Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Problem description:

I bought a 256GB SSD Sandisk plus from amazon to use as a third drive for gaming. I used windows disk manager to create a partition and it did so 'successfully'. However, this partition does not show up in 'My Computer' or the list of volumes in DiskPart. So I tried assigning a drive letter to it using windows disk management. The program gave me the following error when I try: "The operation failed to complete because Disk Management console view is not up to date". However the drive did show up when I looked at the bios.

I then tried switching my boot SSD drive power cables with the new one and all hell broke loose. Windows wouldn't boot and I had to do a system restore which only worked when I put the boot drive on it's old power cable. Now my other secondary drive (HD) is not being detected. WTF?????

Attempted fixes: I just don't know where to start. I strongly feel like it is a hardware issue.

Before switching the pwoer cables around I tried:

- restarting my computer several times
-using Sandisk dashboard to Sanitize and try formatting
- using PartitionGuru to format the SSD again. The error this program give when assign a drive letter is "File not found".

Recent changes: Tried to install the new SSD

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit

System specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xZ6J1cBB7UIewxLeDYvSsP6

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try to reconnect everything exactly as it was before the new SSD.

If your secondary HD still doesn't appear then I'd try a different SATA cable and/or different motherboard port

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zogo posted:

Try to reconnect everything exactly as it was before the new SSD.

If your secondary HD still doesn't appear then I'd try a different SATA cable and/or different motherboard port

Yeah this worked but I would really like to figure out why my drat SSD won't get detected. It shows in bios. My computer also won't recognize USB drives anymore. Time for a new motherboard or just windows install?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah this worked but I would really like to figure out why my drat SSD won't get detected. It shows in bios. My computer also won't recognize USB drives anymore. Time for a new motherboard or just windows install?

I'd make sure you're on the latest BIOS: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/P67AC43

If that doesn't help with the new SSD then I'd try an upgrade to W10.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zogo posted:

I'd make sure you're on the latest BIOS: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/P67AC43

If that doesn't help with the new SSD then I'd try an upgrade to W10.

Upgrading to Windows 10 fixed all my problems. :)

• Locked thread