Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

CommunityEdition posted:

I mean, is Duerte wrong in this case?

Imagine what a scumbag you have to be to be too scummy for Duterte.

A few years ago I had a meeting with an "entrepreneur" who was pushed on me by one of Duterte's 1st-degree cronies who had already invested. The guy was a stark-raving mad conspiracy theorist with all sorts of fake academic and scientific credentials, and he started the meeting off with a rant about how he was on a FinCEN watchlist and was going to travel to the U.S. to kick some (black) man's rear end to unfreeze his riches.

That was quite at trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CommunityEdition posted:

I mean, is Duerte wrong in this case?

lol absolutely not, I just meant he's gonna end up on the wrong end of a death squad back there.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Please describe what you think the “Five Eyes Network” is.

You hear that?

That is the sound of him putting that into Wikipedia and furiously trying to come up with a defense that makes sense.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hi OP I was wondering if you read the snopes link I posted about how you got the Biden clip about Shokin completely backwards. I'm not even saying this is your fault, it was shown out of context on tons of right wing sites. I'm just asking because I was wondering if you were open to the idea that you could have been misled about other things in this way, and wondering if you ever try to go out of your way to find ways you might be wrong about any of this.

I am not here to defend Joe Biden it's just one thing you posted that immediately jumped out as completely verifiably wrong to me.

The whole thing hinges on whether Shokin was truly ineffective at his job, but they do lay out a few arguments to support that. It would be an interesting turn of events if Obama wanted Ukraine to have a better prosecutor that would properly investigate everything. I'll have to look into it more because Ukraine in general seemed to be a den of corruption at the time.

However, what you're saying, and what the article is saying, is that the Obama administration didn't pressure Ukraine into firing its state prosecutor? And that Biden wouldn't have benefitted from this arrangement in any way? Was it okay for Hunter Biden to sit on the board of that company while it was being investigated?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Er what? In as much as she's had media coverage for the last 3 years it's been an old lady going for walks in the woods. She's hardly Ernst Blofeld.

Wait you do a deep dive into one politician's history and make a bunch of assumptions about what they did, but other politicians' actions that are well recorded are just ??????. What.

Ec-loving-scuse me? There's no evidence of the former and the latter doesn't make any sense.

1. I don't know where you're going with this. Her entire life doesn't matter?
2. Again, no idea where you're going with this. I looked into Hillary Clinton because she had a high-profile investigation at the time. Did I condemn or praise McConnell somehow? I think the guy just knows how to navigate the landscape and that's it.
3. They'll conclude the investigation soon, it seems, so they'll do a much better job of proving this than I ever will. It's a complicated mess, I'll need to refresh my memory on that a bit. But alright, as it stands now, I'll relent that I'm throwing out an accusation I can't back up at the moment.
As for the latter, is it because it's stupid or is it because it's inconceivable that something like this could potentially occur? If you think she's trustworthy, send her away.

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Please describe what you think the “Five Eyes Network” is.

An alliance of five countries: United Kingdom, US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada who have a joint spy network that enables them, among other things, to conduct mass surveillance of their citizens. It's a neat arrangement if you want to, for example, spy on the citizens of your own country since you can do this through another country without technically breaking any laws. And hey, that was a good question because it turns out there are other, bigger spy alliances that do the same thing.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ah... Zuh... Do... Do you know which countries are in FVEY? :psyboom:

The original question was about Scotland Yard and London Police, so I focused on those in particular. But ok, I did limit the list of potential countries to just a few. So which country would you send her to where you could be absolutely certain no one would try to take advantage of the situation? What assurance would you have?

nonathlon posted:

So, where there's smoke there's fire? Can't prove that she's not a power-hungry machievalean, so ... ehhhh ... probably she is?

As a thought experiment, what evidence would be sufficient for you to conclude that you're wrong? Is there anything?

1. You'll laugh when you read this, but actually, if it wasn't for the e-mail investigation, I wouldn't have such a terrible opinion of her.
2. The missing e-mails would be a really good piece of evidence.

Somfin posted:

Could anything ever prove any of this to not be true, Blattdorf? Are your beliefs falsifiable?

What theoretical evidence could be produced that would, in your mind, exonerate Clinton?

It is super important, if your beliefs hinge on actual evidence, that there could theoretically be some actual evidence that proves them untrue. This must be the case, or else the belief is based on nothing.

The missing e-mails are central to all of this. It's the Schrodinger's Cat of the whole thing, and she destroyed the whole box, so we will probably never know whether there was anything in there in the first place.

Let me turn this around: Are you sure there wasn't anything in those e-mails that would bury her? Anything that wouldn't change all of your minds? Because if there wasn't, why not just produce them? And don't say it's because of privacy - that argument flew out of the window when they found Top Secret classified information on her server. When the police visit your house, they have a search warrant, and find a bag of drugs on your table, whether it's yours or not, do you honestly think you could say: "Ok, you can check the entire house, except for this room and that room because there's nothing there." and get away with it? If you were the police, would that be normal to you or not? If those rooms then randomly burned down a few days later, would that be normal to you or not?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You keep harping on the "top secret" not a single one of those was classified as such at the time it was sent.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blattdorf posted:

Let me turn this around: Are you sure there wasn't anything in those e-mails that would bury her? Anything that wouldn't change all of your minds? Because if there wasn't, why not just produce them?
On an unrelated topic I am curious what you think about the whole thing with Trump's tax returns. Just curious.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Xiahou Dun posted:

You would say that.

Look at the eyes. Very sensual.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Blattdorf posted:

Let me turn this around

No, let's not turn this around. I asked if your beliefs were loving falsifiable.

Are they, or are they not?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

1. You'll laugh when you read this, but actually, if it wasn't for the e-mail investigation, I wouldn't have such a terrible opinion of her.
2. The missing e-mails would be a really good piece of evidence.

The missing e-mails are central to all of this. It's the Schrodinger's Cat of the whole thing, and she destroyed the whole box, so we will probably never know whether there was anything in there in the first place.
How would you ever know if you had all the missing emails though? Obviously we can't take her word for it, and you already said the FBI found all her hidden supercrimes on Weiner's laptop but they covered it up, so if the FBI said they got all her emails finally and there was nothing new in them would you believe it.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1308912546133553153

Didn't see this get posted in the last couple pages. ABC firmly points the finger at Jim Watkins and his son as Q

Told y'all

Blatterdork: if Clinton had damning things in those emails, I'll say again, WHY HASN'T THE PRESIDENT STOPPED HER? You Qultists have no answers that make sense. You bought a con so Jim Watkins could sell you tshirts.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 24, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Somfin posted:

No, let's not turn this around. I asked if your beliefs were loving falsifiable.

Are they, or are they not?

He just explained they were not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Smeef posted:

I'd never seen this guy before this screenshot. Tracking him down would be impossible because he'd blend right in with the expat community in the Philippines. Like finding a (very dirty) needle in a haystack stack of needles.

Definitely one of those people who look exactly like you would think a nonce would look.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Killary Klinton is a bad bad person but McConnell just ‘knows how the read the lay of the land’ or whatever. Lmao.

Just admit you got conned and you’re too embarrassed to change your mind now.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Just admit you got conned and you’re too embarrassed to change your mind now.

I think that's a next to impossible ask for a lot of folks.
Think of how a handful of US soldiers/diplomats getting killed in a tragic international incident melted conservative and war-hawk brains for years to come, but the present situation with over 200k+ civilians dying to what was a preventable illness, had our president acted instead of doing nothing to "avoid a panic" despite knowing better, is naturally fake news to those same people. It shows an absolute inability to admit they were wrong whether it's to save face/machismo/ego combined with willful spite of how they think only the groups of people they hate are dying to covid. It also shows their military-first (frankly, military only matters) worldviews very clearly.
I don't think there's going to be a lot of changing of minds or walking back from that. If anything we're just seeing folks double down on the madness.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
The details don't matter as long as they get to fantasize about locking everyone else on the planet up in internment camps for orderly disposal.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Saw this article from the Slacktivist guy (known for an exhaustive takedown of the Left Behind books that he got burnt out from doing midway through book 3), where he muses on showing a Q supporting pastor exactly where Q comes from. A goon said that this shocked one of their friends enough to reject Q, but I doubt it would phase someone like the pastor who is prioritizing being a reactionary shithead. And ADTRW gets a, um, shout out.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2020/09/23/john-macarthur-and-the-anime-death-tentacle-rape-whorehouse/#disqus_thread

Funny that the forum called the “Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse” is currently by far the least objectionable of the ones mentioned in the article.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've been on this forum half my life and I never realized it was whorehouse and not warehouse. It's a real Mandela effect moment for sure.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I thought it was wearhouse

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1309274743804133376

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

This is just disinformation spread by the Russian agents / other nefarious cabal members who absolutely must have created Qanon for their own dastardly ends. Don't be fooled by "evidence".

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
QAnon is controlled opposition in all likelihood literally run by Hillary Clinton, James Comey, and the CIA. Why do you think QAnon types keep saying “trust the plan”? Theyre explicitly targeting people who are starting to figure out how deep the rabbit hole goes and encouraging passivity and complacency in those people.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

QAnon is controlled opposition in all likelihood literally run by Hillary Clinton, James Comey, and the CIA. Why do you think QAnon types keep saying “trust the plan”? Theyre explicitly targeting people who are starting to figure out how deep the rabbit hole goes and encouraging passivity and complacency in those people.

as much as I believe Q is a 4chan larp,

Hilary Clinton creating a monster that proceeds to blow up in her face is wildly believable on it's face

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

If there was a money laundering investigation, and someone presented a whole bunch of receipts showing that the business in question was a car dealership that did buy and sell cars, would you consider that compelling?

edit - or if someone thought there was a sniper shooting at your battalion, and someone else said "no that's just a bush, see, it looks like a bush and is perfectly consistent with the ecology of the area, exactly where you would expect that kind of bush to be", would you consider that compelling?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 25, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

If there was a money laundering investigation, and someone presented a whole bunch of receipts showing that the business in question was a car dealership that did buy and sell cars, would you consider that compelling?

edit - or if someone thought there was a sniper shooting at your battalion, and someone else said "no that's just a bush, see, it looks like a bush and is perfectly consistent with the ecology of the area, exactly where you would expect that kind of bush to be", would you consider that compelling?

I must not be following your point. What?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bucky is saying that they see through the sniper's concealment, unlike you with your eyes that can't tell the difference between truth and lies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I am going to answer "yes" in theory because otherwise I would essentially be saying that the money laundering or the sniper were unfalsifiable. In practice however if I was personally leading a money laundering investigation or asserting the existence of a sniper I would probably be very emotionally involved in both of those things being true and I would probably continue with the unfalsifiable belief. The belief in the money laundering sniper.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

If there was a money laundering investigation, and all you had for evidence is a whole bunch of receipts that the business in question was a car dealership and the fact that money laundering operations exist, then yes I would find that compelling exculpatory evidence.

Money laundering leaves trails, in fact that is how you catch it! Lacking evidence that a specific business is engaging in anything illegal, you don't simply assume it is actually a criminal syndicate.

If a sniper is shooting at you, and you are surrounded by potential hiding places, what evidence do you have to point to that specific bush as the sniper's hiding place?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

If there was a money laundering investigation, and all you had for evidence is a whole bunch of receipts that the business in question was a car dealership and the fact that money laundering operations exist, then yes I would find that compelling exculpatory evidence.

Money laundering leaves trails, in fact that is how you catch it! Lacking evidence that a specific business is engaging in anything illegal, you don't simply assume it is actually a criminal syndicate.

If a sniper is shooting at you, and you are surrounded by potential hiding places, what evidence do you have to point to that specific bush as the sniper's hiding place?

yeah this is similar to me and my dad arguing about whether there's "rampant voter fraud" and his main evidence being that "voter fraud has happened before" which is not the same thing as having evidence that massive voter fraud has occurred in a specific election

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Those tweets do not really add anything to the conversation. The potential for 4chan to be used to create false narratives is well understood.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

This is such a spectacular self-own it makes me wonder if this whole thing is a charade or troll or performance art.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Those tweets do not really add anything to the conversation. The potential for 4chan to be used to create false narratives is well understood.

If they don't have anything to do with the conversation, why are you bringing them up?

What is your actual thesis statement?

I'm not disagreeing, I just can't follow your argumentation.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

So you’re saying that false narratives come from 4 Chan.

Have you heard of this narrative from 4chan about how trump Is actually a genius fighting a canal of satanic pedophiles from 4chan?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

They are direct evidence from primary sources about the beginning of the Qanon movement.

Your response is basically "Nuh uh"

Why should we believe you, and not those tweets? What evidence do you have that points to them being fake? What evidence do you have that makes your theory more compelling?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

yes. i'd consider that very compelling evidence that it was a car dealership that bought and sold cars.
or do you mean to ask if i would consider evidence of their cover to be evidence of innocence in the underlying crime?
in which case no. but i'd still need evidence of the underlying crime before i'll believe there is an underlying crime.

quote:

if i must make a choice i'd choose the person i most put my trust in because, again, i'd need some sort of evidence one way or the other to make my decision. you're just screaming "so you just believe everything you see, sheeple!!" at the collective.
here my sources are a guy with a bunch of screenshots and no agenda.
and you.
*cough*

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

If they don't have anything to do with the conversation, why are you bringing them up?

What is your actual thesis statement?

I'm not disagreeing, I just can't follow your argumentation.

The tweets were presented to support the hypothesis that it is merely a larp, and my point is they do not do that.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The tweets were presented to support the hypothesis that it is merely a larp, and my point is they do not do that.

So you are saying Hilary Clinton was actually arrested three years ago?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I re-iterate as someone who wants to understand your point that I can not. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not disagreeing but I can't understand the point.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Why do you keep doing this to yourself

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Why do you keep doing this to yourself

Because we appear to under attack. The right thing to do is to sound the alarm and try to understand the scale and scope of the threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Because we appear to under attack. The right thing to do is to sound the alarm and try to understand the scale and scope of the threat.

Then why do you dismiss out of hand any evidence about the identity of Q that doesn't fit your pre-existing narrative?