Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish

I'll head to the eating cave with you - I want to see this thing through just the same. However, I'm not ready to die for this guy - if it's too hot we'll need to retreat and get help. I'd like to avoid... that - *motions towards Alwyn's back*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


"Alright then. Better gather the party before venturing forth."

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE


Hymn gathers with the rest of the party, doing his best to mimic the few words he heard the Goblin say.
"Really wish I spoke Goblin," he spoke in the goblins voice, "Might do us better than...this."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Tharr, son of Undarth, Barbarian

Tharr shrugs, and turns toward the wagon, ď let me get my pack then, canít say I like to think of anyone ending up in an eating cave. ď

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012


Urd stood at the trailhead ready to track or follow as the need arises. His tail flicked back and forth.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

"Hopefully we can prevent any more people from being eaten in that cave, if that's what's happening. I'll take the lead with Urd and keep an eye out."

Unless someone objects, Trixine will apprehend the captured goblin, secure them with manacles and rope, and give the prisoner to someone further back in the formation.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"Where is this eating cave? Where is King Grol? Gundren is a wealthy man, surely he'll help you if we can find him before he gets there."

When Thremish asks a few more questions of the goblin it responds. When asked about where King Grol he mentions a castle and gives directions that sounds like somewhere between 15 and 25 miles to the northeast from the eating cave. The directions are basic and not super detailed or good, but you could probably find the place with enough time.

He gives directions to the eating cave, letting slip that the path is guarded by traps. He seems willing to help the party, though that may change if he is all tied up and mistreated.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

Trixine ceases to make moves towards manacling and goes straight to trap-checking on the path ahead.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE


Hymn rubbed his cheek as he Hmm'd at the goblin.
"Let's keep him on a lead...hands free, fed, treated well-enough...but please understand that we can not risk you running off. But..." Hymn holds his Holy symbol up, "You have my word as a Cleric of Melil and Worshipper of the Sun, no undue harm will come to you."

Hymn made his way to the middle of the party, figuring his healing would be best where it was easy to get to anyone than the front or back where he'd be struggling to reach the other side.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

Tharr leads the oxen off the main road and into the bushes and secures the oxen as best he can, then grabs his pack from where it had been secured on the wagon.

and then waits for Trixine and Urd to lead the way.


"Alwyn, I'd like to walk with our goblin friend and Hymn. Can you and Thremish make sure we aren't being followed?"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


"You got it."

Alwyn takes up the rear position and watches behind for any stalking assailants as the party trudges up the path to the cave.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish

Thremish follows along in back, with Alwyn. He hopes the wagon stays safe, though he figures, if we save his life, Rockseeker will pay him either way. Still, while an "eating cave" is one thing, he can't imagine they're equipped to siege a castle alone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2018 around 21:54

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

With the battle over the group moves the wagon out of the way, and sets off down the trails with Urd in the lead. After about ten minutes along the trail Urd spots a snare trap. Had he not spot it, and pointed it out, someone may have stepped on it and been yanked from their feet, dangling in the air until some creature came to deal with them. But his keen eyes spot the trouble and the danger is passed.

After another ten minutes or so along the trail Urd, barely, manages to spot the signs of a pit trap. He stops, shows the others the signs, and carefully leads the party around the trap.

A short while longer and they find the cave.

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 1 Cave Mouth

Following the goblins' trail, you come across a large cave in a hillside five miles from the scene of the ambush. A shallow stream flows out of the cave mouth, which is screened by dense briar thickets. A narrow dry path leads into the cave on the right-hand side of the stream.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


Alwyn shuffles up form his position at the back of the line, attempting to stay low, and confronts the goblin.

"How many of your friends are in there?"

Persuasion 1d20+5 = 20

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 1 Cave Mouth

The goblin looks at Alwyn in a bit of a confusion. Looks to the cave. Tries to count its fingers, then tries to count its toes. After a few moments it says, uh tw-three?"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


Alwyn ponders the goblins answer.

Insight 1d20+3 = 15

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Alwyn realizes that the term friend may not have been the best choice, having confused the goblin, who seems to think that maybe two or three of the people in the cave counts as a friend. For whatever value of friend.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


Alwyn picks his words more carefully this time.

"How many goblins are there in the cave?"

Persuasion 1d20+5 = 17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The goblin thinks for a bit before hazarding a guess, it holds up one hand, then the other, "uh maybe this many? Maybe more?"

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE


Hymn leans towards Alwyn and speaks quietly.
"I'm a day-bird...I can't see anything in here and if I cast a Light spell, we are going to attract attention...I still can, but...fair warning, we should consider this before approaching..."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

whispering to the party, "How do we want to do this? Anyone think they can sneak up on a cave full of goblins?"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

Trixine ponders the cave. A few handfuls of goblins, and maybe some of their pets. Plus a prisoner who really needed rescuing.

The possibility of an underground excursion brings to mind a somewhat unorthodox proverb: "In the light I find life, in the darkness I find safety, but it is in the twilight that I find freedom."

"I could scout it, and I think Thremish is equally capable. But I expect any treasures and prisoners would be right at the back of the tunnels where we can't get at them."
Trixine can give a single person Blessing of the Trickster, which gives them advantage on Stealth.

"I have an idea. An odd one, but it might get us right to the leader. I can disguise myself as a Drow - I've met a few on the surface, I think Drizzt-the-Hero started a trend - and talk us in. As we appear now, we look like a raiding party plus goblin prisoner. But with a bit of trickery we could easily look like a Drow plus servants, escorted by a goblin, here to do business with the boss. We can find out more about this King Grol and his castle, for one thing. Once we see what's really going on in there, we can feel out our options and spring into action."

"That depends on our new goblin friend helping us out, though." Trixine turns directly to the goblin, "What's your name? And will you help us trick the boss of the cave? Maybe help get rid of him? It means your friends won't get hurt."

Disguise Self is a Trickery Domain spell

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 1 Cave Mouth

The goblin starts shaking, shaking its head and trembling both, at the mention of leading the others into the cave. "No no they kill me if I lead you in there. You here safe. Me no go in and get in trouble. Me run away."

At the talk of the drow plan the goblin looks confused then says "no Drow would come here. No one would be allowed in except King Grol's messengers."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

Trixine is momentary crushed by the elaborate plan being so easily foiled. But is that not a core tenet of the Sharran school, that baseless hopes and ambitions are dangerous and foolish? One must temper expectations and work towards plausible goals, not fanciful dreams.

"Well. I can't speak the Goblin tongue so I'm out of ideas for cunning plans. I really thought I had something there. The next best thing I can think of is to send Thremish in to scout while I meditate to focus on hiding his passage, then we all go in after he tells us what's inside."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


Alwyn questions the goblin again, fishing for useful information.

"What tricks and traps can you remember being in the cave goblin?"

Persuasion 1d20+5 = 14

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 1 Cave Mouth

The goblin thinks a bit more before answering. "The drat?"

Time passes as the group debates how to proceed. If they should try and draw the goblins out, if they should send someone in to sneak ahead with divine blessings, should they kill or incapacitate their goblin guide. Though careful to avoid mentioning the goblin's fate so that the goblin could hear they were not particularly careful about the rest of their discussions. And so it comes as no surprise, or it shouldn't at least, that a pair of arrows come flying at Urd. Though one fails to connect with the lizardman the other manages to pierce his defenses, drawing a small line of blood. Its not much but first blood has been drawn.

The group becomes aware of what has happened, and realize where the arrows came from, but they cannot fully see the goblins, just flashes of green behind the green foliage.

So yeah you aren't quite quiet enough and spend enough time discussing that you are noticed by the goblins hiding nearby. They take the opportunity to fire upon you from their nearly completely hidden spot.

Initiative
23.16 Trixine
19.1 Alwyn
18.14 Tharr
16.14 Hymn

16 Goblin 2
14 Goblin 1
9.14 Urd
8.14 Thremish

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2018 around 22:19

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

Trixine draws a rapier and charges at the suspicious bushes!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 1 Cave Mouth

Trixine moves forward to find the source of the arrows.

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 2 Goblin Blind

On the east side of the stream flowing from the cave mouth, a small area in the briar thickets has been hollowed out to form a lookout post or blind. Wooden planks flatten out the briars and provide room for guards to lie hidden and watch the area - including a pair of goblins lurking there right now!

Trixine strikes out at the northernmost goblin but fails to connect.


Initiative
23.16 Trixine
19.1 Alwyn
18.14 Tharr
16.14 Hymn

16 Goblin 2
14 Goblin 1
9.14 Urd
8.14 Thremish

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


Seeing Trixine engage the ambushers Alwyn rushes to her aid. He is unable to make it across the stream but uses his arcane connection to his ancestor-spirits to will half-visible ghostly Elf to strike at the goblin at range

Casting Eldritch Blast: 1d20+5 = 19, 1d10 damage = 4

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE


Hymn darts between his companions and assails the Goblin hiding in the bushes with a brilliant glowing flame, to no avail once again. Slippery little assholes!
"Am I going to have to have a talk with my God...? Ugh, or maybe the Elf."

Sacred Flame fails to connect Gobbo in the bushes

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 2 Goblin Blind

The goblins look ready to take out the party, surviving the attacks brought against them so far.

Okay Tharr is up, then the goblins will get to try and take you down.

Initiative
23.16 Trixine
19.1 Alwyn
18.14 Tharr
16.14 Hymn
16 Goblin 2
14 Goblin 1
9.14 Urd
8.14 Thremish

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

Tharr rushes across the water and into the bushes, finally a goblin is in reach of his axe, he takes a controlled swing, and misses the goblin.

He can feel his Rage growing, but he keeps it in check for now. He will need that fire when they enter the cave, but he needed a clear head until then.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012


Urd Valaak, Druid of the Circle of Spores


Urd marched forward, crude arrow still sticking from his shoulder. As he moved, he blossomed. Frills of fungus fanned from beneath scales and his cloud of spores thickened visibly in the air. The arrow shaft rotted away and a morel sprouted from the wound, pushing the arrowhead with it. Urd's quarterstaff also became ringed with delicate fungus.

Coming to the edge of the thicket the shots had come from, Urd peered inside. A goblin was drawing another arrow back. Urd made a broad sweeping gesture. The wounded goblin immediately collapsed in a fit of coughing as a wave of spores swept over him. Death from the toxic spores was swift and soon the tiny, beautiful mushrooms were shrouding the body.

Urd activates Symbiotic Entity, casts Shillelagh as a bonus action, and spends his reaction to deal 6 poison damage to the wounded goblin with Halo of Spores.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 2 Goblin Blind

One goblin succumbs to the spores, gasping its last breath. Then Trixine moves in and stabs the last goblin after Tharr moves up to it. The stab is true and the goblin falls.

Things grow quiet as the outlooks breathe their last. You cannot tell if anyone inside the cave is aware of what you have done.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012


Urd Valaak, Druid of the Circle of Spores


Urd hissed urgently, "We cannot wait now. If the cave is alerted the dwarf is in danger." He contemplated the yawning darkness of the cave opening and turned to face Twitters At The Sun. "Can you command light?"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose


Alwyn crosses at the shallows of the creek. "I agree with Urd, we're wasting time that could be costing Sildar and Gundren dearly." He takes up a position at the mouth of the cave. "Let's move in people, watch for traps."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

Thar whispers as he joins Alwyn near the entrance, "Let's go. "

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 2 Goblin Blind

The group readies themselves, Urd casting Darkvision upon himself, and begin to enter the cave one by one.

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 3 Kennels

Just inside the cave mouth, a few uneven stone steps lead up to a small, dank chamber on the east side of the passage. The cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end, and is filled with the stench of animals. Savage snarls and the sounds of rattling chains greet your ears where two wolves are chained up just inside the opening. Each wolf's chain leads to an iron rod driven into the base of a stalagmite.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

Thar whispers, "Wolves are chained up. I think we should keep following the stream, unless one of you can tame the wolves?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

If Sildar weren't in danger I'd be inclined to let them bark and see who comes to investigate, but I think we should probably keep moving. Maybe we could leave something behind that causes them to keep barking...perhaps some meat just out of reach?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply