Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

Faced with three very hungry-looking guard dogs, Trixine does what any halfway competent home intruder does: try to get on their good side.

Crouching slightly to appear less intimidating, she pulls out some dried meat rations and throws them to the wolves while attempting to lovingly shush them into submission before something bad happens.

Animal Handling 6+3=9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Potty Postin'


Alwyn moves to guard Trixine's back, peering out into the cave in case any goblins come looking to see why their dogs have gone ballistic.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 3 Kennels

Rather than calming the wolves down Trixine's attempts only further riled them up. They pull at their chains, trying to get free. As the wolves once more pull at their chains Alwyn moves up a bit and tries to take a look to the left. The area gets darker, harder for anyone to see anything at all if they don't have a form of light, or the ability to see in the dark like an elf or dwarf.

The main passage from the cave mouth climbs steeply upward, the stream plunging and splashing down its west side. In the shadows, a side passage leads west across the other side of the stream.

In the shadows of the ceiling to the north, you can just make out the dim shape of a rickety bridge of wood and rope crossing over the passage ahead of you. Another passage intersects this one, twenty feet above the floor.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2018 around 07:35

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Potty Postin'


"Ignore the dogs, they can't hurt us now and silencing them may be more an alarm then letting them bark." Alwyn says as he eyes the western side of the creek. "I say we try this western passage. Going under a bridge in a dark cave is asking to have rocks pushed on our head."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

"Alwyn's right, keep moving."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

"Quick, everyone get past the wolves before they get even madder!"

Trixine moves further up towards the west tunnel.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Potty Postin'


Alwyn moves into the tunnel but is having issues with the terrain. Ahead in a glowing room to the left he see's some goblins sitting. In an attempt to avoid their gaze he ducks and tries to hide.

Stealth roll: 1d20 = 10

Whispering quickly to Trixine "There's a whole room of them to the left!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 4 Steep Passage

Alwyn begins moving along the passage, past some rubble and onto the ledge in the middle of the rubble. As he moves onto the ledge he feels it shift beneath his feet. His weight is too much for the makeshift floor to handle and it shifts and slides back to the east. His quick reaction allows him to avoid the worst of the tumbling rocks but he still gets scuffed up a bit.

As the floor settles once more he notices some goblins up ahead, however his own attempts at hiding were not enough to keep them from noticing him as well. A cry goes up and the goblins ready for combat.

Alwyn easily passes the Dex save and only takes half damage from the sliding rocks.

Initiative
20 Goblin 1
17 Goblin 3
16.14 Urd
14.1 Alwyn

13 Goblin 5
11.16 Trixine
11.14 Hymn
11 Goblin 4
10.14 Tharr
10 Goblin 2
06 Yeemik
5.14 Thremish

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012


Urd Valaak, Druid of the Circle of Spores


The whistle of arrows sent Urd into action. Weaving among his allies he scrabbled up the narrow defile. At the landing he spotted the group of goblins ahead, readying more arrows. His hand whipped forward and a lashing tendril of plant matter sprung from it and whipped towards the nearest. It yelped and ducked against the cave wall. The thorn whip slashed against the stone and withdrew.

Urd cast Thorn Whip. 7 misses.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 4 Steep Passage

Urd moves up as far as he can go and Alwyn begins to move in and tries to shoot a goblin with a bolt of eldritch energy, but fails to connect. Even as they move in to the tunnel something begins to happen outside the rough shortcut.

The passage is suddenly filled with a mighty roar, as a huge surge of rushing water pours down from above!

Alwyn and Urd are safe where they are, but everyone else is beginning to get washed away.

Another goblin zips forward and fires at Urd but fails to connect, before retreating.

Trixine blesses the front half of the party while Hymn casts Light upon Tharr providing some light to the area.

More goblins are unsuccessful while Tharr moves in. Thremish shoots a goblin down. And another volley of arrows are fired and finally one goblin's arrow manages to connect with Urd.

Everyone except Alwyn and Urd need to make Dex saves, and possibly Str saves. Trixine and Thremish both easily pass the Dex save and don't need to make the Str save. Everyone passed the save. Urd was hit for 5 damage by an arrow. Back to the top of the round, with Urd and Alwyn up

Initiative
20 Goblin 1
17 Goblin 3
16.14 Urd
14.1 Alwyn
13 Goblin 5
11.16 Trixine
11.14 Hymn
11 Goblin 4
10.14 Tharr
10 Goblin 2
06 Yeemik
5.14 Thremish

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Apr 8, 2018 around 20:34

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish deftly avoids the surging stream and darts forward, spotting two of the goblins. He plays his lyre and refocuses his negative energy on the goblin in front(hex). He plucks an eldritch chord and a goblin drops dead.

Eldritch Blast, 20 to hit, 1d10 + 1d6(hex) = 1 + 6 = 7 damage

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 4 Steep Passage

More goblins are killed, Trixine is hit by an arrow, Thremish manages to leap free of the rushing water while Hymn holds on against the onrushing water and manages to avoid being washed away. Hymn moves in so that he can actually see the group if anyone needs healing and Tharr rushes forth to get to the action.

And then everything changes.

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

This large cave is divided in half by a ten-foot-high escarpment. A steep natural staircase leads from the lower portion to the upper ledge. The air is hazy with the smoke of a cooking fire, and pungent from the smell of poorly cured hides and unwashed goblins.

When you arrived six goblins inhabited the den, five below where you have been fighting and one up above, not far from a human prisoner. The prisoner is securely bound on the southern ledge of the cavern, and looks to have been severely beaten. As the goblin witnesses the carnage you have wrought he moves up to the human and moves him to the edge, ready to throw the injured man over the edge to his death.

"Truce, or this human dies!" he shouts. You recognize the man as Sildar Hallwinter, the human warrior who was traveling Gundren Rockseeker when they left ahead of you to take care of some business.


Initiative
20 Goblin 1
17 Goblin 3
16.14 Urd
14.1 Alwyn
13 Goblin 5
11.16 Trixine
11.14 Hymn
11 Goblin 4
10.14 Tharr
10 Goblin 2
06 Yeemik
5.14 Thremish

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2018 around 18:00

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012


Urd Valaak, Druid of the Circle of Spores


"Truce, or this human dies!"

Urd planted his feet in response. "That one's life is the stem by which your own hangs. Speak accordingly." Fungus and plant matter twined from his upraised claw.

Urd readies an action to cast Thorn Whip if the goblin moves to harm the prisoner.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2018 around 19:41

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

Tharr sets his feet, and states calmly but loudly, "Killing the human will begin the last minutes of your clan. Choose carefully."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish quickly clambers forward through the cave and shifts to a calming tune on the lyre. "Well I personally have no intention of staying here longer than it takes us to free your prisoner there. Let him go and you'll have no quarrel with me." he says, while nervously glancing at the glint in Tharr's eyes. While speaking he tries to be subtle about casting healing word on Sildar.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2018 around 20:33

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

The goblin looks you over, at a few of your words he looks like he is ready to drop the man. But he holds off. He speaks. "Yeemik is second in command of cave. Yeemik does not like Klarg leader of cave. Kill Klarg, bring me his head. And I will release human."

The man groggily tries to speak in response. "Don'... trust ...goblin."


Initiative
20 Goblin 1
17 Goblin 3
16.14 Urd
14.1 Alwyn
13 Goblin 5
11.16 Trixine
11.14 Hymn
11 Goblin 4
10.14 Tharr
10 Goblin 2
06 Yeemik
5.14 Thremish

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE


Hymn clambers over to the group, clutching his Holy symbol. When he approached the group, he did his best to shake his feathers dry without soaking the group.
"Why couldn't I be a duck..."
He looked up, then again at his group, "Maybe one of our more...persuasive types...should see if he'll let us talk with Sildar first? Or maybe a trade. Our Goblin captive for Sildar."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish speaks softly and calmly, "Klarg you say. I'm sure he's a nasty sort. I don't think taking care of him would be too much trouble for us though." He turns his eyes towards the corpses in this room. "However", he continues, "we would need the chance to speak to the man(gesturing at sildar) before we agreed to anything. He may remain your prisoner - we only need to talk."

Persuasion, 1d20 + 5 =5 + 5 = 10

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

The goblin leans Sildar over the edge. "Talk if must, but if Yeemik no like what Yeemik here Yeemik drop him!"


Initiative
20 Goblin 1
17 Goblin 3
16.14 Urd
14.1 Alwyn
13 Goblin 5
11.16 Trixine
11.14 Hymn
11 Goblin 4
10.14 Tharr
10 Goblin 2
06 Yeemik
5.14 Thremish

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish considers his question carefully. He wonders why the goblins split the two captives. Why is Gundren going to see some king? If these were just hungry goblins seeking to prey on travelers, there's no reason they'd treat them differently. This seems like it was planned, to him.

Thremish figures he'll try and ask in overly idiomatic common. He hopes the goblins grasp of the language is poor enough that nuance will be missed. Thremish asks Sildar what he thinks brought him to his present circumstance, hinting at a bigger picture than this cave, and asks if he has any kin.

Thremish watches anxiously for Yeemik's response, more than Sildar's. He's not eager to agree to the goblin's plan - if Sildar says they're not to be trusted, Thremish hopes he'll forgive us for making the first move. He's ready to cast healing word if Yeemik moves to drop his prisoner.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

Sildar croaks out "map" in response to Thremish's question, Yeemik nearly drops him, but Alwyn attempts to deceive him that he would be spared if he released Sildar. Whether he believed Alwyn or not doesn't matter, as he didn't care for Alwyn's words that were not agreeing to his demands, the eldritch blast follow up didn't help. He drops Sildar who falls with a rather final sounding thud. Blood leaks from Sildar, his breaths become wheezes, he still lives, but for how long?

Meanwhile as if on some cue the two remaining goblins strike at Trixine with their scimitars. The first misses but the second hits.
Sildar is down and dying, but not yet dead. Trixine took 7 damage and needs to make a Concentration save.

Initiative
20 Goblin 1
17 Goblin 3
16.14 Urd
14.1 Alwyn
13 Goblin 5
11.16 Trixine
11.14 Hymn

11 Goblin 4
10.14 Tharr
10 Goblin 2
06 Yeemik
5.14 Thremish

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE


Hymn wasn't concerned with the new Goblins causing trouble around him. As soon as he saw Sildar slump to the floor, his instincts as a bird-man of the cloth kicked in, and he darted to his side, stepping gingerly over the Goblin corpse.

"Milil, do not let this man die here. Spare his life."
His hand glows a faint gold as he touches it to Sildar's cheek.

Moving next to Tharr, casting Spare the Dying on Sildar; he's now stable, assuming he's neither Undead nor a Construct .

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

Trixine stabs one of the goblins through the eye, killing it instantly. Hymn repeats a prayer that keeps Sildar from bleeding out and dying. The final goblin at the bottom strikes Trixine in retaliation.

Initiative
20 Goblin 1
17 Goblin 3
16.14 Urd
14.1 Alwyn
13 Goblin 5
11.16 Trixine
11.14 Hymn
11 Goblin 4
10.14 Tharr
10 Goblin 2
06 Yeemik
5.14 Thremish

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

Tharr swipes his axe at the last goblin, but it ducks under the blade, and the last chance of his rage being constrained is lost.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

(ooc. Whoa I had the hidden post bug - there was an invisible post that you'll now see above this one. Edit: or not - for some reason it said I was the last poster when I wasn't. )

Thremish finishes off the last goblin with a curse word and a searing note. Calming down, he plays a healing tune for Sildar.

Eldritch Blast + hex: 1d12 + 1d6 = 1 + 6 = 7 dmg
Healing word - 1d4 + 3 = 4 hp

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2018 around 00:02

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

As the final goblin is put down Thremish plays a little tune and Sildar wakes up, alive, but aching. He blinks his eyes a few times, looks around and slowly sits up. He sees dead goblins and living party members so he speaks up. "Is it over? Are they dead?" He winces, "ah my hip." And he slowly tries to get to his feet. He is an older man, clearly once a great warrior but age has crept up on him some, and the abuse he has taken at the hands of the goblins has certainly not helped matters.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Potty Postin'


"Sildar what happened? We found your horses full of goblin shot."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

"Sit down for a bit, take a breather. They took Gundren somewhere else - to see some King Grol. Any idea what your attackers were after? That they took him somewhere else makes it seem targeted."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

Sildar sits back down, leaning against a nearby rock and resting his head. He closes his eyes for a bit then opens them again as he begins speaking.

"From what I understand Gundren and his two brothers recently located an entrance to the Wave Echo Cave, the site of the mines in the Phandelver Pact. From what I overheard from the goblins this Klarg, the bugbear who leads this group of goblins, had orders to waylay Gundren. I heard that the Black Spider sent word that the dwarf was to be brought to him."

He coughs up a bit of bloody phlegm, winces, and catches his breath again before he continues. "I don't know who the Black Spider might be. Gundren had a map showing the secret location of Wave Echo Cave, but the goblins took it. I think Klarg sent to the map and Grunden to the chief of the Cragmaws at Cragmaw Castle. Not that I know where that is, but someone in Phandalin might know."

He closes his eyes again, it almost seems like he is going to go to sleep. After a few moments he opens his eyes and continues. "I have a contact in Phandalin, name of Iarno Albrek. He traveled to the town two months ago to establish order there. After the Lords' Alliance received no word from Iarno I decided to investigate."

He looks down at the rags he is in, clearly without any of his gear or possessions, "if you could clear out the goblins raiding the land from this cave that would help Phandalin. And I hope you could escort me to Phandalin. I have nothing on me, it was all taken and sent on by the goblins, but when we get to Phandalin I can secure a loan to pay you fifty gold."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

"I'm willing to clear out the goblins in this cave, if the rest of you are. Once we can finish this, and get to Phandalin, we can plan our next move. "

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Trixine

"Good to see that you made it through this hardship in one piece, more or less. This Black Spider seems like a real opportunist, trying to get first-digs at the old mines by kidnapping you two. Probably just an ambitious bandit trying to get rich quick, I don't think I've heard of anyone by that moniker in Neverwinter? Then again, between the Sword Mountains and the Neverwinter Woods you could hide an army of giants and nobody would notice. First things first, let's take out the boss of this cave and see if we can find any more clues."

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE


Hymn hmm'd a bit.
"While I don't really like the idea of just committing genocide...these goblins seem far from innocent. Let's tread carefully and see what can be done, I suppose. The sooner we get back under the Sun the better."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012


Urd Valaak, Druid of the Circle of Spores


"I will do this thing." Urd eyed the wounded man. "Next time hire guards for yourselves too."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Potty Postin'


Alwyn turns around and looks up the tunnel, "We should move fast, between the water trap and this surely they know we're coming."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012



Tharr

"Thremish? Willing to help us?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish
"Onward it is - ought we see what these folks were carrying first, and have a look around the room? Now that Sildar is safe we can afford a little caution."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

Searching the area, and the goblins, you find little that is useful. Though Yeemik was carrying a pouch that, upon opening, is revealed to contain three golden teeth and 15 silver pieces.

The gold teeth are worth 1 gp each.

Thremish and Tharr move up the passage to the north.

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 5 Overpass

The stream passage continues up beyond another set of uneven steps ahead, bending eastward as it goes. A waterfall sounds out from a larger cavern somewhere ahead of you.

A rickety bridge spans the passage, connecting two tunnels that are 20 feet above the stream.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2018 around 19:40

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU


Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish cautiously moves forward around the corridor to get a look across the bridge. He spots a goblin in the tunnel on the other side, who quickly retreats and seems to prepare to attack. He returns to the group and informs them of what he saw. "Reasonable chance they're gonna come this way, we should hold them at the bridge perhaps." he says, not eager to go first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Potty Postin'


"Hold tight Sildar, this shouldn't take too long."

Alywn moves to join his companions at the bridge.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »