Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Some PC people have difficulty separating jokes from serious beliefs and also seem to believe entertainment products are basically a completely 100% effective mind control device. It's a recipe for conflict with comedians. Most of the successful people in the industry are more socially liberal in reality though. Overly conservative comedy sucks rear end for similar reasons.
While I have seen this happen in very rare instances, farmore common is poo poo like Ricky Gervais saying he identifies as a gorilla and then smiling, pleased with himself, and saying "ARE YOU OFFENDED?!"

Edit: and as somebody said in this very thread, we always forget Judge is a conservative because he's funny. And that's just not something they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

While I have seen this happen in very rare instances, farmore common is poo poo like Ricky Gervais saying he identifies as a gorilla and then smiling, pleased with himself, and saying "ARE YOU OFFENDED?!"

Which only works because of the overreaction to it. That's the part about mind control, people think there are actual serious consequences of him doing that. There aren't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Which only works because of the overreaction to it. That's the part about mind control, people think there are actual serious consequences of him doing that. There aren't.

Nobody thinks there are serious consequences to anything Ricky Gervais does

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Jokes are based on actual attitudes, otherwise they wouldn’t work. It’s not mind control as you say, it’s simple reinforcement and validation of belief systems. Making jokes that reinforce racist, sexist, transphobic etc attitudes tells people their attitudes are acceptable and it’s okay to laugh at those jokes. This keeps marginalized people on the fringes of society because the message is that mainstream media is not made for them. There are consequences and it’s not cool to try to downplay it. Basic decency and inclusion is not a threat to anything, despite what some in comedy would have you believe.

I’m not even talking about Silicon Valley, just the general attitude towards jokes in media. People say good comedy should make you uncomfortable but really it should make the powerful and privileged uncomfortable, not the marginalized.

Anyway I’m looking forward to tonight’s episode! Hoping for more Bighead.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yes, thank you, Mr. Perfect Example.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Said somebody who is in no danger of being murdered for being trans by people who think that joke is super hilarious and reinforces an already-accepted bias against trans people.

Like, it is literally legal and acceptable in 49 states to argue that murdering me was justified because I'm "actually a dude in a dress," so just because you are free from the consequences of a lovely joke reinforcing a lovely aspect of society doesn't mean we all are.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I'm a member of a marginalized group comedians go after as well. No, that still doesn't make me think histrionic PC fainting couch reactions to trolls (RG) or good natured satire (SV) are any less completely idiotic and counterproductive.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Why is there a twitter conversation from 2012 in the Silicon Valley thread?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Who loving knows, but it seems like people are going out of their way to bait someone into making them butthurt.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Because you can't say you don't like a joke without fifty loving mouth-breathers explaining to you why the joke is okay.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Every time. Every single time.

Yell at the guy flipping out about how I need to change my mind about not liking certain jokes. Don't Both Sides this poo poo. I'm allowed to say I didn't like a thing and it annoys me to have to argue about it as much as it bothers you having to watch it interrupt a thread about a show we all clearly like and would rather be talking about in a positive way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
OMG those lips

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank gently caress an episode happened.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And what an episode!

AI plot line owned

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like the Jared lips joke was offensive to people who get plastic surgery. Some people have low self-esteem because of body image issues.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I really, really hope that they aren't turning Jared into a Richard clone with this new public insecurity schtick.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I hope Jared continues getting crazy plastic surgery

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Is it just me or was there some weird ADR going on this week?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It was nice to see Richard get a win for once. When he was going all Hercule Poirot in front of the octopipers (ugh), I kept expecting his theory to blow up in his face somehow. So it was a pleasant surprise to see that Eklow was in fact a creep, allowing the rest of the team to cut Richard a little slack for the lost data.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Should we expect a week of outrage from The Man Robot Love Association from that viscous caricature of a robot lover? :roboluv:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Should we expect a week of outrage from The Man Robot Love Association from that viscous caricature of a robot lover? :roboluv:

Nah, let's just go straight to the whole "do RealDolls have RealFeelings" argument. :colbert:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really, really hope that they aren't turning Jared into a Richard clone with this new public insecurity schtick.

I’m pretty sure that joke was making fun of Zach Woods himself. He did an interview on Colbert and talks about how he has never seen an episode of Silicon Valley because he feels insecure, in his own words, about being “confronted with full the weirdness of your own face.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtxeyCATxY

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m pretty sure that joke was making fun of Zach Woods himself. He did an interview on Colbert and talks about how he has never seen an episode of Silicon Valley because he feels insecure, in his own words, about being “confronted with full the weirdness of your own face.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtxeyCATxY

Well, fingers crossed. I did like how they spent the bare minimum of time on Richard being, well, *Richard* this episode.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 23, 2018

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

404notfound posted:

It was nice to see Richard get a win for once. When he was going all Hercule Poirot in front of the octopipers (ugh), I kept expecting his theory to blow up in his face somehow.

Yeah, it felt like him having the A.I. question itself was going to be the actual cause of it sucking up the entire server's resources, stuck in an infinitely self-referential loop or something.

I was surprised he got it right.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Superrodan posted:

Yeah, it felt like him having the A.I. question itself was going to be the actual cause of it sucking up the entire server's resources

It kind of was. When it examined its own "feelings" about its owner(?) its mind spun up like crazy and it called for help.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nah, let's just go straight to the whole "do RealDolls have RealFeelings" argument. :colbert:

Westworld already has its own thread.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

A great Jared line I missed the first time - after the Bloomberg piece, the media adviser is talking to him and Richard.
Adviser: "People loved it... including Adrian Grenier."
Jared: "From Devil Wears Prada??"

Reminded me of that bit from a few seasons ago where he identifies Ocean's Eleven as "that movie starring Julia Roberts and eleven men."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I loved that Dinesh watching his interview over and over improved his confidence while Jared doing it ruined his.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Liked the episode.

Help

Fiona

So with Hooli knowing that the mole scheme failed, is that the last we'll hear of it?

Edit: Hooli.com is updated with its massive dick pic.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 23, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like that one was set up so the big scene where Richard reveals what a creep the AI dude is was supposed to just kill, and it totally didn't. Just nothing all that funny in that episode.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think this is my favorite episode of the season yet. Just every joke was on point.

Especially Roko's Basilisk.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like that one was set up so the big scene where Richard reveals what a creep the AI dude is was supposed to just kill, and it totally didn't. Just nothing all that funny in that episode.
I didn't find that scene particularly funny either, but the episode was quite enjoyable.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I didn't find that scene particularly funny either, but the episode was quite enjoyable.

The gaming guy’s comment made me laugh.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

J33uk posted:

Is it just me or was there some weird ADR going on this week?

Whatever Belson was saying as he pensively walked out of his office was really poorly done

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was waiting for the robot to try and seduce Richard with Richard getting caught loving it

Good episode!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The show is sorely missing the satire that was Erlich Bachman. It's not necessarily missing TJ Miller, but it's missing someone making fun of how retarded VCs and entrepreneurs can be.

We need internet radio guy back.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I agree the show is feeling the absence of the Erlich character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

TJ Miller's increasingly bizarre/dangerous behavior makes the need to separate more apparent, but yeah something else should have filled those shoes at least. Bighead, Hanneman, whatever. Show needs a wildcard. This episode had some great moments but mostly it was on the rails filler.

• Locked thread