Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kinda annoyed Badeline didn't have any B-side dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

And with that we go through the last remaining B-Sides. But there's still something we need to do after this.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Okay, so 7-B was when I had to put this game down. I suffered a LOT just getting through 5-B (over 1000 deaths for the first time) and I could feel myself getting burnt out, so I skipped 6-B and went to 7-B. I got through 7-B after around 1500 deaths and having to look up the instructions to the up-dash wall jump, and as soon as I dashed into the heart, the game crashed and it didn't save my progress (though it did save my 1500 deaths), so I had to do 7-B AGAIN.

It was at that point that I knew I had reached my limit. I don't feel bad about leaving things like that because the game itself has taught us that there's no shame in it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hah, a lot of those 7B screens reminded me that they were only on the B-sides... Anyway, warm-up's over. Let's keep going!

Say Goodbye was written by Matthew Burns, who also wrote the soundtracks for the Zachtronics games - Infinifactory, Shenzhen I/O and Opus Magnum, that last one in particular being very reminiscent of this track.

Speaking of more game, I'm kind of disappointed that the only time different level mechanics are combined, other than one single room in 2A, is in little gimmicky "one mechanic from every chapter" rooms in the Core. If there's one thing that really makes me hope this game gets a level editor, it's seeing how you could combine all the various mechanics into unique challenges.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, watching those levels, I found it hard to believe I'd actually beaten them. I don't remember this at all. :stare:

I had nearly 5000 deaths all told clearing the A- and B-sides. When I saw the postcards, I laughed, fired up the first level, basically immediately died, said "yep, I'm done", and put the game down.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That postcard's a great moment. Clearing 8B for the first time feels like telling the game that you're done with its ridiculous bullshit, and it just smiles and asks if you really thought that was the ridiculous bullshit.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I had nearly 5000 deaths all told clearing the A- and B-sides. When I saw the postcards, I laughed, fired up the first level, basically immediately died, said "yep, I'm done", and put the game down.

I was at 2100 deaths to reach the summit, 3600 to get everything on the A sides, and 8400 to finish the B sides. Now I'm a little over 12000 after finishing the first six C sides. That count is somewhat low because there were a couple points where I had to turn the game speed down, but whatever, I'll take it.

Going back and watching the later B side videos has reminded me that I've done all of this, but now that I'm not in the thick of it, I'm starting to wonder why a little bit. I'm impressed, though--there aren't very many other games that would've gotten me to go this far.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Since we're sharing death counts... I think I had about 4000-5000 after finishing the main game (in which I'm including the Core, because I did that before attempting any of the B-sides). At my current point in the game (~halfway through 6B), I'm a bit over 8200. That said, I currently have no desire to proceed any further, and seeing what comes after only further reinforces that. I'm done and I don't regret it.

Doing the Core before any of the B-sides was interesting, it definitely felt like a difficulty spike but it also felt like a different sort of difficulty to the B-sides, and I'm not entirely sure I agree with Iggy on placing it around equivalent to 4B (though that said I don't have the slightest clue where I'd place it either, so maybe if I think about it more I'll end up agreeing). The difficulty escalation through the B-sides is really something too, I have no idea how it keeps finding new places to go (and I dread to think what the C-sides are going to look like; for that matter, my brain is still a bit broken from trying to imagine the topology of a cassette with three sides).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Explopyro posted:

my brain is still a bit broken from trying to imagine the topology of a cassette with three sides

Just imagine a USB stick!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You take the front side then the backside. Afterwards you take the inside.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's Internet slang. The C-sides all take place at the beach.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Well, and these are the C-Sides! And also the end of the LP.

Well, almost...

As promised at the start of the game here's a full-game speedrun of the game. If you want to see a video without me talking over it you can find it here. Current World Record is 31:51.140 by TGH

If you care, here's a graph of the world record progression as of today.
Source: spreedrun.com

And of course, here's also the final stats of the file I used for the LP

The raw footage recorded for this LP was 12:15:44 hours long
This includes footage from the first draft that had to be scrapped due to technical problems as well es the speedrun bits.

All of the final videos are 7:50:34 hours combined

And finally: Thanks for watching and participating. It's been fun!

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 3, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It has been really fun and I am happy that someone showed this game off. It's pretty much my favorite platformer of the last decade.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 1, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LP! I'm glad we had an LPer capable of doing the game justice.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Thanks for the LP!

For anyone who loves masochism, Here is a "speedrun" of Celeste by TGH, the current world record holder, where he gets all A-Sides, B-Sides, and C-Sides, and every strawberry, including the golden strawberries, for all levels.

It took him 8 hours.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This was a fantastic LP, and I really appreciate you having done it (not least because I wouldn't have played this game in that case). Even if I have a few minor quibbles here and there with the story and have personally reached my limit in terms of gameplay progression, I still think it's a wonderful game and deserves all the exposure it can get.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Happy birthday my dude, this was a great LP.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, the C-sides. They are so perfectly done. You first go into 1C and it looks so daunting, but then you try it a few times, and come up with an idea for how to handle it, then you get to the next bit...

The game never quite lets go of the theme of self-improvement, and the C-sides really teach you to believe in yourself. This time you get full view of the path ahead, so you can take one step a time, make a plan, and with all your experience so far you can trust that you can do it. That's powerful.

Thank you for this LP, Iggy, and thank you so much for introducing me to this game. And thanks for putting up with my essay-length rambles in the thread! It's funny how we get attached to the struggle.

It's been a great ride.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 1, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MachuPikacchu posted:

For anyone who loves masochism, Here is a "speedrun" of Celeste by TGH, the current world record holder, where he gets all A-Sides, B-Sides, and C-Sides, and every strawberry, including the golden strawberries, for all levels.

It took him 8 hours.

Cripes. I cannot imagine maintaining the level of intensity and skill required to pull this off, especially since the hardest challenges are saved for last, when you're the most tired.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Great LP, thank you for the fun ride.

Now to get around to those B sides and catch up, I guess.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Cripes. I cannot imagine maintaining the level of intensity and skill required to pull this off, especially since the hardest challenges are saved for last, when you're the most tired.

Honestly, I'm not surprised when I saw the name, though. TGH is a ridiculous human being, if he even is a human being at all.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Wonderful game and a great job at LPing it. Its so easy to see why people claim that it's the best game of 2018.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Great game, great LP.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Good work Iggy! I got in rather late, so I was forever behind the curve on this thread, but now that it's over, I'm just going to add my compliments to the pile! You showed this in the best possible light, and sold me thoroughly on it. It also helps that it resonated well with me. Good work, love your style, keep it up!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thanks for this awesome LP! I have now gone out and purchased this game for myself.

Of the two hard games based around climbing a mountain that came out recently, this one is my favourite.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I just went through the thread to count. And if I didn't miss anything this LP sold the game to 5 people.
I'm happy I got people to play the game.

Thanks for all the kind words peepz.
Before I send this thread in for archival on lparchive.org, is there anything else you want me to add to the op? Such as interesting posts from the thread or other stuff such as interviews and the likes that aren't already in the op?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
There was a cool AMA by the creators in Reddit at some point. It might be worth linking if you can dig it up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

There was a cool AMA by the creators in Reddit at some point. It might be worth linking if you can dig it up.

One quick googling for celeste reddit ama later...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

One quick googling for celeste reddit ama later...

Would you believe me if I told you that I didn't want to risk landing in the wrong Reddit page? The stakes were just to high!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Many thanks for all of this. That was some drat impressive work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thanks for the excellent LP!

• Locked thread