Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

hey, do you want the titillating sensation of saying a cuss, but without any of the coolness or earnestness that comes with actually saying a cuss? do you want to insult somebody in a profane way that runs counter to your stated ideals, while claiming (utterly im)plausible deniability about your hypocrisy? have we got the catchphrase for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Xiahou Dun posted:

Because they could just say “gently caress Biden”, there’s nothing stopping them and no reason to use an elaborate, childish code.

It's because they mentally are children. Never got past the 10-12 range of emotional/ social development.

Also yeah just say gently caress Joe Biden: what is this Middle School?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I voted for him and I still say gently caress Joe Biden.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Code is how they get to feel like they're getting one over on libs, and sticking it to the Man.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Argas posted:

Code is how they get to feel like they're getting one over on libs, and sticking it to the Man.

While never feeling the consequences of either, which is significantly more important.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DarklyDreaming posted:

While never feeling the consequences of either, which is significantly more important.

Well that is because they are good things to do and thus there are no bad consequences of it.

Also they want their guy to be the new Man.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
They also want people who aren't obsessed with politics to see them and say "What does Let's Go Brandon mean?" so they have an excuse to rant about how awful Biden is.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can somebody explain to me, a Brit, why the capitol rioters were looking for Mike Pence?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can somebody explain to me, a Brit, why the capitol rioters were looking for Mike Pence?

Loophole in the Constitution might have kind of if you drink at it hard enough meant he could use a VP bureaucratic power (basically signing off on the election) to go rogue and make Trump emperor for life, but he didn’t.

Or well add a lot of legal nuance and them being wrong and dumb, but that’s it boiled down to a single sentence.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Trump built the narrative that Pence was the last line of defense and that he was going to fail in his duty to reject the state elector submissions where Trump didn't like the recent state legislature decisions (mostly around voter access and mail in voting changes) and needed the votes. Trump called him out by name during the rally earlier and in tweets leading up to the day.

Ack, beaten.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Also yeah just say gently caress Joe Biden: what is this Middle School?
No, this is something even worse: homeschool

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Vice President also serves as president of the Senate, one of the two chambers of Congress, and nominally oversees its proceedings. On 1/6, they were performing the constitutionally-mandated counting and acceptance of the electoral votes for President and Vice President, a procedure which involves the president of the Senate (which was Vice President Mike Pence) unsealing and announcing the votes transmitted by the states and accepting the final tally and winner of the Presidential election. Keep in mind that this is typically ceremonial, as the votes are all already established beforehand, but there's just enough ambiguity in the Constitution's (edit: and federal law's) procedures here that the right-wing crackpots could craft all sorts of absurd legal theories for messing with this procedure.

Trump and the insurrectionists had been calling on Pence, serving as president of the Senate, to reject the votes and refuse to announce a winner of the Presidential election. It was an preposterous thing to ask him to do, and had extremely slim odds of accomplishing anything but getting Pence accused of insurrection himself, but it was their last play before Biden was legally announced as the next President. When Mike Pence ignored their demands and announced Biden the winner, Mike Pence was branded as a traitor to Trump and jumped to the top of the list of people they wanted to hunt down when breaching the Capitol.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 29, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What I find most amazing about Jan 6th isn't the trumpets jumping through hoops to say it was antifa, but the centrists who have largely forgotten it happened.

It's wild to me that next to nothing has happened, and the mainstream consensus seems to be politics as usual...

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks for the explanations guys.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

eSporks posted:

What I find most amazing about Jan 6th isn't the trumpets jumping through hoops to say it was antifa, but the centrists who have largely forgotten it happened.

It's wild to me that next to nothing has happened, and the mainstream consensus seems to be politics as usual...

700 people have had cases brought against them and 50 have been sentenced so far, but lots more needs to be done. Fund raisers and organizers have been subpoenaed and the oathkeepers and proud boys have been charged and their dismissal requests were recently denied. At the start they said this would take a while and they would clear out the easy cases first to investigate and set precedents, but yes, it has been bizarrely slow. Biden said early on that he didn't want the investigation to get in the way of his 100 days and he seems to be distancing himself from the trials, which is probably for the best.

Would be nice if some of the commission's conclusions actually penetrated the conversation. Hope it doesn't turn into another Muller report or whatever.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/11/politics/january-6-capitol-riot-punishments-jail/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/proud-boys-members-must-face-jan-6-charges-us-judge-rules-2021-12-28/

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 29, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

eSporks posted:

It sort of sucks to bring up the Nazis, but the comparison is very apt. People absolutely do not want to acknowledge that 1/3rd of the population is actively monstrous. If they did they might have to do something other than bemoaning how "polarized we are".

This has been going on for 40 years, the Republicans do something awful, they get a slap on the wrist or nothing, that becomes the new normal, then they do something even worse.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

700 people have had cases brought against them and 50 have been sentenced so far, but lots more needs to be done. Fund raisers and organizers have been subpoenaed and the oathkeepers and proud boys have been charged and their dismissal requests were recently denied. At the start they said this would take a while and they would clear out the easy cases first to investigate and set precedents, but yes, it has been bizarrely slow. Biden said early on that he didn't want the investigation to get in the way of his 100 days and he seems to be distancing himself from the trials, which is probably for the best.

Would be nice if some of the commission's conclusions actually penetrated the conversation. Hope it doesn't turn into another Muller report or whatever.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/11/politics/january-6-capitol-riot-punishments-jail/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/proud-boys-members-must-face-jan-6-charges-us-judge-rules-2021-12-28/
Even then, no one actually responsible is in any trouble whatsoever yet.

I'm talking more about the kitchen table vibe of it all though. Outside of the lefty circles I'm in, the general attitude towards Jan 6th seems to just be that it was a weird thing that happened, a totally isolated event caused by people going crazy during quarantine. Haha, so funny.
I just don't see mainstream discussion trying to tie it to a larger problem indicative of the republican party, or something that could happen again. Just a weird one off quirk that our news cycle got obsessed with. Lots of people I know will roll their eyes if I use the word insurrection or coup, like its some ridiculous hyperbole. Lots of people believe it was just a crowd that got a little worked up. I still hear people trotting out "both sides" rhetoric when talking about it.
I dunno if this is just secret R's wanting to show their support and not blow their cover or what, but it feels like people just gaslighting themselves because they refuse to accept how utterly broken this country is.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Blotto_Otter posted:

No, this is something even worse: homeschool

The Vice President also serves as president of the Senate, one of the two chambers of Congress, and nominally oversees its proceedings. On 1/6, they were performing the constitutionally-mandated counting and acceptance of the electoral votes for President and Vice President, a procedure which involves the president of the Senate (which was Vice President Mike Pence) unsealing and announcing the votes transmitted by the states and accepting the final tally and winner of the Presidential election. Keep in mind that this is typically ceremonial, as the votes are all already established beforehand, but there's just enough ambiguity in the Constitution's (edit: and federal law's) procedures here that the right-wing crackpots could craft all sorts of absurd legal theories for messing with this procedure.

Trump and the insurrectionists had been calling on Pence, serving as president of the Senate, to reject the votes and refuse to announce a winner of the Presidential election. It was an preposterous thing to ask him to do, and had extremely slim odds of accomplishing anything but getting Pence accused of insurrection himself, but it was their last play before Biden was legally announced as the next President. When Mike Pence ignored their demands and announced Biden the winner, Mike Pence was branded as a traitor to Trump and jumped to the top of the list of people they wanted to hunt down when breaching the Capitol.

Let us put it on the record that back in 2017, my assumption was that Mike Pence and his fellow christo-fascists would assassinate Donald Trump. How wrong I was. Trump had a good read on Pence: that he was a snivelling little bitch who would do what others tell him. Alas for Trump, he did what people besides Trump did.

His career is fukken dead lol for not stepping up to the plate.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You left out the part where Pence called up Dan loving Quayle of all people, who rightly told him to stop dreaming and just sign off on the tally.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

eSporks posted:

...it feels like people just gaslighting themselves because they refuse to accept how utterly broken this country is.

It's this exactly. The president of the united states tried to steal an election by letting some of his advisors execute an attack on congress which led to the legislature conspiring with local governors to execute an actual coup to stop the attempted one, and if you let yourself admit that there's no train of thought that leads to "America is a functioning democracy"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I heard the White House refused to turn over some documents that the 1/6 Commission requested, using "national security" as the reason for refusal. Gonna guess that the Q sphere is taking this as proof that Biden is actively trying to cover up the fact that BLM/Antifa was behind it all and the documents would have exposed that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Twelve by Pies posted:

I heard the White House refused to turn over some documents that the 1/6 Commission requested, using "national security" as the reason for refusal. Gonna guess that the Q sphere is taking this as proof that Biden is actively trying to cover up the fact that BLM/Antifa was behind it all and the documents would have exposed that.

The most likely answer is the names of Informants and their handlers, but this crowd has a long history of using the existence of informants as means to argue that The Deep State planned everything

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Presto posted:

You left out the part where Pence called up Dan loving Quayle of all people, who rightly told him to stop dreaming and just sign off on the tally.

dan quayle was the only other living republican VP who had to certify his own party's electoral loss

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I should start printing some Let's Go Brandon merch, it's fun to separate these morons from their cash by helping them identify their lovely selves

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

dan quayle was the only other living republican VP who had to certify his own party's electoral loss

Al Gore (though not a republican) is in the same club -- in fact he got to certify himself as the loser of the election, no doubt through clenched teeth.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Jan 6th was really just Florida '00 but on a larger scale.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TremorX posted:

I should start printing some Let's Go Brandon merch, it's fun to separate these morons from their cash by helping them identify their lovely selves

Yeah, but somebody did that with q and now five years later I’m probably going to get shot at work by some divorced dad who wants to say the n word.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

eSporks posted:

Brooks Brothers riot, but instead the Walmart men’s section

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Xiahou Dun posted:

Because they could just say “gently caress Biden”, there’s nothing stopping them and no reason to use an elaborate, childish code.

They're cowards and every time they croak out lets go Brandon they're acknowledging that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Okay, but what if we started selling "gently caress Biden" t-shirts? What happens then?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 30, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Cheney?
Unless you mean own administration's electoral loss. tbf it's a rarity in general, America loves electing presidents to second terms

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

eSporks posted:

It can not be reiterated enough, that the Trump campaign hosed up and lost by too much of a margin. They alienated too many people, didn't sufficiently restrict access to voting, and enraged the opposition party so much that they enthusiastically went out to vote against Trump. If they had done so less, if it had come down to a single state, the 6-3 supreme court would not have hesitated to pull the trigger and coronate Trump's second term.

Maybe the republicans will win fair and square in 2024, by that turn out more people on their side and suppress more people on the other side. But if they're facing a close loss, then they will still pull that trigger and crown whoever the gently caress has the nomination the President.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So there is a Reddit post claiming Qanon is freaking out about MTGs pharma stocks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Murgos posted:

So there is a Reddit post claiming Qanon is freaking out about MTGs pharma stocks.

:justpost:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't just post something that juicy and gently caress off.

e: all I can find is this reddit thread posting a screenshot of an Erik, Son of Erik, tweet https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/comments/rtb2he/mtg_gets_attacked_by_qanon_folk_for_owning_pharma/

GreatAwakening dot win has no relevant results for "MTG" or "pharma" when combined, and nothing relevant when searched separately. So I'm guessing they're conveniently memory-holing her.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 1, 2022

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Al Gore (though not a republican) is in the same club -- in fact he got to certify himself as the loser of the election, no doubt through clenched teeth.

I think there were congresspeople then who also tried to get him to raise the issue of an illegitimate election during the session.

Though I can't see Gore going against orthodoxy even if that -was- the time and place for contesting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Don't just post something that juicy and gently caress off.

e: all I can find is this reddit thread posting a screenshot of an Erik, Son of Erik, tweet https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/comments/rtb2he/mtg_gets_attacked_by_qanon_folk_for_owning_pharma/

GreatAwakening dot win has no relevant results for "MTG" or "pharma" when combined, and nothing relevant when searched separately. So I'm guessing they're conveniently memory-holing her.

Yeah, so far the only evidence is that post and thread. So, uh, fake news?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only reason they like Marjorie The Gathering is that she spouts the same nonsense they do. If she no longer satisfies, they switch their hooting to another one who does.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
What the hell just happened with Jim stewartson?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Uglycat posted:

What the hell just happened with Jim stewartson?

he called joe rogan steve bannon's gimp and twitter banned him, then people complained and they unbanned him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bruh he still suspended.