Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandman
Mar 17, 2008
So I’ve finally had an AC issue in my 2000 4Runner that has about 330k miles on it. I drove through a field that had a bunch of plants with some kind of dandelion-type fuzz and it clogged my radiator. I pressure washed it off, but I think I may have nicked my condenser in the process, because my AC started to get worse yesterday and was totally gone today. I shot a can of R134 in and it started cooling again, so the system itself is healthy.

Can I get away with replacing the condenser and drier myself and having a shop vac the system and fill it? Or should I suck it up and get a set of gauges and a vacuum pump? Also, will I have to figure out the oil thing if I don’t see any leaked out? Should I just measure how much was in the condenser and add that much back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Update on my 4Runner ac problem:

Well, the problem wasn’t my condenser. The bolts that hold up the drier worked their way loose, so it dropped down and the liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator was resting on the core support and it wore a hole in the line. It’s an $8 part, so I’m gonna get a new line, new drier, and some o-rings, shove some refrigerant in the son of a bitch and call it good.

• Locked thread