Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Like - twelve-bar blues. That's twelve things that each contain four measures?

I've played guitar for decades, I've released CDs that sold so many copies they went plastic, I've toured the world from Atlanta to Marietta, and I'll be damned if I remember which is which.

SURE SURE, I could google it... but you smart musicians and your knowledge - lay it on me. What the hell and why am I so musically illiterate.

I MEAN EVEN WIKIFUCKINGPEDIA SAYS THIS:

wikifuckingpedia posted:

In American English, although the words bar and measure are often used interchangeably, the correct use of the word 'bar' refers only to the vertical line itself, while the word 'measure' refers to the beats contained between bars.

And hell the more I read that article, the less I know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(music)

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

what's the difference between an alpha particle and a helium atom?

literally nothing but context

if 1 foot is a bar, 12 inches or 30.48 cm or 0.06 rods is one measure

a bar is a bar -- a measure could be any number of beats due to time signature fuckery but ultimately it'll still be bounded by bars

is this a trap?

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

They're the same. The definition wikipedia is giving you is what I and any musician I've ever played or studied with would call a barline.

Edit: and a 12-bar blues is a blues with 12 bars, or measures. Again, same thing.

The Letter A fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 29, 2018

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Letter A posted:

They're the same. The definition wikipedia is giving you is what I and any musician I've ever played or studied with would call a barline.

Edit: and a 12-bar blues is a blues with 12 bars, or measures. Again, same thing.

Excellent summary thanks.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
The rich bar a measure while the poor measure a bar.

• Locked thread