Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
this thread finally guilted me into buying plat after ~11 years on this hellsite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Thank you Pick, great idea. I just bought plat, maybe now is the time for an archives upgrade :)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
we've really gotta get those patreon numbers up

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

scott zoloft posted:

i think lowtax is gonna die, man

I mean, we all die eventually

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I changed my mind. Let's keep lowtax alive until his whole body is made of discs

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I would give Lowtax a good $1000 if I had income right now. This site is the only one I know well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Which gets more money directly to SA/Lowtax, the SA donate link or the patreon? Assuming the former?

If I can donate to a dead gay medium like public radio I can donate to a dead gay forum.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
just buy avs

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
don't overthink it. just buy some avs.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Not even joking. If I was done with my DH program and had a job and all my finances taken care of, I'd not hesitate to give Mr. Tax a good thousand bucks.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Smythe posted:

if uve already bought everything, or are an administrator, like me, whic gives you everything, u can donate, here: https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php

I want in on everything. How do I become an Admin? Did you have to fight Uwe Boll?

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic
Thanks for the avatard mystery goon. I shall also bestow an avatar of my choosing on the next avatardless goon I see.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just donated $10 for every year I’ve been on this dumb site. That was the bare minimum I felt comfortable contributing. I could’ve given more. But I didn’t.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How much does SA cost per month to run? I don't know anything about hosting but I bet a lot of us would be more willing to contribute if we knew.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It's $3,400 a month. Says it if you're not logged in.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

VelociBacon posted:

How much does SA cost per month to run? I don't know anything about hosting but I bet a lot of us would be more willing to contribute if we knew.

5x more than necessary

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My friend gifted me this avatar a couple years back and it rocks, but I'm gonna but a new one when I get home.

Should be an option to buy a vanity probation.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

It's $3,400 a month. Says it if you're not logged in.
I have absolutely no idea how you rack up 3400 a month on sa.

This site is static content, serves zero av and really only serves avatars for images.

How

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Methanar posted:

I have absolutely no idea how you rack up 3400 a month on sa.

This site is static content, serves zero av and really only serves avatars for images.

How

My question as well. For a vBulletin forum how is the cost that high?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think he's mentioned before that since the forums are so ancient and modified they can't take advantage of more recent server optimizations without gutting the forums amd rewriting everything from the ground up, so the site uses way more servers than it needs to in order to function inefficiently.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Mr.Tophat posted:

You get more loving entertainment out of these forums than you do from watching netflix, admit it, now pony up some cash and make a broken boy's spine's dreams come true!!

I wouldn't say it's better than Netflix... I also get probated at least once a week; but that's probably my fault.

I'll buy something from Lowtax. Maybe a new, saltier AV.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I might finally buy an avatar after all these years....FOR LOWTAXIA

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

friendbot2000 posted:

You're a good man.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Should be an option to buy a vanity probation.

i think you should be able to give anyone you want a 6er for $5

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

FPzero posted:

I think he's mentioned before that since the forums are so ancient and modified they can't take advantage of more recent server optimizations without gutting the forums amd rewriting everything from the ground up, so the site uses way more servers than it needs to in order to function inefficiently.

It's literally serving static text content.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is there a chain of custody if Lowtax dies? Are the forums inherited by his kids or Fragmaster or something?

Donated because I friggin love these dead gay comedy forums and don't know how I'd waste time at work without them. Maybe I will buy some avatars for people I hate later today too.

edit: oh boy, I got a thing

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Hopefully it goes to his daughter. Keep the family business of gay comedy going

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Methanar posted:

It's literally serving static text content.

code:
Lowtax @lowtax
actual forum error logs courtesy of radium coding:
Jun 26 16:59:41 [WARN] you are gay
Jun 26 16:59:41 [ERROR] someone has stolen your trees

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i think you should be able to give anyone you want a 6er for $5

Same. Let's unleash chaos.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

friendbot2000 posted:

Buy an avatar, do it before I find something to give you.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm just going to wager a guess and say this is why someone ponied up :10bux: to make me look like a Roy Moore supporter?

Now I've gotta find another av to replace this poo poo. Thanks.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

FPzero posted:

Buy an avatar, do it before I find something to give you.

I actually have the perfect one, just cant upload it on a gov computer :(

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

friendbot2000 posted:

I actually have the perfect one, just cant upload it on a gov computer :(

And now you have one. But I didn't get to do it for you :negative:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I popped off the VPN and headed to starbucks. FOR LOWTAXIA

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Where's an avatar thread when you need one?

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dr. Snuggles posted:

I am beginning to suspect you are not in fact a doctor...

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Umm Pick what is your new avatar? I’m on mobile so I can’t quite make it out, but it looks unpleasant :(

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Done and done. I've had way too much fun here to not help Lowtax out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr. Snuggles posted:

I get so many fuckibg red texts I pay for myself!

• Locked thread