Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

:worship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480z8gPkEz0

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

The rim on my rear wheel blew out while i was fixing a flat in order to get home from work which is 6 miles from the train station, hooray for friendly coworkers driving by :toot:

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?

alnilam posted:

The rim on my rear wheel blew out while i was fixing a flat in order to get home from work which is 6 miles from the train station, hooray for friendly coworkers driving by :toot:

if theyre so friendly why didnt they stop

alnilam

Adiabatic posted:

if theyre so friendly why didnt they stop

they did they drove me and my bike to the station that's what i meant

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
oh word carry on then

vanisher

If they were really your friends they would have let you learn from your mistakes.

(Cue to Alnilam riding around with an extra wheel on his back)

But seriously I'm glad it worked out. I broke a spoke and my rear wheel froze up once, thank goodness it wasn't down hill.

the unabonger
i enjoy riding both of my bicycles

rump buttman

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

at the same time?

:drat:

Olympic Mathlete

:h:

I need to change the gear cables (inners and outers) on my road bike so I bought some. It was only when I got home that I remembered the annoyance of road bikes and replacing cables is you need to put new grip tape on too. And I hadn't bought any.

So I went online, ordered tape and treated myself to some new gloves too. I'll put up with the shifting up twice, down once to move one gear annoyance for now.

cruft

Piso Mojado posted:

here's my hawg

^^^ This bike rules, and makes me pine for Seattle. I dig your choice in panniers and saddle. The fenders and front rack make it look totally badass. This is 100% my kind of bike.

Here's my normal bike, with an assload of ice and a spooky jack-o-lantern hanging from the saddle:

Here's the bike I keep at work, on account of I walk to work and this helps me get around campus quicker:

cruft

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I need to change the gear cables (inners and outers) on my road bike so I bought some. It was only when I got home that I remembered the annoyance of road bikes and replacing cables is you need to put new grip tape on too. And I hadn't bought any.

So I went online, ordered tape and treated myself to some new gloves too. I'll put up with the shifting up twice, down once to move one gear annoyance for now.

I always just cut off the cap at the derailer, then yank the other end out of the shifter. Then you can cram the new cable into the housing and pull it through once it pokes its head out the other end. I use bar-end shifters, though, this may not work with the "I don't have time to move my hand to shift or pull over to pee because I'm busy winning the Tour de Poughkeepsie" integrated brake-shifter race-o-matic things.

cruft

These are totally a thing where I live:

These too, but they're going out of style:

Manifisto

cruft posted:

These are totally a thing where I live:

what on earth does one do on these things when coming up to an intersection where the light is against you and there's cross traffic?

rump buttman

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Manifisto posted:

what on earth does one do on these things when coming up to an intersection where the light is against you and there's cross traffic?

a.k.a. why god invented wheelies

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

I rode a tall-boy for like ten minutes once. it's tricky to mount, start, stop, etc, but you get the hang of it

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

I rode a tall-boy for like ten minutes once. it's tricky to mount, start, stop, etc, but you get the hang of it

I believe it, but I guess I mean as a mechanical matter, what do you do? do you have to hop down onto the ground?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

I rode a tall-boy for like ten minutes once. it's tricky to mount,

THAT'S WHAT SHE loving SAID GODDAMMIT

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

THAT'S WHAT SHE loving SAID GODDAMMIT

:wiggle:

Manifisto posted:

I believe it, but I guess I mean as a mechanical matter, what do you do? do you have to hop down onto the ground?

:wiggle::wiggle:

alnilam

really tho this is probably the easiest way to explain

https://youtu.be/By5E00tl4U0

the one i rode didn't have pegs but you find somewhere else to step

the unabonger
anyone else ride a fixie?

Robot Made of Meat

i flunked out posted:

Too technologically advanced and convenient for me. I use a wheel like in B.C.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

i flunked out posted:

A long time ago (early 80's) I had a housemate who rode a track bike. Fixed gear, no brakes, etc. This was in Seattle, in traffic, up and down all those hills. He survived, as far as I know.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW8kKTvS53w&t=83s

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

cruft

i flunked out posted:

I had one for a couple years, and it was okay I guess. One day while I was fighting like mad to control my downhill speed (lots of hills in the rocky mountains, turns out) it occurred to me that humanity has invented the technology to not make hills a complete pain in the rear end.

In that moment, I was enlightened.

alnilam

I begrudgingly rode a housemate's spare fixie for a few months once after my frame broke and i had to build a new bike transfer my working parts over to another, almost identical ubiquitous 70s schwinn frame

It was a neat experience i guess but it only reinforced my notion that riding a fixie in one of the hilliest cities in the country is dumb

Olympic Mathlete

cruft posted:

I always just cut off the cap at the derailer, then yank the other end out of the shifter. Then you can cram the new cable into the housing and pull it through once it pokes its head out the other end. I use bar-end shifters, though, this may not work with the "I don't have time to move my hand to shift or pull over to pee because I'm busy winning the Tour de Poughkeepsie" integrated brake-shifter race-o-matic things.

I can do the cable inners without too much pissing about but I need to change the outers too. It's been 4 years of use daily and they're full of crud so I bought some new slick teflon ones. I'm hoping they're not poo poo :v:

Olympic Mathlete

I finally got round to installing the new cables. Having gears that shift properly is totally underrated and I should've done it forever ago. :v:

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
My last 3 bikes were stolen, 2 of them by landlords.

I don't know if I'm ready to be hurt again.

the unabonger
I just moved from a place thats up a huge hill from my biking trail to a place thats level with the bike trail and so now the worst part of my ride isnt leaving and coming back. I'm really enjoying it

Roki B

Medical Industrial Complex

Bikes are cool but woah

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I haven't been riding my bike recently despite great weather for several reasons:

- the plastic in the handlebars has become really polymerized over the years; grabbing onto them is like grabbing onto a handful of black goo
-the handlebar apparatus is loose and I don't have the right wrench to tighten it
-I don't trust my tire pressure gauge and am scared of over or under inflating the tires
-the chain is finicky and slips off all the time especially when I change gears

I've been meaning to get everything looked at but the nearest bike repair store is pretty far away. Maybe later today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete

blaise rascal posted:

I haven't been riding my bike recently despite great weather for several reasons:

- the plastic in the handlebars has become really polymerized over the years; grabbing onto them is like grabbing onto a handful of black goo
-the handlebar apparatus is loose and I don't have the right wrench to tighten it
-I don't trust my tire pressure gauge and am scared of over or under inflating the tires
-the chain is finicky and slips off all the time especially when I change gears

I've been meaning to get everything looked at but the nearest bike repair store is pretty far away. Maybe later today...

If you lived nearby I'd fix your bike. Fixing bikes is pretty therapeutic once you know what you're doing.

• Locked thread