Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh god lofty

yeah, i know, he is kinda cute but he looks like melted half formed fetus of lisa simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

his boogers are stronger than libertarianism

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Having a good lol at all the old men scared of teh animes itt

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Really Pants posted:

his boogers are stronger than libertarianism

Truly the hero we need right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I haven't met him yet but gamestop gave me a keychain of him. The keychain is the size of a book for some reason and I have no idea who the hell level-5 thinks is going to use this thing over here.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

So I went ahead and bought the PC version. It runs great. a solid 60 fps on high settings even though I don't have a PC at recommended specs.

I really like that one guy has a gun in this fantasy world just running around blasting fools.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I really like that one guy has a gun in this fantasy world just running around blasting fools.

where does he get his bullets from?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

fridge corn posted:

At one point he's like I'm almost out of ammo and some chick is like silly bitch we have infinite ammo here

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

fridge corn posted:

A magic bracelet, so common they're handed out like candy, that refills whatever ammo your ranged weapon uses.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

headband technology has expanded so fast

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh god lofty

Best video game character ever.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
i just killed the Tainted(? I forget what term the game uses for the difficult monsters marked in purple on the map) Goo four times before it actually registered. There's no way you actually have to fight these things multiple times, right? This felt like a weird glitch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coldforge posted:

A magic bracelet, so common they're handed out like candy, that refills whatever ammo your ranged weapon uses.

This is brilliant.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they bent the knee to catboy tommen who's entire goal sounds like the plan of hosed up villain. they will be his enforcers to make sure "everyone lives happily ever after".

they have the us president on their side, they're gonna invade liberate the gently caress outta the world

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Agean90 posted:

they have the us president on their side, they're gonna invade liberate the gently caress outta the world

hell yeah. honestly its the most fun i have had with an RPG in while. i like how its like an old 80s cartoon movie where they arnt afraid to say "kill" and show death. i mean the loving pirates talk about how the dash peoples heads open. and the president domes a couple people with his 9mm.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Roland 2020

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I love to imagine their thought process, circa 2015?ish.

Production lead: "We need to bring someone over from our universe, someone who can mentor the young king in the ways of leadership and nation-building. But someone who also carries around a loaded gun at all times and is tantamount to an action hero. Is there anyone in the world today who, somehow, someway, would represent these two ideas and still remain logically consistent?"

Everyone together: "THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Coldforge posted:

"We need to bring someone over from our universe, someone who can mentor the young king in the ways of leadership and nation-building. But someone who also carries around a loaded gun at all times and is tantamount to an action hero. Is there anyone in the world today who, somehow, someway, would represent these two ideas and still remain logically consistent?

THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA!"

yeah :(

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Coldforge posted:

Production lead: "We need to bring someone over from our universe, someone who can mentor the young king in the ways of leadership and nation-building. But someone who also carries around a loaded gun at all times and is tantamount to an action hero. Is there anyone in the world today who, somehow, someway, would represent these two ideas and still remain logically consistent?"

Everyone together: "THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA!"

Quiet voice in the back (with the money): "Ok, but make him white."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh man, the kingmaker's trial of knowledge was absurdly annoying. It wasn't difficult, persay, but figuring out what the heck the game wanted me to do with the dumb statues rotating took me way longer than it should've and left me not wanting to play anymore.

I actually really liked that part (Trial of Knowledge)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coldforge posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Already Lofty is good but he is 100x better if you mentally insert what they clearly wanted him to say when he says 'flip!' in that... Welsh?... accent of his

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Does the combat get more involved eventually? I just finished the main part of the Goldpaw story and every battle has just been mashing buttons and getting by without issue. There are so many effects and sparks going off during combat that I can't see if the enemy is attacking so I never block and I rarely use the spells because mashing attack kills everything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh no, now I'm at the part of RPGs that I always hate: picking which party member gets to sit out of combat and lose experience :ohdear:

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Ciaphas posted:

Oh no, now I'm at the part of RPGs that I always hate: picking which party member gets to sit out of combat and lose experience :ohdear:

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The hammer dude's been out of my party ever since I got him and he still gets the exp to keep his level equal to my main crew.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure nonparty members get full XP yeah. I've been using Evan instead of Roland ever since I got the fourth party member and he's still a few levels ahead of Tani.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Overbite posted:

Does the combat get more involved eventually? I just finished the main part of the Goldpaw story and every battle has just been mashing buttons and getting by without issue. There are so many effects and sparks going off during combat that I can't see if the enemy is attacking so I never block and I rarely use the spells because mashing attack kills everything.

There's actually a lot to the combat, but the game is pretty easy so it's easy to get by without using it. The Higgledy attacks are actually pretty powerful (every once in a while, a bunch of them will group up and prompt you to hit the use button, and do poo poo like pull out giant cannons and poo poo), and switching between weapons with 100% zing to use skills can also increase your damage output substantially.

I think it's a valid criticism of the game that they didn't include a hard mode or something. But I also don't have a problem with it being easy given the context. Maybe it'll get harder later but otherwise my experience has been the same as yours through Goldpaw.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The optional monsters are pretty tough

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

There's actually a lot to the combat, but the game is pretty easy so it's easy to get by without using it. The Higgledy attacks are actually pretty powerful (every once in a while, a bunch of them will group up and prompt you to hit the use button, and do poo poo like pull out giant cannons and poo poo), and switching between weapons with 100% zing to use skills can also increase your damage output substantially.

I think it's a valid criticism of the game that they didn't include a hard mode or something. But I also don't have a problem with it being easy given the context. Maybe it'll get harder later but otherwise my experience has been the same as yours through Goldpaw.

Ditto, and I get the sense the main game is going to be this sort of difficulty all the way through, not counting any possible postgame.

But I'm ok with that, not all games need to be challenging :shobon:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'd like there to be some challenge at least, so I have to think about what I'm doing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I do not get whatever this higglythings are. The text is way too small and I feel like a moron because it all sailed over my head outside "push button they shoot canon at flying jerks or whoever"

Like I got a guy from a rock and he was at 0 (whatever that means). Now he's at 4 and I haven't really done anything nor do I know what that means aside from just assuming it means there's 4 in that squad. Found a darkboy and got 6 with him and ???.

Was told I could hold a button down when using skills and they'd power it up but I hold it down and nothing really happens except I wind up getting walloped.

Everything else is pretty fun but boy I don't get this weirdo mechanic.

So here's how they work: Each hero higgledy has a certain number of followers it can summon. You can see that clearly listed on their stat screen. For powering up skills it's only those followers, not the heros, that matter, but you can combine followers of the same type from multiple heroes.

So for example, take Roland's first skill. It requires 4 non-elemental higgledies. Your starting non elemental higgledy only has 3 followers, so you can't power it up. His second skill however requires 4 wind higgledies, and your first wind hero has 4 followers, so you can power up his second skill. To do so, you need to run over to the higgledies and hold down the skill button so he sucks them up. A little circular bar around the skill will fill up, and when you've sucked up the right number of them the symbol changes so you know you can let go and use the powered up skill.

Here's the important bit though - at least for these first levels of powered up skills, the ones made from absorbing higgledies are exactly the same as using the skill with 100% zing. So for now at least, the higgledies are just providing you a way to use your better skill without needing the zing. The skills have two slots under them though so I suspect eventually you unlock even stronger versions of them that can only be activated by sucking up large numbers of them.

Aside from that, you can mostly just leave them to their own devices. They'll attack using their attack stat on their own, and sometimes heal or buff you based on what skills they have. Keep an eye out for them wanting to use special skills and stock your party with ones you like. There's definitely going to be more to them as the game goes on, but for now they're pretty much just a bonus.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overbite posted:

I'd like there to be some challenge at least, so I have to think about what I'm doing

fight things with orange names

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who're people using for their battle characters? I'm at the wyvern place and so far it looks like POTUS is AoE focused and anime girlking is more single target?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, I know the vast majority of people interested in this game are going to be playing in PS4, but drat, this game seems like a complete flop on the PC. Hovering around 10k copies sold on Steam so far.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
steam is only for hardcore pc gamers who like games that feel like open betas with limited saves and broken mechanics

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
JRPGs on steam need to have huge titties and nude patches, this has neither (at least that I've seen). So of course it's gonna be a flop.

And I'm only basing this on those Sengran Kagura games that are always in the first couple pages of Top Sellers.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

how often does the US president having a handgun come up in the story? because if he just blasts bad dudes consistently in cut scenes i will probably buy this game.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 24, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

precision posted:

I actually really liked that part (Trial of Knowledge)

Hmm, it definitely might just be me then, but I had a lot of trouble with parts of it; remembering which way the darn lanterns were supposed to rotate, for instance, just turned into rote trial and error for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

how often does the US president having a handgun come up in the story? because if he just blasts bad dudes consistently in cut scenes i will probably buy this game.

The handgun gets immediately replaced by the guns that this world has dropped by the first level 3 monsters on the overworld

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, it definitely might just be me then, but I had a lot of trouble with parts of it; remembering which way the darn lanterns were supposed to rotate, for instance, just turned into rote trial and error for me.

The puzzle tells you exactly which way everything is supposed to be facing though. I found it a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

The handgun gets immediately replaced by the guns that this world has dropped by the first level 3 monsters on the overworld

The puzzle tells you exactly which way everything is supposed to be facing though. I found it a lot of fun.

Speaking of which, seems like there is a big range in terms of what each monster can drop. I think my 3rd random battle on the field I got a purple gun drop for Roland, and I still have not found anything better like 6 hours later.

• Locked thread