Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

endolithic posted:

Yeah, I'm listening to it right now and it's.. odd. I listened to her on Tom and Lorenzo's podcast a while ago and she was sharp and quick and funny, but she seemed more coherent? Here she's flitting on and off topic and getting out of chronological order despite the co-host's best efforts. It totally might just be nervous energy, but I hope she stays safe and okay :ohdear:

Yeah. She’s always been pretty kooky, and apparently a lot of her issues were hiding under the surface during times that she appeared to have things together, but she comes across as more obviously unwell now. Coming out with all of these big life-altering troubles she’s having in such a public way, with a fandom that already has shown to have boundary issues in the past, makes me worried for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Aquaria sounds like a more robotic Miss Fame without a single trace of the endearing chicken farm dorkiness. We’re probably stuck with her until the end.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

She’s holding up well enough on insta that I either assume she got a chance to come back or she’s just coming for Tempests title of baddest bitch to go home first

Are Laila and Shangela in that boat too? Because...

warez
Mar 13, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

I'm usually not the type to pick people I want to go, but how the hell is Disasterina lasting this long?

She's like the Tommy Wiseau of drag. What's not to like?

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Drag Race Thailand finale spoilers:

Hm. I've been pulling for Natalia since the beginning, so I'm not mad at the result, but I really didn't expect her to take the crown. The entire season seemed to be setting Annee up for the big win so this just feels a little strange? Whenever the subs are out maybe it'll be clearer what went down.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

big black turnout posted:

Ugh this loving sucks. But it makes sense if only because she has consistently been judged far above what she's presented 😢

Her Iris Van Herpen water look last week slayed at least.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

What a good-rear end lip sync song. Sad to see Yuhua go but she knows how to make the most of social media, maybe more than almost any of the other girls this season, so no way this is the last we see of her.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

esperterra posted:

Season 2 drama is the gift that keeps on giving

And it's all packed and delivered by Amazon, apparently.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Vixen picking fights seems to be overshadowing that she turns out some pretty drat cool looks (the peacock one and the transparent bikini/fan both looked incredible I think).

warez
Mar 13, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

the first ever Chantay You Both Stay!

On another note, I'm currently watching S3 Untucked and god it's so lovely when half Filipino, half Swedish Manila does a whole interview as a loving ching chong bing bong racist cartoon character, and when Shangela (of all people! who uses the t-word so loving much in this season!) calls her out on it, everybody is like "nah it's pretty much fine, she's some kind of Asian so it's basically the same thing")

There's something to be said about the way American culture (especially media) tends to treat east/southeast Asia as more homogenous than it is in reality; Manila could feasibly pass for Chinese (and could have faced some of the same generic "L = R" racist jokes from peers for all we know), so she ran with it. Phi Phi passes for a Chicano so she plays a chola character in All Stars 2 despite being Filipino. It's wonky and not 100% true to life at times (Shangela trying to police that situation came off worse for me, honestly). This might be a reach but I kind of consider it similar to Maya Rudolph playing whatever race is necessary in the moment in SNL.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

esperterra posted:

While I'm at it can we take a brief moment to acknowledge the fact nobody gives Trixie stans poo poo for being toxic and horrible and tearing apart other queens, but when Valentina's stans did the same thing it became a huge ordeal and somehow Val's responsibility? I mean I guess the issue w/ Val's stans was a bit more concentrated and 'in her name' and Trixie/Trixya stans are just lovely while happening to be huge Trixie and/or Katya fans.

Valentina specifically went and said "hey everyone, let's show the other queens how much we love them, post the rose emoji on their social media posts!" Trixie could do much more in calming down her rabid fans but she tends to stay above it all (or just making jokes about it later on a la "yet another dig"). I think activating her stans to do that kind of poo poo is a big part of why people fault Valentina for that ordeal.

warez fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 17, 2018

warez
Mar 13, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

nevertheless i will sign any petition that gets THE VIXEN awarded Miss Congeniality just for the sheer shade of it all

Oh god. I need this more than anything now.

She's firing on all cylinders this episode too. Queen.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Maybe it's just because I was under the impression for a while that Monet was Bob's drag daughter, but it feels like she's trying to make the sponges her Purse First.

Yeah. Any queen going into this by now should understand that the fandom thrives on repitition and beating dead horses until they turn to dust. Yuhua has been really upfront about playing this game. Monet could probably sell sponge-related merchandise for months after this wraps up.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

Glad that Middling Maudlin Milquetoast Mealy Miller is gone.

And next week...

Eureka Pootawn pls go.

And whoever said it first was spot on about the judges being awful this season. The flatly delivered puns are so boring at this point and drag the runways down.

Ru letting his show crash and burn while its structurally locked on autopilot.

Crash and burn? AS3 and the past couple seasons felt that way at times but I think 10 has shown some signs of course correcting (though I’ll agree everyone on the judging panel except Michelle seem totally loving checked out, and her opinions can be... frustrating at times). I wonder if VH1 is stepping in some and guiding WoW with the casting/editing/storywriting.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

King of Foolians posted:

I feel like this show is suffering in the same way Project Runway is where Ru/the producers are so focused on keeping to the same format that made it popular that they don't realize how stale and unoriginal it's become. It's still good tv but they've raised the bar so high that I expect so much more.

I feel like the biggest issue with Project Runway was less sticking too rigidly to the format and more that it slowly drifted away from what originally made it interesting. It shifted from a show about design ("design the postal uniform of the future, what would that look like?" "design a costume for an ice dancer, what does an outfit for an athlete require?" "can you make an outfit that would work for a drag queen? what details/silhouette/proportions does she need?") to a show about making normal, pretty gowns/red carpet dresses/RTW looks. I feel like this became very, very apparent when it switched over to Lifetime/when Anya won, but maybe things have gotten better since I've stopped watching. In that sense I think Drag Race suffers from some similar issues, especially as the last few seasons seem to have become more reliant on scripted acting challenges instead of just letting the queens be creative.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

IANAL but isn't doing this kinda thing literally a crime

Yeah. She's not a very clever person.

warez fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 25, 2018

warez
Mar 13, 2003

the escape goat posted:

"Those itty-bitty Dennis the Menace wigs"
I'm gleefully astonished at what a brutal read that was from Asia.

She’s getting some great digs in as the season goes on. I want to see her make it to the end.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Oh lord. Did Eureka have any jokes outside of "I DREW A PICTURE!!" Aquaria did way better than I expected. Her runway was an outstanding take on this Gaga look too.

warez fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 4, 2018

warez
Mar 13, 2003

The producers really picked an excellent episode to deploy the "who should go home" question. A reality competition staple and I eat it up every. time.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

blizzardvizard posted:

There's a lot more defensiveness and insecurity this season, it's strange and uncomfortable.

I think with some time and distance it's easy to recognize things like Shangela vs. The Heathers or Phi Phi vs. (the entire cast of S4) as really entertaining TV, but a lot of the early seasons had a very similar "it's almost uncomfortable to watch this unfold" feeling for me too. It's unexpected to have people outright fighting on the main stage again but I'm not mad at it.

blizzardvizard posted:

Was that the worst Snatch Game this show's ever had or what

Season 8 is still the bottom of the pile for me.

warez fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 4, 2018

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

we've seen a LOT of Eureka.

Is there any other way of seeing her?

warez
Mar 13, 2003

twistedbutterfly posted:

Yay for Kameron! :dance:

Yup. Happy for her.

Seymour Buttz posted:

King Of Fighters*

Benimaru is the original passable queen.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

World of Wonder really doesn't see it for Cracker this season :sigh:

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I feel like Cracker is just a neurotic perfectionist and that makes it hard to be spontaneous and keep having fun/being fun in this stage of the competition. She seems just drained by the whole experience [...]

Yeah. She was really quick on her feet the first few episodes (how anyone can say she’s not at least a little spontaneously funny after “there are no accidents in fisting” doesn’t make sense to me), but at this point in the competition it has to be dawning on her that she (most likely) isn’t winning.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

I think I was mentally mixing it with one of the several times a black queen killing a soulful song has gone out to a white girl spazzing and missing the vibe of the song.

This has happened several times? Eh? I remember TKB/Chi Chi/Latrice annihilating Milk/Thorgy/Kenya (respectively) to a soulful performance but I’m drawing blanks on the inverse.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. And don't gently caress it up!

loving lmao. I would kill for a queen to do a Pris look.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Jay O posted:

I mean, this has sort of happened.

That's funny, I actually considered mentioning this look when I wrote that post but (the other "almost, maybe not quite" look I had in mind was Alaska's latex look for AS2). Great minds, something something.

edit:

the escape goat posted:

Alaska’s AS2 latex look was hella Pris-inspired I think!

f;b

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Eureka's straight boy drag was eerily on point. No clue how she pulled that off.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

T shirt and shorts are fine as long as it's a 5 inch inseam. Nothing touching or below the knee. Hockey jersey and jeans, lose the jeans, wear a thong and high heels. No longer basic.

5" inseam? What am I, a nun?

warez
Mar 13, 2003

I don't want to witness the nuclear meltdown on reddit if, in a season with 5 black queens, Asia doesn't get top 3.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

esperterra posted:

lmao the main and all the satellite subs hate Eureka sooo much, it's hilarious. Even the satellite for 'serious' discussion seems to think her still being around is b/c the producers are somehow afraid of being sued?? when Eureka most definitely signed all sorts of poo poo before season 9 that would keep her from doing so if she got hurt on set.

I have lurked the satellite subs more than is probably healthy, and I can say for sure that they are every bit as delusional as the main sub. This thread is one of the few places I still enjoy discussing the show online because the energy tends to be pretty light/fun and people generally respect each other's opinions (instead of endless race wank/low-key hatred toward cis female fans).

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

I mean, I wasn't too into her, but how much of a political message could she really squeeze into most of the challenges and runways?

mermaid challenge: dress as a fishbelly

But really, I think it could be possible but it'd be pretty drat tough and the judges are really not going to give a queen points for contorting the assignment into some poignant commentary on race relations and capitalism every challenge (they are way more likely to reward whoever does the best overblown/messy caricature of their own race if we look at past seasons). The show has been more overtly political this season with Ru's workroom talks, but I agree that the challenges themselves still don't leave that much room for interpretation.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Apparently the live results for Miss Congeniality are visible to the public on the VH1 website with some tinkering

Expect Cracker or Blair to take it. I’m... meh on Cracker considering she’ll probably be one of the girls who will do very well post-Drag Race. I’d rather the money go to someone with a less established fanbase.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Aja told no lie :sigh:

warez
Mar 13, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

i can't remember but i'm going to hold lena dunham personally responsible

when will her reign of terror end :argh:

warez
Mar 13, 2003

warez posted:

Apparently the live results for Miss Congeniality are visible to the public on the VH1 website with some tinkering

Expect Cracker or Blair to take it. I’m... meh on Cracker considering she’ll probably be one of the girls who will do very well post-Drag Race. I’d rather the money go to someone with a less established fanbase.

Well, that was short-lived. The Vixen is now in the lead with more votes than the population of Belgium.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

I think there's a huge disconnect between how the show sells this entire thing ("making them feel special") while also pushing contestants to make underhanded choices that kind of dehumanize the recipients of the makeovers. Was it season 2 when some of the men were too frail to even walk? I get that it probably didn't produce the best experience for Kingsley but I don't really know that Eureka was doing anything except what the show expects of her (the way Ru grilled Aquaria for not doing the same is pretty telling to me).

warez fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 3, 2018

warez
Mar 13, 2003

“WoW is kind of lovely” is an understatement. There’s some tea about how in Season 9 Farrah wet herself because they weren’t allowed bathroom breaks.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Have any other queens lip synced 3 times and not gone home? I can only think of Juju

edit: barf this Untucked just took a turn for the absolute worst. "She's a drag queen at heart" :suicide: "I was obsessed with John Waters in 4th grade" :suicide: I love that John Waters apparently turned it around on her

warez fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 8, 2018

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Asia’s evil makeup was so cool and I loved letting the balloon fly away when she entered. Such a simple little touch for the character but it shows some wit. I wish she had won.

Ru comparing Aquaria to 3 past winners bodes very, very well for her going into the finale I imagine. I honestly can’t imagine anyone else winning after this episode (though the winners have been all over the place the past few seasons so who knows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

the escape goat posted:

She also gave away one of her dogs because it was “too much work” or whatever and then immediately turned around and got a puppy.

gently caress her forever.

Oh, just when I had forgotten about that :( ugh

• Locked thread