Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

cmdrk posted:

is the video.. gone? Twitch link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Here's his youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrM8iN2K2-M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
It seems to be that this content is possibly not even attached to the overworld and is just simply made as a "demo" to send to investors as a one and done experience.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For a look at how the actual game looks and not this curated demo, see this video posted 2 months ago:

https://youtu.be/RGtB7F3ddBM

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

LuckyCat posted:

For a look at how the actual game looks and not this curated demo, see this video posted 2 months ago:

https://youtu.be/RGtB7F3ddBM

I sure hope they aren't planning to sell "millions" of copies.

Because that looks boring and old as gently caress.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

I sure hope they aren't planning to sell "millions" of copies.

Because that looks boring and old as gently caress.

Very happy with all the comments calling this "SICK!" and "My most anticipated MMO!"...

Even when you factor in the placeholder graphics, there is nothing impressive here.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

ErrEff posted:

Very happy with all the comments calling this "SICK!" and "My most anticipated MMO!"...

Even when you factor in the placeholder graphics, there is nothing impressive here.

I was personally impressed by the boss skill effects. That black hole ray was pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ZHEi-zh_s&t=6720s

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 12, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Well, they just got funded for another few years of development hell :doit:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

hobocrunch posted:

Well, they just got funded for another few years of development hell :doit:

l m a o

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

legitimately happy for some game developers getting to keep their jobs. I think it's a very bad investment but hell I'd rather this hosed project get more money than star citizen. They haven't started selling $10k castles yet have they?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We got new life, baby! I’m gonna have to redo the OP!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

In addition to this achievement, Christopher R. Kronenthal will join the company as a board member. Chris is widely recognized for his expertise in managing and architecting global solutions and omni-channel environments for the world’s largest brands, and providing Fortune 500 companies with industry-leading solutions consulting to drive global commerce connectivity and payment security.

“We are very fortunate to have Chris Kronenthal join us, and to have his support closing the financing round,” says Christopher Rowan, Chairman and CEO. “The partnership just makes sense. He has incredible insight and a rare acumen that aligns with all of our goals for Pantheon, and Visionary Realms as a company.” Kronenthal added, “It is clear that the team at Visionary Realms is deeply committed and competent in all things related to game design and ecosystem, technology and architecture. Their expression of this in the world of Pantheon is extremely evident, and I am confident that gamers of all types will enjoy this epic adventure!”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

"deeply committed and competent" seems like a rare thing to have to throw out in an announcement. It's like just before the quote someone asked him "how do you respond to accusations that the company has a half-assed approach to and poor understanding of modern technology and communication?"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
can't wait for that money to be gone in less than a year with absofuckinglutely nothing to show for it lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Official announcement

https://visionaryrealms.com/further-funding-acquired-for-pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/

quote:

Visionary Realms, Inc., a multiple award-winning independent video game studio, today announced a seven-figure investment into Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

The investment provides a runway for Visionary Realms to bring the hotly-anticipated Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen to its goals in 2021 and beyond. The studio plans to use the funds to continue the game’s development; begin preparations to support over 8,000 players already signed up for an alpha release of the game; and strengthen its back-end systems supporting the game client, accounts and front-end web platforms.

In addition to this achievement, Christopher R. Kronenthal will join the company as a board member. Chris is widely recognized for his expertise in managing and architecting global solutions and omni-channel environments for the world’s largest brands, and providing Fortune 500 companies with industry-leading solutions consulting to drive global commerce connectivity and payment security.

“We are very fortunate to have Chris Kronenthal join us, and to have his support closing the financing round,” says Christopher Rowan, Chairman and CEO. “The partnership just makes sense. He has incredible insight and a rare acumen that aligns with all of our goals for Pantheon, and Visionary Realms as a company.” Kronenthal added, “It is clear that the team at Visionary Realms is deeply committed and competent in all things related to game design and ecosystem, technology and architecture. Their expression of this in the world of Pantheon is extremely evident, and I am confident that gamers of all types will enjoy this epic adventure!”

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen has won the Player’s Choice Most Anticipated upcoming game four years running at MMORPG.com and polled as second most anticipated game at Massively OP’s 2020 Awards.

somebody put up at LEAST a million dollars

into Pantheon

hahaha!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They may make it to alpha before the 10 year mark. Probably not. It’s hilarious to me that we’re on 7 years and they have only a compressed demo to show investors and nothing else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol whyyyyyy???

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This timeline works out really well for me. I have a baby due in May.

Beta should launch right around the time she's starting kindergarten.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ehud posted:

And you can gift her a virtual castle on launch as a graduation present from high school.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Who is this investor that saw the last live stream and gave these guys 1 million dollars? Is this one of those instances where they pitched Pantheon as a "Online multiplayer game, just like the popular Fortnite!" and the investors all threw their credit cards at them.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Might be the same guy who gave star citizen a few million.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
How on earth could someone with decision making skills that poor end up with that much money?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Who is this investor that saw the last live stream and gave these guys 1 million dollars? Is this one of those instances where they pitched Pantheon as a "Online multiplayer game, just like the popular Fortnite!" and the investors all threw their credit cards at them.

A) They managed to get the attention of an old school MMO fan that has more money than sense and yearns for the good old days of EQ-likes
B) This is an investment fund that intends to make that money back through grifting every last cent out of passionate (blind) fans, having seen other crowdfunded games get away with doing the same

I know which option I'm betting on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

How on earth could someone with decision making skills that poor end up with that much money?

They inherited it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

It is an extremely common fallacy - one deeply ingrained through propaganda into our minds - to believe that acquiring vast sums of money is a matter of hard work, ingenuity, and discipline, and not cruelty, rapace, and pure, dumb luck.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Let's see how long it takes them to get a 3D artist (to be fair they really need at least 3-4 of them if not more).

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Ehud posted:

Official announcement

https://visionaryrealms.com/further-funding-acquired-for-pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/

somebody put up at LEAST a million dollars

into Pantheon

hahaha!

This is like the 6+ thing this year that's made me think I could right now quit my job and fund a lavish lifestyle based off of what I know MMO players want out of a new game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ehud posted:

Congrats!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They would've had to throw Brad's dead body under the bus, pinning all the development problems on him.

I'd believe it, too. Not that I would throw a million at them, but I'd buy that excuse.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Freakazoid_ posted:

They would've had to throw Brad's dead body under the bus, pinning all the development problems on him.

I'd believe it, too. Not that I would throw a million at them, but I'd buy that excuse.

Unless it's Brad's money funding it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

knox posted:

This is like the 6+ thing this year that's made me think I could right now quit my job and fund a lavish lifestyle based off of what I know MMO players want out of a new game.

A couple people who weren't dopes coulda put out what they did with seven years of time to do it - without placeholder art to boot. Amazing they managed to con someone out of a million bucks.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 21, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I'm not surprised at anything regarding people giving their money away freely. I saw someone talk about giving tens of thousands of dollars to Chronicles of Elyria game, those motherfuckers literally set up their funding tiers in the most scam way possible. It entices sad /lonely/bored MMO fans to donate on the premise when game launched they have a substantial amount of 'power within the game and the totally conceptual housing features.

Every single thing I see from these MMO companies in perpetual development hell, the incompetence is frightening. I've posted a couple YouTube links of guy who analyzing some of their interviews, it's pretty scary stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I seriously cannot believe they secured more funding holy loving lol

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pretty much every...no, actually every...mmo started since the late 00s I assume is a scam or vaporware, unless it has an already existing IP behind it (I can't remember when Tor and Lotro came out).

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Did everyone miss the part where they announced a new board member in the press release? It’s pretty obvious where the money came from.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, the fintech sector. That guy is an executive at some company called FreedomPay.

So... Pantheon might now be partly owned by a payment processing company.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, if anybody knows how to exploit desperate people for every last cent, it would be financial services companies.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
It was only a matter of time before they found out about MMOs along with f2p business models and the whales they exploit. I look forward to Pantheon offering 60 month financing plans for in game real estate.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I was assuming the dude was some bitcoin dweeb that got in early; based on the fintech poo poo that's probably a safe bet. He decided now was time to cash in slightly and get on the board of a scam MMO yet to admit defeat or rise from scam ashes to become a ponzi scheme that has to pay off legal fees from not delivering a game the first time after looting millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

at this point im legit impressed the game is still going