Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

Maybe Brad had a life insurance policy that listed Visionary Realms as the sole beneficiary.

THE PLOT THICKENS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If Crowfall found a bunch of gullible investors I can't see why this game can't.

I don't think life insurance plans are allowed to go to a business but I could be dead wrong, it's america after all.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Freakazoid_ posted:

If Crowfall found a bunch of gullible investors I can't see why this game can't.

I don't think life insurance plans are allowed to go to a business but I could be dead wrong, it's america after all.

Oh they most definitely can, and do. From my understanding they don't even pay taxes on it when the employee dies and they collect. Brad's company would have been stupid not to have a policy on him in reality, but some companies do get policies on basically whatever employee, hoping they will die and the company can cash in. America indeed!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm curious how much money they got. Garriot got enough with Shroud of the Avatar to make an EQ (in today's dollars it cost around 4.7 million to develop) but just pocketed the money judging by how that game turned out.

I think it is a matter of audience and their need for nostalgia.

Ultima and Garriots audience were much older than EQ going back to his original games and very little these days caters to that audience.

Crowfall or whatever is a pvp centric one that is also fairly alone and underserved in the big MMO efforts so it would be easier than Pantheon at least.

With EQ there are a ton of mainstream MMOs that pulled people in, Project 99 and all of the other emulators etc that can easily scratch the itch that any Brad game would be trying to get. The target audience is very scattered and have plenty of other existing options.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

just checking in on Pantheon

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11770/pooping

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This but unironically

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

"i would really like to defecate in this game that is never coming out"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think we know what stonefish has on his mind.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think we know what stonefish has on his mind.

:metis:

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Percelus posted:

"i would really like to defecate in this game that is never coming out"

I mean, yeah, that's a valid sentiment.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Can't wait for this really want to play a good mmo again

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

good news, everyone!

Nathan Napalm did a Pantheon themed parody of Longview by Green Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9xfIzrXEHI

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Why am I not surprised to see someone's collection of funko pops prominently on display in that thing?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

Why am I not surprised to see someone's collection of funko pops prominently on display in that thing?

Is that a step up or down from the usual college move of empty booze bottles above the kitchen cabinets?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'd say a step down. At least you could eventually turn in the booze bottles to recycling for pocket change.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Themoor posted:

Can't wait for this really want to play a good mmo again

lol I have bad news for you.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

mmos were never good

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean hey, with Aradune's dirt nap, there's a .001% chance someone with common sense will take over. Ah who am I kidding. When Nagafen's Lair freezes over.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
:(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Flavahbeast posted:

mmos were never good

uo was good and I will not hear otherwise

*pks u*

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LuckyCat posted:

I mean hey, with Aradune's dirt nap, there's a .001% chance someone with common sense will take over. Ah who am I kidding. When Nagafen's Lair freezes over.

With Daybreak nostalgia mining I wouldn't put that too far off of a chance.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With Daybreak nostalgia mining I wouldn't put that too far off of a chance.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Ehud posted:

Nathan Napalm did a Pantheon themed parody of Longview by Green Day!
It baffles me how many unaffiliated people there are for this game putting out videos regurgitating the same scraps of information or discussing irrelevant details. Who watches this stuff? Everything they could possibly be telling you can also just be learned from reading/watching the (tiny amount of) content the devs themselves put out.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Sachant posted:

It baffles me how many unaffiliated people there are for this game putting out videos regurgitating the same scraps of information or discussing irrelevant details. Who watches this stuff? Everything they could possibly be telling you can also just be learned from reading/watching the (tiny amount of) content the devs themselves put out.

Look at the size of that first post and how much made up poo poo is there more than 2 years ago... probably a lot of people on this forum.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Sachant posted:

This has been a tactic for hobby magazines and blogs for a long time. Just reprinting press releases from designers/developers/manufacturers/etc with a bit of half assed analysis from a staff writer is about the cheapest content you can create. It also tends to make advertisers happy since often times its their press release getting printed. Its not too surprising that Youtubers are doing the same thing.

I have no clue who is watching though. That type of coverage has always been boring, super obvious filler that doesnt contribute anything useful to society.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lmao I forgot about this game and went to check the subreddit and that place has become absolute siege mentality. people make negative posts then edit them later about how they were banned because the mod there is a zealous lunatic. there is currently a giant ongoing debate about...coin weight and whether maps should be allowed at all.

lol, example post:

quote:

I imagine climbing to safehavens will be fairly common. Safer staging areas for people to meet in as they watch the trains run by.

Secondary entrances to be smashed open by a warrior on a rooftop will probably be fairly common.

I think pulling to a cliff or roof will be common. Knock NPCs off as they try to climb up. Only the tank stays on ground level.

Pvp would be amazingly frustrating as people lay in wait like the predator in a tree.

I think a safe fall item will be the new jboots as monks laugh at the people clamoring for a mere taste of their greatness.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
hey guys whats goin on in this thread... oh

well uh, have the fallen risen yet? i'm ready to give them all of my money! :homebrew:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

cmdrk posted:

hey guys whats goin on in this thread... oh

well uh, have the fallen risen yet? i'm ready to give them all of my money! :homebrew:

Last I heard he is still dead.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

jabro posted:

Last I heard he is still dead.

Well the cause of death still hasn't been publicly released. It *could* be "Brad died at home in a cryogenic chamber and will be brought back to life like in austin powers when pantheon is ready for his new avatar"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relayer posted:

Well the cause of death still hasn't been publicly released. It *could* be "Brad died at home in a cryogenic chamber and will be brought back to life like in austin powers when pantheon is ready for his new avatar"

He is in trouble if that is criteria for coming back.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Im hoping it still will come out i don't see any other mmos that look interesting.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Themoor posted:

Im hoping it still will come out i don't see any other mmos that look interesting.

This one looked interesting?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Relayer posted:

Naw it was 100% an overdose, dude was nodding out at the 20th anniversary party.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can’t wait to play Pantheon!!!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

I can’t wait to play Pantheon!!!

I'm gonna use walls for crowd control! I'm gonna play a monk and be encumbered by coins! gently caress everyone! No maps!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When you die, your loot stays and monsters can loot your corpse, forcing you to kill them and get the gear back. If another player kills them first they get to keep the gear.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

When you die, your loot stays and monsters can loot your corpse, forcing you to kill them and get the gear back. If another player kills them first they get to keep the gear.

Didn't UO do this in the early days?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Didn't UO do this in the early days?

You reminded me that it actually did yeah!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Ngl that sounds pretty rad. Which means it won’t end up in Pantheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Nothing will be in Pantheon because it will never be released (and I will continue to believe this until it actually is released)