Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I measure everything in testes (or testis for singular). It works for mass, length, volume, and lols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Didn't we use the metric system to get to the moon? Just saying...

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Now that the NFL has been crippled by lord trump, i dont see why not. I can learn to dispense my "petrol" in "litres". Kilometers aren't that hard for driving; one week in Canada with the GPS on telling me to make my turn in 400 meters and it made perfect sense. Measuring my food in grams is going to be tougher, I think.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Waltzing Along posted:

Didn't we use the metric system to get to the moon? Just saying...

:wrong:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They tried in the 80s my third grade math teacher told us at the beginning of the year "everything is changing and when you kids are adults there's gonna be two types of people; those who don't know the metric system, and those with jobs" but after a few weeks all our homework was in imperial units again and someone asked what happened to the metric stuff and he said none of it really mattered

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

criscodisco posted:

They tried in the 80s my third grade math teacher told us at the beginning of the year "everything is changing and when you kids are adults there's gonna be two types of people; those who don't know the metric system, and those with jobs"

This may be almost true once driverless cars take over and zillions of people are out of work.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Waltzing Along posted:

This may be almost true once driverless cars take over and zillions of people are out of work.

no it will be because the driverless cars ran everyone over

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if you measure weight in heads of your enemies?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wamdoodle posted:

no it will be because the driverless cars ran everyone over

Because they were developed by people using imperial units.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
There are some convenient applications of the imperial system. Inches break down into p convenient 16ths which is why even in scientific applications the tubing is generally measured in imperial units even if everything else is metric.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
In ingerland UK, how many pebbles to a stone?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

the thing about the US is basically everything uses metric now... except for distance and temperature, the last holdouts. Now we even have like 16.923482384 oz bottles (because its 500 ml)

If you use anything other than SAE horsepower to denote engine output, you are an embarrassment to your ancestors and a worthless subhuman. Get the gently caress outta here with your kW/PS ratings.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
In the future, there will be two kinds of countries: the ones that use the metric system, and the ones with self driving cars

BOOM

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

criscodisco posted:

They tried in the 80s my third grade math teacher told us at the beginning of the year "everything is changing and when you kids are adults there's gonna be two types of people; those who don't know the metric system, and those with jobs" but after a few weeks all our homework was in imperial units again and someone asked what happened to the metric stuff and he said none of it really mattered

I thought you were going to say the math teacher disappeared. :tinfoil:

Woden
May 6, 2006

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

In the future, there will be two kinds of countries: the ones that use the metric system, and the ones with self driving cars

BOOM

Other countries will get them but only after enough Imperialists are murdered by them to saite the metric gods.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

American here. Between legal and illegal drugs and the fact that all math and science is actually taught in metric americans know metric except for casual matters of distance. Roadsigns, speed, and football ensuring the yard won't die.

Standard is used in places where precision or ease of calculation doesnt really matter but it's not like we're measuring medicine in drams

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

American here. Between legal and illegal drugs and the fact that all math and science is actually taught in metric americans know metric except for casual matters of distance. Roadsigns, speed, and football ensuring the yard won't die.

Standard is used in places where precision or ease of calculation doesnt really matter but it's not like we're measuring medicine in drams

I do all my calcs in Murcan

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
things the imperial system is good for:

- being an old white man in Washington
- crashing spacecraft
- crashing self-driving cars
- using imperial wrenches on imperial nuts (heh, nuts) even though half the fasteners on American cars are in metric so you still need metric wrenches anyway

so convenient

actually it's pretty good for temperature, just because it's a finer gradient

Gone Fission fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 27, 2018

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are people in this world who think water boils at 100 degrees. Good luck eating hard boiled eggs buddy. :jerkbag:

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

what actually is a mile? i mean i know what it is in practical terms

it's how far i can drive in the city in a minute if there aren't too many people in my way

it's 1/65th of the number on those white signs on side of the highway, which have no explicit unit of measurement written on them

but what is it?

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

like is there a race of Cloverfield-ish giants who are one mile tall, or who have fingers one mile long? i don't see what other kind of body part it would be

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gone Fission posted:

like is there a race of Cloverfield-ish giants who are one mile tall, or who have fingers one mile long? i don't see what other kind of body part it would be
A mile is eight Edward Furlongs. Ancient law and tradition dictate that all village reeves must keep an Edward Furlong on hand for yeoman use.

It's really pretty simple.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All foreigners must memorize this chart before we allow them in the country, we do pop quizzes at customs and if you fail you're sent to Guantanamo Bay. :911:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Whoever decided a mile should be a different measurement than a nautical mile had to be trolling

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Just lol if you actually measure things beyond 'fistful' or 'pretty far'. Ain't no way to live your life, all metered.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

MrOzzy posted:

Ameritric system
Ftfy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

science and travel: metric
personal measurements: imperial

canada has the best of both worlds

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

also op you can tell the ladies you’re packing nine if you use metric

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I always think this topic is a good one to expose the I loving love science facebook subscribers vs people who understand the underlying reason for units in the first place. Measurements are all about practicality, scientifically Kelvin (or Rankine if you'd prefer) is the most accurate temperature scale we have to work with, negative temperatures don't make sense from a definition sense and many important calculations would fall apart if you used Celsius, and yet even the most metric loving of countries report their weather in C rather than K because it'd be cumbersome to have your average day range from 273 to 311. Our variety of units are all about having practical numbers to work with while still being convertible to standards when the need arises. There's nothing inherently wrong with using whatever unit is most convenient for your applications that provides an intuitive and understandable range within that area and that's why there are so many options available for any given concept.

In actual research sciences people use a variety of non standard units for convenience purposes related to their field. They're used in design, construction, and testing in a way that fits comfortably with the tools available and investigator's practical experience that gives them an underlying understanding of what numbers seem within an appropriate range and which seem unreasonable at a glance. When it comes to writing a paper or publishing a patent, you can always convert them after the fact but it's often unnecessary because everyone else is working with and understands the same sort of units, different fields all have different preferences and standards. People who get super bent out of shape about imperial units in my experience have no actual background in any area where they would actually need to use them in practical applications and seem to be so vocal as a sort of generic homage to some nebulous science gods.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't think anyone is advokating metric in terms of "lets turn life into science", it just makes more sence. As soon as you figured out how a centimeter relates to meter you know by extension how many meters are in km or millimeters are in meter etc. Also its useful for general day to day applications such as if you know that 1 l of water weighs 1 kg you can assume that milk or other drinks will weigh roughly the same and tell your friend who asks you to get him 4 2l bottles of sprite from a shop around the corner to gently caress off and get it himself.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

ArbitraryC posted:

I always think this topic is a good one to expose the I loving love science facebook subscribers vs people who understand the underlying reason for units in the first place. Measurements are all about practicality, scientifically Kelvin (or Rankine if you'd prefer) is the most accurate temperature scale we have to work with, negative temperatures don't make sense from a definition sense and many important calculations would fall apart if you used Celsius, and yet even the most metric loving of countries report their weather in C rather than K because it'd be cumbersome to have your average day range from 273 to 311. Our variety of units are all about having practical numbers to work with while still being convertible to standards when the need arises. There's nothing inherently wrong with using whatever unit is most convenient for your applications that provides an intuitive and understandable range within that area and that's why there are so many options available for any given concept.

In actual research sciences people use a variety of non standard units for convenience purposes related to their field. They're used in design, construction, and testing in a way that fits comfortably with the tools available and investigator's practical experience that gives them an underlying understanding of what numbers seem within an appropriate range and which seem unreasonable at a glance. When it comes to writing a paper or publishing a patent, you can always convert them after the fact but it's often unnecessary because everyone else is working with and understands the same sort of units, different fields all have different preferences and standards. People who get super bent out of shape about imperial units in my experience have no actual background in any area where they would actually need to use them in practical applications and seem to be so vocal as a sort of generic homage to some nebulous science gods.

I don't see many conveniet applications of the imperial system over the metric system other then historical reasons.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
they if your hand is bigger than your face it means you have cancer

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i am holding my hand up to my face rn irl to check if i have cancer

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

lonesomedwarf posted:

i am holding my hand up to my face rn irl to check if i have cancer

please be sure to visit your regular physician in the event that you have a small face/large hand

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MrOzzy posted:

I don't see many conveniet applications of the imperial system over the metric system other then historical reasons.

i'd rather drink a pint than a half liter
same with gallons, a gallon is more reasonable to make or use than a 4-liter

However wine should stick in 750ml, stuff like that is divided into small enough portions that it's not a big deal

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Everything should be measured in football fields

"Bake at 37.5 Michigan Stadiums for 3 quarters without commercials"

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i'd rather drink a pint than a half liter
same with gallons, a gallon is more reasonable to make or use than a 4-liter

However wine should stick in 750ml, stuff like that is divided into small enough portions that it's not a big deal

Which gallon are you referring to? The standard imperial gallon, the imperial gallon, standard US gallon, the US dry gallon, ...?

• Locked thread