Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

Moves next to Alwyn, "Hunting goblins in their caves, pretty sure I've told new recruits to never do this. We should probably get moving."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout: Area 6 Goblin Den

The group finally pushes forward, most of them crossing the bridge, and a few even entering the passage on the other side. Tharr and a few others spot some goblins, bows drawn, and a pair of arrows fly out at Tharr as soon as they are spotted. One arrow manages to connect, but the other is fired from a more tentative position and fails to connect. As everyone prepares for combat another goblin scurries up, fires a bow at Tharr, and scurries back. This arrow also fails to connect.

Tharr is hit for 7 damage. All other arrows miss.

Initiative
18 Goblin 4
16.14 Tharr
14 Goblin 6
12.14 Urd
11.14 Thremish
11 Goblin 5
11 Goblin 3
9.16 Trixine
9 Goblin 1
8 Klarg
7.14 Hymn
7 Ripper
5.1 Alwyn
4 Goblin 2

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

Tharr bellows a wordless shout of pain and anger, and leaps forward and slams his great-axe into the closest goblin, the scream echoing along the cavern walls.

Hit AC 23, for 15 damage

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Tharr feels a rage building within and he walks forth to massacre. As he reaches the goblin ahead of him two arrows come out of the darkness from goblins who were waiting for an enemy to show, both hit but deal little real damage to Tharr's rage infused flesh. In retaliation Tharr casually strikes down the goblin before him, as if there was no question of the outcome.

Another goblin slips up from the south, spots Tharr and shoots him, dealing nearly as much with the one arrow as the previous two goblins did with two. Still Tharr is strong and shrugs off blows that would take down lesser men.

Tharr is hit for 5 damage after resistances from the two arrows combined, then again for 4 more from the third arrow. All after resistances. Had anyone else taken those shots they would have likely been in trouble.

Initiative
18 Goblin 4
16.14 Tharr
14 Goblin 6
12.14 Urd
11.14 Thremish

11 Goblin 5
11 Goblin 3
9.16 Trixine
9 Goblin 1
8 Klarg
7.14 Hymn
7 Ripper
5.1 Alwyn
4 Goblin 2

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU

Cybernetic Crumb

Feeling himself a little, Thremish walks forward across the bridge and prepares his cursing song, and then blasts fiercely blasts the closest goblin to the party.

Hex + Eldritch Blast - 1d20+5 = 21, 1d10 + 1d6 = 4 + 1 = 5 dmg

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Urd steps up and attempts to smack the nearest goblin, he fails to connect but his spores seek the goblin out and the goblin begins to cough as they start consuming it from within, making it a perfect target for Thremish's song of death. Two goblins fire arrows at Urd but fail to connect, one going wide, the other reflecting off Urd's shield.

Trixine moves up and tries to shoot a goblin, but the twisting turning path of the tunnel throws off her aim and the arrow misses the goblin. Even as the goblin is thanking its lucky stars at the miss a roar can be heard and a larger, furrier, figure strides forth from the south and begins pushing goblins aside before hefting a javelin. With practically supernatural skill the javelin strikes Urd with a tremendous blow.

Urd misses, but spores still do their thing, Thremish's damage is enough to finish off the goblin. Both goblins fail to hit Urd. Trixine misses because of the intervening cover. Klarg the bugbear crits on Urd and rolls rather poorly on the damage and thus does not take Urd down in a single hit.

Initiative
18 Goblin 4
16.14 Tharr
14 Goblin 6
12.14 Urd
11.14 Thremish
11 Goblin 5
11 Goblin 3
9.16 Trixine
9 Goblin 1
8 Klarg
7.14 Hymn
7 Ripper
5.1 Alwyn
4 Goblin 2

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2018 around 18:17

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Even through the twisting and dark corridor, Hymn could see Trixine had taken a hard hit. He scrambled over, and placed his hands over her.
"O Great Milil, though she is no child of yours she is a friend and ally of mine; please grant your healing magic to mend her wounds!"
His hands began to glow with an eerie light, restoring health to Trixine.

Trixine restores 11 HP from the Cure Wounds spell

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hymn heals many of Trixine's wounds, and a wolf comes rushing in from the south, rushing at Urd and trying to rip him apart. But the wolf fails to connect with him.

Initiative
18 Goblin 4
16.14 Tharr
14 Goblin 6
12.14 Urd
11.14 Thremish
11 Goblin 5
11 Goblin 3
9.16 Trixine
9 Goblin 1
8 Klarg
7.14 Hymn
7 Ripper
5.1 Alwyn
4 Goblin 2

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Urd Valaak, Druid of the Circle of Spores

The bugbear's javelin struck true, piercing Urd's tough scales. Urd felt a seeping weakness leach into his limbs, and a corresponding surge in the tiny jaws within him. Mushrooms bloomed and unfurled around the wound. Urd pulled himself up and lurched towards the goblins, teeth snapping at the life in their throats. He missed but had drawn close enough for the cloud of spores to envelop the nearest goblin. It fell choking.

Urd activates Symbiotic Entity. He misses with Hungry Jaws as a bonus action and spends his reaction to spore the nearest goblin to death.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Hymn watches javelins strike Urd and pincushion him, coming to his aid with healing.
"I'd be lying if I said 'this wasn't what I signed on for', but we both know being our healbot medic was kind of what I had in mind," He tried to keep Urd's spirits high as he passed the glowing hands over the wounded Druid.

Urd heals for 7 points of healing!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

Thar ignores the additional arrow, and even that some of the party has followed the fleeing bugbear. Only the insolent goblins before him existed, their refusal to give their blood to his axe and affront that can not be ignored, nor turned from. He would continue swinging, and eventually he would connect.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout

Trixine manages to get out of the cave and chase down Klarg. The chase is harrowing as Klarg has a good head start, but the bugbear just cannot outrun Trixine. She catches up and stabs the bugbear in the shoulder, Klarg turns around with a snarl and swings. The two turn about moving to and fro as they try to take each other down, but flail about without success for some time. Klarg manages a good blow, but not enough to stop Trixine, and she gets another hit in. Klarg turns and runs and Trixine once more chases him down. Klarg continues to try and run away, but each time Trixine catches up. Eventually Klarg gets desperate and attacks Trixine again. Landing a tremendous blow that knocks Trixine out and scars her face, Klarg then proceeds to run away.

Hymn has been running as fast as he can after the fleeing pair. He eventually finds Trixine, but Klarg is long gone by that point. Trixine is stable but unconscious.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Hymn saw Trixine lying and begins to chant a spell he had learned from the church.
"If you can hang in there for a little bit Trixine, I believe our friends will be here...and we can all bask in the Sun's healing..."

Casting Prayer of Healing. After 10 minutes, everyone will regain 10 HP.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose

Alwyn jogs down the safe way from Klarg's cavern, back out to the entrance where his friends appear to be converging around the unconscious form of Trixine.

"Lads there's a big pile of stolen goods in that cave. Looks like these buggers have been preying on the caravans out here for a while."

Alwyn walks over to Hymn and puts a hand on his shoulder. "If Trixine isn't in danger we could get the wagon up here and load the goods up, I'm sure the locals would be happy to see their supplies returned."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

Tharr nods in agreement with Alwyn's words. "Loading up the stolen goods makes sense. Best to wait until Hymn's finishes his prayer though."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

Trixine wakes up feeling like a bugbear just tried to open her head with a spiked mace.

"Ow. Ow. Ow. I'm not dead then? I don't think anything is missing. Let me guess, the bugbear got away?"

"What happened to that goblin that helped us?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cragmaw Hideout

It seems that at some point during your fight the goblin ran away, probably not wanting to have anything to do with this whole thing. Checking the wagon finds it is still where you left it, and nothing seems to be missing. Thremish opens the chest, finding that it was unlocked, and luckily not trapped. Rooting around in it he finds 600 copper pieces, 110 silver pieces, and a jade statuette of a frog with tiny golden orbs for eyes. He estimates it to be worth about 40 gold. It seems to be small enough to fit in a pocket. He also finds two potions of some type.

It takes some time to transfer the stolen goods to the wagon, but the group eventually manages to pull it off. The wagon is fairly heavily loaded, and there is no longer any room for anyone to ride on it. So everyone will have to walk.

After a few hours travel time...

Phandalin

The rutted track emerges from a wooded hillside, and you catch your first glimpse of Phandalin. The town consists of forty or fifty simple log buildings, some built of on old fieldstone foundations. More old ruins--crumbling stone walls covered in ivy and briars--surround the newer houses and shops, showing how this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. Most of the newer buildings are set on the sides of the cart track, which widens into a muddy main street of sorts as it climbs toward a ruined manor house on a hillside at the east side of town.

As you approach, you see children playing on the town green and townsfolk tending to chores or running errands at shops. Many people look up as you approach, but all return to their business as you go by.

Sildar seems much more at ease.

"My friends," he says, "let us secure lodgings. I'm told the local inn is very quaint."

It is getting late in the day, but you still have some time to look around before needing to rest. Sildar seems to want to get some lodgings, and has promised to pay you when he meets with a friend. You were supposed to drop off the supplies at Barthen's Supplies, and would get paid for that. The stolen supplies you found and loaded up are marked for the Lionshield Coster, someone there may pay for them.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

Trixine hasn't had a great day - a lot of injury and pain, and the very unwanted near-death experience involving a bugbear. While embarrassment could be smoothed over and forgotten, the massive livid scar across Trixine's face would likely stay around as a permanent reminder. The ambition and recklessness led to painful, obvious consequences strongly implies a divine hand in events, teaching Trixine's proper thinking and action.

"I'm all in favour of taking a break, but we need to get our business done before the locals all go to bed. We need to deliver the goods, keep an eye on Sildar, and catch up on the local news and situation."

"It looks like the town hasn't been set on fire despite the lack of walls, so the bandit threat can't be overwhelming. I'll see what they have for a temple here and ask the priest about things. Looks agricultural, would Chauntea be too obvious?"

... Auril?

Trixine has fond memories of cities like Neverwinter where there's activity all night long by lamplight. This looks like a forgotten hamlet built on top of an older, more forgotten one.

Trixine going to look for local religion, learn the local situation, try not to get in more trouble.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

"Agreed, we should get these goods to their owners tonight, and then a rest at the inn is a good idea, then we can decide what is next for us. a warm meal and a few rounds of ale in the inn should let us listen into current news."

Tharr had noticed the looks the townsfolk had given him as they rode in, this was not a town accustomed to visits by those of Orc blood.

"It might be best if Thremish or Alwyn stayed with me while moving through this town. I'd rather not get entangled with locals that have scores to settle with Orckind."

Mykkel fucked around with this message at Jun 14, 2018 around 12:06

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jan 1, 1970

I WILL MEDITATE AND THEN DESTROY YOU

Cybernetic Crumb

Thremish responds that he'd be honored to stand by your side and respond sarcastically to any wayward looks. He bows deeply and insincerely.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2018 around 15:53

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

The group begins to split up as they travel through Phandalin, with most stopping at Lionshield Coster, while Trixine and Urd continue on with Salidar. Urd and Salidar stop off at the Stonehill Inn, while Trixine continues on to the Shrine of Luck nearby.

Lionshield Coster

Hanging above the front door of this modest trading post is a sign shaped like a wooden shield with a blue lion painted on it.

As you enter a sharp-tongued human woman of thirty-five named Linene Graywind introduces herself and asks what she can help you with.

Stonehill Inn

In the center of town stands a large, newly built roadhouse of fieldstone and rough-hewn timbers. The common room is filled with locals nursing mugs of ale or cider, all of them eyeing you with curiosity.

A short, friendly young human male named Toblen Stonehill ambles over and greets you all. Sildar talks with him for a bit and rents a room for himself, though no money is exchanged yet.

Shrine of Luck

Phandalin's only temple is a small shrine made of stones taken from the nearby ruins. It is dedicated to Tymora, goddess of luck and good fortune. The shrine is in the care of a scholarly acolyte named Sister Garaele, a zealous young elf.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Urd keeps his stooped posture and leans on his staff. He's learned not to loom in human towns.

"What meat does your kitchen provide?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Stonehill Inn

Toblen is a little taken aback by the question. "Uh the normal kinds. Beef, pork, lamb, and chicken."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Fate shows her teeth. I'll take a leg of lamb in my room. Thank you." Urd makes his way to the room. Using his abilities consumes much of his reserves. He cannot wait to properly sate the gnawing hunger. Dried meat eaten on the move only goes so far.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Stonehill Inn

Toblen is again a little shaken by Urd, but manages, "that will be 3 silver for the lamb, and 5 more for the room. How, how do you want the leg of lamb prepared?"

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Roasted with herbs." Urd shows his teeth. "You thought perhaps 'raw and bloody'?" He tosses the lad the coins, flicking his tail in amusment.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Alwyn Winterwood

"Ho there merchant Greywind," says Alwyn rising his right hand in polite fashion "I am Alywn Winterwood and these are my comrades Tharr and Thremish. I believe we may have found something you lost. If you'd care to step outside for a moment and see I'm sure you will be pleased."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Lionshield Coster

"Really now?" Linene raises an eyebrow, but follows you out to the cart. She looks over the supplies, noticing the ones with the Lionshield markings. "Where did you find them?"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

"Band of goblins attempted to ambush us this morning. Cleared out their caves, found this stuff there."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Lionshield Coster

Linene calls some help to retrieve the marked provisions, looking you over with an appraising look. "Well for bringing these back I can give you 50gp, and I will help you any way I can."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

Tymorans aren't the worst to come across. More likely to be helpful than not.

"Greetings to you, fellow traveller under the sun. I'm Trixine, an itinerant servant of Selūne, and..."

Trixine gives the short rundown of who, what and why there is a new bunch of armed strangers in town, and asks about local news and such.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Shrine of Luck

Sister Garaele listens to Trixine's introduction quietly. "Much is happening in the area. The biggest problem for the town would be the Redbrands. A group of thugs who have been terrorizing the locals. That said there is another issue. If you think you and your companions are capable perhaps you can help me. Not far from here is a banshee by the name of Agatha. I believe she knows the location of the spellbook of a mage by the name of Bowgentle. I tried to speak to her, but she would not appear for me. So I am hoping you and your companions could speak with her and find the location of the spellbook. I have acquired a suitable gift for the banshee and believe you can get her to speak to you if you appeal to her vanity. Should you succeed I am willing to part with 3 healing potions."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

"This town looked defenseless, but I thought the threats would be coming from outside, not within. Is there a mayor or guild master or some such thing who's in charge of the town? If there's going to be blood on the streets, it's best to have a bit of official backing just so you don't get in deeper trouble. Not that I particularly want bloodshed, it just tends to happen more often than not."

"As for your banshee friend, I'm intrigued by the offer but I'll need to talk to my companions about it. If it's not too far out of the way they will probably go for it. And remember, good luck follows ill, malice breeds vengeance, and the wheel of fate turns slowly but inexorably. These thugs will be blown out of town like autumn leaves so please, find some cheer!"

After talking to the priest, Trixine will go look for the closest thing to an authority/powerbroker in the town that isn't the gang of thugs.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Shrine of Luck

Sister Garaele explains that they have no centralized government, but that each year they elect someone as townmaster who serves as a judge for any minor crimes, and a recordkeeper. She gives directions to the Townmaster's Hall and lets Trixine know that the current Townmaster is Harbin Wester.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

Trixine is feeling tired, sunburned and her face really hurts, so the mission to see the Townmaster is perhaps more aggressive than it needed to be.

"Alright Wester, I've been having a rough day so I'll be to the point: what the devil is going on in this town? There's bandits on the road which is bad, your only temple is a pile of rubble which is just sad, but I also hear you've got a gang of toughs running the place, which brings to question what exactly you do here?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Townmaster's Hall

The townmaster's hall has sturdy stone walls, a pitched wooden roof, and a bell tower at the back. Posted on a board next to the front door is a notice written in Common. It reads: "REWARD -- Orcs near Wyvern Tor! Those of a mind to face the orc menace should inquire within." The notice bears the town's seal and an indecipherable signature.

A fat old man is sitting in a chair when Trixine comes in, he jerks awake at her sudden entrance, and mumbles "who what? Do I know you?"

As she continues on about toughs and what he does here he looks a bit offended. "I am an elected official, I serve as a judge for minor disputes and keep records. That is what my job is. As for these toughs, these Redbrands they they are just a mercenary guild, and not all that much trouble, really."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

Alwyn Winterwood

"Thank you kindly mistress, these coin will get out group a well earned rest and meal at your fine local inn." Says Alwyn with a smile, handing the coin to Tharr for safe keeping. If anyone has ever kept anything safe it's that man. "If you wish to help us you could point us in the direction of Barthan's Provisions. Our original job was to deliver some mining supplies to him before we were waylayed by the Goblins."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

"I'll take that under advisement, but I'll wager that you haven't hired them to guard the town or patrol the road anytime recently. Idle mercenaries find a way to pay and entertain themselves at the expense of everyone else. I won't be back."

As she leaves, Trixine shuts the door behind her with Thaumaturgy. She's inclined to trust a priest (even of Tymora) over a lazy lawyer, and decides to avoid dealing with him if possible. Pondering the local situation, Trixine concludes the following:

- The temple is very weak.
- The law is very weak and placates the farmers.
- The guards are somewhere between directionless and predatory.
- By elimination, the local traders are probably the most eager and able to address issues.

So, before the sun hits the horizon Trixine goes looking for the richest and most influential merchant in town.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Phandalin

Lionshield Coster

The party is paid 50 gold for bringing the supplies back. There are still the original supplies you were bringing to the town that need to be dropped off at Barthen's Supplies, which would involve getting paid again.

Townmaster's Hall

As Trixine leaves the Hall it seems like the sun is getting low, she won't have time to do much more before sun sets.

She makes her way to the most merchant like place she can find.

Phandalin Miner's Exchange

She finds a trading post where local miners have their valuables weighed, measured, and paid out. It seems like it gets used as an unofficial records office as well. The Exchange still looks a bit busy, though it seems as if things are settling down, they are probably preparing to close for the night. Still there are a number of merchants and guild members running around.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2018 around 07:39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

Without much else to go on, Trixine simply asks a passing trader who's in charge, and goes to see them. Since it looks like people actually come and go here and some wealth is being thrown around, some tact and diplomacy is in order.