Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vixen to me comes off as a bully to me tbh. She's the kind of person I would intensely dislike if I knew her in real life.

But maybe I'm biased because I like Aquaria (and seem to be in a minority)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

esperterra posted:

Vixen is definitely a bit of a bully, imo, but I dig it and she raises good points about how white queens are perceived vs black queens typically by fans of the show.

I don't get this. Yeah she might have some good points but that doesn't justify her being a bully. "Yeah s/he is a terrible person, but it's entertaining so it's ok" is not exactly the most cromulent position to take. It's not that I dislike her, mind you, but I very much dislike that particular behavior, and imo needs to be called out for the toxic poo poo it is instead of encouraged. I'd much rather they kiss and make up (literally if possible)

Having said that, I am also very much isolated from the fandom and their reactions to the various queens on social media, as I don't have much of a social media presence so maybe I'm missing poo poo, I dunno.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah but IMO those points would be more likely to be received constructively if she wasn't also so blatantly a bully. If any other black queen this season were making that point it'd just be "hell yeah", but in Vixen's case it can also be perceived as her laying some groundwork to be as lovely as she wants to be without being called on it. It risks being read as "I'm going to start as many fights as I want and if you say I'm an rear end in a top hat for that you're racist".

I agree with what Cracker said, tone it down from an 11 to a 5 and her message will be a lot more agreeable with her coming off less as a bully, but then again, like Vixen says, her attitude has gotten her where she is.

Edit: wow you were busy while I was typing this, lol

McCloud fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 18, 2018

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've only watched from s6 forward, and the most aggressive queen I can recall is Bianca, and she was nowhere near as aggressive as Vixen, and usually her shade was made in good humor. Alyssa seemed pretty chill in All stars . And isn't Tati a PoC?

I agree with you in that I think it's how aggressive Vixen is that's the turn off. If she toned it down it wouldn't be as big of a deal when she calls out the other queens.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Didn't occur to me that she's black either tbf. But that's because I don't see race :smug:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

Minorities get told to tone it down to be be heard all the time. Guess what happens when we do? We become easier to tune out.

Tone policing and respectability politics are a tool the majority uses to drown out minority viewpoints. You're reacting to the vixen this way because something deep down in you is uncomfortable with what she is saying, but you don't see yourself as a person that disagrees with her point so your conscious reaction is one to her tone instead. What you should be asking yourself is "if she's not wrong, why does it matter how loud she is about it?"

I'm saying she's overreacting. It's the equivalent of punching someone in the nose for giving you the finger. Proportionate response is a thing. Her skin color is (as far as I can tell) not a factor in my evaluation of her. I'd be just as angry at anyone else who's being belligerent like that because I am conflict averse, and messy confrontational queens are the opposite of my jam.

I mean, I'm going to assume you're American, just because of the cultural baggage you seem to have projecting on me. That's not to say we don't have issues with minorities in Europe (lol) but they are a bit of a different beast than it is in the US.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

If you're not American you really can't understand the context in which a South Chicago drag queen's fight is happening. I don't want to talk down to you, but you cannot possibly understand the environment in which the vixen grew up and still lives. Shouting is the only way to be heard for someone from Chiraq, and then they'll still ignore you because you're being uppity.

Eh, that's fair. I mean, I still agree with Poulpe in that she's caustic and picking fights, but I'm also dimly aware that the experience of a PoC in the US is beyond me, as a white dude in Europe.

esperterra posted:

gently caress how could I forget Bob lmao. Much as I love her season 8 just like escapes from my brain b/c it's my least favourite season. You're right, though. So our list of super popular PoC queens over 12 seasons is p much just Latrice, Shangie and Bob.

Bianca doesn't count as PoC? What about Trinity, Naomi, Kim Chi, Chi chi and Tati? And aren't Raja and Raven pretty popular?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

esperterra posted:

idk have you read any of my other posts on the matter? The other PoC (latino, asian, or just lighter skinned/mixed) get a huuuuuuuuge pass from the fanbase compared to black ones, whether their behaviour is the same or not.

Oh lol I wrote PoC in that post instead of specifying popular black queens. Okay yeah that's my b.

Ah ok that makes sense. Naomi, Trinity and Tati still count tho :colbert:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

You should specify Trinity K Bonet because I kept thinking you were referring to Trinity Taylor and doing that weird euro thing of distinguishing between types of white people, especially since you were bringing up Bianca Del Rio before too.

lol how on earth do you think of Trinity Taylor before Trinity K Bonet? I'd totally forgotten about Taylor, but even if I hadn't, I would not be listing her Alabama rear end with any PoC group.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's amazing that Vixen can have a huge meltdown on stage, bitch about Eureka stealing attention (in a loving snatch game no less) and try to lecture her for doing the same poo poo she's been doing all season, and people will still defend her
She thought she was hot poo poo and looked her nose down at Aquaria and Eureka and the fact they are killing it and she's barely staying afloat is killing her salty rear end. It's s pure ugly jealousy.

Re: Eureka, her material may be one note, but it's still funny and steals the show. She's entertaining and that's what matters

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Agreed. Each episode my willingness to give Vixen the benefit of the doubt evaporation and now it's gone. She showed her true colours as a petty, jealous hipocrit bully, and it sucks that Monique had to leave. Here's hoping third time's the charm.

Speaking of, I am surprised SpongeBob outlasted Monique, would have thought for sure she'd be booted before Monique.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm torn because I disliked Vixens constant feuding and pointless drama, but as a girl she looked pretty, and as a boy he looked hot, so I still wanted her around for the eyecandy.

Semi-related, but drat if this season didn't have a lot of gorgeous men. Vixen, dusty, Kameron, and of course, Aquaria.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

yeah there's an awful lot of tone police voices out there saying "she would have been more succesful with her politics if she wasn't such a bitch to everyone" but i don't think that's true at all. i think her confrontational style is fantastic for a reality tv show. it's entirely the format for it

Calling her out for her enormous hypocrisy is not tone-policing and it's pretty obnoxious to deflect legit criticism against her by claiming it is. it's correctly giving her poo poo for hiding behind contrived reasons when she's trying to tear someone else down who she doesn't like, despite the other persons attempt to mend fences. Her accusing Eureka for being unprofessional for doing her job is stupid on the face of it, but then add that she's behaving like a brat when Eureka defends herself, and to top it all off accuses Eureka of not changing when she's a stubborn bitch herself that refuses to adjust her attitude, despite all the other queens telling her to tone it down a notch or five.

She deserved to be sent home for that tantrum, her persecution complex just got tiring in the end, as did her grudge against Eureka.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

esperterra posted:

Vixen and Eureka are two sides of a messy coin and I love them both. It was 100% Vixen's time when she went home tho, and the way she called out Eureka on stage and her reasoning for it was lol a choice.

I just find it funny so many people are still mad at Vixen for being at 11 nearly her whole run when girl let us know she was there to fight from the jump!

I agree with this. Listen, I love Vixen when she's not needlessly picking fights. If someone pokes the bear they deserve a mauling, but it's when she keeps hunting them across the nation to maul their asses I get annoyed.
She uses her drag to fight for good, and she won't back down when someone is acting like an rear end and I got mad respect for that, and she looks fierce, and on average I like her alot more than Eureka.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Can non-americans vote on that poll? I tried clicking on that link but it just sent me to a weird facebook page, and any link I clicked there sent me back to the main FB page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

esperterra posted:

iirc Miss C voting is always US only, yeah.

I think experience has taught us that americans voting can only end in disaster

• Locked thread