Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't know why it hit me with this last episode, but the green screen/color-keying in Drag Race Thailand is getting downright distracting. It's a shame because the queens and the staff are all so good, but it's taking me out of it.

Also, shout out to esperterra for the Manila love, which we got in the US premiere. Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's the sort of poo poo that used to get posted on the Front Page.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Depends on who's on the card.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I feel bad for Eureka as a human, but that doesn't make her good TV. She's over the top, even for a gleefully trashy reality television program like Drag Race. She could have done with another year or two to get her confidence back up, maybe, but it's hard to root for her right now.

On the flip side, Padma was an awesome choice for guest judge. Her taste level and shade aptitude are off the charts.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Well poo poo, now I want to take my super soaker to the water festival.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

big black turnout posted:

Dearis Doll shouldn't have been in the bottom in ep 7. It should have been B Ella and Natalia

Agreed, but it sounded like they hated her performance in the acting challenge. I've never seen Thai dramas, so I have no idea what the standards are.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I so lost focus during that challenge because I didn't understand what was going on at all

I don't know anything about the one on display, but its feeling and popularity takes me back to Huan Zhu Ge Ge (Pearl Princess), which is more or less about warring princesses and court/war drama in ancient China. This feels similar. But all of the acting looked like histrionic bullshit to me, so I'm assuming there's an art to it that I don't understand.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I would love it if they have p'Art and p'PanPan on a future season of Drag Race. Only because I want Pangina to scream FIGHT FOR IT when two queens are lip syncing. Her being that into it gets me every time.

If Ru doesn't have Art and Pan on as guest judges by the end of season 11, we need to call the cops.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Toast Museum posted:

SAME, but lol if anyone thinks Ru is going to have anyone else in drag as a judge, let alone someone as fierce as Art or Pangina.

Their boy looks are just fine.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

I think it's been stated at some point that Ru or WOW don't want to have any other queens at the judging table, even out of drag. I feel like that's the only plausible reason Lady Bunny has never judged an episode. You'd think she would have done a bunch of them by now if there wasn't an unspoken (but I think spoken at some point) rule about Ru being the only drag queen at the table.

I'm gonna need sources here. And besides, people are allowed to change their minds. I mean, Ru doesn't have a great track record of that, but still.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If I ever needed to act feminine for an event or whatnot, I would absolutely want a good drag queen helping me out. I don't see anything problematic in saying that they're much better with makeup and styling than I am.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sorry guys, missed the lipsync, was busy rocking up my apartment.

Seriously. I don't know how I feel about Courtney Love (not great, probably), but that had so many missed opportunities in their lip sync that I'm nearly upset.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

Anyone else notice really weird audio nonsense when Ru tells the girls to lsfyl and the thunder comes in? Maybe it's just a weird coincidence on OUTTv but the levels drop on Ru's voice when the thunder hits then goes back up again on the last line before the song hits.

But I could just be really high........

Sorry for double post.

They do a bunch of odd production shenanigans on this show. I wrote it off for a while but audio is my job now so I pretend not to care because the show is better than the production is bad. I think we're all happy to agree that it's better that the show even exists anyway.

In general, reverb needs a verrrrry light touch in post production environments. As soon as the mixer can hear it, it's too much. I generally watch poo poo quality streams for this show, but if anything they abuse reverb.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Careful with capture releasing spiders. If you find them inside and put them outdoors, that's still a death sentence.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I wonder if anybody in the room at the time expected that to go viral.

Then again, I guess there's a reason why the OP is mostly gifs.

edit: not Drag Race-related, but I just found this clip on YouTube and it's completely adorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-X2U1z9rc

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 8, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Thailand finale!

Good lord, I had no idea who Natalia's Snatch Game character was (I didn't know any of them really), but that lady's face is horrifying, right? It's not just me, right? She makes Chad Michaels look downright... natural.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

shadow puppet of a posted:

three masted hair ship

Miz Cracker (Untucked): You're gonna knock off my fascinator!!

p'Art: Bitch, please.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

cis autodrag posted:

I like yuhua but air guitar is an automatic disqualification imo. It's not RuPaul Dad Race

Dad drag and comedy would be a great mini challenge. This show loves bad puns.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
"You look like you need some support."

"I got these melons and I just don't know what to do with them!"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The first season of DRT was so loving good.I still don't like Uncle but it was a justifiable decision at least I can't wait for next season and I really hope some of these queens make it to RuPaul's Drag Race. JaJa on All Stars or p'Pan Pan as a guest judge???

Jaja is a good choice since she does English, but they kind of all do. I think Dearis and Année deserve a shot at All Stars for sure, or even just a regular season. Once upon a time, part of the grand prize for Austria's Next Top Model was an instant spot in the German version; something like that could work.

I never ever liked Uncle, and I still don't, but the win...was...justified. He was the only one who put much effort into the background display, and he put on a show. It was the sort of perfect that I find distasteful. Both Dearis and Année felt like they put more heart into it. Uncle just knows how to win at life.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

gandlethorpe posted:

Tamar, did you watch Untucked?

It felt like the producers all but forced Mayhem to go out with Eureka for her drat cigarette so they could get the footage of her talking at someone and trying to retroactively justify herself. It was uncomfortable to watch and I hope Eureka's number comes up soon.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I was really happy that Blair was safe and I'm not sure why y'all thought she should have been top. I fell in love with her a little from the editing, but I would have read her to filth for her Miami look. It had me worried.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've never rewatached it and I love Manila, but Raja kind of had it in the bag. She had the sort of daring, dramatic, polished look that Ru gags over. The Heathers were a bit nasty, but it's that thing where reality television villains of old sometimes look downright cute by today's standards.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Jaja was also just kooky in general. It wasn't just being foreign and speaking better English than Thai. She has a great aura but she leaves herself open for criticism, and Thailand held no punches.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Her padding game is also pretty atrocious. The victim would end up looking like a potato.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I feel like there must be a fansub out there. At the very least such a thing is doable if the show is on WOW steaming. Spanish is a top three global language after all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm glad this conversation came back to Eureka, the actual problem here.

It's strange that I like reality shows so much and hate petty drama, but here we are. Vixen might be a bit extra, but if you don't like extra then you really shouldn't be watching this show. Vixen hasn't bugged me at all, but she's put herself in a place where assholes like Eureka are going to have a trivial time pressing her buttons and nurturing the next overreaction. That's the gross part to me.

Gang tags, though! It's there any way to get that text pink and sparkly like the logo?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm right there with you guys on team WTF-was-that-bullshit-striptease-lipsync. I was POSITIVE Monet was toast for that, especially since Ru has a habit of eliminating queens upon their second LSFYL. It was just so painfully awkward. The motorcycle didn't work and was far too long. The striptease made it look like her legs were caught in her pants. Wig reveals are overused and lazy*. Her undergarments looked terrible, especially the bust. Her dancing sucked.

Meanwhile, Mayhem turned in competence. Ah, well.

Eureka was meh. She didn't do anything wrong I guess, but her baby was as one-note as Mayhem's picklephobe. It was just a very loud one note, and an obese man dressed as an infant is always going to be funnier than a lady who's terrified of pickles. She isn't doing anything to distinguish herself. I mean, (Thailand) I thought Natalia was obnoxious but I absolutely understand why she won. Eureka doesn't have anything on these girls, I'm just starting to think that she'll go deep in the backs of othergirls loving up worse.

*I like them when they're used thoughtfully, like in the maxi challenge. That was the funniest part of their skit, bless their hearts.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, Blair got really lucky again this week. I thought her talk show performance was worse than anybody's (awkward, dry), and her runway was just okay. I'm not complaining too much because she's fantastic, but she needs to step it up.

If nothing else, she'd be a solid Miss Congeniality.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

cis autodrag posted:

Gays aren't allowed to guest judge anymore. loving another man is like steroids for evaluating the performance of men flapping their mouths to songs and wearing dresses, and rupaul cares about fairness too deeply.

If that's for real that's bullshit. God, for Thailand all of the judges were in drag save for a token cis-presenting person.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Vanjie will never be a dead horse :colbert:

She's Vaaaan jie!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Justice demands that most of that cast returns due to getting dryfucked by the format, but also as appreciation for participating in a poorly concealed coronation vehicle for Chad Michaels. Who the hell would say no to more Latrice on their tv anyway?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Enough of us seriously dislike Eureka that you can't just call the sentiment a petty hate boner. I find her lazy, loud, obnoxious, and generally unfunny. Vixen was ugly during critique and all, but Eureka's inability to keep her mouth shut was a bad look. I don't care if you like her, but it's not like mine is a fundamentally incorrect opinion.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, a lot of the time the runway was the challenge, so there was naturally more time to cover everything.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

I'm so happy design challenges have been making a comeback.

Yeah, They're really capturing the Thailand formula of decent mini, decent maxi, decent runway. It's a beautiful thing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Miz Cracker's glitter-puking skull hat thing isn't getting the love it deserves. She's got a twisted little mind and I'm living for it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Holy poo poo, that could be incredible.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oooh, that's a trip report I'm looking forward to. Have fun!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

jit bull transpile posted:

Their makeup isn't bad, it's extremely stylized. You may have noticed they have pretty developed individual anesthetics. It's a big part of what they sell as performers. Ilana was also wearing a bra under a jacket.

They're awesome and if you want to criticize them you have to fight me with punchy fists.

I couldn't make it through even half of an episode of their show, but they were great guests. It makes me want to look into their stand-up (I'm assuming they've done stand-up).

I'm glad Kameron got to stay, but between that challenge performance and Ru's werkroom words, the writing seems to be on the wall for her. Shame :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Eureka looked like a velour beach ball with appendages.

• Locked thread