Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My arguement is without memorable mechanics you're diluting the interactions the draft format will have and just turing it into a core set.

Also again frankly one of the reasons the set is so lovely is because they cut out cards that were good, cool and memorable by saying "No it's got X mechanic." Which was a bad move.

No one is buying the set for constructed play unless they REALLY want to gamble on certain chase rares. Who gives a toss about the commons and uncommons beyond the cool looking box? Urbis Protector with the new frame and Gatecrash watermark, but who is playing Urbis Protector outside of maybe EDH? Does anyone look at Urbis Protector and go "Hey that guy was Gatecrash!" What about Knight of Obligation instead? A 2/4 Vigilance for 4 with Extort. Anyone who remembers Gatecrash will go "OH MAN EXTORT" so its evocative. It also was one of the greatest limited mechanics of all time, and by giving say 2 or 3 slots to extort creatures in Black and White we can potentially edge the life gain sub theme for White and maybe the value sub theme for black with maybe weeines? See all things we can do with mechanics that help people evoke thoughts of a set and help set up a better limited format than "White and Blue flies :downs:"

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shadow225 posted:

Unrelated to that, the more I think about it, the more I agree with the enemy filterlands. This is the first reprint that they have had, and they probably saw quite a bit of play, even in eternal, before being obsoleted by better lands.

I can get behind this, though I'd also suggest the Worldwake Allied manlands, which desperately need a reprint and have pretty good value.

Gridlocked posted:

My arguement is without memorable mechanics you're diluting the interactions the draft format will have and just turing it into a core set.

Also again frankly one of the reasons the set is so lovely is because they cut out cards that were good, cool and memorable by saying "No it's got X mechanic." Which was a bad move.

No one is buying the set for constructed play unless they REALLY want to gamble on certain chase rares. Who gives a toss about the commons and uncommons beyond the cool looking box? Urbis Protector with the new frame and Gatecrash watermark, but who is playing Urbis Protector outside of maybe EDH? Does anyone look at Urbis Protector and go "Hey that guy was Gatecrash!" What about Knight of Obligation instead? A 2/4 Vigilance for 4 with Extort. Anyone who remembers Gatecrash will go "OH MAN EXTORT" so its evocative. It also was one of the greatest limited mechanics of all time, and by giving say 2 or 3 slots to extort creatures in Black and White we can potentially edge the life gain sub theme for White and maybe the value sub theme for black with maybe weeines? See all things we can do with mechanics that help people evoke thoughts of a set and help set up a better limited format than "White and Blue flies :downs:"

There are mechanics we can build around without using specific keywords, such as white and blue having a blink theme with creatures who have etb effects.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I can get behind this, though I'd also suggest the Worldwake Allied manlands, which desperately need a reprint and have pretty good value.

There are mechanics we can build around without using specific keywords, such as white and blue having a blink theme with creatures who have etb effects.

Also, while it might be cool to run two or three extort creatures, that's a giant investment, because That's two or three slots for RTR, and we're looking for at least 1 card per set. More importantly, there are 'memorable mechanics': The interaction between the evergreen mechanics we have. This is a snapshot of Magic as a whole over a 25 year period. Picking a card because it's a memorable part of a set alone won't matter if the mechanic behind it requires a critical mass.

A25 is basically a Chaos Draft, and one of the first guidelines in picking packs for a chaos draft is picking packs not because they're memorable, but because they play well with packs they weren't designed to play with. Blocks that have overly parasitic mechanics simply won't have enough playable cards to create a satisfactory drafting experience.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheChirurgeon posted:

Torchlighter posted:

Also, while it might be cool to run two or three extort creatures, that's a giant investment, because That's two or three slots for RTR, and we're looking for at least 1 card per set. More importantly, there are 'memorable mechanics': The interaction between the evergreen mechanics we have. This is a snapshot of Magic as a whole over a 25 year period. Picking a card because it's a memorable part of a set alone won't matter if the mechanic behind it requires a critical mass.

A25 is basically a Chaos Draft, and one of the first guidelines in picking packs for a chaos draft is picking packs not because they're memorable, but because they play well with packs they weren't designed to play with. Blocks that have overly parasitic mechanics simply won't have enough playable cards to create a satisfactory drafting experience.

I'm not saying we jam every Extort card in I'm saying that as an example we could have a small number of Extort cards that will evoke the memories of Gatecrash while making them a component of a larger theme, say life gain matters, between white and/or black.

That being said I can see the difference in our design philosophy here. You see a Chaos Draft and I see a Cube. What it IS is a Chaos draft, what it should have been is a Cube.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Fine with those as well, even though it's probably only Colonnade that needs the help.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm not saying we jam every Extort card in I'm saying that as an example we could have a small number of Extort cards that will evoke the memories of Gatecrash while making them a component of a larger theme, say life gain matters, between white and/or black.

That being said I can see the difference in our design philosophy here. You see a Chaos Draft and I see a Cube. What it IS is a Chaos draft, what it should have been is a Cube.

In a sense, I agree with you. These restrictions do knock out most of the memorable cards. However, a cube has a different set of restraints on it. You don't have to worry about fun things like rarity, so you can roll very powerful cards en masse without consequence. You can also skip many sets in Magic without consequence and just grab the creme de la crop. Cube also caters to well established players who can (hopefully) make sense of the interactions between all of the mechanics.

To your point, I am looking over the Vintage Cube list from December, and most of the cards are generically powerful, but a few one off mechanics are present. Maybe that isn't breaking anything, but you also have enablers for everything...mostly at rare. If you want to play an Eldrazi, you can play mana dork ramp, Sneak Attack, and Show and Tell. Those strategies also have synergy with say, Griselbrand and Razaketh, which also open up Entomb and Unburial Rites. That thought pattern alone is looking at about 3 commons, 1 uncommon, and like 7 rares. You could play Fatal Push, but it's helped a lot by the presence of all 10 fetches, which grab all 20 OG duals and shocklands. We are only able to grab 5 fetches max because we can't take 10 rare slots with lands when we have to take cards from weaker sets that are probably rare. We would also then have to facilitate Revolt elsewhere without the benefit of Treasure tokens.

tl;dr Cube is a completely different set of rules, although probably more fun.

As for cards, I can't currently check the sheet, but if we need a Stronghold card, Fling (c) comes to mind. Along the same lines, Threaten (ONS) (u) comes to mind.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I've looked over stronghold cards, and fling is a possibility. Other possibilities include Wall of Blossoms and tortured existance. Fling, I think, works better than shock, which obviously stacks up poorly next to Lightning bolt. It's one of the reasons I didn't nominate Lightning strike for theros.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ravnica won't be hurting for iconic cards to include, though. On the other hand, if you wanted to make a case for Memory lapse, I'd be willing to hear it, since Homelands has maybe 3 cards that anyone would ever include

Homelands is a hard one because the set is just so bad. There's some "cool" cards in there that would just be 14th picks every time if you put them in.

The actual most iconic cards are Autumn Willow and Baron Sengir, but the Baron is unplayable and I think they're both on the reserve list.

Memory Lapse definitely makes the short list. (Ok, let's be honest, with Homelands there was never a long list)
Other ideas:
Serrated Arrows, Merchant Scroll, Eron the Relentless, Broken Visage.

Broken Visage is a cool one, and actually a pretty good card. Two-for-one removal! That's playable in limited at 5 mana! But I can see the argument against it being that you're going to want to fill the common / uncommon removal slots with way more iconic cards.

I don't really like Ihsan's Shade in the set. It's basically a sideboard card and the only really cool thing about it in the first place was the art and flavour, which they mostly ditched anyway.

I honestly think Memory Lapse is the best pick for Homelands.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The big problem with Serrated Arrows is that you can't put both -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters in the same set, so that excludes a bunch of cards for its sake. If it ends up working out well anyway that would be cool though.

That does leave Lapse as the clear cut winner though, yeah, unless you wanna keep the Shade. Merchant Scroll feels too narrow and Eron is excluded because of regenerate.

Actually scratch that, it's apparently in. He still doesn't strike me as a good pick though because he's a red bomb competing with dozens of other red bombs which are waaaaaay more iconic than him.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 24, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
^^^

:colbert:

Another tricky set is Fallen Empires. It has the same basic problem as Homelands, namely being godawful. There's actually a few pretty iconic cards from it though:

Goblin Grenade
Hymn to Tourach
High Tide
Thallid
Order of Lightbur
Order of the Ebon Hand
Goblin War Drums

War Drums was a decent choice. The first Menace card!

A bunch of the others have issues:

Goblin Grenade is great, if you have a Goblin Tribal thing going on at all, like they did in the original Modern Masters. Difficult to pull off the restrictions for this set though, so GG is probably out.

Cheap random discard is miserable for limited, so Hymn is out, which is a shame because it's undoubtedly the most famous card from the set.

High Tide is a niche constructed combo card, no one wants it in Limited.

Thallid has the same problem as Goblin Grenade. If you have a fungus thing going on, sure, but you're not going to in this set, and it's really bad if there's no way to increase your saproling production rate. Thallids are only good when you have a bunch of them that boost each other.

I think the only other real contenders are the Orders, which really want to be printed as a pair.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

The Shortest Path posted:

The big problem with Serrated Arrows is that you can't put both -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters in the same set, so that excludes a bunch of cards for its sake. If it ends up working out well anyway that would be cool though.

That does leave Lapse as the clear cut winner though, yeah, unless you wanna keep the Shade. Merchant Scroll feels too narrow and Eron is excluded because of regenerate.

Regenerate is actually fine to include, considering it was evergreen like protection until thy changed it. So we can include cards with regenerate But including Memory lapse means we can put Counterspell in the uncommon slot and have our vertical cycle of Memory Lapse/Counterspell/Cryptic Command/Force of Will.

But if we're going to have counterspells readily available, we might want to look into some creatures that can blank that as removal.

The three i'd think about would be:
-Loxodon Smiter, a big rare from Return that can't be countered, and blanks discard as well. Could be interesting in a format with Hymn.
-Thrun, the last Troll, which is a muuuuuch better green mythic than Tree of Perdition. a big 4/4 regenerating beatstick.
-Prowling Serpopard from Amonkhet, which got a lot of hype early, but never say play in the degenerate Aetherworks/Emrakul world,and didn't have a good counter spell to blank in the energy world.

EDIT:Interesting fact, we have 4 rares and 4 mythic slots left. Obviously there's gonna be rarity shifting etc. But there you go. Also i keep thinking that Goblin Electromancer is an uncommon, because it's far too good a card to be common.But it is.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 24, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Entropic posted:

^^^

:colbert:

Another tricky set is Fallen Empires. It has the same basic problem as Homelands, namely being godawful. There's actually a few pretty iconic cards from it though:

Goblin Grenade
Hymn to Tourach
High Tide
Thallid
Order of Lightbur
Order of the Ebon Hand
Goblin War Drums

War Drums was a decent choice. The first Menace card!

A bunch of the others have issues:

Goblin Grenade is great, if you have a Goblin Tribal thing going on at all, like they did in the original Modern Masters. Difficult to pull off the restrictions for this set though, so GG is probably out.

Cheap random discard is miserable for limited, so Hymn is out, which is a shame because it's undoubtedly the most famous card from the set.

High Tide is a niche constructed combo card, no one wants it in Limited.

Thallid has the same problem as Goblin Grenade. If you have a fungus thing going on, sure, but you're not going to in this set, and it's really bad if there's no way to increase your saproling production rate. Thallids are only good when you have a bunch of them that boost each other.

I think the only other real contenders are the Orders, which really want to be printed as a pair.

Icatian Javelineers is a pretty rad limited common from FE.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Fallen Empires and Homelands are both better and easier to pull cards from than The Dark. Go look at that set. There are maybe 4 ok non-reserved list cards in the whole set.

Also I'm fine with including Ihsan's shade from homelands. He's a cool dude

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ihsan’s Shade was pretty baller in the day because he is essentially immune to the trifecta of premium old-school removal in Swords, Terror, and Bolt.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheChirurgeon posted:

Fallen Empires and Homelands are both better and easier to pull cards from than The Dark. Go look at that set. There are maybe 4 ok non-reserved list cards in the whole set.

Maze of Ith isn't on the reserve list!

Comedy option: Uncle Istvan.

Or there's Elves of the Deep Shadow or Ball Lightning.

So, yeah, like 4 or 5 good cards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Uh... Blood Moon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I mean I figure the ones they actually used go without saying.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

To me Ixidor seems like a very obvious inclusion to the set if it's going to have Morph; I don't really understand why he isn't in the real thing at uncommon in that Polymorphist legend's place.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh god I just started listening to the LR episode on M25 and they're reading the WotC pitch for the set. How wrong WotC were.

Also Marshall also calls it cube like. But also chaos draft like. But LSV said cube.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Shortest Path posted:

I feel like including the original Lords (Goblin King, Lord of Atlantis, Elvish Champion, Lord of the Undead, plus Field Marshal from Coldsnap) would be a really good idea to be honest. Maybe be bold and throw them in at uncommon, even!

Those core tribes span the entirety of the 25 years of magic and are super iconic, plus a lot of the good common/uncommon filler creatures we'd want to put in the set fall into them anyways, with the possible exception of zombies.

This is my own personal banner, but when it comes to tribes, how about Birds? Birds are a fun limited tribe that includes a nice mixture of Soldiers and Wizards - two very iconic creature types - as well as a few others like Clerics and Shaman (not to mention plenty of actual birds)!

They don't have much in the way of direct payoff (unless you want to put Soulcatcher's Aerie in the set), but they play nicely into Soldier & Wizard tribal while also feeding into a U/W Fliers archetype.

also it lets you print storm crow as a filler common

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 26, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Wow apperently LSV and and Marshall like this set.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Was busy over the weekend. I will make an effort to update the spreadsheet with all of the suggested cards at some point in the next few days in order to see what sets we need to brainstorm (GETIT???) over. I think that we have made a lot of progress, just sort of scattered.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shadow225 posted:

Was busy over the weekend. I will make an effort to update the spreadsheet with all of the suggested cards at some point in the next few days in order to see what sets we need to brainstorm (GETIT???) over. I think that we have made a lot of progress, just sort of scattered.

Well, the spreadsheets missing around 36 commons, a few mythics and rares, and 26 uncommons. Although it would probably behoove us to write up a collection of A25 to see where our substitutions are going to be made. After all, a number of A25 cards are still part of the set.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, I will fix the formulas later, but I have included pretty much everything mentioned in the thread that hasn't already been shot down. If I missed something, add it.

Here are the sets that we do not currently have a card for without stealing the A25 representative (which is fine):

Urza's Destiny
Darksteel
Saviors of Kamigawa
Future Sight
Morningtide
Kaladesh
Hour of Devstation
Ixalan
Commander 2015

There are a few that we could probably bolster, but let's start by filling everything first.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Okay, so I took the time to transcribe every card in the original A25, and a number of things stood out to me.

1. They were a lot closer than most people thought

A25 is not a good draft set. But in terms of memorable cards, there's a surprising amount of overlap between the goon suggested cards and the actual cards printed in A25, especially the earlier sets. the more contentious cards that people say shouldn't be in the set are from later sets.

2. They leaned heavily on Onslaught

This makes a lot of sense, given that Onslaught had both cycling and Morph, But it also means that Amonkhet and Khans, who had cycling and Morph respectively, didn't really get their chance to shine. Khans suffered a lot by having to fill out the morph slots, leading to a lot of boring common morphs that didn't represent the strength of Khans. Amonkhet, meanwhile, had only 3 cards, only one of which actually cared about cycling.

3. Multicolour was weird. Also, a random cycle.

Multicolour cards were weirdly comprised of a number of older cards, many of which were not that great. (Quicksilver Dagger)? But there was also a cycle of cards from different sets that cared about the ally card combos.

Knight of the Skyward Eye, Court Hussar, Returned Phalanx, Skeletonize, and Ember Weaver all care about the colour next to them. Why they didn't go with the M12 cycle, I don't know (probably to avoid leaning too hard on a core set) but there you go.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
To address #1, I've noticed that there are a lot of cards we want to include in our Masters 25 that were in Iconic Masters, which further reinforces my belief that you could have easily made 1 great set out of the parts of both of those.

On 2, I think they just wanted to avoid printing too many cards from recent sets, since those were still widely available and much less likely to foster a sense of nostalgia.

I'll take a pass at the list tonight and add in more card suggestions. I was focusing primarily on commons/uncommons before.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

Okay, so I took the time to transcribe every card in the original A25, and a number of things stood out to me.

1. They were a lot closer than most people thought

A25 is not a good draft set. But in terms of memorable cards, there's a surprising amount of overlap between the goon suggested cards and the actual cards printed in A25, especially the earlier sets. the more contentious cards that people say shouldn't be in the set are from later sets.

2. They leaned heavily on Onslaught

This makes a lot of sense, given that Onslaught had both cycling and Morph, But it also means that Amonkhet and Khans, who had cycling and Morph respectively, didn't really get their chance to shine. Khans suffered a lot by having to fill out the morph slots, leading to a lot of boring common morphs that didn't represent the strength of Khans. Amonkhet, meanwhile, had only 3 cards, only one of which actually cared about cycling.

3. Multicolour was weird. Also, a random cycle.

Multicolour cards were weirdly comprised of a number of older cards, many of which were not that great. (Quicksilver Dagger)? But there was also a cycle of cards from different sets that cared about the ally card combos.

Knight of the Skyward Eye, Court Hussar, Returned Phalanx, Skeletonize, and Ember Weaver all care about the colour next to them. Why they didn't go with the M12 cycle, I don't know (probably to avoid leaning too hard on a core set) but there you go.

You are a saint for adding the original set in the left most column. Definitely makes things more clear.

I also agree with a lot of your points. Within the restrictions that they were working, Wizards did better than we initially gave them credit for. If they didn't skimp for value in the set, I think the response would have maybe been fine?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Skullclamp's not a Mirrodin card guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There's a *ton* more work to do here if we're being serious. We've got 254/249 cards right now, and that realistically needs to be more like 300+ that we trim down to 249. We're off-balance on our colors, have too many multicolor cards, have too many rares and not enough commons, and haven't really nailed down any draft archetypes yet.

• Locked thread