Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
3 out of 5 people who creeped on Paige in this show have been stabbed in the neck or balls for it. Only pervert by the lake and mugger #2 outside the food pantry have gotten away with it.

Trifle with Jennings women at your own peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, and mugger #2 got KGB kung-fu'd in the face. They got off easy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I imagine that the skills that a deep cover spy has developed would make him a pretty competent business owner.

Attention to detail, sharp memory, interpersonal skills, manipulation, fast thinking, strategic orientation, project management from running simultaneous operations

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

phosdex posted:

Oh I forgot about the Canada Cup, the '87 Canadian team was an incredible lineup. 12 future hall of famers, team was so stacked that they decided to not include Patrick Roy or Steve Yzerman. This video of Gretzky highlights from it is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgnzZZ7cduQ. The 2 on 1 with Gretzky and Lemieux is one of my favorite moments.

The 30 for 30 on the Soviet hockey teams from that era is amazing. There were some really incredible athletes with great synergy

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Paige would also get arrested and I don't think Phil would be ok with that

Philip and Henry drive off into the sunset in a white Camaro with their Ray Bans.

Earwicker posted:

on the other hand it's a more chaotic time to be training and by the time she's a competent operative "the cause" will no longer exist as such.

Yeah, the mentoring/training in this show has ended poorly for everyone. The kid who killed his parents had a pretty bad experience. Tuan had some missteps and isn't going to make it (in Elizabeth's professional opinion). And poor Hans was unceremoniously executed and dumped.
There's not much margin for error in this spy game and Paige's parents can't swoop in to save her every time

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I really feel like Stan's girlfriend is going to become a problem for the Jennings. I don't want to get too committed to that idea though because they might be trying to trick me!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My prediction: the mail robot is the only main character left alive.

Everyone would have felt bad about Gadd's death had he not abused that poor, pure mail robot

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/981090176368857089

2018 Russian postal service cannot replicate the success of the 1970's FBI mail robot

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Glad that mail robot is back. Missed you, buddy.

Stan is going to be so hurt when he finds out about Phillip. It's going to break his heart.

And I bet cyanide pill gets used on cancer wife

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bvlah posted:

Can someone explain what that whole derail of tuition with the school official about? Is it just showing Phil's business is slowly declining?

I'm not sure. I wonder if we're supposed to read that as they're getting less financial support from Directorate S and they're expected to be more self reliant.
We've never seen the Jennings' have any kind of financial struggle. They live in a nice neighborhood in a well furnished house, Philip bought a Camaro essentially on an impulse, and Elizabeth and Philip have closets full of nice clothes.
This could be a setup for the idea that Philip is not cut out for civilian life and the 9-5 schedule.

That scene with the FBI intercepting Gennadi and Sofia was great. Loved the impotent rage and protests of their Soviet handlers.

ekeog posted:

more heartbreaking: ends up working with her dad against Elizabeth, after multiple seasons spent showing this special relationship they have as she's learned about Russia

Could be that Gennadi and Sofia's story is foreshadowing something like this. Stan dropped a truthbomb on Gennadi that there's no scenario in which he gets to see his son again because the three of them need to go into hiding and Sofia wants a divorce.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think he's really out. He's still an asset, as shown by when Oleg meets up with him.

Yeah, I sort of see him as on reserve now. I see it as Elizabeth is being something of a martyr doing it all herself and picking up the slack.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Cool that Elizabeth killed all those dudes for nothing.

And she embarrassed that poor, dying woman for nothing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh good, they took the grossest storyline from this show and made that finally happen and it wasn't even implied, we just watched them a'gettin' it on. :suicide:

But hey, at least she was an adult! (that had been groomed since she was 15 :barf:)

Nichael posted:

That was the most disturbing episode of this show ever, which is quite a thing to say considering they've killed multiple minors and old women.

You know I was worried that the kid was going to see Elizabeth and she was going to have to kill him too.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can someone remind me what was up with Oleg and Tatiana? I don’t remember their story except that they used to sleep together.

Tatiana was working the bioweapons thing, on higher orders keeping it a secret from both Arkady and the rest of the office. Oleg got Stan's office working on it, which led to William's arrest and got Arkady sent back to the USSR.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Didn't the US expelled Arkady in retaliation for Gaad's murder?

They cited William/bioweapons, Gaad, and the mail robot bug.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sure, she's killed a ton of naturalized Americans in the past, but this one would very plainly be an assassination by a Russian clandestine agent. It wouldn't surprise me if Oleg gets sold out or :commissar:ed even though he had nothing to do with this simply because he's not supposed to be there and it's a convenient way for the Rezidentura to dispose of him by making him the patsy.

Oof, yeah. Stan can't or won't help Oleg if that happens.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I really don't get Elizabeth's angle. I think she's trying to teach her spycraft for dummies so she knows how to handle working with the KGB and how to avoid the FBI, in preparation for the ultimate score of having a clean background and getting legitimate clearance with a sensitive organization like the CIA, FBI or State Department.
But Paige seems to think she gets to be a baby spy doing the same stuff as mom and dad but that's really, really not the point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I don't think the toast was out of character at all for Stan. He's a rah-rah turned up patriot because he's getting all amped up working with the old crew hot on the trail of an illegal, closing the net on some other spies.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Also, was this the first episode of the season where Liz hasn't dropped a body?

I had to look it up to check, but yeah, this is her first (though her mean is still above 1 per episode!)
In "Dead Hand", she stabbed that poor navy kid in the neck.
In "Tchaikovsky", she shoots the Air Force general point blank.
In "Urban Transport Planning", she kills the warehouse supervisor guy when doing the fake security audit in the last moments of the episode.
In "Mr and Mrs Teacup", she does the warehouse mission and shoots the 3 security guys.
In "The Great Patriotic War", she kills Gennadi and Sofia.
She didn't kill anyone in "Rafifi"

So that's 8 in 6 episodes, slow down Liz

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Stan’s girlfriend finally gets her FBI job and it’s as the replacement for mail robot

Mail Robot starts training his replacement and sparks a passionate affair. When she breaks up with Stan and moves out, she takes his copy of Strat O Matic football with her.
Stan has nothing left.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There is no way Oleg is not being made the patsy when all of this goes tits up. It's too convenient for the 'bad' Soviets.

It would also be the Soviet-est thing possible. Stan and Oleg wind up dead or imprisoned, and one of the Jennings parents kills the other and flees to Nicaragua with nothing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

esperterra posted:

I think so. As cold and calculating as Elizabeth is, it's very clear how much she loves Philip, and now Paige. I don't think she wants her to end up as miserable as he is, and can see p clearly that's almost definitely what Paige has in store if she commits.

This episode was satisfying in ways I cannot even begin to articulate!!

Yeahhhh.

The original, not terrible plan was to have her be a mole in the State Department in deep cover, rather than be a second generation illegal operating the exact same way.

The discussion was definitely an invitation to quit, but if she's going to continue, she needs to go through the channels that only she has access to (a free and clear background check to work for the government). Elizabeth has probably known that for a while, but maybe it took killing 2 FBI agents and leaving a van with a cyanide poisoned asset and a headless and handless Marilyn to remind her about how Paige's inexperience and mistakes will get her killed.

LinkesAuge posted:

hmm that Stan gets now suspicious feels forced. He didn't really get new information he didn't have before but suddenly he starts to remember things that have always been there? It feels more like the writers just pushed the "Stan finally puts things together" button but without really backing it up within the show, it honestly feels kind of lazy. I'm not too impressed with the overall pacing of this season, it seemed they were building up tension between Liz and Philipp but then decided to release much of it again.
It's also super weird that the politics of this time are not a huge concern for both, you would have thought that this is going to be a major thing in this series, they should be struggling with what is obviously going on in and around the USSR.

I don't know, I think the timing is OK. When he was deep in counterintelligence, he was so occupied with all the day to day work and his family falling apart that he never gave it a second thought. Plus, remember, Stan did try breaking into the garage in the very first episode.
It feels like a natural break. He's getting back into the counterintelligence game with all that experience, but no more distractions. He's something of an outsider, with a lot of inside knowledge.

I would have thought that politics would be a bigger factor, but P&E really don't trust anything in the American media

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

In so many ways. :stonklol:

e- Jesus CHRIST, they left the rest. :stonklol::stonklol::stonklol:

Didn't even drag it back into the van!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

phosdex posted:

well the writers did say there was a scene they were going to hell for

Well I'm horrified if it's supposed to top the entire storylines of Kimmy and/or Young-Hee. Both of those were horrible

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Gonz posted:

Paige has been working for Stan and the FBI this whole time.

Phillip and Elizabeth come home, but a light was left on. They cautiously enter the house, and a voice from the darkness says "well, well, well..." as Pastor Tim spins around in his recliner. He pulls off his dumb hair to reveal it was actually a wig the whole time

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Stan figures out that they are Soviet spies. Instead of turning them in, he does the neighborly thing and invites himself over, takes a beer from their fridge, and asks them to please stop spying.
Stan is no snitch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

He wouldn't make it out the front door without feeling the choking embrace of the greatest female warrior of the :ussr:.

They'd repeat the alley-oop neck break they did on that poor botanist at the research facility.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

That Liz "euthanasia" scene was one of the more disturbing things I've seen in a while

"Don't worry guy, I got this. Done it a hundred times! The hard part is hands and head in a duffel bag or whole body intact in a suitcase, this one's a piece of cake by comparison"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

e: And I think, after this episode, that Renee was a red herring all along.

Then you haven't been paying attention, this is 4 dimensional chess.

Renee finally lands an interview at the FBI. Same scene, she suggests they go eat Thai food. Who else was FBI connected and appreciates Thai cuisine/culture? Frank Gaad. Five episodes after his accidental death, Renee meets Stan at the gym.

Renee has a connection to Gaad, and is here to tie up his loose ends. Gaad's life started falling apart when he abused Mail Robot. She's here to seek vengeance.

Actually, it would be SUPER GREAT if she lists Phillip and Elizabeth as references for her FBI background check and the scrutiny there is what ends up getting them made

• Locked thread