Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody see it yet? I haven't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I haven't either OP.

But I did watch "The Death of Stalin" recently with the missus. I told her it was a farce. Whoops

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Lol gently caress that's the movie im talking about

Mods please change the title of the thread

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

Lol gently caress that's the movie im talking about

Mods please change the title of the thread
the title sounds like a Bill O'Reilly book and idk whether i want it changed or not

anyway the movie sounds good

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
My Marxist academic friends said it was poo poo. Chapo said it was good (or I think they did I can't remember now). I haven't seen it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I dont give a crap about the dialectical authenticity or whatever, i care about the quality of the film. You know- the plot, the performances, the cinematography... It's not a freaking documentary

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
But i guess thAnks anyway for the 3rd-hand opinions from a bunch of unwashed (just taking a guess there) armchair wonks

Maybe somebody will find that info useful

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

it's actually called killing bono, op

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steve Buscemi as Kruschev alone is worth it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Chill Penguin posted:

But i guess thAnks anyway for the 3rd-hand opinions from a bunch of unwashed (just taking a guess there) armchair wonks

Maybe somebody will find that info useful

This is Blockbuster Video: The forum for Serious Opinions on movies.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Forum for guys who like movies

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

I dont give a crap about the dialectical authenticity or whatever, i care about the quality of the film. You know- the plot, the performances, the cinematography... It's not a freaking documentary
but you see everything is political and it's useless to try and escape that, and furthermore *shits pants*

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
I just saw this the other night. Pretty good movie in my opinion. Given the subject matter it was dark but Iannucci manages to get humor out of the situation, mostly by having all of the Stalin's flunkies going around not knowing what to do or who to trust. Like Midjack said Buscemi was great as Kruschev.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Buscemi? Okay now I need to see this. 😀

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

The_Other posted:

I just saw this the other night. Pretty good movie in my opinion. Given the subject matter it was dark but Iannucci manages to get humor out of the situation, mostly by having all of the Stalin's flunkies going around not knowing what to do or who to trust. Like Midjack said Buscemi was great as Kruschev.

is it a must-watch in the theatre, or could i wait for video? there's actually a lot of good stuff out right now. The new lynne ramsay/joaquin phoenix walking around witha hammer joint looks good. And I want to see Annihilation before it goes away

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Chill Penguin posted:

is it a must-watch in the theatre, or could i wait for video? there's actually a lot of good stuff out right now. The new lynne ramsay/joaquin phoenix walking around witha hammer joint looks good. And I want to see Annihilation before it goes away

It was worth the $9 i paid to see it. While there were a few big laughs most of the time I was just grinning at the clever humor and acting. A lot of the humor comes from the fact that the British and American actors keep their own accents in the movie, so you have Steve Buscemi as Nikita Khrushchev sounding like Mr. Pink. I also liked Jason Isaacs as Georgy Zhukov, who he plays as a flamboyant general.

That said I while I would recommend the movie, I wouldn't call it a must-watch and you could just wait for a video release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I liked it but idk if i'd rush out and see it immediately. Its good but like 99% of movies these days you aren't missing much if you wait for it to hit your preferred home viewing medium.

• Locked thread