Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Finally Phil vs Liz is finally happening :neckbeard:

drunkill posted:

Bearded Oleg is best oleg

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I ask her to please bring me another beer. She was already standing." Stan is like c'mon dude get it together.

The final shot of the scene where Elizabeth was talking to Paige about sex and espionage had 2 of the worst CGI vehicles I have ever seen. It was glaringly bad.

Baronash posted:

drat, I feel like straight murder will be a bit harder for Paige to rationalize. Though it might be a nice barometer to see the direction they are taking her this season.

Good episode overall. Definitely felt like it was geared more towards moving pieces around, and I'm psyched for where they seem to be going.

At least she didn't walk in on Elizabeth loving some dude then killing him :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phillip can't pay his bills. I guess he isn't working magic at the travel agency.

Why do I feel like Sofia is going to be the victim of domestic violence in the next episode?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Elizabeth's going to have blind loyalty toward The Cause until the bitter end.

I wouldn't want it any other way :ussr:

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ok that may or may not have been a gigantic red flag from Stan's girlfriend

It's ok, Stan told her she's too old to join the FBI :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phillip v Elizabeth is getting more intense now. "Mom said he killed himself. He was troubled." :v: Oh poor sweet Paige. Totally expecting Paige's attempt to get the intern as a source to blow up in her face.

howe_sam posted:

Cool that Elizabeth killed all those dudes for nothing.

Was it just me or was that scene really dark in terms of lighting? It was hard to make out what was going on for some parts of it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mr. unhsib posted:

The failure of the travel agency will disillusion Philip from capitalism/the US, and he will rededicate himself to the USSR's cause with a zeal that will outstrip Elizabeth's. Stan talking about how great a government salary was was foreshadowing.

Both of them doing a 180 would be hilarious. Phillip goes hard for the cause and Elizabeth becomes, in her words, a bourgie artist :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phillip no :(

Oleg :ohdear: I don't think he's going to get a happy ending in this show

DarklyDreaming posted:

That's uh... Gonna be a problem sometime Elizabeth

C'mon Elizabeth, killing the kid is the easy part. He's so small and weak! :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

i can only hope him dying satisfies the show's bloodlust enough to let Oleg have a happy ending.

at this point him and henry are like, the only ones likely to not be dead or Heisenberg by the time this is done

Tatiana is out for vengeance. Oleg isn't going to see his wife and son again :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hed posted:

Man the Soviets are really proud about using 1/7 of their population to turn back the eastern front.

I bet Claudia didn't mention anything about Stalin being an idiot and having all the experienced military commanders executed in purges before Germany attacked. :ussr:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You just wanted to gently caress her. You weren't getting enough action here. :stonklol:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder what will be more heartbreaking for Stan: finding out that Phil and Liz are spies through his work at the FBI or having one of them reveal it to him? :ohdear:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yea I didn't mean that Phil would reveal himself to Stan for the next episode, I just meant in general.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Only mail robot will have a happy ending.

Epilogue scene: Mail robot is replaced by a human worker. :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still think that Phillip will crack and talk to Stan before he finally pieces it together.

I bet Elizabeth will be the last one standing, just so she can draw stuff. Alone. Forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zero One posted:

Stavos knew!

I was raised to be loyal :smith:

howe_sam posted:

Kind of funny that Elizabeth's patriotism(?) makes her balk at deposing Gorbachev :ussr:

She listened to Phillip and now she's thinking for herself. :3:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It will turn out that Renee is a spy...

... for Britain :britain:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I can't believe that was the penultimate episode. The finale is going to be insanely packed, maybe too much so.

howe_sam posted:

Oleg is the best man, :unsmith:
:same:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Paige you dumbass both of your parents have hosed half of D.C.
Her naivete is adorable.

Annual Prophet posted:

yeah looked like vera cherny to me
Yea it definitely her. Probably saw it as her chance to get back into their good graces instead of being frozen without a promotion forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Accretionist posted:

If Phil goes back to Russia, to Martha? I will laugh so hard that I may tear something.

Same but it's Elizabeth who survives instead. They can be neighbors!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That finale was kinda poo poo tbqh. The only good scene was the underground garage confrontation. I wasn't expecting a giant bloodbath or anything, but this was just :geno: Considering how good the last few episodes were, this just kinda whimpered out.

beanieson posted:

lmao Stan is gonna drive up to Henry’s school to intercept them there, and they just never show up to get him.

This would have been perfect.

beanieson posted:

So what’s was the moment the show runners are going to hell for

This lame unsatisfying ending.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nichael posted:

It was :geno: because that's all it had to be. Phillip and Elizabeth are proven great spies, who were trained in last minute extraction. They continued to be good spies, and got out. It probably would've made less sense if there was some sort of fatal error and shoot out.

My counterpoint would be what happened with Martha. Phil and Liz did their job with her and got her out. The scene with her leaving in the plane could've been the last one we saw of her. The show could have left us wondering if she was actually taken to Russia or if the pilot just put a bullet in her head after landing in Cuba. But instead the writers showed us that she was living in Russia and got a kid. It didn't need to give us closure on what happened to her, but it did and it was much better for it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's the pre-show background we have on Stan that makes the whole garage thing make sense. They've done super hosed up poo poo but I think deep down he feels like they're good people. Mostly because he thinks the same thing about himself to keep the guilt from crushing him. Instead of treating them like they're just monsters doing whatever they have to for their cause, he has a more human response because it's basically the only way he can go on without having to carry that same burden about himself.

Part of that was also Phillip playing Stan. Stan very much wanted to believe they were still good people deep down. If he had proof they actually murdered a shitload of people, I don't think that garage scene would have gone the same way.

Scene was very good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mr. unhsib posted:

I read a review that said they've met before in season 2, apparently. But I can't remember it...season 2 was by far the weakest season, anyways.

Probably time for a rewatch :)

Season 3 and 5 were real weak. Season 2 was good until the hilariously bad finale in which the kid spouted exposition for 5 minutes after getting shot in the throat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm okay with Stan letting them go but I just don't buy it. I figured he'd call it in right after - so they'd still get captured. He's gonna be even more pissed once he figures out how many bodies they've actually dropped (including his former partner).

It is a little unbelievable, since one of his suspicions was that they were at Chicago a few days ago where 2 agents were killed.

Stan just wanted a friend :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think they wiped down their whole house for fingerprints.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Even if Gorby didn't pull strings, I think Oleg would be cut loose in a few years. He didn't actually do anything.

Paige spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mulva posted:

Liz dedicated her life to a dream that her nation will poo poo on in the most egregious way. Her nation's leadership will sell out everything in the search for DOLLAR DOLLAR BILLS YA'LL, it's culture will embrace the Western trappings she hated to the core of her being, and the world will make a mad sprint to abandon the Communist ideals she fully embraces. And she has years before that eventuality where the Soviet Union is still a thing, and she gets to watch what an abject failure it really was as a government. Like it can be cathartic or frightening to look at some of our current government's and decry their failure and incompetence, but the Soviets lost the thread on a whole other level. There's nothing unfixable in America or Britain or most other places you care to name. Liz is going to have a few years before they finally just write it off to see the government she sold her body and soul for just collapse, utterly, on even the most basic level.

I do not see her ever being truly happy in a world where that happens. Maybe resigned, but yeah. For all her good Communist hatred of religion, that's what her nation was to her. A distant ideal she gave herself over to that was never real to begin with. Liz could only be herself in America, because being in America allowed her the pretense that Russia was better. In Russia she'll see that not only isn't it better, it's not even different. As has been said she's a bit over 2 years from seeing the first McDonald's open in the Soviet Union, and the place was mobbed. It was such a big deal Yeltsin showed up. She's about to lose the grand fantasy of what the Soviet Union was, and I imagine it'll be devastating.

Nah no one wants to see that.

Instead we can let people ~*imagine*~ it in their minds. :v:

• Locked thread