Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
We've also seen elves..

edit: dark myr, halflings, and skar have not been showing in any streams as of yet to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

They should just leave a couple races out for expansions/DLC.

Dark Myr and Skar both seem EQ expansion-y.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Not sure why they didn't just call them dark elves, and skar are obviously the iksar.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

They should just leave a couple races out for expansions/DLC.

Dark Myr and Skar both seem EQ expansion-y.

Can I get a guild invite?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Given the size of the dev team, the huge world actually worked against the game. There were a few out of the way dungeons that were straight up never populated. Most likely because the guy working on it quit/was laid off and no one had the time to pick up what he was working on.

But that was the best part! You could go on bona fide archaeological expeditions in Vanguard, exploring massive unfinished dungeons, cities and areas, discovering clues to the epic storylines that they should have contained. To enter them, you would frequently have to seek out wise explorers, who could tell you how to die in juuust the right spot, so you could respawn on the other side of the wall or whatever.

The world needs more massive unfinished MMORPGS, for that emergent exploration gameplay experience.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 15, 2018

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

With Brad at the helm I don't think it being unfinished is going to be a concern.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

That game's sky boxes and volumetric clouds were pretty incredible, even by today's standards. I remember seeing a video that just play a day/night cycle from that game at 3 or 4x the speed and it was amazing looking.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who though this.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

SimonChris posted:

But that was the best part! You could go on bona fide archaeological expeditions in Vanguard, exploring massive unfinished dungeons. cities and areas, discovering clues to the epic storylines that they should have contained. To enter them, you would frequently have to seek out wise explorers, who could tell you how to die in juuust the right spot, so you could respawn on the other side of the wall or whatever.

The world needs more massive unfinished MMORPGS, for that emergent exploration gameplay experience.

There was a dungeon on the kung fu island that fits this description perfectly. I don't know the name of it, but on the outside it just looks like a ruined temple. Pretty nondescript and to be honest you don't realize it's a dungeon until you're down underground fighting. You get inside and fight undead samurai and statues that look like Mogu from WoW. It was huge. I remember my static group fighting through this dungeon all day and it just kept going and going. Then, by some crazy chance we clicked on a statue and some hidden wall opened up which unlocked an even bigger dungeon below. We camped out inside the dungeon for the night and came back the next day. It took us another 5 hours or so to crawl through this second wing and I'm pretty sure we didn't even cover half of it. It was massive. We scooped up so much loot that we were having to pick and choose what to keep and what to destroy.

The best part was, this particular dungeon was waaaaaay out of the way and nobody really went there, especially the deep parts. Everyone went to the Emperor's Tomb instead. We completely missed out on that dungeon.

Vanguard was the greatest MMO commanded by the worst people and came out way before it's time. If Pantheons world can emulate the size and scale of Vanguards they may have a shot at holding a steady niche community together.

It won't, but an old man can dream.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

forge posted:

Not sure why they didn't just call them dark elves, and skar are obviously the iksar.

I look forward to the deity system, with totally new and unheard of gods like- Innyruuk and Tazic Chule

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Little bit of footage from the new zone at Pax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyZggrryKnU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
At this point I have a hard time seeing gameplay getting any better. I'd rather get an idea how long they expect people to level, what kind of gear variety we're looking at, how they're going to handle overcrowding, hours that aren't prime time, and other ways to keep people interested other than shouting LFG in a zone for hours.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
This is basically EQ1 recreated. If you hated EQ1 then you might as well move on.

They already stated that there won't be instances and overcrowding will be handled the same way it was back in the day. Go somewhere else, wait, or create your own group and push others out. I think what has been said in all the streams I've watched is that the zones can now be gigantic unlike back when. So dungeons, etc will all be quite larger.

When people post poo poo about this now days, thinking back, I feel like somehow we managed just fine. This is my last hope for bringing back something other than mmos where you roll your face across the keyboard and win.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i miss seeing 80+ people in the dreadlands

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

forge posted:

This is basically EQ1 recreated. If you hated EQ1 then you might as well move on.

They already stated that there won't be instances and overcrowding will be handled the same way it was back in the day. Go somewhere else, wait, or create your own group and push others out. I think what has been said in all the streams I've watched is that the zones can now be gigantic unlike back when. So dungeons, etc will all be quite larger.

When people post poo poo about this now days, thinking back, I feel like somehow we managed just fine. This is my last hope for bringing back something other than mmos where you roll your face across the keyboard and win.

I can understand why they want to do the 100% non instanced dungeons, but I really wish they would do like they did for the early EQ2 dungeons where most of it was non instanced, but the final encounter with the big bad was so a single group couldn't shut everyone else out of setting the big bad guy for hours at a time.

In any case, here's hoping they adopt some of the good things that came after EQ. I would be very cross if warriors went back to 'taunt every 3 seconds, kick /bash every 10, wait for auto attack otherwise you chump'.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hexel posted:

i miss seeing 80+ people in the dreadlands

"Gorenaire to zone"

forge
Feb 26, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

I can understand why they want to do the 100% non instanced dungeons, but I really wish they would do like they did for the early EQ2 dungeons where most of it was non instanced, but the final encounter with the big bad was so a single group couldn't shut everyone else out of setting the big bad guy for hours at a time.

In any case, here's hoping they adopt some of the good things that came after EQ. I would be very cross if warriors went back to 'taunt every 3 seconds, kick /bash every 10, wait for auto attack otherwise you chump'.

If you watch their last video, in the one dungeon they showed that is pretty much complete. At the boss a giant door falls and locks you in with the boss. I'm not saying you can't cheese it and run in. But they are taking some steps to keep others out while your fighting the boss. That might just be that zone only as we have not really seen anything else.

They have skills beside kick and bash, it uses stamina which regens. So you get to choose what you need to do but you can't just roll your face over the keyboard with 0.5s delays. I would say it looked like it took about 10 seconds to regen from 0. I think you could probably perform about 3 actions before 100% sta is used. Again all this just by watching the videos. Exp looks much higher than original EQ as well. No idea on hell levels.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

New gameplay stream on Thursday

https://twitter.com/pantheonmmo/status/986650243075923968?s=21

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Beat me to it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

forge posted:

If you watch their last video, in the one dungeon they showed that is pretty much complete. At the boss a giant door falls and locks you in with the boss. I'm not saying you can't cheese it and run in. But they are taking some steps to keep others out while your fighting the boss. That might just be that zone only as we have not really seen anything else.

They have skills beside kick and bash, it uses stamina which regens. So you get to choose what you need to do but you can't just roll your face over the keyboard with 0.5s delays. I would say it looked like it took about 10 seconds to regen from 0. I think you could probably perform about 3 actions before 100% sta is used. Again all this just by watching the videos. Exp looks much higher than original EQ as well. No idea on hell levels.

Is less so about keeping others from loving with you while you camp the proverbial throne room waiting for the boss and more so about preventing one group from running a monopoly on the throne room encounter for hours on end. My preference would be for the final encounter of the dungeon to be both a stout challenge and also something everyone can access without calling a camp. Everything else in the dungeon? Sure, who cares, open dungeon for all the rest of that bullshit.

At the very least I would hope for like a EQ1 Plane of Justice style events that sucks your group into a separate area for a little one off challenge for a modicum of a reward.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The fact that there will be camps again is music to my ears. I don't get the issue with a group running a monopoly, since you have to actually fight to the boss which is not easy. The point of open world is to make items actually rare, and cause contention with other players. Just roll up and ks them, who cares.

Edit: also unlike wow, back in eq good items were not always on the boss. For instance mage items dropped off of one type of mob, rogue might be on another. There were a lot of different bosses in the zones which dropped a rarity of gear. So the end boss quote unquote, might not even really be the best for your class.

Guano Harvester anyone?

forge fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 18, 2018

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Visiting the forums for this game and there's a thread about how loot all buttons kill immersion. Something I never would have even considered.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

forge posted:

The fact that there will be camps again is music to my ears. I don't get the issue with a group running a monopoly, since you have to actually fight to the boss which is not easy. The point of open world is to make items actually rare, and cause contention with other players. Just roll up and ks them, who cares.

Edit: also unlike wow, back in eq good items were not always on the boss. For instance mage items dropped off of one type of mob, rogue might be on another. There were a lot of different bosses in the zones which dropped a rarity of gear. So the end boss quote unquote, might not even really be the best for your class.

Guano Harvester anyone?

I like this guy. Are you LFG?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

forge posted:

You know how open pvp usually leads to the sheep leaving the server, until there's only wolves, and then the wolves leave when the better wolves win?

There's a pve version of this. It happens when a few big guilds want the same open world bosses for their loot.

At best, you get everyone to "agree" to a calendar that regulates when which guilds get to farm what. Otherwise, everyone tries to kill steal and you get something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opl77bP7vbY

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Huh. I always thought Cloudsong was a WoW thing. Who knew. It sounds like the name of a bow.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cloudsong was a artifact cloak in the second DAoC expansion. Artifacts were special items that you had to level up and they had a chance to drop from certain monsters, a lot like powerful items in EQ. The cloudsong video is about someone on the DAoC full pvp server being killed while camping the NPC that drops Cloudsong and then the killers get a cloudsong from the monster and the killed player goes on their teamspeak or whatever and is real mad. iirc it's staged tho

If I remember right the artifact fights weren't on insanely long timers and didn't necessarily need a group, a lot of them were possible to solo and on normal servers they were in PvE-only zones. They were hotspots on the full pvp servers though and Cloudsong was both really in demand and pretty close to a portal hub, so a lot of loving cloudsongs got stolen

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 19, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Freakazoid_ posted:

You know how open pvp usually leads to the sheep leaving the server, until there's only wolves, and then the wolves leave when the better wolves win?

There's a pve version of this. It happens when a few big guilds want the same open world bosses for their loot.

At best, you get everyone to "agree" to a calendar that regulates when which guilds get to farm what. Otherwise, everyone tries to kill steal and you get something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opl77bP7vbY

poo poo happened all the time in EQ1, I had specifically created a monk and leveled up to max, guild geared him etc just so I could train other guilds with him and my druid to fight for raid bosses. Ssra temple was the most fun biggest shitshow ever on my server (I had fun because our guild always won, we cock blocked every other guild from the emperor for months because he was the last piece of the key to get to the last raid zone of the expansion).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MF_James posted:

poo poo happened all the time in EQ1, I had specifically created a monk and leveled up to max, guild geared him etc just so I could train other guilds with him and my druid to fight for raid bosses. Ssra temple was the most fun biggest shitshow ever on my server (I had fun because our guild always won, we cock blocked every other guild from the emperor for months because he was the last piece of the key to get to the last raid zone of the expansion).

That's the thing though: That sort of stuff was fine for me in high school, but I've got way less tolerance for it now. One guild being able to monopolize content like that and actively body block people from seeing the endgame sounds deeply unfun in the context of modern MMOs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think you mean deeply unfun in the context of anything ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pantheon will eventually change course and go to how Everquest is now where you can solo all content and hire a mercenary to fight with you. Pantheon's design decisions won't work in the year 2018 because everyone who liked that sort of gameplay was a kid or young adult in college and had the time to do the crazy poo poo that classic Everquest required of them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Pantheon will eventually change course and go to how Everquest is now where you can solo all content and hire a mercenary to fight with you. Pantheon's design decisions won't work in the year 2018 because everyone who liked that sort of gameplay was a kid or young adult in college and had the time to do the crazy poo poo that classic Everquest required of them.

And what makes you think highschoolers and early 20's people won't go at this? As long as the interface isn't circa 2002 you can probably garner in the younger generation with time on their hands.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

And what makes you think highschoolers and early 20's people won't go at this? As long as the interface isn't circa 2002 you can probably garner in the younger generation with time on their hands.

Because better games exist now so you aren't forced to play that if you want an MMO.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the 22 people who want a niche game like this will all be playing and p happy, I bet

forge
Feb 26, 2006
This thread..

I can't get any bosses because there are so many people camping them.

No one is going to play this game because it's made for 50 year olds.

Imagine when it's just a little bit of both and everything works out fine..

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Gameplay stream is live:

https://www.twitch.tv/Lassiz

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lets be real, this game is going to shut down in similar style to Vanguard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

Gameplay stream is live:

https://www.twitch.tv/Lassiz

Watching the replay. The artist style reminds me a ton of Vanguard, and it appears to play very similar to Vanguard and Everquest. I like what I am seeing, I just have zero faith this game will last.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think it's different enough from anything else on the market that it could be pretty popular if it it makes it to release and doesn't suck. Vanguard came out a couple weeks after Burning Crusade released and had to compete with Age of Conan and Warhammer Online within the first couple years. If Pantheon comes out in 2020 there probably won't be anything like it on the horizon besides the newest WoW expansion.

I think the biggest challenge will be making a big cool world that isn't a buggy mess. As far as I know the Visionary Realms team is still pretty tiny by mmo standards

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Flavahbeast posted:

I think it's different enough from anything else on the market that it could be pretty popular if it it makes it to release and doesn't suck. Vanguard came out a couple weeks after Burning Crusade released and had to compete with Age of Conan and Warhammer Online within the first couple years. If Pantheon comes out in 2020 there probably won't be anything like it on the horizon besides the newest WoW expansion.

I think the biggest challenge will be making a big cool world that isn't a buggy mess. As far as I know the Visionary Realms team is still pretty tiny by mmo standards

It's a generic fantasy hardcore MMO. There really isn't anything unique about it. There's nothing else like it on the market because companies know better than the waste money on it.

Games like UO and EQ only worked because there weren't better alternatives at the time.

Brad doesn't exactly have a reputation for releasing non-buggy mess completed games. If it does eventually get released it will maybe limp along with a few hundred players, especially if they want a subscription model.

Edit: Also a reminder that they tried to use kickstarter for it and barely got over 50% of their 800k goal.

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 20, 2018

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I really hope it does attract the attention of the "DPS race for everything" crowd. Because they all deserve each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Minnesota Mixup posted:

It's a generic fantasy hardcore MMO. There really isn't anything unique about it. There's nothing else like it on the market because companies know better than the waste money on it.

Games like UO and EQ only worked because there weren't better alternatives at the time.

Brad doesn't exactly have a reputation for releasing non-buggy mess completed games. If it does eventually get released it will maybe limp along with a few hundred players, especially if they want a subscription model.

Edit: Also a reminder that they tried to use kickstarter for it and barely got over 50% of their 800k goal.

I think it's not really because it's hardcore. I think most investors who have the money already got burned on the "My mmo I invested in didn't get wow subs in 2010 and I lost a poo poo ton of money". I don't think really anyone is investing in mmos currently which is why almost all of them are crowd funded. So being hardcore or not isn't really it. I don't think people who invest are wasting money on any mmo.

I think the main reason the kickstarter failed was that this is post Star Citizen and Brad has a not all that good rep. I had money to piss away and didn't back because he had no game to show and I was already around for Vanguard, and really EQ. Where as now he has a decent game to show and from what I can tell, pretty competent devs now working there. Times change.. I don't know that I believe him anymore now than before. But I certainly can tell Joppa is a drat good dev and in charge of most everything.