Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Are enough people watching Drag Race Thailand to warrant a separate thread? Seems better than black bars all over the place here, if it's an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does Kalorie's face give anyone else thick Farrah Moan?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Weed Wolf posted:

are there any new drag race thailand links? the old ones seem to have been taken down

The ones posted at https://twitter.com/KudaLakorn are still up.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

alf_pogs posted:

miss vaaaaaaaaaaannnnngie.

https://twitter.com/fka_tristan/status/978300683953696768

So dumb and I can't stop looking at it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Did they ever end up getting a take where Darienne said that line correctly? What even was the full line? Big girl walking down the dirty street, something something sturdy feet?

fake edit: according to some lyrics sites, her verse is

quote:

Big girl, why you all in bare feet
Walkin' down the dirty city street?
Keep your shoes on, honey
To make that money
'Cause your toenail dragging
And that sure ain't funny!

Oof. That first line doesn't scan at all.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I wish they'd get away from the lip-sync musical format. It feels like they're trying to relive season 6's Shade: The Rusical* without having to cast good singers, but even the mediocre-to-bad singers turned in a better performance than the painfully awkward lip-syncs we've gotten out of the other musicals. Just make 'em sing. Alternatively, skew toward dancing and do something like season 5's Black Swan: Why It Gotta Be Black?

*Adore should have won that challenge.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

garthoneeye posted:

Adore's the better singer, but Courtney had the ingénue/Broadway characterization perfect which pulled her ahead.

Alright, that's fair. I think it always chapped me a little that Drag Race tried so hard to make it seem like an even match-up in singing ability, despite the fact that Courtney's initial out-of-drag Idol audition got her nowhere.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I too respect the integrity and judgement of the idol franchise across continents

I've never watched it ( :smuggo: ), but "mediocre singer came back with a compelling gimmick" seems way more likely than "gimmick makes judges realize the singing was great all along."

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

cis autodrag posted:

Unpack that a little?

Lucian is probably mentally ill and prone to twitter meltdowns. Santino's Twitter feed is mostly capslock raw veganism and new-age word salad. I've listened to almost none of What's the Tee, but I've heard that a recurring theme is whatever magical thinking Michelle is into that week.

Edit: I would watch a challenge involving queens dramatically reading Santino's Twitter feed.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Re: face dots, I was all set to ask how often Sasha Velour skipped the unibrow, but on review she varies her brow a fair amount while keeping it recognizably her style. "Dots" is a broad enough idea that Dusty can probably do the same.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I would love it if they have p'Art and p'PanPan on a future season of Drag Race. Only because I want Pangina to scream FIGHT FOR IT when two queens are lip syncing. Her being that into it gets me every time.

SAME, but lol if anyone thinks Ru is going to have anyone else in drag as a judge, let alone someone as fierce as Art or Pangina.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

esperterra posted:

I think it's been stated at some point that Ru or WOW don't want to have any other queens at the judging table, even out of drag. I feel like that's the only plausible reason Lady Bunny has never judged an episode. You'd think she would have done a bunch of them by now if there wasn't an unspoken (but I think spoken at some point) rule about Ru being the only drag queen at the table.

If she ever actually spelled that out, it's news to me. Going by Todrick's stint as a judge, queens in boy drag seem to be fine, at least.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Berzerker posted:

the first ever Chantay You Both Stay!

On another note, I'm currently watching S3 Untucked and god it's so lovely when half Filipino, half Swedish Manila does a whole interview as a loving ching chong bing bong racist cartoon character, and when Shangela (of all people! who uses the t-word so loving much in this season!) calls her out on it, everybody is like "nah it's pretty much fine, she's some kind of Asian so it's basically the same thing")

Yeah, season 3 has not aged well. Untucked is especially rough. I wonder if Ru would give Manila that win (edit: the win for that racist interviewer character, I mean) if season 3 were happening right now. I kind of suspect she would :(

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 15, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Propaganda Machine posted:

I've never rewatached it and I love Manila, but Raja kind of had it in the bag. She had the sort of daring, dramatic, polished look that Ru gags over. The Heathers were a bit nasty, but it's that thing where reality television villains of old sometimes look downright cute by today's standards.

Edited my post for clarity. I meant the win on that interview episode where she did the Asian caricature. The season definitely belonged to Raja, though I think she'd get some blowback about appropriation for some of those looks now.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

shadow puppet of a posted:

That reminds me, how did JaJa's blackface Nicki Minaj get a free pass in here and elsewhere?

Oof, I didn't notice it at the time, but I see it now that you mention it. If we want to give out free passes, there's the spiel about blackface not having the same baggage elsewhere that it has here. I'm more willing to buy that in this case than I am when people trot it out to justify Zwarte Piet costumes, at least.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

And yes a food themed runway (maybe paired with a cooking show main challenge) would be incredible.

Bring Padma back for that episode, obviously.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I don't know anyone who has WOW Presents Plus, but they're gonna premiere Drag Race Thailand on May 4th.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/16/drag-race-thailand-season-1-premiere-date/

That article also mentions a Chilean spinoff I'd never heard of, The Switch Drag Race. Apparently season 2 is airing now, and the contestants include Gia Gunn and Kandy Ho.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It seems like black/non-black probably frames the issue more clearly than white/non-white in this case.

Edit: beaten

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

caligulamprey posted:

I'm not on board with the sponge bit. It feels very Mrs. Kasha Davis, which makes my blood run cold.

Maybe it's just because I was under the impression for a while that Monet was Bob's drag daughter, but it feels like she's trying to make the sponges her Purse First.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SuperSpiff posted:

They could take a note from Drag Race: Thailand and have a two episode-long commercial.

Like when they did Absolut commercials in season 2? It's at least charmingly self-serving when they're advertising Ru's products, but Jeffrey Moran showing up was never a great sign.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

esperterra posted:

lmfao Robbie Turner and her continuous weird lies are comedy gold

Oh man, were there others besides the fake Uber crash? :allears:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Voted Vanjie for lifting spirits without even being there.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I mean, I wasn't too into her, but how much of a political message could she really squeeze into most of the challenges and runways?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

graynull posted:

On the list of absolutely impossible, pie-in-the-sky, never going to happen shocking twists for an All Stars series... I'd actually like to see RuPaul be the 10th queen and compete in her own competition. Maybe replace her as judge with winners from past seasons. Again, it'll never happen but it's fun to imagine.

Ru has been very clear that only Judy can judge her :colbert:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's been a minute since I watched DRT; do any of the contestants have conversational English besides Jaja?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jr. posted:

Rumposting got me in trouble last time, but I'm better now, I swear.

DRT is Drag Race Thailand, right? I've been meaning to check it out. I've got it slotted in my weekday-watching schedule. I'm totally expecting a super glamorous Thai RuPaul to host. I've burned through nearly all of the other WoW Presents shows, and unless I've terribly misjudged how many people on SA speak Thai, looks like it's subbed/dubbed in a language I can handle. Onward to new adventures!

Yeah, Drag Race Thailand. It's got two hosts who are both pretty great. The unofficial subs included a lot of notes to explain everything from Thai customs to local celebrities to hard-to-translate wordplay. I haven't seen the official subs, so I don't know if as much effort went into them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ICHIBAHN posted:

Talk a little more about Ru's sobriety please. I'm new to RPDR and Paul in general. I'm in love.

His name isn't Ru Paul. RuPaul is his first name.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

warez posted:

There was a fantastic article by Rich Juzwiak titled “The Tao of Ru” where he spent a week with her that talked about it in more detail but it’s been scrubbed from the web I think :(

I haven't found the article yet, but these bits that didn't make it into the article are still out there.

In 2012 RuPaul Charles posted:

"[Cameras] don't allow me to be really uninhibited and have a good time. I have to think about, 'Oh, this poo poo's gonna end up on YouTube.' It's crazy. Like the Michael Richards thing. He was in a fuckin' comedy club. If people heard some of the things I say in the right setting... I say everything, because it's all bullshit. People take things too loving seriously. If you get offended by bullshit, what you're offended by is the least of your problems."
:stare:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Even if her plan had worked perfectly, it would have been completely underwhelming. Dunno what she was thinking, but she did a pretty great job at damage control afterwards, at least.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

curiousTerminal posted:

even back to its etymological root of "dressed as a girl"

That's unlikely to be the actual origin in any case; acronyms weren't much of a thing before the 20th century (military jargon was a driving factor, if I recall correctly), and DrAG is probably in the same pile as stuff like Fornication Under Consent of the King. I haven't done a deep dive, but other suggested etymologies include
  • Theater slang, from the feeling of a skirt dragging on the ground
  • Derived from the Yiddish trogn, "to wear"
  • Derived from the Romani daraka, "skirt"
None of these seem particularly well-attested either, though, so v:confused:v

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Whalley posted:

how is that any different from literally 90% of fan favorites other than "her demeanor made my skin crawl"

I mean, charisma is explicitly one of the judging criteria, so I can't get too mad about someone getting by on charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

big dyke energy posted:

Real cool comments on that. Don't know why I always have to loving click through and read twitter threads, I will never learn.

I guess I set my expectations too high/low, because I was hoping for "Eureka did 9/11" or something.

• Locked thread