Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
One of the results of Ru or Michelle not going through the werkroom and giving critiques is you end up with trainwrecks like Kalorie and Vanjie's outfits. On most any other season, Ru would have strolled through and told them girl, no...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

At least Vanjie's outfit was exuberantly flamboyant, Kalorie's was just kinda meh

I like Kalorie's personality but I like Vanjie's more and would have preferred she stayed.

I hope Kalorie has more to offer than twerking because that's a gimmick that's good once, mayyyybe twice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm kind of over the Eureka pity party

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Los Angeles makes you stupid

(and into really dumb/weird new agey nonsense)

my ex was super into his "blood type" diet, where based on his blood type he couldn't have broccoli and a bunch of other random poo poo. he was also vegan and gluten-free. good loving luck picking a restaurant.

needless to say, one of the major conflicts in our relationship was that I was a PhD scientist and he wasn't remotely interested in hearing a scientific perspective on anything ever; if Oprah, Dr. Oz, or Deepak Chopra said something that was obviously true and why are you even trying to talk about science ugh

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 31, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

Much like your posting

Honey. Hoooooney.

I used to do private science tutoring for a group of fabulously wealthy anti-vaxxers (they wrote and produced movies you've heard of). Two years ago I got shingles and they wanted me to come to work while contagious so I could deliberately give their kids chickenpox. And they would take their kids to a homeopath rather than an actual doctor. Yeah, people are loving stupid.

Unrelated, but it really seems to me that Yuhua is a trans-woman. I hope it's not offensive to think that, and it's also really terrible that RPDR apparently has a history of forcing trans-women to go off hormones during filming. Like what the gently caress, you wouldn't deny a diabetic insulin or a depressed person their anti-depression meds. Again, I hope that's not too clumsy of an analogy, it just seems really random and hurtful to deny someone medication which is fundamental to their everyday well-being.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 31, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

I call her Pretty Bob but I am digging Discount Bob.

Monet isn't nearly as funny as Bob so far so I think Discount Bob fits pretty well

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Watrick posted:

I'm happy you brought this up. After Blair and Dusty disclosed their families religious beliefs it brought up some problems I've had with my family and their beliefs involving my sexuality, so it's been on my mind for a few days now. Listening to Blair, she made it sound like she comes from a very conservative religious household, just like Dusty. Unlike Dusty, it sounds like Blair's parents did not reject their love for their child and instead of treating her as some sort of embodiment of sin, they chose to love her, and raise her in their belief system, even with the fact that he does very good, and at points, really fishy drag. Blair doesn't ever really come off as 'slutty', her looks so far have had a conservative slant to them, but it's easy to miss that with her looks being so well done and having a certain kind of sophistication to them. It makes me wonder how much of an influence her family and their beliefs have on her drag. It's not often we get girls disclosing happy endings with families and beliefs. Naomi was one too, but that feels a bit different from this. I have a few suspicions why, but this isn't the time. So, part of me wonders if that's why she comes off as a little boy in his moms big clothes. Is she giving herself a bit of extra room so to still adhere to values and beliefs involving modesty, or other factors? Is she even aware of this? We seem to be sailing into uncharted territory as 'gay' culture permeates systems that would once outright reject it, and in cases, still does. My heart really goes out to Dusty for what he went through. I take issue with my like of men being blamed on what equates to an atypical childhood, rather than it simply being who I am. Nature or nurture, choice or not. It shouldn't be anything else other than this is what we are. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have people who I thought loved me look at me like I'm a monster and taken me to a priest to have some sort of gay demon exercised from me. I can only imagine from Dusty's response that it is at least devastating.

fwiw Blair was/is in legal trouble for leaving the state to film RPDR after getting busted for drunk driving

so while she may give an innocent / boy scout vibe, she ain't

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

Panpan I love you

I love Pangina and could watch her endlessly

e: audio is kinda poo poo but if you wanna know how to lipsynch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0XMu4hjmQ

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 10, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Tyra is boring

edit:

quote:

As of 2018, Ross works at an Amazon packing warehouse.

At the risk of being a shady bitch, if you're working at an Amazon warehouse during the daytime your drag career is probably... not so hot.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 10, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Aquaria was good but imo her outfits were a bit simple, she's kind of half relying on body. They're good looks, they're just not as detailed as some of the other queens, particularly Kameron and Cracker this week. She kind of reminds me of Naomi Smalls during the first part of her season, panties and a bra and legs for days. She looks good, but other queens served a lot more elaborate and detailed looks.

Blair is feeling a bit one-note for me, old Hollywood glamour is fine and she does it well but I want to see some variety.

Kameron and Cracker were probably my top two picks this week.

Man, Ru's runway look was certainly a choice. Did she not have someone to do her makeup that week? Yeesh that was fugly.

edit: yeah Monet killed the lipsynch but she really needs a huge reality check on her looks. She thinks she's bringing high concept couture but it's been consistently busted.

I think Kameron is a kind of a sneaky front-runner. She's not as vocal as the other queens but her looks are extremely polished, I'm really interested to see how she does on acting and comedy challenges where she needs to put forward more personality.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 13, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

Aquaria nailed it this week on the runway in terms of complete looks that looked good on her and fit the theme, I went in fully prepared not to like her Mars ball look based on the workroom.

After a second watch, I gotta disagree and was kind of annoyed with how Aquaria's looks didn't really fit the categories/themes.

Beach/summer outfit - lucha libre, which I guess is a summer outfit?? Was giving me more superhero vibes, everyone else did a beach look.
Winter/ice queen - pastel faux fur poms. That's kind of more spring colors, I wasn't getting anything winter about it.
Mars - black geometric cutouts, half naked. I don't see what's Mars / future / outer space in it.

They were good looks imo, but *just* good, not amazing. And I would have no idea they were supposed to be beach / winter / Mars themed if you hadn't told me, a lot of the other girls I would've guessed pretty close.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

a rare kameron talking head appears!
man the cast this season is excellent. just sass city all round. vixen just dumping the two queens she dislikes most together is very, very funny, although i think aquaria is in a whole diff league to eureka

also 100% of the ideas for the maxi challenge sound terrible hahaha. come on queens, work that chaff into gold

I love the Vixen

I kind of suspect she's right about Eureka and Aquaria not working too well together, I guess we'll see.

Cracker and Mayhem have a pickle challenge, Cracker at least has a good enough comedic wit to make plenty of dick jokes about pickles, that'll be fine.

If I had to guess, I think Clair and Monique will struggle the most. Monique is a big and expressive personality but hasn't been very funny, and Clair seems quiet and demure. I expect Monique will steal the spotlight and not be very funny while Clair mostly gets talked over.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Vixen is combative and looking for a fight, but that makes for good reality TV.

She's also correct in how black women are perceived.

White men are allowed to be angry, argumentative, and confrontational because they're just projecting their masculinity and power.
If women do it, they're shrill bitches or just being hysterical.
Black people are angry, that's just how they are. Maybe if they toned it down and weren't so uppity, people would be more inclined to listen to what they have to say.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

Blackout drunk, it was glorious. There's a video from Eureka's perspective on stage and some crowd videos that pick up where her insta live ended.

video: https://www.reddit.com/r/rupaulsdragrace/comments/8cm59x/derrick_berry_wasted_at_the_haters_roast/

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Aquaria and Blair St. Clair are kinda whatever for me. They both are serving a fairly uniform aesthetic and don't seem to be great with acting, Snatch Game might be a brutal knockout week for them.

Aquaria is half relying on that 21-year-old twink bod. No shame, rock it while you got it! Her looks are very good, but for me they come across as half or more body-ody-ody. I really want to see a huge gown, padding, or something other than twink bod + lingerie.

Same for Blair St. Clair. She's very predictable: skinny girl tight-fitting old Hollywood glamour.

Give me a huge gown, padding... something??

I want to be entertainted. Aquaria and Blair don't entertain me, so far they've mostly been twinks that can look pretty.

cis autodrag posted:

Also, Ross was actually kind of awkward. He stumbled a lot and he didn't understand Crackers puns at the start. Shameful Ross.

I 110% knew Cracker was going to make dumb dick=pickle jokes, but that's OK. Cracker's thing seems to be making the super obvious and tacky/stupid jokes while also delivering clever wit and style.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I don’t know if anyone else feels this way, but I’ve hated almost all of the main challenges. I’ve loved most of the runways and everything else, but I’ve cringed through the challenges.

everything AS3 and season 10 have done for main challenges have been some weak rear end poo poo compared to Drag Race Thailand

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I was very critical of Blair due to the DUI thing, but tonight... gently caress. That hit me hard. As someone who’s experienced something similar, I was in tears.

Monique has a pretty interesting back story in Untucked, too

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think Aquaria and Eureka are really gonna struggle with Snatch Game.

Aquaria is rather socially awkward and it will be a miracle if she's funny or interesting.

Eureka can do exactly one character really well: Eureka. Catsuit, hairloaf, fat jokes. Honestly I'm ready for her to go, she doesn't really bring anything to the table for me. Except DINNER lol it's a fat joke.

edit: also I'd say I'm getting really tired of the same predictable outfits from Aquaria, Eureka, Blair (RIP), and somewhat Cracker and Kameron. They all have a brand and serve the same silhouette and aesthetic every week and it's getting boring.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 2, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I hope that we can all agree S7 and AS1 were the shittiest. S7 for having a lot of lackluster queens* and way too many acting challenges, AS1 for the stupid format.

*lol Pearl

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 3, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Thank God Aquaria got the win. Loved the way she turned it out.

Monique was obviously shook as hell, and was also definitely wearing another made-in-the-last-30-minutes creation. I could tell that part of the reason she felt so defeated was that she could tell she would never manage to get the judges' approval given what she had brought and what she could realistically turn out in the time allotted. I actually thought she might have purposefully self-sabotaged but she really didn't know the words by all accounts. :sigh:

Kameron and Cracker were fun in Untucked and it was interesting hearing them talk about how much money they spent preparing for the show, contrast that to Monique.

Eureka did fine but I still find her really one-dimensional. Loud + fat jokes, that's her shtick and while she's doing well it's wearing pretty thin for me.

Aquaria made a smart choice. She's socially awkward but aware of it, so she hams it up for the camera. It comes across as rather forced, but it worked fine in her Snatch. Her use of props was also smart given she might not have the funniest verbal quips but she managed the latter too.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
holy poo poo, Vixen in Untucked is messy af, not a good look

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

if anything, after this season Monique's coffers should runneth over. given her amazing talking heads, laugh and personality, she's also likely a shoe-in for an AS season. she'll destroy.

maybe I'm wrong but I think the earlier seasons of RPDR had a lot more construction / sewing challenges, it seems like the recent seasons are mostly prepared looks which really disadvantages queens who aren't already doing well financially

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't get the eureka hate. She's a bit of a motor mouth, but I get like that too when I'm feeling socially uncomfortable. You just start joking incessantly trying to get the awkwardness to stop.

She's one note with her humor and looks and she talks a lot, plus was on season 9. It's been catsuits and fat jokes for a dozen episodes in a row, which gets old for some people.

Even her Snatch game was half fat jokes, she was eating/drinking the whole time and pulled out her belly. Yes that fits the character but we get it, you're proud of your size and like to joke about it. At this point it's boring and predictable.

edit: basically Eureka annoys me because she relies too much on volume (:v:) over substance

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 4, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: Eureka, I think a lot of the dislike from viewers is coming from the huge amount of time she's been onscreen.

She was in five episodes of S9 and now she's been on seven episodes of s10.

She's also a favorite for talking heads and work-room edits, so we've seen a LOT of Eureka.

I agree she is a strong queen and has been doing really well in S10. However, I also find her boring and predictable and I've seen enough of her in this reality TV show

Like I said, I think Eureka relies too much on VOLUME. Her Snatch Game was fine.

Personally, I evaluate queens based on "would I pay money to go see their show." What Eureka has shown me is good, but I wouldn't pay money to see it, it's too boring and generic. Can you sing? Can you dance? Can you do comedy? Do you pull crazy shocking stunts?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/4lsn5p/rupauls-drag-race-first-look-the-unauthorized-rusical

preview for next week!

the vixen's level of pettiness continues to make me swoon and screech in equal measure. "but you attacked... my dream". bitch, please! just like highlander, there can be only one. nevertheless, eureka continues to annoy. "i didn't have a problem with vixen to begin with". my eyes nearly rolled the gently caress out of my head.

kameron getting some focus! holy poo poo! she seems more and more like a final three competitor now, especially given this week's cher-themed challenge. the michaels dynasty lives on.

this mini-challenge might be the best one in the whole god drat show. ru still says the technically-correct-but-still-weird-to-me 'jif'. i love it. i love her. she seems to legitimately crack up at monet's diss as well. WE GET A VANJIE IN THE FIRST TEN MINUTES OF THE EPISODE. asia is the queen of shade, seriously and god drat i love her - but it gives me life to see her get accidentally for-real smacked in the face by ru. god drat that's funny.

another rusical - this time with live singing! hurrah! now even if when they get terrible, terrible lyrics, it should still be entertaining and queens have a chance to redeem or doom themselves. good stuff

fwiw Kameron is not part of the SoCal Michaels dynasty

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

spite house posted:

This video of Monet performing "Strange Fruit" is really intense and uncomfortable and great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrZPJ9gO5o0

gently caress she's got some great pipes

I hope she gets to sing more this season

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

I think the most you could do is narrow it down and say we're either getting a double shante or an eliminated queen is returning but it could be either really, plus you have to potentially factor in a double elimination

Does anyone else think Monet would have won this week if she just wore some loving big hair on the runway like Ru and the judges have been practically begging her to do every week, because I do.

big hair would have helped but her look was not that great imo

Monet has good concepts, the execution is consistently... rather shoddy

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm LIVING for Miz Cookie

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

That was a much better lip sync than last week, and much more worthy of a shantay you both stay than last week's.

Whalley posted:

THIS WAS The REAL DOUBLE SHANTAY LIPSYNC

THE gently caress

wat

Monet delivered an okay lip-sync, this is her third time in the bottom and she hasn't won any challenges.

Kameron gave a very good lip-sync, this is her second time in the bottom (and she had a straight guy for the makeover), and she's won a challenge.

That was absolutely the right elimination decision.

Have we had queens do makeovers on straight guys before? I forget. The girls that got the straight guys had a bit more of a challenge and it's interesting how that turned out. Cookie was absolutely feeling it, Cracker did a great job on her makeup which was part of that. Kelly Michaels was kind of what you'd expect from a straight guy makeover, a bit reserved and underwhelming.

I loved Cookie's transformation from reserved, bearded "oh no it's a shy straight guy" to absolutely gorgeous and slutty queen.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 25, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

King of Foolians posted:

I loved reading about all the behind-the-scenes fuckery that's going on and I'm glad Willam is dropping the T. I get the impression that most of the other queens would never speak out like this, out of respect for Mother Ru, but Willam is the only one smart enough to realize that no one is giving out crowns for respect. I never liked him as much as lots of other queens and his Beatdown was never really my kind of humor but I respect Willam for realizing that there are other ways to *win* Drag Race besides making it to the finale. And from what I've heard he is good with his fans, works hard and is mostly professional.

Can someone help me parse something though. What exactly did Willam do to get kicked off the show? It was the major mystery of Season 4 with the only on-air clue being that Phi Phi accused Willam of "breaking rules". At the finale/reunion they came out with the tale that Willam had contacted his partner to come and visit him when they were supposed to be sequestered but in these recent tweets Willam is now saying that that's not true and it instead had something to do with him strategically trying to get kicked off by lying about his computer being stolen? Can someone help me make sense of what happened?

I think the better question might be "what didn't Willam do." He had quite a bit of previous experience working in TV/film so probably knew more than the other queens how things are supposed to work during production. Right from the start of filming when they were doing their entrances, he called bullshit on them letting Sharon redo her entrance but not anyone else. My understanding was he decided then that if the producers were going to bend/break the rules, fuckit I will too.

Willam is good at a lot of things but what she's outstanding with is marketing/branding herself. She is a very sharp businesswoman and correctly assumed she could get a ton of publicity from getting kicked off the show, and burning bridges with Ru and WoW wouldn't end her career. So, she broke all the rules and repeatedly called the producers out on unfair things they were doing on set.

I'm not 100% sure on the timeline and what the actual final straw was but I think when she slept with the producer that was pretty close to the tipping point.

The official reason given at the reunion was she called her husband over to the hotel to get some D. Actually she broke all the rules and beat the producers at reality TV.

edit: re-reading I think it was the computer thing that was the final straw, loving the producer was at the end of the whole season.

edit2: also WoW booked Willam for All Stars S1 and canceled her 40 hours before it was supposed to start. IIRC that's why Mimi Imfurst is there, she was a last minute replacement.

WoW is kind of lovely.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 7, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The way this was all presented and judged was loving stupid. What a garbage format.

edit: Aquaria's bad look was utter garbage, what is that poo poo hanging from your face.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 8, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ugh that was a garbage episode. A dumb challenge poorly judged.

Stop giving Ru and WoW money.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

I used to go to this one drag Friday in SF, and there was one unisex bathroom where the toilets would crap out within the first hour or two. At that point there was a trough and a mirror and no fucks given.

I miss it.

male anatomy is so much simpler and easier to handle

female anatomy is actually important though

fun fact: because we evolved bipedalism, our female hips have grown narrower and more saddle-shaped. this makes human births far more difficult and traumatic than other apes :(

edit: when I teach intro biology I get uproarious laughter when I discuss how female lantern fish basically convert male lantern fish into tiny parasitic testes who do nothing more than produce sperm

sorry males of most species; you have it extremely easy

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 12, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

The hell? I've read a fair bit about the impacts of bipedalism and upright posture, but this is a new one.

Like the angler fish!

yeah I meant angler fish

and a better way of saying hips is pelvis, the human pelvis is much narrower and more saddle-shaped than the stretched and broader pelvic bone of other apes, plus our babies have bigger heads. combined, that means humans have a much more difficult time giving birth.

I'm not much for :biotruths: but that's a pretty well-established bit of biological anthropology

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Good, juicy drama in the reunion episode.

Kinda disappointed some of the queens were almost totally silent, that's my only complaint. Blair barely said a word.

Also, ouch, nobody picks Kameron for the crown.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
RPDR is great for the LGBTQ community, but RuPaul herself is kinda lovely. She's kind of backed herself into a reality-TV corner where she has to be exploitative and awful to make good TV, and is also a bit of a dinosaur toward some issues and we need someone new to carry the Drag Mother torch.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

warez posted:

Everyone automatically called it as Cracker as if her little rear end is going to be much help in a fight lol

which is hilarious because Cracker has a national gold medal in karate

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

I'm kind of glad to hear that I'm not the only one feeling a slight burn out on the show right now. Too much too fast, in terms of seasons, or something like that.

That being said, I'm still please that we got to see Nina & Ongina particularly. Ongina for AS season 4

I wonder why there was no Tammie Brown

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

She was on tour in Australia opening for Trixie.

Well that's good, I'm happy to hear she's working and that's probably a pretty sweet gig

She's such an adorable weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

Have they said anything about how transphobic the language was on early seasons?

not really, other than the lighting being extremely transphobic :v:

iirc the worst transphobia was in early untucked

• Locked thread