Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Wait, 3 years have passed? That's weird because the Stan and Paige story arcs just felt like they were on the cusp of something.

I guess we'll be seeing Even More Burnt Out Philip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

howe_sam posted:

It's my understanding that Philip spends the three years basically retired and running the travel agency. Elizabeth's been doing all the heavy lifting.

Oh right, he was going to back off on everything except his skeevy sex offender cover.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I always thought Stan would find out Philip and Elizabeth are agents via some kind of FBI investigation. I just realized that the way this season is trending, the reveal might just be Philip telling him flat out, which would be amazing.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The failure of the travel agency will disillusion Philip from capitalism/the US, and he will rededicate himself to the USSR's cause with a zeal that will outstrip Elizabeth's. Stan talking about how great a government salary was was foreshadowing.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The euthanizing was also an "Elizabeth thinks for herself" moment because she could have saved her and kept her husband at the negotiations.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Philip and Elizabeth will flat-out tell Stan that they are spies in an effort to stop the Center from sabotaging the START talks. It will save the treaty but cost them their freedom. Paige and Henry become *super* hosed up.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I think the likeliest outcome is no deaths, just broken lives.

Also predicting a multi-decade flash-forward at the end of the episode.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

mr. unhsib posted:

I think the likeliest outcome is no deaths, just broken lives.

Also predicting a multi-decade flash-forward at the end of the episode.

Ugh, I wish I'd left the 2nd sentence out. Man, everyone got left in a bad place: The Jennings, Paige, Stan, Henry, Oleg, Oleg's Dad, Arkady...

phosdex posted:

I'm not sure Philip and Liz's story really needed anything more. They've returned home, together. We can pull in the real world and say they succeeded in notifying the right people to make sure the nuclear arms summit went well. START, the episode title, was the name of the disarmament treaty the us and ussr signed.

We're told Oleg will do a long prison sentence. Stan will doubt his wife, like he did Nina. Henry will just be Henry. Paige I guess is pretty open for possibilities.

I mean, there are a lot of threads that can be picked up. Philip can reconnect with his Russian son, or even Martha. Paige's future is an open book. Elizabeth is going to have to deal with the USSR collapsing soon, and may regret her actions to support Gorbachev. Though it may mean they can see the kids again.

When the series started I remember thinking that more than anything I wanted to see Elizabeth experience the fall of communism. We didn't get that but I was still pretty satisfied with the ending. Never saw another show quite like it, and I don't think I ever will.

Oh, and they played the Renee thing perfectly. A definitive reveal would have been pointless, but leaving her to ambiguously poison Stan's future was effective.

Everyone's talking about the garage scene, and it was great, but the final scene is what will stick with me.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 31, 2018

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The suit was retail therapy. He was feeling like poo poo so he bought some nice clothes and went line dancing.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

esperterra posted:

Also can I just say I legit got goosebumps when Arkady and the Jennings finally, silently met face to face.

I read a review that said they've met before in season 2, apparently. But I can't remember it...season 2 was by far the weakest season, anyways.

Probably time for a rewatch :)

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

LinkesAuge posted:

This was overall a weak final season and everything was resolved far too easily considering the stakes.I'm especially disappointed that they didn't bring the Phil/Liz conflict to a different place and just went with "they love each other afterall and get along in the end". There was a lot of dramatic potential with them, the kids and Stan and it really wasn't taken advantage of.

I mean, that kind of happened early in the season with Philip cutting off Kimmy and beating the crap out of Paige. It ended with him going to Chicago to bail out Elizabeth. The point of this whole show is the bond between the two - the first (and for the longest time, only) compromise Philip and Elizabeth made in their spycraft was to make their cover marriage real. In that context, Philip and Elizabeth outright fighting would require a LOT of tearing down, then building back up. Not to say that it wasn't an option, but it was never going to happen in the context of one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think he "beat the crap out of Paige," but rather did just enough to demonstrate that he was more than she was making him out to be. And that's an important lesson.

That scene reminded me of the time Liz tried to stick that guy with a syringe in the men's bathroom and nearly got beaten to death. She overestimated herself and underestimated her opponent - the only thing that saved her was her plot armor.

Philip wasn't doing that to Paige for himself, he did it to demonstrate that despite hurting those 2 drunk guys in a bar, her combat skills aren't close to ready to be used in the field, causing her to doubt herself. "Beat the crap" was probably the wrong term, but it was a moment in which he acted against Elizabeth's intentions for Paige.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 1, 2018

• Locked thread