Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

*roar* "Bitcoin is really volatile today" *roar*

A guy I worked with a while back set his default beep to the Oooh-wah-ah-ah-ah bit from "Down With The Sickness".

The first 2 or 3 times were sort of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god the random Napalm Death was killing me.

:laffo:

https://youtu.be/ybGOT4d2Hs8

nerox
May 20, 2001

Harminoff posted:

I think that's more contractiual than anything as he was cast as a lead, but yeah hopefully he returns soon.

So Josh Brener gets paid and credit but just hangs out on the roof of the studio during filming. Seems familiar somehow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So far this season has had way less infuriating stuff than 4 did. I was thinking about dropping it but I’m gonna stick with it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s also really nice that they don’t have to find ways to shoehorn Erlich into the story anymore. Last season he really felt like a vestigial limb.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I do wish they had run with the less villainous Gavin from last season a while longer. It was a nice foil to Richards dickery but they did their snap back to the status quo too soon.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Look, these showrunners are terrified of breaking the status quo. They're letting Pied Piper have just the tiniest bit of progress and got rid of a major cast member, so I'm not gonna complain if they're gonna cling to crazy rear end in a top hat Gavin as a safety blanket.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
What this show needs is a Peter Thiel like villain.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I lost it at the medicinal MDMA bit

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Jared put so much venom in "rat gently caress" I absolutely lost it. He is my favorite part of the show.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This was a good episode. Was the “bear is sticky with honey” part based on an irl incident? It kinda felt like it was lampooning something but I don’t know what.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Colonel Whitey posted:

This was a good episode. Was the “bear is sticky with honey” part based on an irl incident? It kinda felt like it was lampooning something but I don’t know what.

It’s lampooning religion and finding meaning where there isn’t. They take Gavin’s words like God, misunderstand them, fight over what the words mean, and come up with these ridiculous ideas. It also kind of ripped on Palo Alto being a spawning pool of cults of personality, I think.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For some reason I'm reminded of the LaVayan Satanist ritual Gilfoyle had everyone attend (for a reason I forget), where they ate Chick-Fil-A chicken despite its Christian ownership.

"Hail Satan, it is done. Well, thanks for coming, everyone. Brother Jason was kind enough to furnish this week's food. It's Chick-fil-A. I know, they're on the Christian right, but darned if that chicken isn't good. I think the Dark Lord would understand."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Colonel Whitey posted:

One time Stalin was shown two designs for a flagship hotel and he just kind of waved his hand at them and everyone was so terrified that they tried to build both designs in one building, half one style, half the other, just sort of welded together in a weird Frankenstein monster situation. I think everybody still got sent to the gulag though.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Also felt a bit like George Costanza trying to figure out Downtown when he didn't know what his project was supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUICBMQBNU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was hoping we'd get more from the mole plot. I can imagine them using the mole to leak false information to Hooli. But Dinesh tormenting him by forcing him to be his best friend is hilarious.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 16, 2018

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Also felt a bit like George Costanza trying to figure out Downtown when he didn't know what his project was supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUICBMQBNU

There are movie shows!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
When do they reveal that Richard is gay?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I loved that everyone was onboard with forcing the guy to be Dinesh's friend.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Even Dinesh!

Does anyone know what game was being played on the monitors at the gaming company Richard visited? It looked pretty cool.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

One time Stalin was shown two designs for a flagship hotel and he just kind of waved his hand at them and everyone was so terrified that they tried to build both designs in one building, half one style, half the other, just sort of welded together in a weird Frankenstein monster situation. I think everybody still got sent to the gulag though.

Yeah this is the kind of thing I meant. I guess maybe it's not a direct reference to anything but they do enough making fun of dumb things in tech that really happened that I thought maybe it was a Jobs story or something.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This season's been pretty good so far. It's not as good as the first two seasons when it was really fresh and funny, but it's better than the last two seasons which were clearly running on fumes. At least now there's a clear purpose they're working towards, they're established as a company, and Erlich isn't weighing down the show by doing nothing.

clown shoes posted:

What this show needs is a Peter Thiel like villain.
I thought Peter Gregory was the Peter Thiel type.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 16, 2018

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

get that OUT of my face posted:

I thought Peter Gregory was the Peter Thiel type.
He died, which made him a better person than Thiel.

Good season so far, but the Christian stuff was just a painful miss.

Jimmy Oh Yang is killing it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah thinking about it, the idea of comparing discrimination against LGBT people to discrimination against Christians is pretty cringey, even if it was done for comedy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Done for comedy, and exaggerated but it is a thing that’s a real thing in the area.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah thinking about it, the idea of comparing discrimination against LGBT people to discrimination against Christians is pretty cringey, even if it was done for comedy

lol have you ever been to the bay area? its like opposite day bible belt

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

lol have you ever been to the bay area? its like opposite day bible belt

Yeah I’m from the bay. It’s still a bit gross of a comparison, even if there is some anti-Christian sentiment in tech. I’m not really harshly criticizing the show, it just leaves a bit of a bad taste.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People forget that Mike Judge is really conservative because he’s miraculously also funny

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's also problematic that they have a stereotypical Chinese character

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I kind of suspected the christian gag would be unpopular here. SA definitely skews atheist

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I kind of suspected the christian gag would be unpopular here. SA definitely skews atheist
The Onion did the joke before. But I didn't mind the joke again here. Also, I'm totally cool if this show mocked the insufferable atheists that are pervasive in the tech world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't get people saying it was bad. In this wacky TV show world, it totally fits.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I don’t have a problem with them making fun of atheists or Christian discrimination. It’s when they portray it as at all comparable to LGBT discrimination, which has a violent and horrible history, that I take pause.

Again I don’t think the way they did it was that egregious but it wasn’t very thoughtfully done and was kind of low effort.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I paused to translate the binary behind Gavin thinking I was going to be the first one to discover an easter egg but people already had already done it :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don’t have a problem with them making fun of atheists or Christian discrimination. It’s when they portray it as at all comparable to LGBT discrimination, which has a violent and horrible history, that I take pause.

Again I don’t think the way they did it was that egregious but it wasn’t very thoughtfully done and was kind of low effort.

If you start comparing people being discriminated against, you're always going to get "how dare you make this comparison when this other group has it even worse?" It was a joke in a TV show based on real prejudices, it's not a big deal.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

That's the joke x 1000. It's supposed to be slightly funny *and also* intentionally tone deaf. Cmon now, let's not pretend comedy isn't supposed to touch raw nerves.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Whitey posted:

Discrimination against Christians has a famously violent past.

(„Yes, but not by us!/Yes, but that was in the past!“ ok maybe, but Christianity literally has a long and famous history of violent suppression.)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The whole thing just felt a bit heavy-handed and dragged out for too long. It was funny when they did the same joke with smoking a few seasons ago, but having the whole episode plot arc revolve around not wanting to work with Christians just seemed like a stretch even by Silicon Valley standards.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What didn’t work for me was how Richard was supposedly so on the spectrum, he had absolutely no idea about any aspect of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"Did you just compare the treatment of billionaires in America today, to the plight of the jews in nazi Germany?"
"Absolutely. One could argue that billionaires are actually treated worse; and we didn't even do anything wrong!"

• Locked thread