Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

berth ell pup posted:

I'm going to finally get off my rear end and fix the a/c in my 1991 Volvo 240. It was non-functional when I bought it for $500 a couple years ago and now it's time to play with it. I have jumpered the low-pressure switch and gotten the compressor to run briefly. It sounded fine but I didn't want to overwork it if there was no refrigerant and/or lubricant in it.

I have ordered a set of new o-rings, a new accumulator, an orifice tube, new schrader valve cores. My current plan is to replace all the a/c o-rings I can easily access and then get it vacuumed down and put in r152. I have a local mechanic who is amenable to working on this with me wrt the the vacuuming and charging.

I took off a large hose that goes from the compressor to the accumulator to see if it was full of the "black death" crap. There wasn't any hiss when I removed the hose but there was a bit of dark, oily residue at the bottom of the fitting. I assume this is compressor oil and is okay?

So I want to replace all the o-rings I can easily get to and then when I get it to his shop, put in the new accumulator and then vacuum it down, right? Is this a terrible plan/should I be looking at something else first? Anything I'm missing?

The car was built with R12 and is a GM/Harrison Division system produced by GM if it matters.

IOC I think Ritchie Yellow Jackets are the standard in gauges. When I worked in restaurants all the refrigeration guys used those for whatever that's worth.

Is that the big round GM “R4” style compressor? Those tend to be the source of the leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, changing out the schrader valve usually requires them to evacuate and then recharge the system, and that's primarily what they are charging you for. Still high, though, but in a land where AC is a lifesaving device, they can pretty much charge what they want. Part of the reason I learned to do it myself.

Changing a Schrader valve is a 2 minute job with the right tool that doesn’t require evac and fill.

Mastercool (81490) R134A Valve Core Remover Installer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KITSMI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0ImzBbC457A84

• Locked thread