Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Thremish responds, uncertainly. "Sorry, sorry, I've expressed myself poorly." He decides to pounce on the murmurs. "We all hunger, and simply put, I'd see you fed. Whatever you crave, it's yours, but the redbrands have to go. Might we have this conversation face to face? Call me old fashioned but I still prefer things that way."

Thremish doesn't think this will work. He returns to the group. At a whisper, as if that will help hide his words from the entity, he tells them something is speaking to his mind and he thinks it's downstairs, by the door. He tells them that it sensed him as soon as he went downstairs and that he's offered to help whatever it is, but he's scared now. Perhaps Alwyn or Mikkel could help his head off his shoulders instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Crevasse

Again Thremish's mind is invaded. "Food. Meat. Prove yourself first. Then I will show myself."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thremish addresses the group. "This thing....it hungers. It wants meat...and I have a feeling our rations aren't fresh enough. I know not what I address and am hesitant to make further promises but...maybe our captive can serve us here?" he says, timidly. He didn't think they'd go for that last one but...he did try to kill us and maybe whatever it is will help. "Alternatively one of us can be bait but...I wouldn't volunteer for that. "

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Tharr

"I think your mental friend will need to show us a reason to provide any meat, Thremish. Let's move on and look for the leaders of the Redbrands. "

Tharr moves past Thremish and head down the hallway toward the stairs down.

rolled a 10 on stealth to move as quiet as possible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thremish respond. "I think there's a good chance this is him. We're looking for a wizard, and well, he speaks in thoughts." he says, uncertainly.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Tharr

"Evil Wizards don't usually demand fresh human meat. If it's the wizard, he's playing games with your mind. If it's not the wizard, there may be a second monster in this cave. Either way, I've no reason to agree to your friend's requests, and plenty of reasons to ignore it. "

Assuming I can respond to Thremish before moving. If not, I'll not say above.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Urd Valaak, Druid of the Circle of Spores

"One must hunt one's own meals in the wild. Jaws will grow weak otherwise." Urd follows Tharr, his bare scaly feet making little noise as he pads forward.

Urd rolls a 20 on stealth to creep behind Tharr.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

Alwyn hovers near the entrance into the cavern, keeping an eye out as his companions try to slip in further. Something doesn't seem right. He's pretty sure Peeper's can't whisper into peoples minds.

Well MOSTLY sure.

Just to be safe he puts his Divine Sense into use, to try and sense what ever maybe lurking in this dank hole.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

Tharr whispers to Urd, "Something is whispering in my head now. Can't say that I like it."

{What are you?}

Brackets are my attempt at responding to the mental intrusion

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Crevasse

Within Tharr's mind he hears. "A guard. A watcher. Hungry. "

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Tharr

{Everything is hungry. Get out of my head, unless you can deliver this manor to me and mine}

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Crevasse

And with that the creature is tired of questioning you, and begins to do its duty. A one eyed head pops up and looks at Tharr, who begins to feel a bit off.

Initiative
23 one eyed creature
15 Thremish
09 Tharr
05 Hymn Dawns-Chorus
04 Trixine
04 Urd
02 Alwyn

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Trixine

"What is that thing?"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

With a soft incantation and a swift, surefooted step Alwyn traipses around the stone column that the "Peeper" is behind and brings his blade to bare. It crackles with the Booming Blade cantrip as the half-elf wills the Wrathful Smite spell into the mix. "Cower foul creature!" He shouts as the blow connects with the monsters side and the magics discharge.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
"Don't see what was the big fuss about that eye thing! We seemed to beat it rather handily, eh?"
Hymn chirps a bit, motioning deeper in the cave.
"Should we continue?"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

"Aye we should, I think what ever else is in this place my have heard the noise. And these Redband's maybe more dangerous then we give them credit if they were able to tame this aberration to their service."

Alwyn looks around the rickety bridge and crevasse looking for any clues as to why this monster was here. The place stinks like a corpse dump or refuse pile. Just what EXACTLY are the Redbands dumping down here?

Perception 1d20+2 = 4
Investigation 1d20+1 = 19

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Crevasse

Before the fight ends Hymn zips across the bridge, or tries at least, but the bridge gives way under him, he falls down the crevasse. Alwyn looks around, but can't figure out why the creature would stay in the area from up here above the crevasse. For Hymn the bottom of the crevasse feels unnaturally cold. Among a pile of bones Hymn notices a half eaten body. Also to the north, under the northern bridge, Hymn can easily spot a hidden cubbyhole where a battered wooden chest is hidden.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Hymn chirps happily, reaching into the cubbyhole, before common sense kicked in. There was a good chance it was trapped. He sprang to his feet and walked to the edge of the crevasse, "Hey, there's a chest down here! But I'm worried it's trapped."
He points to the cubbyhole he spotted.
"Also it's gross so be careful!"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

Alywn finds the rope in his pack and ties it around the pillar near the crevasse before throwing it down to Hymn.

"Let's haul it and you up here where it's less gross then!"

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Hymn tallies up everything he found, before jamming it in his pockets, and strapping the sword to his back, scrabbling over to the rope and attempting to climb back up.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Crevasse

Hymn has no issues climbing up the rope, regrouping with the party.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Trixine

"That's one monster down, but several paths lay ahead of us. Redbrands probably lie down all of them, so shall we scout carefully or rush in?"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

"I suggest scouting. I'd rather not run head first into something bad and I bet we just caused all sorts of noise thanks to the echoy cave."

Alwyn retrieves his rope from the chasm and notes the shiny new sword strapped to the clerics back.

"Now THAT looks interesting my avian friend. May I take a closer look at it?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Crevasse

Alwyn takes a look at the sword, noticing that the word Talon is engraved upon it, and that the hilt is in the shape of a bird of prey with outspread wings. He doesn't recognize the history of the sword, but figures out that it is magical at least.

Alwyn and Trixine move on toward a door, before trying to open it.

Guard Barracks

This barracks contains four roughly built wooden bunks, with heaped-up blankets and dirty dishes scattered about. A strong smell of unwashed bodies and rotten meat fills the air. Three tall, furry humanoids are lounging among the mess, barking orders at a sad little goblin that demeans itself for their amusement. Your sudden appearance causes the goblin to faint.

The three furry figures look up at your arrival. Blink a few times as they slowly realize you are not Redbrands. Then they stand up and draw their weapons.

Bugbear 3 moves up to Alwyn and tries to hit him but fails to connect. Alwyn and Thremish are up.
Initiative
19 Bugbear 3
12 Alwyn
11 Thremish

07 Bugbear 2
06 Trixine
05 Urd
05 Tharr
04 Bugbear 1

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 2, 2019

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

Alwyn is clutching at this cut up side.

"Uh, medic?"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Trixine

With the bugbears defeated and only slightly cut up, Trixine approaches the unconscious goblin they had been tormenting and gently kicks it a bit.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Guard Barracks

The goblin twitches a bit after being kicked. Then it opens its eyes. Looks around and upon seeing the group begins to shake, whimper and close its eyes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Trixine

"Don't worry, we're not going to hurt you. Just a few questions about the bugbears and humans."

Trixine asks the obvious questions about who else is in the dungeons, who's in charge, and where the bugbears/goblins have been originating from.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

Alwyn picks up the sweet eyepatch from the corpse of Mosk. Hmmm maybe it will make Thar look even more dangerous.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 29, 2019

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Guard Barracks

The goblin cautiously opens its eyes and looks at Trixine. His lip quivering he asks, "no hurt Droop?"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Trixine

Trixine regrets never learning Goblin language. Sure, Undercommon gets you into the best parties, but half the surface world runs on Goblin or Orcish.

"That's right. Droop is safe and with brave friends who fight bugbears and Redbrands. What can you tell me about them?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thremish joins in - "we're not here to hurt you, don't worry, but we need to know who's inside".

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Guard Barracks

The goblin looks at you with hope, and perhaps something else. He looks at the bugbears and responds. "Bugbears mean and strong. Bugbears beat Droop. Bugbear leader is, was Mosk." He points at one of the slain bugbear, the one wearing a black leather eyepatch studded with semiprecious stones.

He looks thoughtful for a moment then continues, "Redbrand leader is wizard, um Glasstaff?" He points in a general direction.

Asking about a map and who is inside causes him to pause and think for a bit, after a bit he walks over to a body and sticks a finger into some blood and then begins sketching a very rough map.

He seems to start with the room you are in, to the north he shows another room and draws a crude picture of dice inside it. He taps the room, "this room often have Redbrand in, playing game with bone things."

Above that room he draws another hallway, similar to the one between the room you are in and the dice room. Both hallways go to the east where he draws a rough gash for the crevasse. On the crevasse he draws a crude eye. "This place bad. Eye monster there. Dead get thrown in to make eyemonster happy."

On the other side of the crevasse he draws another hallway to the southeast. At the end he draws a dead end wall, then scratches a line through it. "End of this hallway has secret door." He looks so proud that he knows about it.

On the other side of the secret door he draws a much larger room that contains a pool of water, and three doors. One to the west on the other side of the pool, one to the east, and one to the north. Around the northern door he draws two stairs, one going up to a ledge then the other going up even further to the ledge leading to the eastern door. To the south he draws another set of stairs. "These stairs lead up to ledge to door to manor. Nothing important there."

Then off the western door he draws a smaller room with some rectangles and circles. "This room has barrels and crates, and Redbrand go to sleep there."

Above the northern door he draws a much larger hallway, halfway down he draws a box and shades it in, pointing to it he says. "This hallway trapped." He continues to draw the hallway leading to a double door.

On the other side of the double doors he draws another room, not as big as the pool room, probably roughly the same size as the room you are in. In that room he draws a door to the north and another door to the east, and he draws a few bones. "This room has skeletons, they guard."

He draws the room to the east, a long room that he puts some lines in and some stick figures. "This room has bars, hold people. Woman and kids there. Maybe some Redbrand watching them. But need get by skeletons to get to room anyway."

He then goes back to the area above the skeleton room. He draws a narrow hallway and a door to the east, on the eastern door he draws a lock, and then a room with something that looks like a dagger or sword. "This door locked, weapons inside." Then across from the locked door he draws a line through part of the wall, "another secret door here."

On the other side of the secret door he draws another room with barrels and boxes, this time he does not draw the southern wall, and some of you may have even seen the room he is drawing as it is placed almost right to the north of the crevasse. "Stolen stuff goes here."

On the western wall of the storeroom he draws another line through the wall, indicating another secret door. On the other side of the secret door he draws a narrow hallway, and some stairs going down much like the hallway you went down to get to the room you are in, and on the far wall he drew another line through the wall for another secret door.

Through this secret door he draws another room with what looks to be a bed, and what might be a staff, with a door on the western wall. "This is where Glasstaff lives."

On the other side of the door he draws a room with some table looking rectangles, and a door to the south which connects to the hallway he drew early on the other side of the dice room. "This room Glasstaff work in"

He then looks up to Trixine and beams, hoping he did well enough.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

Alwyn picks up the sweet eye patch from the corpse of Mosk. Hmmm maybe it will make Thar look even more dangerous. Hmmm...

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 29, 2019

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Guard Barracks

Upon removing the eyepatch, which you estimate to be worth about 50 gold, you notice that Mosk's eye is intact. It seems as if he was wearing the eyepatch for a similar reason, to look badass. As the body slumps back down you hear a tinkle of coins from a pouch around his belt.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

Alwyn hears the tinkle and takes a look in the pouch as well. Just to be on the safe side he checks the other 2 bodies too. Dead Bugbears don't need coin, and they owe him for the potion he was forced to use.

He then shuffles over to the map that Doop has drawn.

"It looks like if we go out this way," Alwyn indicates to the opposite side of the crevasse on the map "And then go in through the ah, trapped hallway we can see about liberating the woman and kids before getting an easy flank on Glasstaff."

He grins at the group "About time we were the ones ambushing someone."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Phandalin

Redbrand Hideout

Guard Barracks

Inside the belt pouch Alwyn finds 33 silver pieces, and an iron key.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alwyn Winterwood

"Hey guys I uh, found a key."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Guess I never posted in here what was found in the eyemonster's chest.

160 sp, 120 gp, five malachite gems worth 15 gp each.
Two potions of healing, one of which has already been used.
A scroll, careful examination with reveal it is of augury.
And a +1 longsword in a silver-chased scabbard, inscribed with the name "Talon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Trixine

"I don't know about leaving Glasstaff for last, the longer we take the more likely we are to be discovered and he makes a break for it, or pulls another trick. We could go straight for his room and cut the head off the serpent. Metaphorically? The Redbrands will probably surrender if they know we've already taken out their boss, too."