Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

beanieson posted:

So how many years did we skip ahead? & is Henry in that boarding school or what?

There was a banner at the hockey game that said "St. Edward's."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

clown shoes posted:

There was a banner at the hockey game that said "St. Edward's."

Makes sense. I was wondering how Elizabeth was able to take on the full burden of their ops while Philip just hosed off to live the American Dream tm, but With Henry away I guess it’s a lot easier for her to come and go.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I guess that would make Henry a junior in high school and old enough to be a Russian spy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

clown shoes posted:

I guess that would make Henry a junior in high school and old enough to be a Russian spy.

I wonder if there is enough time and contact for Stan to turn Henry into an asset

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24aZauM6hRI&t=20s

A preview of Paige's next mission to put bugs in Mail Robot wearing a truly exceptional wig.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Do you think that Phillip knows that Elizabeth is running Paige? Its plausible if she's off at college and he's always at work birthing line dancing. I hope the answer is no for the hilarious drama bomb that would be if/when he finds out.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 30, 2018

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

Well that took a loving turn :stare:

Don't gently caress with Mama Elizabeth.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chris Knight posted:

Don't gently caress with Mama Elizabeth.

Elizabeth has no ground to stand on, if she actually placed Paige’s well being above her own selfishness she wouldnt be grooming her to take part in the family business. This last episode spent half its run time time screaming about how the job has destroyed Elizabeth and that she’s barely holding on, while at the same time doe-eyed Paige is all set to follow her on the same soul destroying path. What’s Elizabeth going to do when the job is gonna ask Paige to seduce some gross freak who gets off on beating the poo poo out of her because Elizabeth should know that’s coming. Remember that disturbing montage of Phil undergoing the sex training in a flashback back in season 3ish?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 1, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
God drat I've missed this show.

And while it's certainly possible Paige could be called upon to do/stomach something unspeakable, the whole point of second generation naturalized agents is so they don't *have* to do as much to get high-value intel. If Elizabeth comes across a guy who gets his jollies beating the poo poo out of women, she has to take it if it means she's still getting intel vital to her mission. Directorate S ultimately wants Paige Jennings, not her covers.

I'd say one thing that I'd be surprised if it isn't touched upon is whether Elizabeth will begin to resent Paige "having it easier" and being more intrinsically valuable to "the cause" than she ever was. It's got to annoy the poo poo out of her that Paige gets to :downs: her way through learning to be an operative, making mistakes that would've gotten her shot during *her* training.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 1, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd say one thing that I'd be surprised if it isn't touched upon is whether Elizabeth will begin to resent Paige "having it easier" and being more intrinsically valuable to "the cause" than she ever was. It's got to annoy the poo poo out of her that Paige gets to her way through learning to be an operative, making mistakes that would've gotten her shot during *her* training.

on the other hand it's a more chaotic time to be training and by the time she's a competent operative "the cause" will no longer exist as such.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I always thought Stan would find out Philip and Elizabeth are agents via some kind of FBI investigation. I just realized that the way this season is trending, the reveal might just be Philip telling him flat out, which would be amazing.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I always assumed Stan would find out, like Hank in BB, but with all the risks this show takes, it occurred to me last season that this is a show that would totally go defy expectations and have him never find out (though I still think he will).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm thinking (and honestly hoping) he might not really find out until poo poo goes horribly wrong and either Phillip or Elizabeth are dead.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

clown shoes posted:

I always assumed Stan would find out, like Hank in BB, but with all the risks this show takes, it occurred to me last season that this is a show that would totally go defy expectations and have him never find out (though I still think he will).

I love Stan and I don't want his years of friendship with the Jennings family to be sullied. But Phil just telling him would be okay if it had to happen.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mameluke posted:

I love Stan and I don't want his years of friendship with the Jennings family to be sullied. But Phil just telling him would be okay if it had to happen.
Oh wow, I never considered this as a nuclear option ... but that's a heck of a nuclear option, I have to say. "I am turning myself in so you can arrest my wife and our kids can live happily in America from here on out."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow, I never considered this as a nuclear option ... but that's a heck of a nuclear option, I have to say. "I am turning myself in so you can arrest my wife and our kids can live happily in America from here on out."

Paige would also get arrested and I don't think Phil would be ok with that

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Earwicker posted:

Paige would also get arrested and I don't think Phil would be ok with that

Philip and Henry drive off into the sunset in a white Camaro with their Ray Bans.

Earwicker posted:

on the other hand it's a more chaotic time to be training and by the time she's a competent operative "the cause" will no longer exist as such.

Yeah, the mentoring/training in this show has ended poorly for everyone. The kid who killed his parents had a pretty bad experience. Tuan had some missteps and isn't going to make it (in Elizabeth's professional opinion). And poor Hans was unceremoniously executed and dumped.
There's not much margin for error in this spy game and Paige's parents can't swoop in to save her every time

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It could be demonstrated that Paige felt coerced. She'd still get jail time for espionage, but she'd be out before she was 30.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Phil can make his information contingent on Paige receiving immunity

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I'm thinking (and honestly hoping) he might not really find out until poo poo goes horribly wrong and either Phillip or Elizabeth are dead.

I wouldn't put it past this show to have the final shot be Stan Beeman standing at a pauper's grave. His driver or whatever comes up and says "Friend of yours?"
"Once. He was. A good American."
"Time to go, Mr. President."

smash cut to black

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
All I'm going to say is, I had really REALLY high expectations going into this season premiere, and they blew them away. I'm so utterly hype for the rest of the season.

Also, I can never EVER get over how much of my childhood they keep evoking. They nail the 80s aesthetics so good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I really feel like Stan's girlfriend is going to become a problem for the Jennings. I don't want to get too committed to that idea though because they might be trying to trick me!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheCenturion posted:

Also, I can never EVER get over how much of my childhood they keep evoking. They nail the 80s aesthetics so good.

I just love how understated it is. They don't go for the flashy 'look it's the 80's!' aesthetic and I've always loved the show for that. Just looks like normal rear end people and homes/etc looked back then.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

esperterra posted:

I just love how understated it is. They don't go for the flashy 'look it's the 80's!' aesthetic and I've always loved the show for that. Just looks like normal rear end people and homes/etc looked back then.

Yup yup. They're not putting everything in neon, chrome, and LED fonts, but it's the little things; the hair, the giant glasses, the hints of butterfly lapels and earth tones left over from the 70's. The Tupperware containers E had with her just slammed me back to my childhood; I still have one or two pieces kicking around. Paige's crazy high-waisted 80s Jordache style jeans. The cars. The font on the calendar at the travel agency. So good.

They do such a great job of making it look like the 80s, not like HOLLYWOOD WANTS THIS TO LOOK LIKE THE 80S! HA HA LOOK HOW BIG THESE SHOULDER PADS ARE!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

canyoneer posted:

I really feel like Stan's girlfriend is going to become a problem for the Jennings. I don't want to get too committed to that idea though because they might be trying to trick me!

Double posting but you mentioning her made me remember the moment where Elizabeth is listening to the girls talking to eachother about how hard it is to talk to Stan and Dennis about their jobs b/c they never really tell them anything, and all I could think was how Phillip is basically also one of those FBI wives.

god I love this show

e: ^^ and they don't overdo the references like something like Stranger Things did, which nailed the more laid back and normal aesthetic of the 80s instead of the flashy poo poo, but was always kind of winking and nodding at something

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

canyoneer posted:

This is why I hate "previously on". The season 5 recap made a big deal about showing Stan's girlfriend so she's definitely a spy or something. OR THEY WANT US TO THINK THAT :tinfoil:

TheCenturion posted:

Yup yup. They're not putting everything in neon, chrome, and LED fonts, but it's the little things; the hair, the giant glasses, the hints of butterfly lapels and earth tones left over from the 70's. The Tupperware containers E had with her just slammed me back to my childhood; I still have one or two pieces kicking around. Paige's crazy high-waisted 80s Jordache style jeans. The cars. The font on the calendar at the travel agency. So good.

They do such a great job of making it look like the 80s, not like HOLLYWOOD WANTS THIS TO LOOK LIKE THE 80S! HA HA LOOK HOW BIG THESE SHOULDER PADS ARE!

Yeah it's really impressive. For better or worse, my memory is painfully good so I remember pretty much the entire decade of the 80s and this show nails it hard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

esperterra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlfK51tN-xo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

All I know is that *someone* is dying from that suicide pill. It's *going* to get used - just maybe not on the person it was intended for.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maybe, but the show has already broken the "Chekov's gun" rule on many occasions. they love red herrings and dead ends. like is that whole thing with Henry being good at computers and breaking into the neighbors' house ever going to come back into play? probably not

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All I know is that *someone* is dying from that suicide pill. It's *going* to get used - just maybe not on the person it was intended for.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Elizabeth tossed it down the sink right there tbh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Ok, Elizabeth, we've released the nerve agent in the US. Take your antidote pill now."
"What antidote pill?"
"That pill I gave you when we were talking about that deadhand thing."
"What? I thought that was cyanide, I threw that away!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I think it might already be gone. Possibly flushed at the end of the episode.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Stan's girlfriend is totally CIA.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

the only interest the CIA has in Stan is getting him to give them access to Oleg, who is indeed conveniently back in the US. but it seems a weird longshot move for them, to have an agent spend that much time building a relationship with Stan just on the off chance he might talk to Oleg again - Stan doesn't even know he came back

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

Honestly, the curve ball would be if she *was* an agent, just not US or Soviet. Maybe British or Scandinavian or something.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly, the curve ball would be if she *was* an agent, just not US or Soviet. Maybe British or Scandinavian or something.

Smiley: sir there are rumors in the intelligence community that the American FBI has an agent who's lived across the street from two KGB operatives for six years and he still has no idea even though they've murdered his partner, bugged his office, and one of them punched his boss in the face. at one point he was part of an operation that would have captured them but this was compromised because of his relationship with a Soviet embassy worker

Control: he sounds like Circus material, send someone to recruit him

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 3, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
New hot prediction - Stan dies before the end of the season, right after finding out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sticking with the telegraphed as hell Stan/Oleg vs. The Jennings ending

talking of which, i was really happy to see Oleg found a cool hip and smart lady, too bad she's never going to see him again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My prediction: the end of this show is gonna make the Red Wedding look like the Red Engagement Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My prediction: the mail robot is the only main character left alive.

• Locked thread