Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Season 6 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIn_MH8_2ig

3 years later... Season 6, 1987.
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Wikipedia | IMDB | Past TVIV Threads: S2, S3, S4, S5

Synopsis posted:

The Americans is a period drama set during the Cold War shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President and is about the complex marriage of two deep cover KGB spies posing as an American married couple living in the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington D.C.. The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell), who have two children – Paige (Holly Taylor) and Henry (Keidrich Sellati), who know nothing about their parents’ true identity – grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate and dangerous relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control while avoiding being caught by FBI counterintelligence.

Creators
The series was created by novelist Joe Weisberg (a former CIA officer) working under the tutelage of Graham Yost (Justified, The Pacific).

quote:

"The most interesting thing I observed during my time at the CIA was the family life of agents who served abroad with kids and spouses. The reality is that mostly they're just people going about their lives. The job is one element, and trying to depict the issues they face just seemed like something that, if we could bring it to television in a realistic way, would be new."

—Joe Weisberg, creator and showrunner of The Americans
Characters
Detailed Character Bios: http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/the-americans/cast-crew

The FBI
The Counterintelligence Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation is fighting against foreign agents on U.S. soil - including the elite KGB Directorate S illegals: Russian spies posing as Americans.
[Image coming soon]
Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), Agent Dennis Aderholt (Brandon J. Dirden), Martha Hanson (Alison Wright)
Supporting: Deputy Attorney General (Cotter Smith), Agent Wolfe (Peter Jacobson), Glenn Haskard (Scott Cohen) a member of the State Department, FBI Mail Robot (Mail Robot)

The KGB
The Rezidentura is the core of Soviet espionage operations in the US. It is based out of the Soviet Embassy and receives orders from The Center, the central headquarters of the KGB in Moscow, especially those departments concerned with foreign espionage and counterintelligence. The Rezidentura then contacts Directorate S agents 'illegals' via handlers, coded messages, or dead drops.
[Image coming soon]
Oleg Igorevich Burov an agent working at KGB Headquarters (Costa Ronin), Interim Rezidentura Chief Tatiana Evgenyevna (Vera Cherny)
Supporting: Claudia (Margo Martindale) Handler for the Jennings, Oleg's father and Minister of Railways Igor Burov (Boris Krutonog)

The Jennings
Philip and Elizabeth are KGB Directorate S deep cover agents, 'Illegals', posing as Americans, working tirelessly to advance their nation's agenda - by any means necessary. As a cover, they own and run a travel agency. They arrived in the US in August, 1965. Currently neighbours of the Beeman family.
[Image coming soon]
Phillip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russel), Paige Jennings (Holly Taylor), Henry Jennings (Keidrich Sellati)

Season 5 Recap
https://twitter.com/TheAmericansFX/status/978760918401085440

The events of the sixth season begin in 1987, three years after the conclusion of season five.

Posters

Episodes

Dead Hand March 28
Tchaikovsky April 4
Urban Transport Planning April 11
Mr. and Mrs. Teacup April 18
The Great Patriotic War April 25
Rififi May 2
Harvest May 9
The Summit May 16
Jennings, Elizabeth May 23
START May 30 (show final)

Dasvidanya, Comrades

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
reserving post

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This show is so good, going to miss it.

The season began with some crowded house so it will be a good season.

Bearded Oleg is best oleg

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Did you know that originally the mail robot was pulled along with fishing wire, but for the recent seasons they actually turned it into a giant RC car with a controller and working drive wheels.

I am glad they have invested so much into this central character.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He'll never be the head of the airforce.

I loved the intercept the courier in the airport toilet bit of spywork. We can't open this diplomatic pouch without it being detected... so we'll just x-ray it through a toilet stall instead.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Keyser_Soze posted:

Phil needs to layoff some people and lease out the extra space or move the office to some suburban strip mall. If he makes it past 1992 he can start quoting "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" type motiviations to his staff.

He will also need to pre-emptively murder the Priceline/Hotwire/Expedia people.

Episode 1 of this season had the wolf of wallstreet poster where Phillip had parked his car. I'm sure he is all about the cash phrases.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This episode was great, everything is falling into place for the home stretch. Phil is going into dark dad mode, after almost coming on board to the good old spycraft when Elizabeth used sex (for the first time in months) to get him on board with Operation Kimmy he then turned around and doesn't want anything like that for Paige.

Gelf posted:

Do you think we will ever see Martha again?

Nope. We saw her looking at the cute little kid to adopt. End of story (unless they covered post collapse of the USSR but they won't)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Henry is going to ask about something benign (scolarship) and she will snap and go all stalin on him, berating how good he has it in this capatalistic world and how she had to fight just to live to see another day.

Henry will then go tell Stan and be adopted by Stan.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/FBImailrobot/status/991884472667652096

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 3, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

GobiasIndustries posted:

not that I'm gonna go back and look it all up but I'd be curious to see what the mean and mode kill counts per season (and I guess per Liz/Phil) are. It definitely feels like more than usual.

Kill Count As of end of Season 4 - Phillip: 14 Elizabeth: 9 Both: 1. Total Killings Depicted: 53

Yeah, even with a slower S5 not factored into those numbers Elizabeth is just going wild with the bodycount this season.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That parking garage scene, my god.

Phillip, you hosed up, should have stayed home.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

Phillip and Elizabeth come home, but a light was left on. They cautiously enter the house, and a voice from the darkness says "well, well, well..." as Pastor Tim spins around in his recliner. He pulls off his dumb hair to reveal it was actually a wig the whole time
And who is it under the wing?

No other than Hollywood actor, Ronald Reagan.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've been saying for 3 years now that, assuming she survives, I want some sort of a flash forward to the fall of the Berlin Wall or the end of the Soviet Union and Elizabeth's reaction.

Total confusion? Disillusioned? Despondent? Takes the pill?
I don't think the characters in the show will see the fall of the berlin wall, but I could kinda see the show doing a final montage scene to end the show: The berlin wall coming down with tv reporters around the world commentating, the thawing of the cold war, Gorbachev resignation speech and ending on the hammer and sickle flag lowering over the Kremlin for the last time on Christmas day 1991.

Fade to black as Back in the USSR by The Beatles plays over the credits. (or Born in the USA by bruce springsteen with footage of his east berlin concert shown)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 12, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
fuuuuck that promo.

Man, I'm going to miss the hell out of this show.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He was being the local friendly weed dealer who had good taste in music.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I am not ready for next week.

I don't want it to be over.

https://twitter.com/TheAmericansFX/status/999696531119919104
'best scenes' from the actors

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 25, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
wow, this is how it ends?!

Matthew Rhys directs Noah Emmerich during a scene from episode 2 of this season. Or Phillip is just infiltrating the FBI via a guided tour from Stan. Still looks weird though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I liked it. It wasn't an overly dramatic ending (except the reveal to stan) and it served well as an end to the show after 6 years.

The only problem I had is the fact that Paige should have been bawling her eyes out from the moment they got into the car and drove past Stan all the way to the McDonalds, unable to say goodbye to Henry because she was crying.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, if I were in Stan's shoes in that garage, I'd have made the price for letting them go that either Phil or Liz stayed behind.

I am sort of surprised he didn't just eat his gun right there.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Mameluke posted:

Paige doesn't have to be involved. She got back to DC undetected by herself from directly beside the Canadian border in upstate NY. Even when she's caught she's probably resourceful enough to get out of being caught for doing anything.

With zero cash, given that Elizabeth took it while they were burying their possessions.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some of the notable deaths in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrnq31SPYA

It is nowhere near the full list, but man, this show was brutal.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I feel the Stan and Henry spinoff should be called ‘Beeman and Son*’. Maybe they could become PIs in a multicam sitcom. Featuring Mail Robot, of course.

The mail robot is the chief and hands out the casefiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Keri Russel has been cast in episode 9 of starwars, I doubt she'll be folding rebels into suitcases though.

• Locked thread