Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

LifeGetsWorser posted:

questions for Grogfish.

Hazel Hall Ok so you’ve got magic that you taught yourself but...how? How did you figure that out, what was the catalyst? And how’d you come to the attentions of the Sisters of Midnight? On that note, who is in charge of the local chapter, and what’s your relationship like with them? I mean, if it’s you, then I imagine your uh...confidant personality tends to rub some of your subordinates the wrong way (whether you’re in charge or not, actually!), so, do you have anybody you’d consider to be a rival or an enemy in the order? Oh hey, and on that note, what about your family - are they magical, too? Or are you special, comparatively?

Ah, that story isn't so exciting. Grandpa died when I was about fifteen or so, and while we were going through the stuff in his house, I found a set of magical books boxed up in the attic, either his, grandma's or their parents, but from the dust they hadn't been used in a few decades at least. Being fifteen, I was just the right age to jump on it, being a witch sounded like the perfect thing to do when I was stuck living in identical row houses Suburbia Hell, exactly the kind of rebellion that'd really stick it to the Blandy McBlanderson's living next door. And since someone in the family had been a witch of some sort, even if it wasn't Grandpa, I got a bit suspicious, and kept a real close eye on my parents, but... nope. I did figure that no one who lived in such a soulless neighborhood could secretly be dabbling in magic, and turns out... yup! My grandparents at least lived in Bumfuck-Nowhere, which is still a step up from here, and probably easier to hide ~dark riturals~ or whatever you'd like to call it.

As for the Sisterhood, well... remember how I started out my magical career fighting a dragon? I didn't win, but news like that gets around, and since I didn't have any wards up, some of the local witches were able to scry and contact me. Introduced me to the order. At the time, I was pretty drat happy to have people in a position to give me some guidance, I'd almost died, if you remember, at the two friends doing magic with me both quit after that. These days, I'm not so happy to follow what the regional chapter 'president' has to say, he's a know-it-all who doesn't do any field work, not worth bothering with. Most (that is, about half of the ones who care) of the regional Sisters are on my side, at least loosely, they know I'm smart, they know I'm more talented, and they know I'm more powerful, I could probably call a gather and get promoted to leader, but ehhhhh, it'd be a pain. It's not like I'd suddenly get to be leading a bunch of witches into combat, it'd mostly just mean having to deal with people more than I already do. He can keep the job.

No, my rival is Denise sigh 'Appleseed', which is the fakiest fake witch name I've ever heard, but whatever, she's a year older than I am, has been doing the witch game three years longer - which means she started younger than I did, as she constantly remarks - and is nearly as good as me, but she has a giant loving pile of cash, so she travels around in style in a loving nice mobile home doing stuff full time, so she gets more things done than I am. She's the most notable field witch active in the region, aside from me, obviously, so we're both competing for the same recognition. She's not bad person, really, but her ego is so large she's bound to overstep worse than I did with the dragon or try a ritual she can't handle and cause some real problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"

So, I actually hate this part because I know I'm not doing a nine person game but I have been having a tough time agonizing who I am not taking. When it came down to it I decided that going with six was the right play for me right now, just getting back into the swing of things, but that didn't make anything easier because all nine apps were just so good.

I did have to make a choice though, so I did. But for the three of you I didn't take, your apps were awesome and I wanted to take all y'all.

The six I did take though, are:

Hazel Hall, the Spell-Slinger as played by GodFish,
Jack Wolfe, the Chosen as played by Tricky,
Jen Knight, the Professional as played by thelazyblank,
Rowena Carter, the Monstrous as played by Frgrbrgr,
Jace “Deuces” Sweeny, the Crooked as played by Relentless, and
Perseus “Percy” Eurymedon, the Exile as played by Toph Bei Fong

Congratulations to the six of you! If you please, discuss amongst yourselves (and me if you feel so inclined) and come up with your Introductions and Histories for the rest of the group. Obviously we'll get started when that's done, but hopefully we can have it done by the 27th, yes?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alright, introductions time! I think just about everyone is, on the whole, way more in tune with the weird side of things than Jack. So people likely know from the last month or two that he's a big locus of mystical weirdness, there's probably prophecies, and he's just generally like a bug light for weirdoes and monsters.Things can't help but pop up when he's around.

Available Histories posted:

• You are close blood relations. Ask them exactly how close.
• They are destined to be your mentor. Tell them how this was revealed. Percy?
• Your best friend in the world, who you trust totally. Hazel?
• A rival at first, but you came to a working arrangement. Jen?
• Romantic entanglement, or fated to be romantically entangled. Rowena?
• Just friends, from school or work or something. Ask them what.
• They could have been the Chosen One instead of you, but they failed some trial. Tell them how they failed. Deuces?
• You saved their life, back when they didn’t know monsters were real. Tell them what you saved them from.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2018 around 22:00

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

There's really two Rowenas. The first is the clumsy bubbly teenager that she wants to be. As a townie and high-school dropout, it's easy to play off her mistakes - but really, she's scared that she's in over her head, shoved into a world where she doesn't belong. Covers it up with a gritty smile and tears when she gets home.

But of course, then there's the other Rowena. Cold, dark hunger. Maybe you've only seen it in flashes - or maybe you've been unfortunate to have seen it full bear. It's like that moment where your popsicle falls off its stick and you know there's never going back - only, after the hunger has been sated, she snaps back and looks lost and confused. Was that really her? Or is that who she really is under the facade. You'll never really know - all you're certain of is that she claims to be on your side.

You know... for now.

Histories

My thoughts in italics on who'd be good for what, up to discuss

quote:

• You lost control one time, and almost killed them. Ask them how they stopped you.
• They tried to slay you, but you proved you’re on the side of good. Ask them what convinced them. Jen?
• You are romantically obsessed with them. Ask them if they know, and if they reciprocate. Jack?
• Close relations, or a distant descendant. Tell them which.
• You saved them from another of your kind, and prevented reprisals against that individual creature (maybe it’s another good one, or maybe it has a hold over you).
• They are tied to your curse or origin. Tell them how.
• You fought together against the odds, and prevailed. Hazel
• They saved you from another hunter who was prepared to kill you. Ask them what happened. Deuces

Tricky - I could see Rowena either being "just a friend" from around town, or fated to be romantically entangled.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2018 around 21:01

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hazel Hall

Most people in on the secret know Hazel to be a witch, and either as someone who appears to be aggressively overconfident and full of herself or someone who rumors say use dark magics. Those who know her a bit better know that she both uses rather unpleasant spells and that she holds herself to the standard her ego and confidence suggest. Either way, she doesn't always seem like the best choice to take into an investigation, unless you think you're going to need help already.

Initial ideas

quote:

• They act as your conscience when the power goes to your head. Ask them about the last time this happened. Definitely need someone for this: Jack?
• Blood relation, though you were out of contact for years. Ask them how they reconnected with you. The idea of Percy for this seems hilarious - could also see it for Deuces
• Mentor from another life. Ask them what they taught you.
• Your magic-fueled rescue of them introduced them to the supernatural. Tell them what creature was after them.
• An old rivalry has turned into a tight friendship. Tell them what you once fought over. I could see Jen for this
• You thought they were dead, and now they’re back. What “killed” them?
• They’re an on-again/off-again love interest. Ask them what keeps you apart. Tell them what keeps you together. Or Jen for this
• A comrade-in-arms. You’ve faced the biggest threats together. Like the idea of Rowena for this, could work for Percy too

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Deuces

quote:

• This hunter knows about your criminal past. Tell them what crimes they saw you commit. Jack has seen me around campus buying electronics and selling fake IDs and pot.
• This hunter was there when you decided to give up the life and hunt monsters instead. Work out together what happened. Jen?
• This hunter is a cousin or more distant relative.
• This hunter saved your life when a monster had the drop on you. Now you owe them one. Rowena? Were you involved with my semi-failed vampire robbery?
• This hunter worked with you on a semi-legal or illegal job. Work out what it was. Hazel? Did you need some illicit material or a mundane explosion?
• This hunter is your younger sibling or child (possibly adopted). You look out for them. Hazel, this would also work for you and explain how I have some small talent.
• This hunter is your moral compass. When you talk over things with them, their advice keeps you on the straight and narrow. Percy, you seem like a good dude.
• You’re powerfully attracted to this hunter. Maybe someday you’ll deserve them. This seems creeeeeeepy.

Proposal: Rowena saved my rear end during the job where I got my book. We became loose acquaintances, and at a later date she came to me for help while being hunted by Jen, which was when I started taking this whole monster hunting thing a little more seriously.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Relentless posted:

Deuces

Proposal: Rowena saved my rear end during the job where I got my book. We became loose acquaintances, and at a later date she came to me for help while being hunted by Jen, which was when I started taking this whole monster hunting thing a little more seriously.

Like it!

thelazyblank
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Relentless posted:

I'm good with this, which means I'm good with the fiction that Deuces and Rowena talking it out convinced Jen that Rowena's probably not worth hunting down.

quote:

• Your relationship with them has romantic potential. So far it hasn’t gone further.
• They’re on the Agency’s watch list, and you’ve been keeping an eye on them. Jack?
• You are related. Tell them how close.
• You met on a mission and worked together unofficially. And successfully. Deuces?
• They’ve worked with the Agency before, and they’re well regarded.
• You were friends back in training, before the Agency recruited you. This could be military, law enforcement, or some weirder school: decide the details between you.
• They pulled you (and maybe your team) out of a terrible FUBARed mission. Percy here, I'd think?
• You got sent to “deal with them” as a hazard to the Agency’s policies one time. Tell them how you resolved this. Rowena here, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Ah well! Have fun y'all. Thanks for the consideration LGW.

«2 »