Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just rewatched the episode the first time since seeing it live. For some reason I was a lot more moved by it this time. Maybe it was because of the adrenaline of not knowing what was going to happen the first time and now I was able to absorb it more. A few thoughts; the acting of course was brilliant. The fact that they could pull off several long silent sections or just music is really a testimony of just how drat good they all were. How much they can communicate with just their facial expressions.
- Elizabeth's exhale in the beginning when she agrees with Philip that they need to leave Henry
- The whole garage scene
- The fact that they never lied down when Stan told them probably saved their lives if not allowed their escape
- "you were my only friend in my..in my whole lovely life"
- The pain in Philip's voice "I'm leaving my son because I got caught"
- Telling Henry on the phone "be yourself" because Phil could not be himself for so long

I'm going to miss this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just watched it and wow I really liked it, still processing through a lot of the same questions though. Really bad tradecraft not having a rendezvous point for their daughter, though.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They could go the Graphic Novel route like Jericho.
Wow I didn’t realize that series got something beyond the TV finale.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Lol if that wasn't some contrived McDonald's product placement.

That aside, loving drat good compact, succinct ending. As much as parts of me wanted some grandiose montage tracking the characters watching the collapse of the Soviet Union, solumn, subdued closure, or lack thereof, is a better sendoff given the overall driving force of the show. To hell with scenes with Keri Russell popping veins in pent up rage; that look of shock as the train is leaving the platform blows them out of the water.

Side note:
Although it was trite as hell and probably lost on half the audience, I loved the ending shot from Vorobevy Gory. If you haven't been, it's the de facto standard scenic touristy overlook of the Moscow skyline. Phillip and Elizabeth are standing at the point below/south of the river in this shot. The angle shown distorts the difference in elevation and distance between it and the riverbank/Luzhniki Stadium, but whatever, it's a beautiful place:

I’m sure it’s pretty but I did have to laugh that every time they film in “Russia” just how far do they have to go to make the environment look like such a complete wasteland.

Mulva posted:

Liz dedicated her life to a dream that her nation will poo poo on in the most egregious way. Her nation's leadership will sell out everything in the search for DOLLAR DOLLAR BILLS YA'LL, it's culture will embrace the Western trappings she hated to the core of her being, and the world will make a mad sprint to abandon the Communist ideals she fully embraces. And she has years before that eventuality where the Soviet Union is still a thing, and she gets to watch what an abject failure it really was as a government. Like it can be cathartic or frightening to look at some of our current government's and decry their failure and incompetence, but the Soviets lost the thread on a whole other level. There's nothing unfixable in America or Britain or most other places you care to name. Liz is going to have a few years before they finally just write it off to see the government she sold her body and soul for just collapse, utterly, on even the most basic level.

I do not see her ever being truly happy in a world where that happens. Maybe resigned, but yeah. For all her good Communist hatred of religion, that's what her nation was to her. A distant ideal she gave herself over to that was never real to begin with. Liz could only be herself in America, because being in America allowed her the pretense that Russia was better. In Russia she'll see that not only isn't it better, it's not even different. As has been said she's a bit over 2 years from seeing the first McDonald's open in the Soviet Union, and the place was mobbed. It was such a big deal Yeltsin showed up. She's about to lose the grand fantasy of what the Soviet Union was, and I imagine it'll be devastating.
I agree with this 100%

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hed posted:

I’m sure it’s pretty but I did have to laugh that every time they film in “Russia” just how far do they have to go to make the environment look like such a complete wasteland.

a lot of the time they just use a blue filter and don't do much else. like there are a ton of "Russian" scenes that are very obviously Brooklyn but you aren't likely to notice on the first watch unless you are paying attention to the buildings in the background instead of the characters and then you'll notice they are walking past Catholic churches and brownstones. the Moscow airport was Pratt

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel the Stan and Henry spinoff should be called ‘Beeman and Son*’. Maybe they could become PIs in a multicam sitcom. Featuring Mail Robot, of course.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Crime procedural where Paige uses her spy training to insinuate herself (in disguise) into weekly white collar crime cases Stan can't solve and get things done off the book. There's just something familiar about this helpful roguish snoop, but Stan just can't place it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some of the notable deaths in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrnq31SPYA

It is nowhere near the full list, but man, this show was brutal.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I feel the Stan and Henry spinoff should be called ‘Beeman and Son*’. Maybe they could become PIs in a multicam sitcom. Featuring Mail Robot, of course.

The mail robot is the chief and hands out the casefiles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mail Robot becomes a real boy, is appointed head of the FBI, final scene is it looking at a framed portrait of Gaad hanging in its office.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I wonder if that stuff about Henry breaking into the neighbors house and being "really into computers" was a potential recruitment plot idea they were going to do something with and then abandoned, or just some sort of red herring

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Earwicker posted:

I wonder if that stuff about Henry breaking into the neighbors house and being "really into computers" was a potential recruitment plot idea they were going to do something with and then abandoned, or just some sort of red herring
In retrospect I think it was a "wow, Liz and Phil are completely oblivious as to the locations or well-being of their children" which leads to Henry getting out.

Or it was just a "oh man we need a Henry plot..." kind of a day. Who knows?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Man, I never watched the show with as deep an understanding of the issues as you guys. I was just upset that the Jennings were never caught and tried. I think that was the payoff I wanted from the beginning of the show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I mean it definitely sucks that they got away with murdering all those innocent people.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Earwicker posted:

I feel like they realized Henry's actor was not very good so they sent him off to boarding school where, at most, he'd have to stand and talk on a phone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Henry's actor actually ended up fine, at least for a computer geek type, so I was kinda bummed they never did anything with him being good with computers.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I feel like Henry was just there so that they could make the choice to leave him at the end. Like the writers knew generally how they wanted the series to end, and in order to do it the way they wanted, they needed to have two kids. But that's about it. It was almost comical how ignored that poor kid was in the show, but it didn't really make the show less enjoyable. I'm just glad Paige didn't stay as annoying as she was during the Pastor Tim years.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got halfway through season 5 and I was like where the gently caress is Henry? It was weird and I actually thought it would be a serious plot point.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I had assumed the kid was just busy doing some other show, like when they had to write Claudia out for a couple seasons because Margo Martindale was doing The Millers, but I didn't care about him enough to bother looking up what it was

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean all he really needed to do in the entire series was sell the shot of him during the montage of Stan breaking the news and I thought he nailed it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The kid grew like a weed over the course of the series and broke his foot (leg?) one year, which is why he spent so much time sitting. Plus, by the fifth season the writing team leaned into the "Where's Henry" joke.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean all he really needed to do in the entire series was sell the shot of him during the montage of Stan breaking the news and I thought he nailed it.

My only complaint about the finale is that we didn't get any actual dialogue for this. I really really wanted to watch Stan tell Henry "so it turns out your parents were soviet spies, they've fled the country, and you're never going to see them again." It would be such a left-field thing for Henry to hear he'd probably think it was a joke and coming from Stan who's a bit socially awkward and probably not very good with delivering emotional news like that it would have been hilarious and awesome

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

similarly, one of the few things that kind of disappoints me is that Stan never found out that it was Philip who seduced and married Martha. I understand why, but still his reaction would have been hilarious

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is a cop out, and every showrunner pulls it. "Oh, we want to leave it to the viewer to decide that." Dude, this is your story. I already have an imagination. But you're the ones who actually made the show, you tell me where the characters are going. I really wish that people for once would sit down, after the show airs, and pull back the curtain and be like "actually, we had this 7 page outline of background for Renee, and here's the outline of where we saw Paige going, which explains why she got off the train, and here's how Henry really took the news..." etc. I just think "we'll leave that up to you to decide" is dangerously close to "we couldn't figure it out either, so we'll deflect from it."

That part isn't really "their story" because it hasn't been written.

They probably think, with some justification, that saying "we imagine this can happen in the future" is essentially meaningless. Until it's written, it isn't "real".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Earwicker posted:

similarly, one of the few things that kind of disappoints me is that Stan never found out that it was Philip who seduced and married Martha. I understand why, but still his reaction would have been hilarious

There could have been an epilogue where Martha gets out of Russia-cum-Soviet Union because everyone is too busy to worry about her.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

howe_sam posted:

The kid grew like a weed over the course of the series and broke his foot (leg?) one year, which is why he spent so much time sitting. Plus, by the fifth season the writing team leaned into the "Where's Henry" joke.

You could tell me that the only reason Henry was in the show was to set up the joke last season where Phillip and Elizabeth are stunned silent by the news that he is smart, and I would consider that worth it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I assume that they decided, right off the bat, that they wanted the standard 'nuclear' family; husband, wife, two kids. So they filled those rolls. Then, as they went through the act of actually creating each seasons worth of content, they couldn't figure out anything to do with him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheCenturion posted:

I assume that they decided, right off the bat, that they wanted the standard 'nuclear' family; husband, wife, two kids. So they filled those rolls. Then, as they went through the act of actually creating each seasons worth of content, they couldn't figure out anything to do with him.

Plus him hitting puberty and growing like 2 feet between seasons didn't help.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

esperterra posted:

Plus him hitting puberty and growing like 2 feet between seasons didn't help.

I can't imagine that any showrunner is surprised when their young actors or actresses go through puberty.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Of course not, but it hit him hard and fast for how young his character was supposed to be still. One season he was a little kid and the next he's towering over everyone lmao

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

esperterra posted:

Of course not, but it hit him hard and fast for how young his character was supposed to be still. One season he was a little kid and the next he's towering over everyone lmao

that happened to me between 7th and 8th grade

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fair. I could be misrembering timeline from earlier seasons, but I don't think much time was meant to have passed between seasons when it happened.

It's not a big deal ofc and happens with child actors all the time, but I imagine it made it a little more difficult to decide what to do with Henry. I feel like he spent that whole season sitting in front of a computer to try and mitigate it lmao

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Think the two big time jumps were when the Jennings got several months' vacation after the plague scare, then the jump of ~3 years in the final season opener.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

that happened to me between 7th and 8th grade

Yeah he was old enough to have a secret bikini babe stash so he was also old enough to realistically grow like a weed and drop his voice an octave.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

skooma512 posted:

There could have been an epilogue where Martha gets out of Russia-cum-Soviet Union because everyone is too busy to worry about her.

Just show her sipping mimosas on the beach in Venezuela

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shot frame for frame the same as the end of Office Space. Hell, even use the same island (it’s just off Key West, it’s a private island but you can go there for lunch and dinner. It’s nice!)

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Are y'all certain they didn't film in Russia? They certainly did for season 5.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Season 5 was the first time they shot in Russia, and they used the contacts they made to film B-roll there in season 6.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I’m trying to remember what even happened in S5 and I just can’t beyond training Paige. Just a tremendous waste of showtime and plot with Philip’s son too.

On a side note give whoever cast Paige a medal, she knocked it out of the park the past couple seasons. Reminds me a lot of Kiernan Shipka who grew into her Mad Men role (though the son on that show got recast 3? separate times which just goes to show casting child/teen actors is a hit or miss game).

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 17, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

I’m trying to remember what even happened in S5 and I just can’t beyond training Paige. Just a tremendous waste of showtime and plot with Philip’s son too.

Midges. Digging a hole and killing the South African guy. Martha adjusting to Russian life. Grocery store investigations. Philip quitting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Also Tuan goading a kid into attempting suicide.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

howe_sam posted:

Also Tuan goading a kid into attempting suicide.

Kinda bummed we never got a Tuan/Paige meeting.

"OK, so we have to infiltrate this prom..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Keri Russel has been cast in episode 9 of starwars, I doubt she'll be folding rebels into suitcases though.

• Locked thread