buy clothes - always get those direct from your favorite designer/shop.

You people just don't know how to Amazon.

In conclusion: Just become a good Amazon Citizen so you can benefit from Father Bezos’ blessings

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

Have you ever seen people back into parking spaces?
surely people dont actually do such a thing

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
As someone who is very concerned about a-Supreme-Overlord-Capitalist-Corporation, I instead opt for eBay, and Craigslist list when I can.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

there is weird book speculation/scamming going on with amazon right now

every time i publish something, some group of yahoos tries selling my paperbacks for like a 50% markup

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

In conclusion: Just become a good Amazon Citizen so you can benefit from Father Bezos’ blessings
remember: prime guarantees citizenship
would you like to know more?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Bug Child posted:

the chinese have totally colonized clothes on amazon. i was trying to buy a belt the other day and couldn't find anything that wasn't from a brand named something like "Tonly Monders" (they have a site and they left the lorem ipsum text on it: http://www.tonlymonders.com/)

lol

also the company name "Tonly Monders" oddly seems to be designed as some sort of shibboleth that no primarily-Chinese-speaking person could pronounce properly

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Pick posted:

I dint buy or play video games they are fot dickdongs

What happened to your Dragon Age love affair.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dragon age 2 is wonderful but I’ve played it so many times I can just view it in my head. I know most of the dialogue by heart

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like most of the dialogue in the entire game

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Who doesn't want to be dominated by an Amazon?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pick posted:

Dragon age 2 is wonderful but I’ve played it so many times I can just view it in my head. I know most of the dialogue by heart

The true sign of a sick person

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Lacey posted:

I guess that explains it but what a pisspoor business model.

I'm not buying a used book that's only a couple bucks cheaper than brand new but I'm also not going to pay full price instead.

There are a lot of other cheap used book websites.

yeah unfortunately if a book actually sells a lot people will buy it for 25 cents less than a new copy which incentivizes this business model. if a book is less than $10 on amazon used, a used bookseller usually won't even look at it. small third party booksellers would prefer to be able to sell their books for cheaper and keep customers happy, but unfortunately if you sell a book via prime for less than $7 you will make negative money as a third party seller.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

eh I was bullshitting with my driver back when I worked for USPS a bunch of years ago and he asked me how much I was making, and he told me with overtime he makes 100k. Anecdotal but I don't think he was trying to impress me or anything.

postmen that have been with the USPS for a long-rear end time can make good money but for new ones the routes and hours are much more variable so you have to work there for a few years before you can even start getting 40 hours a week

the post office got buttfucked by congress so they've got all sorts of insane hiring laws and financial obligations they have to meet now

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

speaking of ux dark patterns, amazon must be hiding "subscribe to audible" buttons everywhere and I must always be fat fingering them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I gotta say is Amazon's return policy is amazing. I had Wal-mart give me a ton of poo poo and flat out refuse to let me return a brand new, sealed Nintendo 3DS because it was 15 days; 1 day after the return window (I thought it was 30 days). Amazon let me return an Asus router 6 months after I bought it because it broke and Asus were being cocks about replacing it.

I fully expect 3 day return policies from Amazon when competitors no longer exist, though.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

What kind of hosed up brain develops an obsessive complex about Dragon Age 2 of all things

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

didn't pick start the ali baba thread too?

is pick a SHILL?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Amazon should be nationalized for the greater good and their board of directors and Bezos should probably be burned alive in one of those wicker man thingys

I'm giving it a couple of years before they start being really lovely after the "drive our competitors out of business" phase is over and then I say we enact the above plan

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
will the same people trying to make this thread about pick on page 3 be there on page 4 so they can groan "oh god another thread about pick"

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Nerses IV posted:

What kind of hosed up brain develops an obsessive complex about Dragon Age 2 of all things

2 was substantially inferior to the first one.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

remigious posted:

Amazon completely fucks small presses too. Books that are made to order should never be listed as out of stock, but they commonly are! My husband is an author and we had to start our own drat website to sell poo poo.

maybe your husband should get published and not print his own books. with all due respect

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Nerses IV posted:

dragon age seriously blows chunks in every way

sorry if that upsets you pick but im sure its nothing you havent heard before

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 21, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tax dollars feed amazon workers lol

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

One thing I gotta say is Amazon's return policy is amazing. I had Wal-mart give me a ton of poo poo and flat out refuse to let me return a brand new, sealed Nintendo 3DS because it was 15 days; 1 day after the return window (I thought it was 30 days). Amazon let me return an Asus router 6 months after I bought it because it broke and Asus were being cocks about replacing it.

I fully expect 3 day return policies from Amazon when competitors no longer exist, though.

one time i bought an regular air conditioner from Wal-Mart and then a few months later i moved to a different apartment and they didn't allow in-window ac units (they didn't want them falling out into the parking lot they didn't own i guess) so i decided I was going to try to return the current air conditioner and trade it for one of those stand-up ones that attaches with a big hose

so i get to wal-mart and they're like "nope, it's been too long you can't return it" and inside my head i'm like 'gently caress. you need to make up a good lie you gotta win this battle and accomplish your drat goals dude' so i get a brilliant idea:

"Oh, this is broken. It shorts out my entire room. It broke one of my good lightbulbs." and the manager is like, not quite having it but he doesn't quite know how to call me a liar. So I double-down "Yea it only started recently but when I turn the air conditioner on everything in my room shuts off and i have to go flip the breaker. I don't know if the lightbulb was related but i mean, i can't really say it wasn't"

the managers like ".... well I guess we can swap it out" but now I'm on top of my game. "No. I don't want the same one, if this one is shorting my room out then I want to trade it for something different, I'll pay the difference but I'm not going to take the same model. And I think it broke my lightbulb." So the manager knows he's met his match and tells me to go get a different one and they'll process my return. When I get back to the service desk I heard another worker whispering to the manager "he's just swapping his air conditioner for a better one after the return date expired", but the manager knew he'd met his match and told them to let me do my thing.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdYbpFg6yfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
edit - oops double post sorry

• Locked thread