Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Henchman of Santa posted:

Only 10 episodes?

Atlanta is only 9, too. Are they shoehorning too much stuff in?

e- I like that American still uses those old-school cardstock boarding passes like it's 1987.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lift that poo poo, Henry, you dork, you had the goalie dead to rights.

Second generation Superspy Paige is going to be a hard sell, methinks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Oh poo poo, we could get Phillip vs. Elizabeth? :tviv:

More specifically, he, Arkady, and Railroad Engineer Oleg.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 29, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wow, Paige is a believer in "The Nazis Had Some Good Ideas", eh?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Did they blow the whole soundtrack budget in this episode?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Why do I feel like the mother/daughter moment is foreshadowing for later this season?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How did Donald Blythe become VP if he was a Soviet informer?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Yeah, that doesn't sound like Stavos."

Phil just dunking on Henry the Dork.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Paige, I forced you into this life and when you disobey my orders, you anger me for reacting as anyone would when they saw someone's face covered in blood for the first time. And GO HOME, YOU CAN'T STAY HERE."

Then Philip calls Elizabeth on the guy having access to the radiation sensor. "Had." :golfclap:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elizabeth's going to have blind loyalty toward The Cause until the bitter end.

e- This is not the NHL GDT.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 12, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Skipping the replies until I see the full episode, but I'm catching up now and I'd watch a series about Dupont Circle Travel starring Philip Jennings.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bvlah posted:

Can someone explain what that whole derail of tuition with the school official about? Is it just showing Phil's business is slowly declining?

It could be that, tied in with the reference in the last episode to the agency losing a big contract. It could also be keeping Henry somewhat relevant in spite of the writers sending him to his home planet boarding school.

ekeog posted:

more heartbreaking: ends up working with her dad against Elizabeth, after multiple seasons spent showing this special relationship they have as she's learned about Russia

Elizabeth's :ussr: indoctrination of Paige seems to be self-serving, though Paige does seem to be at least partially genuinely curious. It backfiring would be a fun twist.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

Phil needs to layoff some people and lease out the extra space or move the office to some suburban strip mall. If he makes it past 1992 he can start quoting "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" type motiviations to his staff.

He will also need to pre-emptively murder the Priceline/Hotwire/Expedia people.

Just tell Elizabeth they're a threat to the great goals of the :ussr: and she'll handle the rest. Job done.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okroshka, I think.Zharkoye. A good deal of them are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_dishes

They were talking about making Golubtsy and Solyanka.

Kvass was mentioned last season - that agricultural guy mentioned trying to make it for himself.

I didn't understand why she was insistent on either eating or pitching it. Short shelf life or paranoia?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Paige's naivete is cute.

Pa: "He killed himself. Mom tried to stop him. :shrug:"
Ph: "Riiiiiiight...why do you think he did that? (pause) Why did he kill himself, Elizabeth? I'm sure there's a reason."
:ussr:: "You'd have to ask him."
Pa: "Sometimes, bad things happen in the world, and-- :shrug:"

She's not cut out for this no matter how much Elizabeth wants it to be, and it looks like Liz is realizing this.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Oh hey she's back :ohdear:

Everything about the Kimmie plotline has been gross from the word go and unpleasant to watch.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

canyoneer posted:

And she embarrassed that poor, dying woman for nothing.

The cancer patient wife is painful to watch, but Liz getting puked on was karma.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm gonna come back and edit this when I finish the episode but:

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeaaaaa this is gonna go horribly wrong

"What if he cheats the lie detector?"
"He won't risk it." :ussr:
"What if he does? She'll rot in a Bulgarian prison?"
"It'll be fine." :ussr:

howe_sam posted:

Paige handing those dudes their asses was great then...

:stonklol:

Oh good, they took the grossest storyline from this show and made that finally happen and it wasn't even implied, we just watched. :suicide:

sportsgenius86 posted:

This lady makes me kinda glad she has cancer tbh

She's the least sympathetic critically ill person I've ever seen on a TV show. They do a good job of taking someone in horrible pain facing their mortality who you'd instictively feel sympathetic toward and making you instead go "just die already", which is something I wouldn't say otherwise.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 26, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, I can't remember - did Elizabeth actually get the go-ahead to kill them? I remember Claudia saying something to the effect of "something might have to be done," but I'm wondering if Liz, all hyped up on hypernationalism and anger/disappointment with Paige, just decided to recklessly off Gennadi. I mean, she had *no* op support whatsoever.

I also wonder if it's a misstep because when the CIA realizes somebody took the back entrance to murder two Russians in Witness Protection, it'll be automatic that "The Russians did this".

Also, Stan's description instantly made Phil realize who it was.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

After Phil gets deported, I am sure they will live happily ever after. That's definitely the kind of show this is.

I could see some sort of "Elizabeth dies, Phil goes back to Martha in :ussr:" thing happening.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I think an F-bomb was dropped in the bar fight between Paige and the drunk guys.

Atlanta is now using the word liberally in episodes.

tomapot posted:

I've always been a little critical of Elizabeth's super spy storyline and always winning against the Americans. I know she's the central character, but can always be that good/lucky? Anyway, not sure if I want her to get caught or die (or by who's hand), but I'd like her to lose in the end.

I never thought of it that way, but it now reminds me of House of Cards where everything for several seasons too conveniently goes the Underwoods' way to the point of it seeming like a weakness of the show and just accepting and having to deal with it.

Selachian posted:

Also, Stan is your rear end in a top hat uncle who has to drag politics into the Thanksgiving toast.

I could've done without the toast. It felt like a scene where Phil and Paige should've burst out laughing afterwards at the irony.

I quit watching Archer three episodes into last season. Is this one of the many high-brow jokes that dragged the show down?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Watching the episode online and, after watching the same trailer at every break, I can conclusively say that I do I not want to see Ocean's 8.

I was starting to wonder when Liz's sidekick with the case of RBF would get it and, about 15 seconds later...

Zero One posted:

Poor dumb Stan

E; maybe not anymore

Yeah, clueless Henry's going to start sinking the ship.

In so many ways. :stonklol:

e- Jesus CHRIST, they left the rest. :stonklol::stonklol::stonklol:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 10, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gonz posted:

Liz strapped to a chair with her eyelieds held open while watching CNN on 12/25/91.

Intense comedy.

I've been saying for 3 years now that, assuming she survives, I want some sort of a flash forward to the fall of the Berlin Wall or the end of the Soviet Union and Elizabeth's reaction.

Total confusion? Disillusioned? Despondent? Takes the pill?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Stan figures out that they are Soviet spies. Instead of turning them in, he does the neighborly thing and invites himself over, takes a beer from their fridge, and asks them to please stop spying.
Stan is no snitch.

He wouldn't make it out the front door without feeling the choking embrace of the greatest female warrior of the :ussr:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Another ongoing thoughts post watching the episode on a delay:

-Paige's naivete, albeit understandable, is irritatingly adorable. She feels like a new partner trying to learn as quickly as possible about something their SO is into. "Did you ever meet the guy who's been running The Cause for two years now even though neither of you have been back to :ussr: in years?" :3:

-The cancer patient story feels like it could have the most hosed up ending on FX since Shane poisoned Mara and Jackson. Then again, we are watching the show with Kimmie. (e- Ayupppppp, but...I'm...glad? Thanks Liz?)

howe_sam posted:

:suspense:

I have to say though Elizabeth, that was all on you, no matter how hard you try to redirect onto Philip.

Elizabeth has two tracks in her mind:
1) "Anything for :ussr:" (has any thread on SA used that emote more often than these have?)
2) It's all your fault.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Take one of the paintings Liz. Let it haunt you for all two of the hours you have left on this earth

EDIT: And then try to fit it into your station wagon, I'm not sure what the metaphor on that one is but I'm sure it's good.

She picked the one which looks the most like the woman living in agonizing pain she just killed looking like she's in agonizing pain.

Also, the American flag on the left rear window of the wagon was a great touch.

e- After all these years, Liz seems to realize she's just an expendable pawn in a much larger game and it didn't matter what happened as long as Gorbachev was removed. Are we going to get the fury of Liz being used against the machine that created it? I like how Liz was seemingly disarmed by Philip's explanation that "I was doing what was best for our country. It's what you would've done."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 17, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

She wasn't in disguise with Gregory from what I recall. He was the black communist sympathizer from season 1 who committed suicide by cop.

No, as I remember she just jumped right in with the Civil Rights activists as herself and then got it on with Gregory with no disguise. She took it hard when he was killed, too.

That would be a hell of a way for them to callback to the first season to bring Liz down.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Delayed watch thread:

-We always thought Liz's passion was at this level: :ussr:, but then Claudia's at the level of :ussr: :ussr: :ussr: and Margo Martindale knocked it out of the park for her silent rage.

-"You should have known better than to lie to me." is one of the best lines in this series, because drat, it's fitting. She's about the last person on this show you'd want to cross.

-PAIGE AND LIZ hosed THE SAME GUY. :barf:

-"Hello, I won't be ab-le to make it to din-ner tonight." Get the bug-out bag, Liz.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Oh, right, I have a boy, too. What's his name, Harry? We should take him with us.

...no?"

howe_sam posted:

Exhuming McCarthy or It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) for maximum laughs.

Also, a reminder that this exists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBxUgqe8eQ

:tviv: :aaaaa:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I've been waiting since this show started to see how it ends. This feels like the end of a vacation. Time for one last delayed-watch thoughts post for the road:

-As I posted in the little bit I was able to watch last night, Liz remembers she has a son now, apparently!
-Aw, Paigey, you're so cute. So, so naive. What did you think would happen if super spy time went to poo poo? :allears:
-I enjoyed Stan intercepting the Jennings in the garage way more than I should've with Stan The Dick vs. The Totally Defensive Jennings. I fear it's gonna end badly for Stan.
--Did anybody else pick up a hint of a Welsh accent break through during Phil's speech?
--And there's the Renee payoff?
-Oh man, the goodbye call is gutwrenching. :(
-With or Withoooooooooooooooout Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
-The crossing at the border was a letd--:tviv::tviv::tviv:.
--I'm going to miss Holly Taylor's common deer-in-headlights look.
-Oh drat, timejump to the 1960s. And "I didn't want kids anyway"- is that implying Gregory blew a load in Eliz---WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? :catdrugs:
-Did :ussr: drive on the left side of the road? :confused:

Final thoughts:
This finale was slightly disappointing and not what I expected out of FX. I do find it surprising that they've been letting all the main characters survive in their own ways lately with Justified and now this, as opposed to Shane going full Benoit in The Shield finale. Justified was at least satisfying in a way, but this wound up pretty much being "everybody winds up where they started", with the main catch being Mikhail/Nadezhda lost their kids.

Stan being the bland, nice guy he always has been was a bit of a letdown, but I guess it helps that you assume Henry is probably his kid now.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That happens at least once per episode

I guess it was glaring to me in this episode because of how intense his speech was to Stan, combined with the thing I've heard a few times about anger/emotion bringing a native accent out in somebody who's otherwise learned to talk without it.

• Locked thread