Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is out now! Sequel to the ambitious yet tedious Level-5/Studio Ghibli collaboration. Almost no links to the first game, either in gameplay or in story, so don't worry and just buy it, because it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tips & Tricks - ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL (thanks CJayC)

- Check your inventory often. The game loves to vomit items at you, and regular random enemies can drop exceptionally great weapons, and you may miss the message in all the chaos.

- Don't ignore the Battle Template. You get a lot of BP and the toggles which allow you to increase XP/Gold/Rare Drops are cheap to get. Prioritize these! Against the tougher Bounty enemies, the damage boost you can get from putting points into Type is quite significant as well.

- Generally don't bother using a skill unless you've got full Zing. And don't be shy about using them to make random encounters go quickly. Evan and Roland both start with a skill that can clear an entire encounter if used at full Zing that only costs 1 MP, so use this.

- Pick up items on the battlefield. In the overworld battles, it's not guaranteed that all the items on the ground will pop out for you to take, and you get a brief window after the Victory pose to run around, so grab what you can just to be safe.

- Once you get your Kingdom, a ton of sidequests will open up for you to get new unique Citizens. Check everywhere you've been for people to enslave in your utopian regime.

- Make sure you build the specific buildings they want (such as the Cooking area for the Cook you meet early on)

- For base building you might want to focus on the more unique utility buildings first. Researching spells for instance is getting you stuff that can't be acquired any other way. I've been totally neglecting weapons and armor so far since drops have kept me well equipped to this point.

...more to come, post anything you've got in the thread

precision fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 25, 2018

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I've played about an hour after seeing the giant bomb quick look and another video and I'm really liking it. I couldn't get into the first game at all because the combat was clunky and boring, despite how charming the game looked. But this one is both charming and has fun combat. Feels like Eternal Sonata (that jrpg with Chopin in it) or a Tales game with the combat.

Also the game starts out with the president of what looks like the United States of Union getting nuked so hard on his drive to the city that he ends up in the kingdom of Ding Dong Dell so he can shoot his pistol at a rat knight that's attacking catboy King which is a great concept IMO.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I've played about an hour after seeing the giant bomb quick look and another video and I'm really liking it. I couldn't get into the first game at all because the combat was clunky and boring, despite how charming the game looked. But this one is both charming and has fun combat. Feels like Eternal Sonata (that jrpg with Chopin in it) or a Tales game with the combat.

Also the game starts out with the president of what looks like the United States of Union getting nuked so hard on his drive to the city that he ends up in the kingdom of Ding Dong Dell so he can shoot his pistol at a rat knight that's attacking catboy King which is a great concept IMO.

yeah. its weird but charming game. its well voice acting and story charms even my cynical good heart. i like all the weirdly dark stuff in in too. like the a palace coup that kills most of the palace and blowing the eye out of mouse darth vader/devient art monstrosties head. also lofty looks like mutated fetal Lisa Simpson.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im pretty sure i want this game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

i usually hate/dislike JRPGs but i love this one so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really appreciate that random battles don't have any load time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Really Pants posted:

I really appreciate that random battles don't have any load time.

Yeah the presentation does so many things right

Like how NPC speech balloons turn grey so you know you've heard all they have to say

The loot system is really addictive and pushes my lizard brain buttons hard. Also exploring the overworld is a joy and so pretty

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i usually hate/dislike JRPGs but i love this one so far.

Ive been really itching for a wholesome jrpg that doesn't offend my adult sensibilities and this game looks exactly like what I've been looking for

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Yeah, I picked it up on Steam and i'm wondering if I should return it or not. I don't like Japanese animes, but I have played JRPGs in the past. I'm getting the sense its going full anime with these "Hinkleberries" or whatever the fucks they are called.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wasn’t expecting the first scene to be a us-like city getting loving nuked

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Torgo2727 posted:

Yeah, I picked it up on Steam and i'm wondering if I should return it or not. I don't like Japanese animes, but I have played JRPGs in the past. I'm getting the sense its going full anime with these "Hinkleberries" or whatever the fucks they are called.

Ive been playing it for like 5 hours and so far its more fairytale than strictly anime. You know a fairytale where the president of the united states gets warped into a fantasy land and he shoots a rat in the face with his handgun 5 seconds after he sees it.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Basically, my main concern is this: "Will I be cringing when I play this video game?" I don't like cringing when I play video games.

\/ Will do.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 24, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If cute characters is your low bar of "full anime," you should leave a negative review and return the game ASAP.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Imo it is not cringey, it's weird, clearly going for a studio ghibli vibe despite them not being involved this time

Though it was funny that the dramatic tension of one scene is hilariously broken due to the character's name

NELLAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Though hell that could have been intentional, the game has literal mouse Darth Vader

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Torgo2727 posted:

Higgledies own actually

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not sure if I understand the flow of combat. Like nothing has hit stun or hit sparks so if I start hitting a enemy it just super armors and hits me back. I haven't died yet and I'm still in the escape scene from chapter 1 but it's kind of confusing. I know there's a block so does the game just expect me to do nothing but counter?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How often are enemies going shiny for you? I've only ever seen it once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've just been mashing buttons and spamming the spinny skill and using spells against flying/big dudes and haven't needed to block much. Dodge rolling is real useful though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fridge corn posted:

Ive been really itching for a wholesome jrpg that doesn't offend my adult sensibilities and this game looks exactly like what I've been looking for

I've heard that it gets a bit earnest and almost saccharine at points but that's pure hearsay on my part

Getting loaded in soon as the download finishes, myself, looking forward to it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

fridge corn posted:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Everything about Roland is incredible. What the gently caress.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ok yeah any game that starts with that cutscene in the first 15 minutes has my attention :stare:

So Zing, I gather it builds up faster on inactive weapons, right? So you want to switch basically when you use a skill?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ciaphas posted:

Ok yeah any game that starts with that cutscene in the first 15 minutes has my attention :stare:

So Zing, I gather it builds up faster on inactive weapons, right? So you want to switch basically when you use a skill?

Switching weapons is your main damage source.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

Switching weapons is your main damage source.

Does Zing actually affect damage? I was operating under the assumption that literally all Zing is for, is that if it's at 100% when you use a skill, you use a way better version of that skill, so you want to constantly keep as many 100% weapons in reserve as possible so you can unleash insane combos by doing 2 or 3 enhanced skills in a row. The game definitely implies that to be the case, there's a popup that tells you to keep 100% weapons in reserve.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
How anime is this game?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oriental Hugs posted:

How anime is this game?

depends what you consider anime. its very studio ghibli. its not big titties and weird school girl poo poo. its weird and charming though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oriental Hugs posted:

How anime is this game?

"Anime" without qualification is one hell of a lovely descriptor, mate

that said as of finishing chapter 1 it's very fairy-tale (and one leaning sliiiightly brothers grimm at that)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can already tell Lofty's going to be loving badass

Oriental Hugs posted:

How anime is this game?

more than Dark Souls, but less than The Witcher

3 1/2 hours in so far and there have been absolutely no cringey tropes to speak of

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 24, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My only knock on the game so far is how illegible it can be at times. In combat text shows up in the tiniest font for about 5 seconds, the equipment stats are listed in pale tan on a yellow-green background.

As for the anime factor, I'm honestly getting more of a 80's Don Bluth cartoon movie vibe than straight up anime.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Just did my first skirmish and loving everything about the game so far.
I get the impression from the overall presentation that it's just trying to be a very wholesome cartoon adventure in a ghibli-esque fantasy land. 'Higgledy Piggledies' and all that ilk is so alarmingly British Kid's Show I find it funny to see people read it as ~Anime.~

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Put in three hours tonight, game is fun so far! I like just running around the open world and killing monsters and grinding.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FauxLeather posted:

Just did my first skirmish and loving everything about the game so far.
I get the impression from the overall presentation that it's just trying to be a very wholesome cartoon adventure in a ghibli-esque fantasy land. 'Higgledy Piggledies' and all that ilk is so alarmingly British Kid's Show I find it funny to see people read it as ~Anime.~

Yeah this game is Not Anime. It's Redwall for children. I know Redwall is already for children, but imagine even more for children than that. Like...somewhere in between Redwall and Peppa Pig. Actually, scratch the Redwall comparison, Ni No Kuni is like if Peppa Pig had a gun.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's super anime. The Ghibli aesthetic, and the "Japanese take on European fantasy" aesthetic are both very distinctive and particular. It's that

But anime is good though, so :shrug:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

icantfindaname posted:

It's super anime. The Ghibli aesthetic, and the "Japanese take on European fantasy" aesthetic are both very distinctive and particular. It's that

The visuals are not the thing people are worried about when people say they're worried about something being Anime

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

this right here is why

Ciaphas posted:

"Anime" without qualification is one hell of a lovely descriptor, mate

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The visuals are not the thing people are worried about when people say they're worried about something being Anime

The aesthetic, visual and nonvisual, is what people mean by "anime" most times I've seen it

There are the people who freak out about TROPES!!!!! but those people are bad. And anyways this game is stuffed full of Ghibli/Japanese Euro Fantasy tropes, so I hope those people play this just so they get mad

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 24, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
people worried about catboys itt

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

icantfindaname posted:

The general aesthetic is what people mean by "anime" most times I've seen it

There are the people who freak out about TROPES!!!!! but those people are bad. And anyways this game is stuffed full of Ghibli/Japanese Euro Fantasy tropes, so I hope those people play this just so they get mad

Between this and the original version of your post where you equated not liking anime to racism, I'm not sure this is even worth explaining, but generally when people ask if something is Anime, they're asking if it's a character-centric game where all the characters fit into archetypes that have already been done to death so everything feels like territory that's already been visited a million times.

If people wanted to know if the visuals were anime-style, they could just...look. With their eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Between this and the original version of your post where you equated not liking anime to racism, I'm not sure this is even worth explaining, but generally when people ask if something is Anime, they're asking if it's a character-centric game where all the characters fit into archetypes that have already been done to death so everything feels like territory that's already been visited a million times.

If people wanted to know if the visuals were anime-style, they could just...look. With their eyes.

So this game is Anime then, in that the plot, characters, tone, aesthetic, etc, all fit a Ghibli mold that's 40+ years old at this point

• Locked thread