Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
Yay for Kameron! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Finally she's gone.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Very excited for Kameron’s win! She was the best in the challenge and her runway was gorgeous.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Also she won on one of those parts that is written to be a nothing throwaway bit. Like, there's always bits that are written to win, and she didn't get one of them, and STILL killed it.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Whalley posted:

Aquaria was dressed like a Jojos Bizarre Adventure character off the runway.

King Of Fighters*

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 11, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

Also she won on one of those parts that is written to be a nothing throwaway bit. Like, there's always bits that are written to win, and she didn't get one of them, and STILL killed it.

Yeah! I was worried that it would be like Katya in All Stars 2 or Thorgy in All Stars 3, both assigned songs that were so much less showy than all of the others, Katya almost went home for it, and Thorgy did go home for it. I was worried it would be the same tonight.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

twistedbutterfly posted:

Yay for Kameron! :dance:

Yup. Happy for her.

Seymour Buttz posted:

King Of Fighters*

Benimaru is the original passable queen.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah! I was worried that it would be like Katya in All Stars 2 or Thorgy in All Stars 3, both assigned songs that were so much less showy than all of the others, Katya almost went home for it, and Thorgy did go home for it. I was worried it would be the same tonight.

Same.

Unfortunately this means the stupid season spoilers my wife read to me were right.

Loved Eureka's outfit but not her makeup btw.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I loved The Vixen’s runway tonight. Aquaria’s too.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Aquaria's runway lining up with the Met Gala so perfectly is kinda :stare:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That was a great episode. Asia's tender moment with vixen mad me cry. I see a lot of my younger self in vixen and I'm glad she went out with a bit of composure and didn't get messy in Untucked again. Asia showed a lot of maturity mentoring vixen like that.

Eureka's Cher look was great, but she was timid at first. Kamerons runway was amazing. I like the boy chest girl butt combo.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Eureka: How Every Episode Of Drag Race I Overcome A Personal Trauma Right Here On Camera

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I feel like the Vixen was set up to go out this episode and I'd had Eureka pegged to go in the bottom for that sub-mediocre performance. Eureka didn't feel finished or rehearsed, whereas Vixen felt all there except for the emotion, and I know sometimes you've got to reward expression over technical skill but I wasn't getting expressiveness from either queen, so it makes no sense to knock down the one who knew all the steps over the one who didn't. The runways were a wash though, everyone looked good tonight except Monet, and I thought Monet looked good until the judges pointed out the tapes, which I hadn't noticed. If it wasn't for those tapes, it would have been Monet with a bullet.

Also, kudos to finally clearing the licensing for Groove Is in the Heart. If it wasn't going to be a Cher song (not sure why they wouldn't go for the full effect), I'm glad it was a classic that both queens had obviously already embodied.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i know i rock hate goggles for Eureka but she looked like a god drat Eric Wareheim character in the rusical

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am so happy for my girls Kameron and Asia, aw yeah.

Also every week I love how dumb and awkward Aquaria is even more tbh.

Musical was mostly terrible but the whole episode was so ridiculous anyway, I loved it all.

e: i love monet to pieces but girl isn't america's next drag superstar ready, imo.

also when the season started I thought she'd be pretty bob but half the time she's even more of a mess on the runway than bob was lmao

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I thought vixens lip sync was perfect, really sad to see her go but Asia was also really good, would have really liked a double shantay for that but I’m glad she got an episode that was some nice feels and not all drama before she left

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love asia. i love her voice and i love her sass!

cracker really seems to have it in for aquaria; she's always throwin subtle shade and pickin on her for generally nothing much? meanwhile aquaria is lookin stun and ploughin her own furrow. she is showin more maturity every episode.

kameron is just great. monet is great. this cast has been really loving good right!?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think all of Vixen's lip syncs have been varying levels of messy tbh.

e: ^^ this cast has been great. i was sad to see vanjie go, meh on kalorie, sad as hell to see yuhua bomb, glad to see dusty go and i've been sad every week since. though this week I think Vixen had gone as far as she could. she fierce tho.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 11, 2018

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Untucked having the same expository text on screen week after week is getting on my nerves

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Untucked having the same expository text on screen week after week is getting on my nerves

also having talking heads in it too

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i like it having talking heads and i wish it had bonus clips again too, i miss those. without them we'd never know the glory of going to macy's

the text only annoys me b/c i wish it was ru's head with a bad moustache

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I always wonder if they got in trouble for showing queens smoking in untucked s7 bc we never saw it again unless that was literally the only season more than one person smoked on cast

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I always wonder if they got in trouble for showing queens smoking in untucked s7 bc we never saw it again unless that was literally the only season more than one person smoked on cast

didnt farrah and a bunch of others sneak off last time for smoko?

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

cracker really seems to have it in for aquaria; she's always throwin subtle shade and pickin on her for generally nothing much? meanwhile aquaria is lookin stun and ploughin her own furrow. she is showin more maturity every episode.

Yeah, that disappointed "oh" when Aquaria said she wasn't nervous after Ru's walkthrough wasn't a good look. Same with her whole thing in untucked about Aquaria being too confident or whatever. Cracker's kinda circling the drain at this point tho so I can see why she'd be insecure.

Asia's moment with The Vixen was definitely the highlight of the episode. Really glad we got that (sort of) resolution before The Vixen left. She seemed like she really took it to heart too.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

alf_pogs posted:

didnt farrah and a bunch of others sneak off last time for smoko?

I honestly can’t remember but I’m really sure we haven’t actually seen a queen smoke on camera since s7

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alvarez IV posted:

I feel like the Vixen was set up to go out this episode and I'd had Eureka pegged to go in the bottom for that sub-mediocre performance.

Vixen has a ton of energy for sure, but was it really a great lip sync? She pulls out the same tricks every time, running around stage at full speed, jumping up and down, doing lots of squats. They might be a whoa factor the first time, but as she did it time and time again, it became clear that was all she had.

Or maybe it was good. But this was her third time in the bottom 2. She didn't exactly blow Asia out of the water. Maybe Ru felt that it was just her time to go.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aquaria bending her head way back so she could see and then talking to an empty couch anyway was just so :v:

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
^ Aquaria throwing her head back and talking to an empty couch is def something I've seen my blind mother in law do lol.

Okay, so I laughed at EVIL TRIUMPS on the mirror.

I'm so happy for this week's winner :dance:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I honestly can’t remember but I’m really sure we haven’t actually seen a queen smoke on camera since s7

Hasn’t Eureka smoked on camera multiple episodes in a row at this point?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

We've definitely seen Eureka smoke this season in Untucked.

We had a few scenes in S9 of queens talking outside which definitely implies smoking if we didn't actually see it.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Vixen has a ton of energy for sure, but was it really a great lip sync? She pulls out the same tricks every time, running around stage at full speed, jumping up and down, doing lots of squats. They might be a whoa factor the first time, but as she did it time and time again, it became clear that was all she had.

Or maybe it was good. But this was her third time in the bottom 2. She didn't exactly blow Asia out of the water. Maybe Ru felt that it was just her time to go.

Yeah, to survive a third lip sync you have to utterly crush your competition. I thought both lip syncs were good, but Vixen's was not third time good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

alf_pogs posted:

i love asia. i love her voice and i love her sass!

Same, I looooved last week her talking head when Monique was twirling and Asia's like "..... SHE DON'T KNOW THE WORDS!"

esperterra posted:

also when the season started I thought she'd be pretty bob but half the time she's even more of a mess on the runway than bob was lmao

I agree with this sadly

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

With Monique and her wild energy gone, (RIP :’( ) Kameron, Eureka, and Aquaria are the only ones really bringing me that gently caress Yeah Get It Girl magic that I associate with deserving the crown. I adore Cracker and Asia but the energy just isn’t there. Which is totally OK, they’re both amazing queens and I really love Miz Cracker, but RPDR is a slog that you have to really bring it all the way through. The ability to keep bringing it even at the end is what really gets you the crown.

(Unless there’s an unexpected jury twist DONT JOKE ABOUT THAT)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Nihonniboku posted:

This, it really felt like a mercy killing. You're in the bottom three times in a row and only getting more bitter and combative each week, it was time for her to go and come back for an All Stars down the road.

Still rooting for Cracker as the Consistency Queen but at this point I feel like while she might be a lock for the finale, she isn't going to win. This was a week for her to turn it on and find a way to finally push those Highs into a win and it just hasn't happened for her. I think historically the winner has had to average at least 2 wins, and while Peppermint was the runner-up last year with only one, Cracker still has 0 going into week 8.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Farrah smoked last year. But season 8 we saw no smokers iirc. Maybe the ones there were just boring outside.

e: Vixen kept doing barrel rolls and air instruments in her lip syncs they were all hot messes except maybe the first one

but yeah unless you're juju or alyssa tier you're going home on your third lip sync

esperterra fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 11, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
My favorite thing about Asia besides her amazing shade, compassion and quick wit is that she's doesn't care about looking stupid. Which is why I'm confused about why she was so drat delusional about how well she did in the challenge because she seemed charmingly aware about how much she hosed up while doing her bit.

I'm so here for this season of drag mothering.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Asia's complaint about her part felt very similar to her complaint about her Pharmarusical group's part being worse. Yeah, poo poo isn't always fair but you still gotta turn it out.

I'm glad Eureka's story about fear of singing wasn't made into more than it was shown, as it could have easily felt like making excuses. She said it, then said she was going to have to overcome it and that was the end.

I think I understood what Cracker was saying to Aquaria, though she didn't quite articulate it. Being sort of mindlessly confident might be great, but it doesn't make you very relatable when trying to connect with your peers. Everyone is feeling the pressure so when you don't show any vulnerability it makes you seem thoughtless and unsympathetic. I could be wrong of course, but that was my impression.

Overall not a great challenge. While Cher has a signature voice and mannerisms, that doesn't mean everyone can do it well. Then again we're getting into top 5 range so they are turning up the difficulty level.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

graynull posted:

Asia's complaint about her part felt very similar to her complaint about her Pharmarusical group's part being worse. Yeah, poo poo isn't always fair but you still gotta turn it out.

I'm glad Eureka's story about fear of singing wasn't made into more than it was shown, as it could have easily felt like making excuses. She said it, then said she was going to have to overcome it and that was the end.

I think I understood what Cracker was saying to Aquaria, though she didn't quite articulate it. Being sort of mindlessly confident might be great, but it doesn't make you very relatable when trying to connect with your peers. Everyone is feeling the pressure so when you don't show any vulnerability it makes you seem thoughtless and unsympathetic. I could be wrong of course, but that was my impression.

Overall not a great challenge. While Cher has a signature voice and mannerisms, that doesn't mean everyone can do it well. Then again we're getting into top 5 range so they are turning up the difficulty level.
The weird thing about it was that "Snap out of it!" is probably the most uttered Cher-ism on Rupaul's Drag Race.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

graynull posted:

Yeah, it being a talking head made me feel way better about it than when some girls bring up stuff like that as a reason they're not doing well. She didn't turn it into a moment in the werk room or with the judges, just an explanation to the viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Miz Cracker's glitter-puking skull hat thing isn't getting the love it deserves. She's got a twisted little mind and I'm living for it.

• Locked thread