Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just got the zeppelin, I've been mostly ignoring the skirmishes and purple monsters until now figuring I'd just come back when I had access to the entire map. Can you actually clear all of these off the map or are they just bonus things to do that repopulate as quickly as you fight them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can clear all the tainted monsters. There should be a whole list of them in your almanac with levels and location names. Skirmishes are repeatable, and unfortunately you just have to track down yourself.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 12, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh great, thats far more exciting than the alternative. Time to go cleanse the world for peace.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just spent about 30 mins fighting a tainted sporespew slightly underleveled and boy if that didn't expose every single flaw in the battle system that usually doesn't matter. The targeting system is infuriatingly hard to work, and autotarget is completely unreliable when there's multiple targets. The dodge is hard to tell when you're invincible exactly, and attack timings aren't always very clearly indicated, resulting in hits when it really looks like they shouldn't have happened. That enemy has a gimmick where you have to interrupt its healing and i just was not able to do it with my damage combined with these problems.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I just spent about 30 mins fighting a tainted sporespew slightly underleveled and boy if that didn't expose every single flaw in the battle system that usually doesn't matter. The targeting system is infuriatingly hard to work, and autotarget is completely unreliable when there's multiple targets. The dodge is hard to tell when you're invincible exactly, and attack timings aren't always very clearly indicated, resulting in hits when it really looks like they shouldn't have happened. That enemy has a gimmick where you have to interrupt its healing and i just was not able to do it with my damage combined with these problems.

I think part of the reason most of the game is so easy might be because the combat system has some real, real nasty flaws that come out when things get really difficult.

One example I ran into was the big ogre-type monster, like the one Evan has to fight before getting Lofty. That monster has a huge flying leap attack with little wind-up and a massive hit box. If he flies anywhere near you, you get hit, even if his model was nowhere close to touching you. When you're fighting the one Evan has to solo, it's no problem because he does chip damage anyway. Later on, there's a tainted version that can knock off about 50% of your HP if you're around equally leveled and it's infuriating.

I have a lot of praise for the game, but god drat if the combat system isn't extremely broken. Combine that with the lack of weapon variety, the really small number of spells shared among the characters, and how similar a lot of characters' special attacks end up being and it's just... it's just not good.

Which is a shame because they actually did a good job making it feel good to play. Like the core movement and attacking all feel great, everything looks fantastic, the higgledies are cute and fun to use, all of that. But everything beyond those core systems just falls apart if the game puts up even the slightest resistance and you end up getting slapped around by phantom hitboxes while having little variety in how you play based on who you control.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My favourite part of the combat system are the skills which last for 30 seconds of you flaling your weapon about, have no way of cancelling and offer no invincibility frames.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sakurazuka posted:

My favourite part of the combat system are the skills which last for 30 seconds of you flaling your weapon about, have no way of cancelling and offer no invincibility frames.

Even the normal attacks have a delay, noticeably past their animation frames, before you can dodge. The first tainted I fought was pretty much trading for 1/3 of my life every time I attacked. There wasn't any risk/reward - you were automatically going to take damage if you attacked so just burn healing items and make sure to only get hit once per cycle. All that seems to really matter is whether or not you can handle the incoming damage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Some enemies are better or worse about that. The slimes are the worst, they have instant attacks they bust out whenever they feel like.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did the story parts of Chapter 5 last night and god drat that was a fun dungeon and I was not expecting the boss to be a riff on NieR: Automata

honestly i keep liking the game more and more. the fifth party member is insanely fun to control

i'm also weirdly addicted to the skirmishes even though they're dead simple

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Skirmish battles: So if I do them once I can redo them on hardmode for better rewards, if I beat them on hardmode will they stop showing up? I don't like seeing all these flags on my map, they make me feel unclean.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Agent355 posted:

Skirmish battles: So if I do them once I can redo them on hardmode for better rewards, if I beat them on hardmode will they stop showing up? I don't like seeing all these flags on my map, they make me feel unclean.

They never go away.
Also the level recommendations are nonsense, I did a level 55 one when my units are at most level 30. I do hate that they never go away, I'd have much preferred them to be like the tainted monsters. Make it so the 4 ones that are "test your army against [city]!" stay so you have places to level and make all the others go away, that'd be fine.

To the person who mentioned archers - I never use the archer or mage units. Melee is king and using what the enemy is weak against is the most important part of the battles.

Amppelix posted:

Some enemies are better or worse about that. The slimes are the worst, they have instant attacks they bust out whenever they feel like.

When I got to broadleaf I was suddenly getting knocked around loads because of all the slimes there. Every other monster is totally fine. The slime tainted monsters are a bastard to kill as well.

Plus, gently caress the stupid factory in broadleaf. Quite a few quests send you back and having to mess about with the platforms again (not always, but sometimes) is annoying as gently caress.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 13, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm at the end of the story and having a hard time wrapping my head around the design goals for the combat system. The more I think about it, the less the different systems make sense together. I still can't think of a good reason for having three weapon slots if elemental resistances don't matter as much as raw attack power and each character only has one weapon type. Zing and MP play weirdly together. Ranged attacks costing MP (and melee attacks refilling MP) means that you can't really design a "mage" character--if a character's going to rely on spells, they need to be good enough in melee to get in there and regain their MP. Having only three weapon types feels really weird when there's all this random loot being flung at you. It makes the characters feel really samey to control, with the exception of Leander, whose special dodge sets him apart from Tani.

There's also a real lack of interesting spells and skills. There's a really small number of spells and most of them are shared between characters. And character-specific weapon skills are pretty samey, too--Evan's Cut and Thrust is almost identical to Tani's Windwhirl, for example. On top of that, any skill that roots you in place for too long ends up being useless in any challenging fight, so you're probably just going to spam melee and ranged attacks, or maybe Gorgon's Needle if you're controlling Leander.

There are definitely good things here--the overall feeling of combat is quite good, everything is animated beautifully, the higgledies are fun and varied, and the Tactic Tweaker is a neat idea (though it stumbles a bit when the player doesn't have a chance to prepare ahead of time). But the rest of the combat system just feels like they threw a bunch of ideas together, couldn't make them really click, and just left them in anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Going by the combat system in the previous game, seems like in general they have trouble with this in Ni No Kuni. This is still about ten times better than that though, so maybe Ni No Kuni 3 will finally have a good battle system.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty sure the goal was play whoever you want press whatever you want you will succeed - you just have to press something though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, I'm not asking for Devil May Cry here. I don't think I'm even asking for Tales. Just that if I'm going to spend this much time in combat, some variety would be nice.

I also probably go in too far on "design by subtraction." Like if "you can equip three weapons and switch between them in combat" isn't actually accomplishing anything, I'd rather remove it than leave it in. You could accomplish exactly what it does now by just making a single Zing meter separated into three segments.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly love the combat system

Taear posted:

They never go away.
Also the level recommendations are nonsense, I did a level 55 one when my units are at most level 30.

Yeah and yet the one that says it's recommended level is 19 that's right next to Evermore, I still can't clear it and my army dudes are all like level 24. Meanwhile I did a recommended level 20 one when they were level 17

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

Yeah and yet the one that says it's recommended level is 19 that's right next to Evermore, I still can't clear it and my army dudes are all like level 24.

If that's Invaders in Evermore III, bring Moggie May and Oz to put down some extra siege towers on your flanks. bish bash bosh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Really Pants posted:

If that's Invaders in Evermore III, bring Moggie May and Oz to put down some extra siege towers on your flanks. bish bash bosh

Nah it's the Tyrant of the Plains, I think? It's a really long multi-stage fight that's real easy until the very end, at which point you have to fight like 10 armies in the midst of a bunch of cannon towers and I always end up losing right at the end because I'm out of Might.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't see that one anywhere :saddowns: So for the time being my guess is: try Brooke, Phorkys, Chip, and Glaucus if you've got them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh it's linked to a sidequest so it probably disappeared after you cleared it the first time, or you never got the quest. You have to kill an angry goblin named TYRAN

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh, I didn't realize sidequest skirmishes were one time only. That's a tiny bit disappointing. But yeah, those four should help you spend a lot less might on reinforcements.

and Tyran isn't a goblin, he's a bogan

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've only just started playing, and I'm making my way through Cloudcoil Canyon. Is it just me, or is the area music entirely inappropriate? It's not bad, it's just...far too dramatic, tension-building, and explosive for a simple jaunt.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Pyroclastic posted:

I've only just started playing, and I'm making my way through Cloudcoil Canyon. Is it just me, or is the area music entirely inappropriate? It's not bad, it's just...far too dramatic, tension-building, and explosive for a simple jaunt.

It's like that throughout the game.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

the 10 total enemies in the game, the eastern continent full of nothing but copy paste caves but still takes up half the map, the absolutely nothing story that's just a sequence of fetch quests. At least the combat is pretty fun.

lmao seriously, poo poo is so lazy

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

precision posted:

Oh it's linked to a sidequest so it probably disappeared after you cleared it the first time, or you never got the quest. You have to kill an angry goblin named TYRAN

That was the only skirmish I had any problem with at all. Have you bought all of the boosts? With those and Shock Tactics I managed to win.

I'm on Chapter 9 and I've just got the cup that's really a sword. I really don't understand why it's a cup. If it was hidden in plain sight I would have understood it but hiding it as a cup in a shrine that's hidden anyway is just nonsensical.

Jack Daniels posted:

lmao seriously, poo poo is so lazy

The lack of monster variety is so boring and poo poo. The fact that there's 3 models of robot and they only appear in Broadleaf is one of the strangest parts of it.
Especially when you go to Abyss. Having it be the Grimchilla and etc in there was easily the laziest part of the game. It just absolutely doesn't fit. Why does Broadleaf get their own enemies but nowhere else does? Not even actually being in the sea!

It goes alongside the boat having loads of upgrades when you only use it for maybe 10 hours of playtime.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How do they have little variety in enemies after coming from the 150 pokemon in NNK1

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
battles are over so fast that 34 hours in i don't mind the lack of enemy variety, in fact i kind of didn't even notice it until this thread started talking about it

the boss battles are really good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've probably already said it before but given all the half-baked ideas and areas that seem like there should be more to it, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't supposed to be a much larger game at some point that ended up being cut down due to production problems.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Taear posted:

I'm on Chapter 9 and

I think it's a minor arcana reference particularly given that it was a wand in the first game

Sakurazuka posted:

I've probably already said it before but given all the half-baked ideas and areas that seem like there should be more to it, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't supposed to be a much larger game at some point that ended up being cut down due to production problems.

I'm wondering what the DLC is going to consist of, and whether it has any chance of salvaging some of the missed opportunities.

Probably not, but hey I'll hold out hope. I mean the game definitely sets up some weird story stuff to resolve in it, but I guess we'll see.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 14, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

precision posted:

battles are over so fast that 34 hours in i don't mind the lack of enemy variety, in fact i kind of didn't even notice it until this thread started talking about it

the boss battles are really good

I'm glad they're fast but to me a big part of a game is enemy variety and it's...jarring to me if the enemies don't fit the area. Fighting the Grimchilla across the entire world just seems really stupid.

Sakurazuka posted:

Like I said earlier I'm convinced the robots in Broadleaf show this off. Why are there specific baddies with 4 models there and only there but no other specific baddies anywhere else?
As though they'd finished modelling them and realised "Holy gently caress we've run out of time".

LostRook posted:

I think it's a minor arcana reference particularly given that it was a wand in the first game

Ah okay. I've never played the first one because it's not on the PC.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
The contrast between the kingmaker battles which are incredibly fun and the random battles which felt extremely same-y (the Broadleaf dungeon was the first time I really felt like I had to pay attention to the battle system just because I was so underleveled) is striking. Still, its so satisfying and non-sloggish that I don't mind *too* much.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

dukerson posted:

The contrast between the kingmaker battles which are incredibly fun and the random battles which felt extremely same-y (the Broadleaf dungeon was the first time I really felt like I had to pay attention to the battle system just because I was so underleveled) is striking. Still, its so satisfying and non-sloggish that I don't mind *too* much.

I'd say it's the opposite for me - the Kingmaker battles are annoying because it highlights how stupid it is. I'm a lot higher level most of the time and I'm just sort of running about until it lands/stops doing it's thing so I can smack it around a bit more.
They feel artificially long.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I absolutely love the plot of chapter 7 with the roland double agent thing. But man all the little gadgets in this chapter just come out of nowhere. They are all absolutely fantastic but man what a weird series of non-sequiturs.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 14, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I beat the game, it was a good game

Dunno what y'all are complaining about with feeling unfinished, really. Sure, there's some underused areas but the game felt like a very complete package to me. I know the feeling I get when it seems like a game has a hole left in it and I didn't get that at all. Not a flawless game by any means but the only time I didn't enjoy it was that time I beat my head against the stupid mushroom for 30 minutes and discovered the battle system comes apart at the seams if you push it.

Oh yeah, and now time to do all the rest of the poo poo I didn't do. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do everything in this game.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I liked the story in the first more and I gotta say my little buddy fixed in murderface did kind of wear on me. But I learned that there are about 84 variants in pronouncing crikey so it’s a wash I guess.

I didn’t feel like putting it down after the story and moved on to killing all the tainted monsters and wrapping dream door and quests. There’s easily like 20 hours of postgame before you end up doing any final dungeon grinding and I bet that’s optional - I just want to gear my guys with the legendary stuff I unlocked.

There’s so many mechanisms in the game that I feel that something happened in late production where they were told they had to make the storyline beatable by just leveling and nothing else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

Dunno what y'all are complaining about with feeling unfinished, really. Sure, there's some underused areas but the game felt like a very complete package to me. I know the feeling I get when it seems like a game has a hole left in it and I didn't get that at all. Not a flawless game by any means but the only time I didn't enjoy it was that time I beat my head against the stupid mushroom for 30 minutes and discovered the battle system comes apart at the seams if you push it.

Oh yeah, and now time to do all the rest of the poo poo I didn't do. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do everything in this game.

Yeah I don't get the "unfinished" feeling yet (chapter 6), I think what some are feeling as unfinished were deliberate design decisions. The lack of enemy variety goes along with the Battle Template only having 6 enemy types on it. The one continent having less stuff than the other seems like a pretty important baked-in part of the lore, not an "oh poo poo we're out of time" situation.

If they had run out of money or time I don't think the game's general systems would be as polished and sleek as they are.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There seems to be alot of underutilized space. More fighting than enemy types, more map space than things to put in it. It doesn't feel rushed but it does feel like there was more that was supposed to be in that ended up getting cut.

Game is still good tho.

E: also I don't find lofty as bad as you lot seem to. He's not good but I just came off Okami HD and he's no Issun.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 15, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Amppelix posted:

OK, but explain the Hydropolis time loop tho.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think the emptier continent will probably be the dlc area?

Infinity Gaia posted:

they are in a time loop but she isn't going to renew the spell the next time it comes up, because of this they lift the conditions and every one is free to do whatever they want. How they got as far as they did without an accident is anyone's guess!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well that's just some good old-fashioned bad writing right there. Thinking about it gave me a headache so I just actively ignored it whenever it came up. It works when you only consider broad strokes.

• Locked thread