Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That promo sure was something else.

Only two episodes left, goons. Gird your loins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Another ongoing thoughts post watching the episode on a delay:

-Paige's naivete, albeit understandable, is irritatingly adorable. She feels like a new partner trying to learn as quickly as possible about something their SO is into. "Did you ever meet the guy who's been running The Cause for two years now even though neither of you have been back to :ussr: in years?" :3:

-The cancer patient story feels like it could have the most hosed up ending on FX since Shane poisoned Mara and Jackson. Then again, we are watching the show with Kimmie. (e- Ayupppppp, but...I'm...glad? Thanks Liz?)

howe_sam posted:

:suspense:

I have to say though Elizabeth, that was all on you, no matter how hard you try to redirect onto Philip.

Elizabeth has two tracks in her mind:
1) "Anything for :ussr:" (has any thread on SA used that emote more often than these have?)
2) It's all your fault.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Take one of the paintings Liz. Let it haunt you for all two of the hours you have left on this earth

EDIT: And then try to fit it into your station wagon, I'm not sure what the metaphor on that one is but I'm sure it's good.

She picked the one which looks the most like the woman living in agonizing pain she just killed looking like she's in agonizing pain.

Also, the American flag on the left rear window of the wagon was a great touch.

e- After all these years, Liz seems to realize she's just an expendable pawn in a much larger game and it didn't matter what happened as long as Gorbachev was removed. Are we going to get the fury of Liz being used against the machine that created it? I like how Liz was seemingly disarmed by Philip's explanation that "I was doing what was best for our country. It's what you would've done."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 17, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Holy poo poo, that promo.

I am going to miss this show.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm gonna miss it, too.

I'm not asking for much, only that next week's show be an hour, and the finale stretch a reasonable amount of time - say, six, seven hours or so.

e: And I think, after this episode, that Renee was a red herring all along.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like that Stan's eureka moment was the realization that Keri Russell has incredible hair

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like that Stan's eureka moment was the realization that Keri Russell has incredible hair

If you don't look good, we don't look good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

dwarf74 posted:

e: And I think, after this episode, that Renee was a red herring all along.

Then you haven't been paying attention, this is 4 dimensional chess.

Renee finally lands an interview at the FBI. Same scene, she suggests they go eat Thai food. Who else was FBI connected and appreciates Thai cuisine/culture? Frank Gaad. Five episodes after his accidental death, Renee meets Stan at the gym.

Renee has a connection to Gaad, and is here to tie up his loose ends. Gaad's life started falling apart when he abused Mail Robot. She's here to seek vengeance.

Actually, it would be SUPER GREAT if she lists Phillip and Elizabeth as references for her FBI background check and the scrutiny there is what ends up getting them made

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

canyoneer posted:

Then you haven't been paying attention, this is 4 dimensional chess.

Renee finally lands an interview at the FBI. Same scene, she suggests they go eat Thai food. Who else was FBI connected and appreciates Thai cuisine/culture? Frank Gaad. Five episodes after his accidental death, Renee meets Stan at the gym.

Renee has a connection to Gaad, and is here to tie up his loose ends. Gaad's life started falling apart when he abused Mail Robot. She's here to seek vengeance.

Actually, it would be SUPER GREAT if she lists Phillip and Elizabeth as references for her FBI background check and the scrutiny there is what ends up getting them made
MIND. BLOWN.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

"Don't worry guy, I got this. Done it a hundred times! The hard part is hands and head in a duffel bag or whole body intact in a suitcase, this one's a piece of cake by comparison"

Those two scenes were more disturbing on a 'holy poo poo that's gruesome' level but watching Liz suffocate a dying woman with her paintbrush was really tough for me. I know she was already in pain and needed to die but the flailing around and wiping the paint off her face after was p. hosed up.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Suffocation's a gnarly way to go, too.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Those two scenes were more disturbing on a 'holy poo poo that's gruesome' level but watching Liz suffocate a dying woman with her paintbrush was really tough for me. I know she was already in pain and needed to die but the flailing around and wiping the paint off her face after was p. hosed up.

That wasn't paint

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The brush was gagging her so that she would drown in her stomach contents and top off that OD.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wouldn't she be wearing one of her wigs though? I have to say I don't remember at all the situation Stan was asking about.

Anyway, this episode, goddamn. I didn't watch the preview but clearly poo poo is about to hit the fan, everything is in place now. :suspense:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 17, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

plz dont pull out posted:

That wasn't paint

well whatever it was, I was watching on a small TV and didn't pick up the fine details.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Wouldn't she be wearing one of her wigs though? I have to say I don't remember at all the situation Stan was asking about.

Anyway, this episode, goddamn. I didn't watch the preview but clearly poo poo is about to hit the fan, everything is in place now. :suspense:

She wasn't in disguise with Gregory from what I recall. He was the black communist sympathizer from season 1 who committed suicide by cop.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Curtis was one of the members of Gregory's crew back in the first season. In last week's episode, Stan mentioned that he was going to have another look into the death of the wife of an illegal - this was the wife of the fellow KGB agent who was killed during a mission with Philip and Elizabeth. This was in reference to the events that took place in the episode Gregory.

I don't remember Elizabeth wearing wigs around Gregory, unless they were on a mission.

One of the set designers had a giggle:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

canyoneer posted:

They could and would decline. It happens all the time and is no big deal, but Stan is already suspicious.

e: Actually, I think you have a point that they do some looking before contacting the reference.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 18, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The attention to detail is astonishing on this show. A few seasons back, they correctly referenced two branch streets in my general vicinity (both of which are relatively close to Hanssen's dead drop location) as well as have dug up obscure DC area television ads like Belmont TV for random moments.

And in this episode, they recreate a period-correct Roy Rogers instead of just make the guy work at 'Tony's Pizza" or something. I know they still exist in small numbers, but drat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The attention to detail is astonishing on this show. A few seasons back, they correctly referenced two branch streets in my general vicinity (both of which are relatively close to Hanssen's dead drop location) as well as have dug up obscure DC area television ads like Belmont TV for random moments.

And in this episode, they recreate a period-correct Roy Rogers instead of just make the guy work at 'Tony's Pizza" or something. I know they still exist in small numbers, but drat.

I feel like two episodes they tried to namedrop as many Chicago streets as possible

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I wish this show would stop stalin and tie up these loose ends.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

I wish this show would stop stalin and tie up these loose ends.

they ain’t russian that’s for sure

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m going to laugh when the Phillip and Elizabeth decide to get out forever and Stan closes the trap anyways

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I forgot the Roy Rodgers, we had one in our neighborhood around that same time. What a flashback.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hed posted:

I’m going to laugh when the Phillip and Elizabeth decide to get out forever and Stan closes the trap anyways

"With Paige starting her job at the State Department, Henry becoming an early investor in Blockbuster Video, Stavos winning the lottery and having us do all his travel arrangements for huge commissions, and us fixing our marriage and not doing jobs for the Center anymore, I think everything's gonna be allllll right..."

*Every window explodes as FBI team members jump in, door falls down, smoke grenades go off*

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Philip and Elizabeth will flat-out tell Stan that they are spies in an effort to stop the Center from sabotaging the START talks. It will save the treaty but cost them their freedom. Paige and Henry become *super* hosed up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

She wasn't in disguise with Gregory from what I recall. He was the black communist sympathizer from season 1 who committed suicide by cop.

No, as I remember she just jumped right in with the Civil Rights activists as herself and then got it on with Gregory with no disguise. She took it hard when he was killed, too.

That would be a hell of a way for them to callback to the first season to bring Liz down.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Gregory "took one for the team" so that Elizabeth could get away right? It's been a minute since I watches season one, but wasn't the heat at the door and he told her to get out and while he stayed to get his ticket punched?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hatelull posted:

Gregory "took one for the team" so that Elizabeth could get away right? It's been a minute since I watches season one, but wasn't the heat at the door and he told her to get out and while he stayed to get his ticket punched?

They were about to take him to Russia and he said he would rather get into a shootout with the police. So Philip and Elizabeth left. Then Gregory walks around until a cop spots him, then he sets up behind a car to shoot at the police.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

I feel like two episodes they tried to namedrop as many Chicago streets as possible

PRETTY sure that they actually shot the Ann Arbor scenes with Kimmy at school actually in the city, in Kerrytown if I'm not mistaken.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

It did feel as if one of the writers or something was very excited to be shooting in Chicago but as a chicagoon I appreciated it.

This is one of those rare shows I’ve watched live-ish since the beginning and the sense of sadness (and dread, but that’s more specific to this show) is creeping in.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Were they actually shooting in Chicago? I know they had a bunch of Chicago establishing shots, but the bulk of the scenes looked like “NY dressed up as Chicago” just like the rest of the show often looks like “NY (poorly) dressed up to look like DC”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I thought everything on this show was New York

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stan's "eureka moment" was "She smoked like a chimney" which is kinda funny because at that time I'm pretty sure everyone, especially in DC, smoked like a chimney

Loved the 80s fanservice in this one. motherfuckin' ROY ROGERS holy poo poo, and Philip at the Dollar Video

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Is there a reason that Stan did not even consider that the headless/handless corpse might have been the woman he is looking at pics of?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I binged through the first few seasons sometime last year or so and just stopped watching it the first episodes of S5. I finally got around to catching back up since there’s only two more episodes left.

I really hope Kimmy doesn’t show up ever again cause that part was always just so full of cringe. What was the deal with her and Philip anyway? Like Philip’s costume obviously didn’t look like a high school student so he wasn’t trying to pretend to be one right?

Also I’m not really that read up on my USSR history but are we led to believe that Elizabeth is working for people trying to stage a coup/overthrow Gorbachev and Phillip and Oleg are trying to prevent that? Nevermind, I forgot I didn’t watch the last 15 or so minutes.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 20, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boris Galerkin posted:

I binged through the first few seasons sometime last year or so and just stopped watching it the first episodes of S5. I finally got around to catching back up since there’s only two more episodes left.

I really hope Kimmy doesn’t show up ever again cause that part was always just so full of cringe. What was the deal with her and Philip anyway? Like Philip’s costume obviously didn’t look like a high school student so he wasn’t trying to pretend to be one right?

Also I’m not really that read up on my USSR history but are we led to believe that Elizabeth is working for people trying to stage a coup/overthrow Gorbachev and Phillip and Oleg are trying to prevent that?

Nah he was a cool older dude who had weed!!

And I doubt we'll see Kimmy again.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Were they actually shooting in Chicago? I know they had a bunch of Chicago establishing shots, but the bulk of the scenes looked like “NY dressed up as Chicago” just like the rest of the show often looks like “NY (poorly) dressed up to look like DC”

They film in Brooklyn, iirc.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He was being the local friendly weed dealer who had good taste in music.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only way I could see Kimmie being brought back is in a "she casually mentioned the warning she was given to her father and he went apeshit" way.

Philip's pretty much hit pure "gently caress it" at this point, and I'm sure Stavos' confession that he knew on some level that the business was a front ~for something~ from the beginning probably had to bruise Phil's ego more than a little, since it implies they aren't as good at covering their tracks as they think, and if Stavos can figure it out, who else suspects/knows something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only way I could see Kimmie being brought back is in a "she casually mentioned the warning she was given to her father and he went apeshit" way.

Philip's pretty much hit pure "gently caress it" at this point, and I'm sure Stavos' confession that he knew on some level that the business was a front ~for something~ from the beginning probably had to bruise Phil's ego more than a little, since it implies they aren't as good at covering their tracks as they think, and if Stavos can figure it out, who else suspects/knows something?

Yeah I thought that scene was a nice big “oh poo poo” moment.

• Locked thread